(Topic ID: 255797)

Should I fight this rental car damage claim or use my AMEX insurance?

By jake35

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by RipleYYY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BCB56D76-FC3D-4DA7-B184-203C2537246B (resized).jpeg
    nypd_blew.gif

#1 3 months ago

I rented a car with "Advantage" car rental in Orlando (never use them). Anyway, after the dropping off the van to them in the Orlando airport parking garage, the attendant checked the mileage fuel etc. and we were on our way. 3 weeks later (today) I get a bill from them for $2,900 for repairs that were needed. Apparently some dimwit must have damaged the pass side door after we dropped it off.

Should I fight it or just let my insurance pay? They claim they don't inspect them until the next day after they are dropped off, and I am liable until then, which is BS.

#2 3 months ago

That's total bs. That car is immediately washed and prepped and out the gate again with someone else. Prob damaged
    when they pulled into/out prep area. I would certainly bring to AMEX attention with their coverage. I always use my AMEX
    for car rentals but fortunately never had an issue like this. Never used Advantage before but rented plenty in Orlando
    airport.

#3 3 months ago

A rental co tried that with us a few yrs ago. We had the receipt in which the return agent okayed the car. When notified of that, they quickly said oops and goodbye. Also, always take before and after pics with the dates

#4 3 months ago

Amex, and fight....Ive had this happen to me several times.
    I now take full photos around any car I rent before I leave, in addition to the paper they ask me to Mark,
    and I take photos on return, either with employee, or identifying drop off.
    I always have a receipt of cleared return.
    in doing this, I still experienced as you did, but when I email car co, and cc, I fight for
    the entire bill to be comped for their fraudulent charges.

Pisses me off, but what choice do I have these days.

#5 3 months ago

+1 what Art says.
    My local car dealer films vehicles with an IPad BEFORE they accept it for service. Seems prudent ANY company these days with high dollar items should do the same.
    A picture (short video) is worth 1000 words, or $2900 in this case. I used to say who needs a camera on a phone but have had this proven to be worth it's weight in gold many times. Usually at the scene of an accident. Very hard to argue with photos taken immediately after getting rear ended!

Read your contract and see what it says about drop off & inspection. <--

Smells fishy to me sir.

Fight on!

#6 3 months ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I now take full photos around any car I rent before I leave, in addition to the paper they ask me to Mark,
    in doing this, I still experienced as you did, but when I email car co, and cc, I fight for

thanks, I've never used my AMEX insurance but guess I will have to, I guess they don't drop after one claim? It's BS that I even have to use them at all~

#7 3 months ago

I'd fight it, you don't want to lose your AMEX insurance. You could try calling AMEX and explain the deal, but I'm not sure if they'll fight for you the way a normal insurance co. would (to avoid making the payment), or if they'll just write it off as a cost of doing business they way they do with credit card fraud.

#8 3 months ago

never leave a rental car without getting signed off on the return !

#9 3 months ago

Sounds like they are trying to take... Adva... ah crap I can't do it.

nypd_blew.gif

#10 3 months ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

so Amex doesn't drop you after one claim? I am fighting it now with these turkeys but if I have to use their insurance I guess I will.

#11 3 months ago

Should the claim prove legit, and AMEX offers no help, fight it with your current auto insurance?

#12 3 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Should the claim prove legit, and AMEX offers no help, fight it with your current auto insurance?

Yes......

And no, Amex shouldnt drop you.

#13 3 months ago

All you need is a copy of the original drop off receipt. If no damage is noted, it is not your issue. I always take a picture of the mileage, outside of car and keep the fuel and drop off receipts. Had issues with several rental car agencies while on business trips. My receipts have kept me out of trouble.

#14 3 months ago

They emailed me a completed invoice that has no damage noted, just mileage etc. and the date and time. So I will respond with that attached and fight it. Sounds like I've been lucky up until now, I've never had an issue before but will be more careful in the future with receipts etc.

Quoted from LukyDuck:

All you need is a copy of the original drop off receipt. If no damage is noted, it is not your issue. I always take a picture of the mileage, outside of car and keep the fuel and drop off receipts. Had issues with several rental car agencies while on business trips. My receipts have kept me out of trouble.

#15 3 months ago
    Quoted from jake35:

They emailed me a completed invoice that has no damage noted, just mileage etc. and the date and time. So I will respond with that attached and fight it. Sounds like I've been lucky up until now, I've never had an issue before but will be more careful in the future with receipts etc.

It sucks that you have to protect yourself so much in regards to rental cars. Never had issues with them until the last 10 years or so. Usually I provide the document/evidence to the rental car company and they drop the issue. I learned to document anything out of the ordinary with the car when I pick it up. Take pictures/video. And do the same when dropping off. Keep receipts for the drop off and fuel. Some like to try and charge you for a full tank of gas after you have left or claim the damage they did was your fault. It’s sucks but I learned a lot from having lawyers as friends.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Hopefully, this will work out quickly for you and you can get back to your life and pinball.

#16 3 months ago
    Quoted from jake35:

I rented a car with "Advantage" car rental in Orlando (never use them). Anyway, after the dropping off the van to them in the Orlando airport parking garage, the attendant checked the mileage fuel etc. and we were on our way. 3 weeks later (today) I get a bill from them for $2,900 for repairs that were needed. Apparently some dimwit must have damaged the pass side door after we dropped it off.
    Should I fight it or just let my insurance pay? They claim they don't inspect them until the next day after they are dropped off, and I am liable until then, which is BS.

Fight it. Tell them to send you pictures of the vehicle when you dropped it off with a time and date stamp showing the damage. If there is any gap between when you dropped it and the picture they took then tell them to gtfoh. I’ve had it happen before and that’s what I did. I kept telling them ‘pics or it didn’t happen’ and they finally dropped it.

#17 3 months ago

If he’s got a signed off return form that it’s good, then it’s on them, screw ‘em. Fight it

#18 3 months ago
    Quoted from jake35:

Sounds shady to me. Of course it was the passenger door and not the driver side door.

Seems like to me you (and/or your insurance co.) should not consider paying any claim until they show you pics of the damaged passenger door with a date/timestamp that matches up close to the time you returned it, and matches they type/color of vehicle you rented, preferably also showing the matching license plate of the one you rented.

Op,
    did you take any pics of vehicle when you first got it, and also when you returned it?

#19 3 months ago

Use your auto insurance first, then your AmEx if there are any deductible costs. If your AmEx has an annual fee, they will fight for you like crazy and it should all get paid for. This is so common the rental companies have a whole separate division that handles just these types of transactions.

But if they didn't note the damage when you returned it, you may have a chance, so go ahead with emailing the receipt - however be prepared to not have that be the end of it, every company is different as far as how far they'll fight it.

You
    Should also know the $2900 is BS. That's probably a $500 scratch or dent that will get popped out in 10 seconds at their shop.

#20 3 months ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Sounds shady to me. Of course it was the passenger door and not the driver side door.
    Seems like to me you (and/or your insurance co.) should not consider paying any claim until they show you pics of the damaged passenger door with a date/timestamp that matches up close to the time you returned it, and matches they type/color of vehicle you rented, preferably also showing the matching license plate of the one you rented.
    Op,
    did you take any pics of vehicle when you first got it, and also when you returned it?

Fortunately I did, mainly because i found it odd that when i picked it up no one did an inspection prior to me leaving. They just gave me the keys in the office with a rental form to show the parking lot attendant so he could raise the bar and let me out.

I sent it to them and spoke to a manager yesterday and she closed the case since the photo details showed the date and time matched when I had checked out, plus the date of loss on their letter was the next day after I dropped it off. Really shady and crappy on their part.

What's funny is they claimed the pass side door was so damaged that it couldnt slide open, yet all 4 of my backseat passengers were able to exit out that door with no issue upon returning it. I definitely learned a lesson and would always take photos in the future!

#21 3 months ago

Congrats on a positive outcome! Consider reporting this branch to Advantage corporate. The company has a bad reputation for customer service, but it’s possible HQ might be interested in scams being run out of local offices. If you use Facebook, Twitter, etc. you should light them up there as well. The only way these practices stop is if they’re called out on them.

#22 3 months ago
    Quoted from jake35:

Fortunately I did, mainly because i found it odd that when i picked it up no one did an inspection prior to me leaving. They just gave me the keys in the office with a rental form to show the parking lot attendant so he could raise the bar and let me out.
    I sent it to them and spoke to a manager yesterday and she closed the case since the photo details showed the date and time matched when I had checked out, plus the date of loss on their letter was the next day after I dropped it off. Really shady and crappy on their part.
    What's funny is they claimed the pass side door was so damaged that it couldnt slide open, yet all 4 of my backseat passengers were able to exit out that door with no issue upon returning it. I definitely learned a lesson and would always take photos in the future!

That is crazy! Renter emptor, I guess

#23 3 months ago

I would definitely bitch to corporate! You need to make them aware of the shady dealings at one of their locations, and you might well get comped for a car in the future as a bonus!

#24 3 months ago

And I'm SURE their not inspecting your car when returned was intentional. Gives them plausible deniability in case the scam goes south!

#25 3 months ago

Owns 14 pinball machines

Scoffs at $10/day insurance

#26 3 months ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Owns 14 pinball machines

BCB56D76-FC3D-4DA7-B184-203C2537246B (resized).jpeg
    #27 3 months ago

Big permmm...

Seriously though

The cheapest sums of beaches seem to be into pinball

#28 3 months ago

Owns 14 pinball machines

So he should buy the insurance to keep them from ripping him off, basically a payoff? Seems like bullshit to me. He’s already got insurance (x2 actually, with the AMEX), why should he pay for more? If he damaged the car he’d take the consequences. He just didn’t want these douchebags to take him, or his insurance company, for a $3k ride. And good for him.

#29 3 months ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

So he should buy the insurance to keep them from ripping him off, basically a payoff?

Yup, welcome to the world of tyranny

Guess what happens when you don’t pay this ransom called “property tax”

#30 3 months ago

Owns 14 pinball machines

I have a high end CC that covers these things, I have to decline that rip off from the rent companies. Why pay twice for insurance for the same rental?

#31 3 months ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Why pay twice for insurance for the same rental?

For peace of mind

No scary letters demanding $$$

No calls to make fighting Your case. No pinside threads to make.

And no stress which leads to hypertension, heart attack and stroke.

#32 3 months ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

I have a high end CC that covers these things, I have to decline that rip off from the rent companies. Why pay twice for insurance for the same rental?

And that's how we afford pinball machines.

#33 3 months ago

For peace of mind

I wasnt scared, nor stressed... just wanted input from others. I had my bases covered with photos and two insurances, but thought I'd warn the community and get input. The time it took to call them and email a photo was better spent then the hundreds of dollars in wasted redundant rental insurance charges. I rent all the time for business and wont change a thing, except I wont do business again with this company again on principle. I guess I've been lucky up until now from what I hear.

#34 3 months ago

I have too... I'm going to have to remember to take videos of the cars before and after now.
    Shouldn't have to... but CYA.

#35 3 months ago

For peace of mind

I find fighting with rental car agencies fun. Especially when they pull that stuff. Its hilarious to watch them panic when you press them for pictures, evidence etc. I'd never pay for their fuel option scam or extra insurance. Those are worse than carnival games.

Most high end credit cards cover you anyway.

#36 3 months ago

well, as said already, even if you dont wanna waste time with that, but OK, you just have to !

- pics/video when getting the car, you need views from the outside, the wheel (tires), than inside with seats, and of course the index km & fuel tank
    - same when returning the car, even better to make all this in front of the employee, to let him know you will be hard to scam

now, dont think evbd is a scamer...

PS :

already noticed when getting later the bill in my mail box that the km index was not the same, with a few more, i know the employee did use the car for his own purpose

or even better, with one company i aways have a 0,05 euro cents added on my credit card bill... of course i did not contest this, its so little, who will do it ?... but than just imagine if they simply steal 0.05 euro cents to all their customers !? yes, you get it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 87.00
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    € 279.00
    $ 29.50
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    $ 85.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 24.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    £ 31.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 150.00
    Various Other Swag
    Pinside Shop
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside