(Topic ID: 259074)

Should I enter a tournament if I suck? Am I just embarassing myself?

By cyberslunk

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tournamentbound (resized).jpg
    source (resized).png
    compete.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HookedonPinonics.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 4 years ago

Do it! My first foray into pinball was tournaments. I knew nothing about pinball beforehand and just joined up. I was hooked after one tournament. My wife and I now have been playing for 2 1/2 years and love every minute of it. Some of our best friends were made thru the pinball league here. To me playing in a league or tournaments is socializing with people who share a similar love. I play with some of the top people here in Texas and I can assure you that every single one of them love new people and will never ever look down upon you. We are one big happy family and it is one of the best decisions I have made. It irks me so much when I listen to podcasts or watch videos and people say "I am not a tournament player". What the hell does that even mean? They act like people that play in tournaments are some hardcore people that don't have fun. Yes there are people who are serious about it but I can assure you again that 95% of the rest are there just to have fun and mingle. The other 5% love having fun as well. Playing in tournaments will 100% make you a better player. You will learn from better players and they will happily help you get better. You will start making goals for yourself and you will notice a change ASAP. Get involved with your local pinball league or group. It will force you to play games that you will never play and will make you friends that you never would have made outside of tournaments. I also have gotten real close with some individuals in league in that we all do temporary game swaps with one another. I now run one of the leagues here and my wife helps run the Belles and Chimes chapter here in Houston. It's awesome. Have fun and don't look back.

#85 4 years ago

Glad you and your friends had a great time. That is awesome to hear. The more you attend the more you will recognize the players and you will gain friendships and have even more fun. 5th is a great finish! Don't get discouraged the next tournament when you get last. That's pinball and what makes it fun. Like I said in my last post I have been playing in tournaments for the past 2.5 years and I had my worst showing last night at league. 48 players and I got dead last!! I was also the TD last night and we were having problems with every machine so it was stressful but I can only blame myself. But guess what? I still had fun and shrugged it off and had a great time. I noticed for myself that the moment I stopped caring is the moment I started to have a lot of fun. When I first got into it I was like you just having fun. Then I started to take it serious and the losses hurt. I would pout and just be a bump on the log. NOT FUN. Then I stopped caring and it was all well again. I had my worst showing last night in the 2.5 years playing in tournaments and it was one of my favorite nights at league. Can't explain why but it just was. Welcome to competitive pinball and hope you keep going and keep bringing new people into it. It is fun building the hobby up and getting more people into it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HookedonPinonics.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-enter-a-tournament-if-i-suck-am-i-just-embarassing-myself?tu=HookedonPinonics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.