(Topic ID: 259074)

Should I enter a tournament if I suck? Am I just embarassing myself?

By cyberslunk

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tournamentbound (resized).jpg
    source (resized).png
    compete.jpg
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Tonight is the IFPA WPPR Tournament at HOP Central brewery right down the street from my place. I was thinking of entering just for fun but compared to pros I would be considered laughably bad. Should I still enter for the heck of it or is this frowned upon?

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from cyberslunk:

Tonight is the IFPA WPPR Tournament at HOP Central brewery right down the street from my place. I was thinking of entering just for fun but compared to pros I would be considered quite bad. Should I still enter for the heck of it or is this frowned upon?

You should absolutely enter if you want to. Don't worry about your skill level, or anyone else's for that matter, go have fun.

#3 4 years ago

These tournaments have ALL levels of players... the only way to get better is to play with/against better competition... yes it's frustrating to go and play and loose (Been there done that) but when you get that 1st win against someone whose been beating you...

Never frowned upon for new people to come out and enjoy. Good Luck!!

#4 4 years ago

Yes you should definitely enter. Everyone has to start somewhere.

#5 4 years ago

Do it!!!....and you may surprise yourself and do better than expected!!! Either way, do it for the fun and comradery of meeting fellow pinheads!!!

#6 4 years ago

Just go for it!

#7 4 years ago

Go for it! You'll get a taste for competitive pinball and get to meet some new players (and maybe pick up a thing or two from the better ones). And if you relax and enjoy yourself there's always the outside chance you have the game of your life and beat someone you have no business beating, which is a great feeling.

#8 4 years ago

Go and sign up! You will have fun.

#9 4 years ago

GO!!!!! I started doing tournaments a few years ago and typically finishing towards the bottom. it helped me up my game due to watching how some of the good players play and pick up tips. I just finished 14th in a tournament that I have never been able to make to the playoffs every. this time I did way better.

#10 4 years ago

I used to worry about that too. I compare my pinball game to my golf game. I'm capable of hitting a good shot every now and then, which might impress someone who's never played golf, but compared to other golfers, I'm not very good. Still I go and have a great time meeting new people and learning about new games.

#11 4 years ago

worst case scenario is you go and have a few beers and play some pinball. win win in my book

#12 4 years ago

Absolutely go play! I was nervous about playing in my first tournament and did way better that I ever thought I would. Go enjoy it and have fun!

#13 4 years ago

Can you please post a video of how bad it is before we judge?
    Just kidding
    Go for it!

#14 4 years ago

If it were down the street from my house I would go as often as I could.

Just go check it out and have fun.

You’re going to meet some cool people and I guarantee in doing so your skill level improves.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from cyberslunk:

I was thinking of entering just for fun

That's all that matters.

Quoted from cyberslunk:

is this frowned upon?

Not at all. If anything the "pros" will appreciate a little dead money in the field... until you keep coming back, get better, and kick their ass.

#16 4 years ago

Absolutely do it. I wish there were tournaments around me I could play in.

#17 4 years ago

Have you considered a league? Most leagues have various divisions, so you'll have just as much opportunity to win a trophy regardless of your skill level.

I'm not trying to persuade you from playing in a tournament, but if you have some reservations about your skill level, a league might be a great place to start. Either way, you'll have a great time and meet some really great people.

#18 4 years ago

I've played in a couple tournaments at a local shop along with my wife, we are now internationally ranked Pinball players! We are not good.

Enjoy!

#19 4 years ago

go for it. maybe you'll have one of those epic runs and embarrass the pros!

#20 4 years ago

Wow, thank you all for your words of encouragement! Means a lot to me, I've been really excited about this but yeah just wanted to make sure its noob friendly.

I feel really lucky I even get this opportunity. I was browsing Pinside, went to the events and HOLY **** there's a tournament literally like a block away. So crazy.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Have you considered a league? Most leagues have various divisions, so you'll have just as much opportunity to win a trophy regardless of your skill level.
    I'm not trying to persuade you from playing in a tournament, but if you have some reservations about your skill level, a league might be a great place to start. Either way, you'll have a great time and meet some really great people.

That's definitely something I'd be interested in, just haven't really seen any leagues around me advertised. How would I go about joining, or should I say finding one?

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from cyberslunk:

Wow, thank you all for your words of encouragement! Means a lot to me, I've been really excited about this but yeah just wanted to make sure its noob friendly.

I talk to a lot of new/potential players, and I always tell them that it's much easier to start playing in tournaments to get good rather than trying to get good before you enter tournaments.

It sounds like you want to have fun, not embarrass yourself, and be/get good. I have really good news for you: all of those things will happen. Everyone has bad drains; nobody is thinking much beyond "I get to play now (or sooner)" when someone else drains. Please try it out and report back on how it went.

#23 4 years ago

Don’t think like that. Yeah you may not win the first time, but tournaments are fun.

#24 4 years ago

I didn't read every reply above but something I see is you might make a new friend or two who will help you become a better player by teaching you some of the "tricks of the trade". If someone is good other good players will just look at them as the competition but if you are not very good some people will want to help you get better.

Personally I have always sucked when it comes to being a pinball player and I really don't care. I enjoy to hobby for many other reasons and don't actually play much pinball anyway. Not because I suck but just because I find fixing machines to be more fun than playing them.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from cyberslunk:

That's definitely something I'd be interested in, just haven't really seen any leagues around me advertised. How would I go about joining, or should I say finding one?

http://www.ifpapinball.com/leagues/upcoming.php

http://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=39004

http://pinballarizona.com/

#26 4 years ago

All it takes is one good ball.....

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from cyberslunk:

The majority of the players in the tournament down the street will be able to tell you about all the league play options around you. Just ask them.

#28 4 years ago

Do the tournament and also see if there is a local leaugue you can join as well.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I talk to a lot of new/potential players, and I always tell them that it's much easier to start playing in tournaments to get good rather than trying to get good before you enter tournaments.
    It sounds like you want to have fun, not embarrass yourself, and be/get good. I have really good news for you: all of those things will happen. Everyone has bad drains; nobody is thinking much beyond "I get to play now (or sooner)" when someone else drains. Please try it out and report back on how it went.

This is great advice, thank you. Also thanks for the links in your other post.

#30 4 years ago

I felt the same way at my first tournament and ended up getting in the groove taking third place. Definitely enter I had a ton of fun.

#31 4 years ago

We have a weekly league at TILT studios at the AZ Mills Mall. New season starts tomorrow... usually start at 6:30 every Tuesday...tomorrow 6:15 just to sign up pay dues ($10 for the season) ask for Tracy Lindbergh...she's our tournament director and totally awesome. Also this Saturday is the monthly tournament at Star Fighter arcade out in East Mesa.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from cyberslunk:

I’m sure when you go and check out the tournament you will meet some people there from APPL (Arizona Pinball Players League).

Down in your side of the valley there’s a lot of great places to play pinball.
    You should also check out Electric Bat in Tempe. The people that run that are heavily involved in the leagues here in Arizona.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/11724-electric-bat-arcade-tempe-az

Also Starfighters Arcade in Mesa.
    They do tournaments etc as well.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/8018-starfighters-arcade-mesa-az

If you have never been our local convention ZapCon is coming up in a few months as well. That is definitely worth checking out.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Do it!!!....and you may surprise yourself and do better than expected!!! Either way, do it for the fun and comradery of meeting fellow pinheads!!!

No you wont play better than you expect.You‘ll play worse,but thats normal in „tournament mode“. For most people its normal to play worse in competition mode, but anyway go there and have fun. I played quite a lot of tournament and still go there even if i suck.haha

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from CheapTrick33:

We have a weekly league at TILT studios at the AZ Mills Mall. New season starts tomorrow... usually start at 6:30 every Tuesday...tomorrow 6:15 just to sign up pay dues ($10 for the season) ask for Tracy Lindbergh...she's our tournament director and totally awesome. Also this Saturday is the monthly tournament at Star Fighter arcade out in East Mesa.

The league would be my recommendation. Depending on the number of players, they most likely have multiple divisions.

#35 4 years ago

I’ve put off playing in a league and tournaments because I sucked. Finally joined a league and eventually played a few tournaments. I’ve got better and worse. Just depends on the day.
    All I can say is even if you come in last it’s still fun to do.

#36 4 years ago

Never played in one, I’m awful at pinball.
    I’m going to try my very first tournament at YEGpin in May. all the best to ya. I’m gonna smash beers and have fun!

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from CheapTrick33:

Nice! I will definitely think about it but need to talk it over with the wife. We just had a kid and I've already got a few prior obligations during the week so I feel kinda bad leaving her alone with the kid after I get home from work. I would definitely like to join this though. Thanks for the info, looks awesome!

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I’m sure when you go and check out the tournament you will meet some people there from APPL (Arizona Pinball Players League).
    Down in your side of the valley there’s a lot of great places to play pinball.
    You should also check out Electric Bat in Tempe. The people that run that are heavily involved in the leagues here in Arizona.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/11724-electric-bat-arcade-tempe-az
    Also Starfighters Arcade in Mesa.
    They do tournaments etc as well.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/8018-starfighters-arcade-mesa-az
    If you have never been our local convention ZapCon is coming up in a few months as well. That is definitely worth checking out.

This is awesome, thanks for the info. ZapCon sounds sweet, hadn't heard of it before. This area seems great for pinheads

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from cyberslunk:

This is awesome, thanks for the info. ZapCon sounds sweet, hadn't heard of it before. This area seems great for pinheads

Here’s a link to the website.
    https://zapcon.com
    It hasn’t really been updated that much with this years events and what not, but I think that should start happening soon.
    Typically it’s about the beginning of the year when they start updating everything and it really gets updated with a game list etc the closer it gets to the event.

Definitely worth checking out and a ton of fun.

#40 4 years ago

I love to have new players at my events. You’ll see people play in ways you haven’t thought of. You play games you normally walk past and learn something fun about them. And most important, you’ll meet other players and commiserate about that sucky luck box and cheer together about every great ball.

#41 4 years ago

I have a Williams shirt somewhere that says:
    " Third ball, down by a billion, extra ball lit, No Fear!!"

#42 4 years ago

As Spock says, for everything, there is a first time.

#43 4 years ago

Hell first time the best time; you don;t know what you're doing and end up doing well

#44 4 years ago

You will become a better player merely by watching the elite players. That alone is reason to go if you are interested. Also, I think you’ll find the other players are very supportive. It won’t be like a bad 80s movie where everyone wants you to fail and sabotage you for no other reason than they are the bad guy and that’s their job.

#45 4 years ago

Get to meet fellow pin heads so can’t be bad

#46 4 years ago

Oh, my friend Coindork just hit me up about this thread! Totally come by. It is low key and I’ll explain the rules before we start. It is really fun and there is no pressure at all!

#47 4 years ago

3 years ago I entered my first tournament in Pittsburgh and got my ass handed to me (having no idea who these people were or how good they were or how good/bad I was) -- having had like zero competitive experience in 30 something years of playing. 3 years later, I am friends, in many cases close friends, with a couple hundred people whom I would have not otherwise met. I am now ranked around 150th in the world. So yes yes and yes. Go have fun. Go meet people that share our passion. Go learn from the good players about what makes them better. Practicing in that environment in VASTLY different than playing in your basement or by yourself on location. You will observe things you didn't know were possible that you can then go practice and master yourself. HAVE FUN!

#48 4 years ago

Life is too short Matt, definitely go to the tournament . I to am a novice player who joined a league with some great players. The best decision of my life, have a great time and have met the best people. Pinheads are seriously the nicest, fun, and somewhat odd people you will ever be around. Please report back to us on how it went!

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aniraf:

Oh, my friend coindork just hit me up about this thread! Totally come by. It is low key and I’ll explain the rules before we start. It is really fun and there is no pressure at all!

Okay cool! Thanks for reaching out. I plan to arrive by 6:15 to get set up and everything. I'll see you there

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from cyberslunk:

Tonight is the IFPA WPPR Tournament at HOP Central brewery right down the street from my place. I was thinking of entering just for fun but compared to pros I would be considered laughably bad. Should I still enter for the heck of it or is this frowned upon?

yes 100%. In our tournies we have prizes and options no matter beginner to expert. You have to start somewhere. You can also learn tips by playing with people who may be better. If you are having fun i say yes!

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-enter-a-tournament-if-i-suck-am-i-just-embarassing-myself?hl=aniraf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.