• Latest reply 4 years ago by PaulCoff
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should I drive 22 hours for a Mousin Around ”

• I like you man, but your crazy 114 votes
    36%
  • Do it!!!! And post pictures so we can laugh collectively at how pathetic you are 71 votes
    22%
  • I only got through the first paragraph before I voted 13 votes
    4%
  • You do you man. 89 votes
    28%
  • Who the **** is this guy?! 33 votes
    10%

(320 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FA844BA9-ABC8-414F-B725-BEF4DA61F266 (resized).jpeg
77481650-C920-4F62-98F7-9725FE58E15E (resized).jpeg
20200129_213818 (resized).jpg
22B96157-B3DC-4850-9EAC-6B761B13A9D9 (resized).jpeg
404EF00F-A43D-43AB-B108-3D0BEC571F5C (resized).jpeg
A37025AC-27C5-47B1-B632-1D2F1AF5032E (resized).jpeg
com (resized).jpg
1DCE5206-49F8-4845-9D7A-F2C2D20CB9F5 (resized).jpeg
2F64C4C0-9741-4F22-86D5-F7A010E1A19A (resized).jpeg
06BF169E-30B5-407F-9476-317191CFF119 (resized).jpeg
4CBD815A-5364-4CB9-9C61-9A541276B595 (resized).jpeg
7293EEC7-E730-4E32-903D-9675EAB24814.gif
1DF7A841-5C7F-4519-B362-01DD2E4EDE55 (resized).jpeg
8FCF4BE9-519E-4FBE-A1F0-9FB11EC3D2BD (resized).jpeg
Mousin Around shirt.png
CF297236-71F8-405A-974C-7AC51B923579 (resized).jpeg
There are 308 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 4 years ago

Pinside has fallen short of innocent personal threads as of recently and I thought it’d be nice to help contribute as I always enjoy reading others.

The year is 2020. Perfect vision. A fresh start. My wife says it’s time we make a baby, which means my time and money that goes towards pinball is coming to a screaming (pun) halt.

I promised her only 1 new (to me) pin a year from now on. No more, no less. However, I made a clause in our contact that I can sell and trade out what I currently have accumulated. Being the impulsive person I am I bought a Haunted House on Jan. 1. Oof. Great game but realized quickly that it was not the game I wanted to represent my 2020 pin and I already have enough spooky pinballs.

Somehow I got it in my brain that Mousin Around is my 2020 pin. Played it about 3 months ago on location and haven’t been able to get it out of my head. I have to have it. For the record, the more in to pinball I get, the less I’m interested in rulezy and mode based games. Give me freedom and give me flow. My Taxi gets way more plays than my TAF. I’m embarrassed by that but that’s just where I’m at I guess.

So what do you guys think? I haven’t had an ounce of luck finding one locally and the closest to me is Gov machine in Springfield, MO a whopping 11 hours away from me one way. I drove 17 hours to Chicago and back in one day, and I’m not afraid of a challenge! As one should receive all good advice, I told my wife that I will let the voices of pinside decide my fate. So it’s up to you! I will make my decision by next Saturday, February 1, 2020

#2 4 years ago

I wish we could pick more than one option!
That drive is beyond what I’m willing to drive but hey, you do you! I agree however. The more pins I have the more fun I want. Depth and rules aren’t as important as fun factor!

Do what you want but 22 hours for Mousin’ Around is nuts!

#3 4 years ago

Heck no. Ship it or wait for another closer.

I did 19 hours round trip for a restored fish tales back when they where $2500 and it sucked.

#4 4 years ago

Make a weekend trip of it - don't chance driving 22 hours without spending a night in a cheap motel. An accident could screw up your life forever and it just isn't worth that risk. I have done crazy shit like this my entire life so I call it normal behavior. But over the years I have learned it isn't worth your life (or someone else's) taking a chance driving tired. That is why the put restrictions on CDL drivers!

As far as Mousin itself - we have owned two of them and currently have a nice one in our collection. As we downsize it will be one of a handful of pins that stays in the collection.

#6 4 years ago

Do it at least once in your life.
I drove 24 hours for a project genesis. I’ll never do that again

#7 4 years ago

Depends on the condition. Low priced HUO or mint game and I'd do it. High priced player condition, probably not.

If I had to drive it myself, no way. If a couple buddies went with, it'd be a fun roadtrip.

#8 4 years ago

I say - Go For It! Treat it as an adventure. I’m sure you’ll develop some stories along the way that you will be talking about for years. Sometimes the most random experiences are the best.

#9 4 years ago

Id agree with the previous posts. If its in great condition, and clearly on your list of wants, id make the trip. For me, the trip is half the fun. Take the family, stay the night and enjoy everything different you cant do at home.

#10 4 years ago

If you're patient, one will eventually pop up for sale locally. 12 hours round trip is the max I would consider.

#11 4 years ago

If you have to ask,your hearts not into it, you would have left already if you were that keen on the deal..

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

If you have to ask,your hearts not into it, you would have left already if you were that keen on the deal..

Actually the opposite. I got called into work this weekend or I would have been well on my way. But it did make me second guess my craziness and thought I’d make some fun with it on here.

#13 4 years ago

Math it out. It is likely cheaper to have it shipped by the time you figure gas money, food, possibly a motel, etc. Not to mention the hassle/time of a 22 hour drive.

#14 4 years ago

How valuable is your time? Do you trust that the game will be in the condition as described when you arrive? I hate driving as it is so I’d rather just ship the game vs. spending 22 hours in the car. Probably cheaper anyway when you factor in gas, food and somewhere to stay. I love my Mousin but not enough to drive that far.

#15 4 years ago

1) you want it, GO GET that mouse!

2) 22hrs - What are weekends for?

3) There are innumerable ways to waste
22hrs - this is not one of them

4) Yeah but 22hrs?
You will always have fond memories of
what it took to bring it home.
EVERYTIME you play it you will remember.

5) see #1

#16 4 years ago

what rollitover said

#17 4 years ago

There were 15 Mousin' Arounds listed for sale on Pinside in 2019. Some closer to you. Some farther away.

There were 12 that were listed for sale on pinside in 2018.

I'm guessing you will get another chance to buy one.

Does the math work out for shipping? Your time, your gas, the wear and tear on your car, and one, maybe two nights in a motel needs to be less than STI to make driving the distance worth it.

Call STI and get the ship quote. Then make your decision.

But if you are confident that the one you are studying on is all that he says/you think it is, if it is in great condition, if you think the weather will cooperate, then take the trip.

#18 4 years ago

I’ve done an 18 hr round trip.... it’s long.

First 3-4 hours, no problem. Next 4 hours. Long. Final hour, excruciating.

Then, you get to do it all over again.

I’d only do it if you love being in a car... otherwise, skip!

#20 4 years ago
Screenshot_20200125-134230~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200125-134230~2 (resized).png
#21 4 years ago

The cat says “get that mouse!’

E76571D8-6AB6-46E2-8C86-F5E4CD0ED773 (resized).jpegE76571D8-6AB6-46E2-8C86-F5E4CD0ED773 (resized).jpeg
#22 4 years ago

For the record, I told him he was crazy I am not going to stop him though. I drove an 18 hour round trip once for a PoS Revenge from Mars. :p So who am I to judge.

#23 4 years ago

I was crazy enough to drive 24 hours round trip to Delaware for a Target Alpha a few summers ago, no hotel, just stop to gas up, get food, get the pin. It was REALLY rough from Toledo back home. Left my driveway at 3:43 am Saturday and returned 3:40 am Sunday. I then slept about 4 hours and went to church, pin in the vehicle! I’m in my mid-50s, and I’m glad I did it for the adventure (really disappointed at how brown the water was in Chesapeake Bay, though). However, I’m not sure I’d recommend it to anyone else. I was definitely being me.

#24 4 years ago

I did an 8am to 7am drive for TAF in 2016 (round trip).

The seller took 3 hours longer than expected to meet me.

Needless to say, after that, I will not do anything that long EVER again.

Sometimes, you have to get burnt to realize what not to do in the future.

#25 4 years ago

if i were you...id probably do it

#26 4 years ago

It’s not pinball until there’s a story to tell. I say go for it!

#27 4 years ago

I drove 13 hours each way to pick up a pin once. I was only there for 2 hrs! I was driving my brand new truck so that made it a little better. If you really want it, go for it.

#28 4 years ago

By the time you read all the posts here, you could already be back home with it.

Daylights burning, hit the road.

LTG : )

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Make a weekend trip of it - don't chance driving 22 hours without spending a night in a cheap motel. An accident could screw up your life forever and it just isn't worth that risk. I have done crazy shit like this my entire life so I call it normal behavior. But over the years I have learned it isn't worth your life (or someone else's) taking a chance driving tired. That is why the put restrictions on CDL drivers!

Read this again and again!
After about 12 hrs driving your reaction time and reflexes are cut by about 30%.
Try to get the machine shipped. If you are going to drive it please stay overnight at a hotel to get some rest.
Good luck and stay safe.
-Mike

#30 4 years ago

unless its in an epic place for vacation - hell no.

#31 4 years ago

First off, at that kind of distance and time, a road trip will NOT be cheaper than shipping. No way no how. Gas, time, food, contingencies, lodging, wear & tear, all add up. This is also not the time of year to impulsively leave on a carefree jaunt across the upper midwest - weather is everything in terms of risk.

That said, if you'd rather have an adventure and a story to go along with the money spent, road trips are always whatever fun you make of them. If you're a road veteran then you know what's up. If you've never done this sort of thing, do some planning. Invite the wife or a buddy along and make the pin pickup a mere "side part" of something larger. I've done it a few times those were always better than the times I went myself.

As for whether a Mousin' is worth the trip, well... only you can answer that. But I think everyone on pinside has that "one title" they would (or did) do something dumb for. Few years back I drove a dying minivan 16 hours round trip to get a Torpedo Alley. Still have fond memories of the trip and the game was definitely worth it. ( Fair disclosure, I had family and therefore a place to crash near the pickup site so that definitely helped )

#32 4 years ago

Dude go! Some of my best pinball times are the road trips! I just had two guys do a 9-10 trip today to come trade me a Demo Man for my Dracula! We chatted. They played my stranger things. Made some new friends and had a good day.

#33 4 years ago

I just offered Gov $3,000 to save you 22 hours of your time.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

I just offered gov $3,000 to save you 22 hours of your time.

Damn you!

#35 4 years ago

Depends on condition

#36 4 years ago

I’m shocked by all these logical answers saying you shouldn’t , only if it is mint, etc.

I say - FUCK YEAH DO IT! This is pinball!

For me, half the fun is the hunt and the adventure. Get a buddy to come with you. Buy him a great lunch. Plan a couple stops.

My first game was a WH20 that I drove from Boston to Philadelphia to pick up in one day. I went with my brother in law. Special memory. I’ll never sell that WH20.

And as far as the game itself, I agree it’s a classic system 11 sleeper. If you’ve been loving Taxi, I think it’s in that same wheelhouse.

#37 4 years ago

There is nothing special about this Mousin' Around! If you absolutely have to have one there will be one cheaper, closer, and in better condition within a few months.

If you really want a story about doing something pointless there are hundreds of ways you could get that story in way less than twenty-two hours.

#38 4 years ago

I did 53 hour round trip for King Kong earlier this year, in a mini van to get just that game. Then 3 months later I did 58 hours roundtrip with a trailer to get Krull, defender, Joust, Empire Strikes Back, Nineball and a couple Zacharias. Long, but worth the story itself, first trip was solo, second trip I did with my best friend and had a blast

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

I did 53 hour round trip for King Kong earlier this year, in a mini van to get just that game. Then 3 months later I did 58 hours roundtrip with a trailer to get Krull, defender, Joust, Empire Strikes Back, Nineball and a couple Zacharias. Long, but worth the story itself, first trip was solo, second trip I did with my best friend and had a blast

That second trip was quite the score. I’m sure a lot of us here wouldn’t think twice about making that trip knowing the prize that awaited.

#40 4 years ago

For sure! Have some fun on the open road

#41 4 years ago

I drove 22 hours round trip, over a period of two days, for a Quicksilver a pin that rarely comes up for sale. I wouldn’t drive more than four hours round trip for an easy to find title like Mousin Around.

Just buy the one on Minneapolis Craigslist for $1,800.

#42 4 years ago

For a Mousin Around?? NO WAY!! Now if it were some sorta rare game then of course I'd have to say yes but why kill yourself for a game you find anyplace and anytime? And having it shipped is even crazier yet. Keep looking, you'll find a better game thats more local and probably much cheaper in the long run. Best of luck.

John

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

First off, at that kind of distance and time, a road trip will NOT be cheaper than shipping

I figured roughly that I spent about $200 total in gas, tolls, and food on my 24-hour round trip to Delaware.

#44 4 years ago

Drive to where it is, spend the night in a hotel and pick it up first thing in the AM.

Trust me, your body will thank you.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I drove 22 hours round trip, over a period of two days, for a Quicksilver a pin that rarely comes up for sale. I wouldn’t drive more than four hours round trip for an easy to find title like Mousin Around.
Just buy the one on Minneapolis Craigslist for $1,800.

The craigslist link for $1800 in Minni is a wanted ad posted by M E

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Drive to where it is, spend the night in a hotel and pick it up first thing in the AM.
Trust me, your body will thank you.

That's exactly what I did back in july when my
Dad and I drove from Louisville to New Jersey
for a sweet black knight. 25 hrs total driving . Slept five
hours at the Sleep Inn in cinnaminson NJ. Got up met Ron
at his house . Loaded up and back to KY. My pops was
My wingman. What a crazy trip and I'm glad I did it... ONCE!

#47 4 years ago

All of my pins have been long trips.

Big Game was the shortest at 400 miles RT

Seawitch was 2200 miles RT

Nine Ball was 1200 miles RT

Game Plan Captain Hook was 1500 miles RT

Catacomb was 3000 miles RT.

Munsters was 2000 miles RT (STI quoted me $450.00 to ship). $450.00 made the trip worth it even with gas, motel, and crappy highway food.

There were two trips to Cleveland for 2000 miles RT for each trip.

I have had 2 shipped in.

I have no regrets making these chases.

#48 4 years ago

Shucks, I hauled my butt out to Cincinnati for an non-routed pinball magic. 20+ hours round trip.

Granted, I combined trips and got a room for one night and went to Pincinnati, but even if that weren’t the case, I love a good road trip. It was just me, myself, and I, good tunes (and a binging on TOPcast episodes), and too much fast food. Met some cool people, saw some cool sights, got a fun game, and made it an experience.

I say go for it. Make it your experience too. The second it becomes a chore is the second it... well... becomes a chore and turns into a grind. So don’t do that! Make it a trip and have fun with it.

#49 4 years ago

Do it. There are plenty of hours in life, but only so many Mousin' Arounds. You'll wish you were able to go on a nice, long, peaceful road trip alone once you have kids, believe me.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

Those games are a little more rare then a mousin around.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 23.95
3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 308 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-drive-22-hours-round-trip-for-a-mousin-around-poll-included?hl=drained and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.