(Topic ID: 145534)

Should I do anything to my NOS Playfield?

By Griffin

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015-11-29_12.12.59.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I picked up an original NOS The Addams Family play field yesterday from 1991/2. Perfect condition, never installed in a machine. Before I start down the road of restoring my TAF machine I was wondering if I should be thinking about protecting this PF in any way? It is a Diamond Plate PF.

Thanks

2015-11-29 12.12.59.jpg2015-11-29 12.12.59.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I wouldn't, just clean it then wax the hell out of it and install it. Might want to also lay some mylar pieces in all the well known wear areas.

#3 8 years ago

My only suggestion...Mylar in the ball-drop areas on the inlanes as well as mylar in the pop bumper area.

#4 8 years ago

OK. It already has some mylar installed in the pop bumper area, and a couple of other spots. You may be able to see if you zoom in on the pic.

#5 8 years ago

I would clearcoated it. They are all diamond plated. And mansion wear is a common problem. Might as well do it before putting in a game. This is a high end title, so go for the works.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from kevmad:

I would clearcoated it. They are all diamond plated. And mansion wear is a common problem. Might as well do it before putting in a game. This is a high end title, so go for the works.

+1. I'd get it cleared for sure.

#7 8 years ago

Diamond Plate is clear coat. Wax it it and keep it clean is all you should need to do to it.

#8 8 years ago

Id find a good automotive shop and have them clear it or maybe a cool pinhead in the Cali area can direct you to someone that could clear it.

Might as well put a few kick ass layers of clear before it goes into the game for longterm play...

#9 8 years ago

I agree with both sides. For home use, that playfield would be just fine with regular cleaning and waxing. That said, however, if I would ever muster up the courage for a playfield swap, I'd send the playfield off to be made into a super tough sheet of glass. A swap is a lot of effort and I'd go overboard with it.

#10 8 years ago

If you plan on having it on all day for 15 years and play it 100 times a day i would clear it.

#11 8 years ago

You may have more issues than whether to clear it or not, and if it were me, I absolutely would. There's not much there to begin with.

Back when these were made, the company making them, would do the majority of the work. The only thing they wouldn't do, was drill a number of necessary holes for posts and the like. This was done by Williams/Bally, once they received them. No idea why they did it this way. I have no idea how many you are missing, but I can see three of your pop bumpers are not drilled for the studs that hold the coil mechs on the underside. No idea why only two of them got drilled.

I also have an NOS playfield that will be going into a restore I'm doing. I'm also missing holes. There's also not much clear on it. In fact, after sitting for damn near 25 years, I can feel insert edges when I run my fingers across them. Once I get the old playfield stripped, I'll check to see what holes I'm missing. After they've been drilled, I'll have the playfield cleared the way it should have been and it'll look great for years.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 1,159.00
$ 1,059.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.95
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-do-anything-to-my-nos-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.