(Topic ID: 261064)

Should I cancel my Stranger Things LE order?

By _xizor

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should I cancel my Stranger Things LE order?”

• Yes 264 votes
    82%
  • No 57 votes
    18%

(321 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
204FEF4A-3A90-4B50-A409-F3CE1089BE17 (resized).jpeg
07045745-6E52-4CE0-9E07-F385E63E611F (resized).jpeg
cleb.gif
download (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200201_232821406 (resized).jpg
Bail.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider _xizor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I’ve been following the topics on Stranger Things and there’s more negativity in the thread than a standard NIB rant fest. Projector, build quality, component and toy concerns among comments about general level of fun playing it.

I’ve got enough pinballs I don’t need another so-so title in the lineup. I also don’t need another title waiting a year for finished or at least fun code.

Should I walk on Stranger Things?

#6 4 years ago

I’ve played a Pro and it was okay. 5 games, not enough time on it, but I felt it was “okay”.

That’s one of the issues of being in an isolated market, not a lot makes it to the city and even less is public. Unless I get to play it when I travel I don’t get a chance for a complete assessment till it’s paid for and sitting at home.

Perhaps I have NIB fatigue, but on the other hand, I’m pumped for Rick and Morty which I have not played, and I’m comfortable even if I didn’t like it long term it would be easy to sell with minimal out of pocket on my end.

Stern cranks so much stuff out that falls in the “okay” category and I’m in such a small market, if I don’t like it and the general consensus is mediocre it’ll be a 2-3k (CDN) loss just for the luxury of trying it out. At that point I can literally fly anywhere I want in North America for a pinball weekend!

Quoted from Coz:

Have you played one yet? If not, I’d get some hands on time, then you’ll be able to make a better decision. I currently have a pro out on location and it’s doing very well and everyone is enjoying it

#36 4 years ago

I pre-order based on it being a theme I enjoy and collect outside of pinball.

Massive stranger things fan, so it seemed like even an okay game would be good. I like to buy the LE units primarily for the hassle free upgrades and the once-in-a-while access to Something that comes along with them that’s special. (Loved the Deadpool LP)

What is getting me down on this is that the quality of the build and longevity of components in Stern NIB is questionable and continues to decrease. My EHOH, which I like, already has enough wear and tear on it that it is far from new, in a matter of months. Not all my NIB pinballs ware as fast and I’m kinda scared Stranger Things could be even worse.

Meh play, shoddy workmanship, a chance of a code abandonment and questionable resale value, all take away from the fact that I like the theme.

Quoted from Durzel:

It begs the question - why? I always assumed people bought LEs of pins they were really invested in, theme, gameplay, whatever.

#40 4 years ago

Perhaps I should have worded the poll, “Would YOU cancel YOUR pre-order?”

Of course it’s my money and I can do what I want, but I’m trying to figure out if the forum negativity surrounding the title is actually warranted or if I should just wait and see it in person again. It’s 600.00 and/or two days to go play a pro in person for me at the moment...

Quoted from iceman44:

It’s your $$$. Make your own decision

#47 4 years ago

I hear ya. I had bought XMLE NIB and it grew on me over the years. Just got rid of it late in 2019 simply because I didn’t want to take up more than one entire room for pinballs and it was my least played game over the past year. It went to another local home who’s full of people who were ecstatic to get it, so I’m at peace with the decision, but I may pick one up again in the future.

Quoted from titanpenguin:

My vote is cancel, but take it with a grain of salt. Everyone complained about XMLE and GBLE and I enjoy both

#48 4 years ago

I wanted to hear from all the cool kids though!
Will you guys like me more if I buy it? Lol

Quoted from Reality_Studio:

My general thought is if you have to ask others for justification of a purchase (whatever it may be), then don't make the purchase.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

If you’re going to ask pinside if you should cancel your LE order might as well ask your wife what you should spend your money on.

She said I pay more attention to pinside, ask them.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

What are most distributors policies on cancellations after a deposit was made? Do they allow you to transfer or be refunded?

It seems to vary a bit. Looks like I can just bump my deposit to the next one though.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Does it have to be the next LE or next anything?

No, technically I think they’d just refund me if I want, but there’s always another pin.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

You knew the answer before you asked. Hope you received enough confirmation, good advice from many here in the know.

Well, kinda knew. The poll ratio paints a picture for sure.

The issue with Stern NIB is it reminds me a lot of collecting Pachinko machines in the 2000s. In that world there’s a new title every month and a limited window to buy a LE quality one with predictable shipping costs. The theme / game play is what it is and if there is an upgrade in the future, consider yourself lucky.

What finally got me out of it was NIB prices got out of hand vs build quality. I had dozens of machines that I basically had to give away when I had my fill, because although I was happy with theme alone, anyone willing to pay the shipping to buy them from my town cared about build quality and other factors I long ignored.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Man up! Seek out a Premium/LE, play it a bunch, inspect it closely, and make up your own mind.
Otherwise, if in serious doubt, just hold off for now. Plenty of other quality games available in the meantime and you'll always be able to get a nice Stranger Things later if you decide to.

It's not about manning up. It's about not having access to one within 1500 miles to play.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

is another poll coming for R@M too?

R&M is easy, the perceived personal value in the theme for me alone is worth it. It could be a horrible game and I’d be more than happy with it sitting in the corner. Ever off the little we’re seen I’m comfortable I’m going to be happy.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Sooooo what’s your decision op?

I’m cancelling and waiting it out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 10.00
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider _xizor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-cancel-my-stranger-things-le-order?tu=_xizor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.