(Topic ID: 261064)

Should I cancel my Stranger Things LE order?

By _xizor

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should I cancel my Stranger Things LE order?”

• Yes 264 votes
    82%
  • No 57 votes
    18%

(321 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
204FEF4A-3A90-4B50-A409-F3CE1089BE17 (resized).jpeg
07045745-6E52-4CE0-9E07-F385E63E611F (resized).jpeg
cleb.gif
download (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200201_232821406 (resized).jpg
Bail.gif

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

I’ve been following the topics on Stranger Things and there’s more negativity in the thread than a standard NIB rant fest. Projector, build quality, component and toy concerns among comments about general level of fun playing it.

I’ve got enough pinballs I don’t need another so-so title in the lineup. I also don’t need another title waiting a year for finished or at least fun code.

Should I walk on Stranger Things?

#2 4 years ago

No... You should run!

#3 4 years ago

I own a pro Enjoy it

I haven’t had any issues. I’m sure the common ones will pop up but seem like easy fixes stern always has helped me with any of my other games.

Now if you need to backout to get a TMNT LE then Yes

#4 4 years ago

Have you played one yet? If not, I’d get some hands on time, then you’ll be able to make a better decision. I currently have a pro out on location and it’s doing very well and everyone is enjoying it

#5 4 years ago

I did. Can always buy a Premium later--or likely a LE.

#6 4 years ago

I’ve played a Pro and it was okay. 5 games, not enough time on it, but I felt it was “okay”.

That’s one of the issues of being in an isolated market, not a lot makes it to the city and even less is public. Unless I get to play it when I travel I don’t get a chance for a complete assessment till it’s paid for and sitting at home.

Perhaps I have NIB fatigue, but on the other hand, I’m pumped for Rick and Morty which I have not played, and I’m comfortable even if I didn’t like it long term it would be easy to sell with minimal out of pocket on my end.

Stern cranks so much stuff out that falls in the “okay” category and I’m in such a small market, if I don’t like it and the general consensus is mediocre it’ll be a 2-3k (CDN) loss just for the luxury of trying it out. At that point I can literally fly anywhere I want in North America for a pinball weekend!

Quoted from Coz:

Have you played one yet? If not, I’d get some hands on time, then you’ll be able to make a better decision. I currently have a pro out on location and it’s doing very well and everyone is enjoying it

#7 4 years ago

Go play a pro on location and then decide

#8 4 years ago

I would. Im a Stern fanboy, but I played the pro....its awful. I cant imagine a projector is going to save it.

#9 4 years ago

I played the pro. It was a lot of fun.

#10 4 years ago

There is a pro on location here and I enjoy it. I also enjoyed BKSOR when it was on location. I’m not an LE guy so my answer to you would be a yes cancel, but simple because it’s an LE. You can always get a premium if you try it again and like it.

#11 4 years ago

Yes, and it's not a question about the game being fun or not. I have no doubt that all editions of Stranger Things are fun. My opinion comes down to perceived value and quality for the price. I think the price that Stern is charging for Stranger Things LE is insane considering what you get. 100% plastic ramps and ball returns on a $9K game? Give me a break. There's also a lack of mechanical features across all models....well unless you count the ball lock up post jumping out from the playfield as it breaks as an interactive feature (one time use).

If money is no object though I say go for it.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

I’ve been following the topics on Stranger Things and there’s more negativity in the thread than a standard NIB rant fest. Projector, build quality, component and toy concerns among comments about general level of fun playing it.
I’ve got enough pinballs I don’t need another so-so title in the lineup. I also don’t need another title waiting a year for finished or at least fun code.

Quoted from _xizor:

Based on your collection and the fact you have to wait on Rick and Morty and have no idea how that one will turn out the answer is yes

If you have any doubts, unload it. Especially listening to the negative haters that don’t know shit

Decide for yourself based on what YOU see not anyone else

#13 4 years ago

Here’s an idea for you. Buy a Super Chexx or a Golden Tee

At least normal people will think you haven’t lost your mind buying all pins

My kids, wife and everyone else go straight to
super Chexx!!!

They don’t give a F about pinball

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here’s an idea for you. Buy a Super Chexx or a Golden Tee
At least normal people will think you haven’t lost your mind buying all pins
My kids, wife and everyone else go straight to
super Chexx!!!
They don’t give a F about pinball

GENIUS!

#15 4 years ago

My take? Yes, I'd cancel-but NOT because it is a bad pin, it's just a pin that's not worth owning. Fun to play? Yes, somewhat, but it really doesn't warrant owning as I think it'd get boring after a bit. It just doesn't have anything about it to "pull me in", and yes, I watched (and LOVED) the series.

#16 4 years ago

Not Brian Eddys best. Played meh, but not a keeper.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Blakester:

I did. Can always buy a Premium later--or likely a LE.

They aren't gonna run out of LE's anytime soon unless they cap it and make the number smaller

#18 4 years ago

I have no idea how the pin will turn out, haven't had a chance to play it yet myself. But any doubts at all, then definitely back out. Too much money to drop if you are already on the fence. Will be plenty of time to get one later if you change your mind.

#19 4 years ago

My brother walks in to my pinball room with 20 pins and we go straight to the hockey because it’s fun and easy and we played the cheap table top game growing up

He played a little Elvira, which is easy to make shots, he says it’s “too hard” and doesn’t care about the rules

Thus, he’s getting a super Chexx hockey, a Golden tee and an all in one that includes PAC man for his basement

My oldest daughter and her boyfriend are in town this weekend. They walk straight over to the Super Chexx hockey and start having fun

Only hardcore pinball people are gonna keep buying games HUO and it’s never gonna change. It’s a small group

#20 4 years ago

You played a Pro, thought it was “okay”, and you’ve got an LE on order...

It begs the question - why? I always assumed people bought LEs of pins they were really invested in, theme, gameplay, whatever.

The idea that you’re apparently going to buy the most expensive version of a pin that you think is “okay” is mind blowing to me.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

My brother walks in to my pinball room with 20 pins and we go straight to the hockey because it’s fun and easy and we played the cheap table top game growing up
He played a little Elvira, which is easy to make shots, he says it’s “too hard” and doesn’t care about the rules
Thus, he’s getting a super Chexx hockey, a Golden tee and an all in one that includes PAC man for his basement
My oldest daughter and her boyfriend are in town this weekend. They walk straight over to the Super Chexx hockey and start having fun
Only hardcore pinball people are gonna keep buying games HUO and it’s never gonna change. It’s a small group

So true. I had a Gauntlet II for a bit with the pins. I played all seven pins, everyone else just piled up on that arcade game. Huh...hey, it’s our sickness Brother.

#22 4 years ago

Cancel it. Stop rewarding Stern for low BOM part counts. Stop rewarding mediocre games. Stop rewarding poor build quality.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

So true. I had a Gauntlet II for a bit with the pins. I played all seven pins, everyone else just piled up on that arcade game. Huh...hey, it’s our sickness Brother.

Yeah Rick, you me and a few thousand others are the only ones that will ever care about pinball to the degree of sickness we have

#24 4 years ago

You’d be a fool to buy one now. Just wait and see.

#25 4 years ago

I’d wait. Plenty will be available down the road and guessing this title will provide nice huo discounts eventually.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah Rick, you me and a few thousand others are the only ones that will ever care about pinball to the degree of sickness we have

It’s all good. When we walk into our personal arcades and just have ourselves a ‘good look’ at what we’ve collected, well, it’s a feeling of we’ve arrived. Lots of our lives sacrificed in education, training, and plain old grit and grime. And a smattering of luck.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

It’s all good. When we walk into our personal arcades and just have ourselves a ‘good look’ at what we’ve collected, well, it’s a feeling of we’ve arrived. Lots of our lives sacrificed in education, training, and plain old grit and grime. And a smattering of luck.

F ing A Rick

Sitting right here now drinking a brew, playing, looking at and loving my own arcade

Just looking at it. I don’t care what anyone else thinks but it’s funny that most people just won’t play my pins!!!

And I can’t play super Chexx by myself

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I’d wait. Plenty will be available down the road and guessing this title will provide nice huo discounts eventually.

Like every other pinball machine

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

F ing A Rick
Sitting right here now drinking a brew and loving my own arcade
Just looking at it. I don’t care what anyone else thinks but it’s funny that most people just won’t play my pins!!!

Lmao. You could...exhausting and both teams led by same Coach.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Lmao. You could...exhausting and both teams led by same Coach.

I tried the other day. Went back and forth on taking shots each side. Not as much fun!

#31 4 years ago

If you played a Pro and didn't think it was all that great, I can't see the reason to buy an LE. You can always get one used later, and almost surely at a nice discount.

#32 4 years ago

If you don't mind losing money than keep it. Game is better than people give it credit for.

That being said LE is going to tank hard.

If you care about losing money and want to play it, get the pro. Projector is not only not worth it but the pro will likely not lose as much. They both will lose though..... more than let's say a JP2.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

Yes

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

If you don't mind losing money than keep it. Game is better than people give it credit for.
That being said LE is going to tank hard.
If you care about losing money and want to play it, get the pro. Projector is not only not worth it but the pro will likely not lose as much. They both will lose though..... more than let's say a JP2.

Yeah every game is gonna tank hard that you have to pay $9k for or $8k for that matter

All of them

Even though this one isn’t finished yet everybody knows the outcome!

So that is a hard reality for anybody buying Nib

If you have to rely on other people giving you advice on how to spend your money you should reevaluate what you are doing

#35 4 years ago
Bail.gifBail.gif
#36 4 years ago

I pre-order based on it being a theme I enjoy and collect outside of pinball.

Massive stranger things fan, so it seemed like even an okay game would be good. I like to buy the LE units primarily for the hassle free upgrades and the once-in-a-while access to Something that comes along with them that’s special. (Loved the Deadpool LP)

What is getting me down on this is that the quality of the build and longevity of components in Stern NIB is questionable and continues to decrease. My EHOH, which I like, already has enough wear and tear on it that it is far from new, in a matter of months. Not all my NIB pinballs ware as fast and I’m kinda scared Stranger Things could be even worse.

Meh play, shoddy workmanship, a chance of a code abandonment and questionable resale value, all take away from the fact that I like the theme.

Quoted from Durzel:

It begs the question - why? I always assumed people bought LEs of pins they were really invested in, theme, gameplay, whatever.

#37 4 years ago

My vote is cancel, but take it with a grain of salt. Everyone complained about XMLE and GBLE and I enjoy both. Both games when set up right are a blast. I’m sure once code matures and people figure out all the quirks it will be fun as well.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

I pre-order based on it being a theme I enjoy and collect outside of pinball.
Massive stranger things fan, so it seemed like even an okay game would be good. I like to buy the LE units primarily for the hassle free upgrades and the once-in-a-while access to Something that comes along with them that’s special. (Loved the Deadpool LP)
What is getting me down on this, is that the quality of the build and longevity of components in Stern NIB is questionable and continues to decrease. My EHOH, which I like, already has enough wear and tear on it that it is far from new, in a matter of months. Not all my NIB pinballs ware as fast and I’m kinda scared Stranger Things could be even worse.
Meh play, shoddy workmanship, a chance of a code abandonment and questionable resale value, all take away from the fact that I like the theme.

It’s your $$$. Make your own decision

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah every game is gonna tank hard that you have to pay $9k for or $8k for that matter
All of them
Even though this one isn’t finished yet everybody knows the outcome!
So that is a hard reality for anybody buying Nib
If you have to rely on other people giving you advice on how to spend your money you should reevaluate what you are doing

Have to disagree. Look at Black Knight LE vs JP or others. That game tanked. Monsters tanked.

Yes they will all lose a little but those two really took it in the pants.

#40 4 years ago

Perhaps I should have worded the poll, “Would YOU cancel YOUR pre-order?”

Of course it’s my money and I can do what I want, but I’m trying to figure out if the forum negativity surrounding the title is actually warranted or if I should just wait and see it in person again. It’s 600.00 and/or two days to go play a pro in person for me at the moment...

Quoted from iceman44:

It’s your $$$. Make your own decision

#41 4 years ago

I would pass on it I'm not a huge fan of the peojector wait for the code to dev some more maybe play it later down the road if you do like it get a cheaper used LE.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I can’t play super Chexx by myself

I have, dont tell anyone though.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

Perhaps I should have worded the poll, “Would YOU cancel YOUR pre-order?”
Of course it’s my money and I can do what I want, but I’m trying to figure out if the forum negativity surrounding the title is actually warranted or if I should just wait and see it in person again. It’s 600.00 and/or two days to go play a pro in person for me at the moment...

The pro is NOT the Le which you know

Look at the poll. Pinside says you should sell it before you play it

Will I sell mine? Lol. No way.

I’m thinking you have a Rick and Morty and should focus on that outcome

Stern will have 3 more games this year AND you can always buy this game on the secondary market MUCH cheaper if you want because it sucks

Go with the polls. They are always right

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

F ing A Rick
Sitting right here now drinking a brew, playing, looking at and loving my own arcade

I’d play your pins.

That just sounds weird.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I’d play your pins.
That just sounds weird.

Hell yeah, having a TPF Deeproot announcement pre party. Come on down

#46 4 years ago

My general thought is if you have to ask others for justification of a purchase (whatever it may be), then don't make the purchase.

#47 4 years ago

I hear ya. I had bought XMLE NIB and it grew on me over the years. Just got rid of it late in 2019 simply because I didn’t want to take up more than one entire room for pinballs and it was my least played game over the past year. It went to another local home who’s full of people who were ecstatic to get it, so I’m at peace with the decision, but I may pick one up again in the future.

Quoted from titanpenguin:

My vote is cancel, but take it with a grain of salt. Everyone complained about XMLE and GBLE and I enjoy both

#48 4 years ago

I wanted to hear from all the cool kids though!
Will you guys like me more if I buy it? Lol

Quoted from Reality_Studio:

My general thought is if you have to ask others for justification of a purchase (whatever it may be), then don't make the purchase.

#49 4 years ago

If you’re going to ask pinside if you should cancel your LE order might as well ask your wife what you should spend your money on.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hell yeah, having a TPF Deeproot announcement pre party. Come on down

That is tempting.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 49.99
$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball
Other
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 210.00
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
15,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Cruz, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-cancel-my-stranger-things-le-order?hl=vectorgamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.