(Topic ID: 261064)

Should I cancel my Stranger Things LE order?

By _xizor

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should I cancel my Stranger Things LE order?”

• Yes 264 votes
    82%
  • No 57 votes
    18%

(321 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
204FEF4A-3A90-4B50-A409-F3CE1089BE17 (resized).jpeg
07045745-6E52-4CE0-9E07-F385E63E611F (resized).jpeg
cleb.gif
download (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200201_232821406 (resized).jpg
Bail.gif

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 4 years ago

To base any decision on Pinside is a mistake and especially the threads when a game is initially released. Decide for yourself based on game play videos, playing a pro or whatever. If you are really hesitant, a Premium will always be available down the road.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

If you’re going to ask pinside if you should cancel your LE order might as well ask your wife what you should spend your money on.

She said I pay more attention to pinside, ask them.

#53 4 years ago

What are most distributors policies on cancellations after a deposit was made? Do they allow you to transfer or be refunded?

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

What are most distributors policies on cancellations after a deposit was made? Do they allow you to transfer or be refunded?

It seems to vary a bit. Looks like I can just bump my deposit to the next one though.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

It seems to vary a bit. Looks like I can just bump my deposit to the next one though.

Does it have to be the next LE or next anything?

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Does it have to be the next LE or next anything?

No, technically I think they’d just refund me if I want, but there’s always another pin.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

She said I pay more attention to pinside, ask them.

Seems like the answer is the same either way

#58 4 years ago

You knew the answer before you asked. Hope you received enough confirmation, good advice from many here in the know.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

You knew the answer before you asked. Hope you received enough confirmation, good advice from many here in the know.

Well, kinda knew. The poll ratio paints a picture for sure.

The issue with Stern NIB is it reminds me a lot of collecting Pachinko machines in the 2000s. In that world there’s a new title every month and a limited window to buy a LE quality one with predictable shipping costs. The theme / game play is what it is and if there is an upgrade in the future, consider yourself lucky.

What finally got me out of it was NIB prices got out of hand vs build quality. I had dozens of machines that I basically had to give away when I had my fill, because although I was happy with theme alone, anyone willing to pay the shipping to buy them from my town cared about build quality and other factors I long ignored.

#60 4 years ago

I think its funny how many opinions there are, and yet any of those making the opinion havent played a premium or LE yet

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

I wanted to hear from all the cool kids though!
Will you guys like me more if I buy it? Lol

Lol. No but my friend Chris will have a podcast tomorrow telling you what to do

He is a shill for Rick & Morty because he has one coming. #50.

Seriously though, I feel you have been around
Here now For 7 years and know better

The cool kids are keeping the LE

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

I think its funny how many opinions there are, and yet any of those making the opinion havent played a premium or LE yet

Why does it matter? Spooky sold 750 games in 4 hrs based on a 60 second video

If you love the theme, buy it whether or not you played it!

#63 4 years ago

Some people in the owners thread and on fb received their le's. Maybe contact few those people who have actually played the pin . Seems most are overall happy with the purchase and Obviously the game will only get better. Also le code is much further than the pro ... believe its .83 or around that.

#64 4 years ago

There is 12 ST for sale in the classifieds section. 4 are LE's that should tell you everything you need to know.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob-T-800:

There is 12 ST for sale in the classifieds section. 4 are LE's that should tell you everything you need to know.

They are from distros nib ? This is normal for a just released pin? People just started receiving them in the past day or so.

#66 4 years ago

Those are for sale by distribs. When Deadpool launched there were 7 or 8 LE ads for weeks. In other words, it means nothing

#67 4 years ago

Iceman spot on....!!!...why will no one come to play...they did once...why does the bug only bite some of us...???!!!!!!!!???????????...........Joey

#68 4 years ago
IMG_20200201_232821406 (resized).jpgIMG_20200201_232821406 (resized).jpg
#69 4 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

The core game is there with the Pro...few more bells and whistles won’t change it drastically. Sorry to break it to ya.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob-T-800:

There are 3 Ricks for sale right now and it’s not even shipping.

What does that tell you?

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

They are from distros nib ? This is normal for a just released pin? People just started receiving them in the past day or so.

Happens every pin release, people get it and sell it within a week or less.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Some people in the owners thread and on fb received their le's. Maybe contact few those people who have actually played the pin . Seems most are overall happy with the purchase and Obviously the game will only get better. Also le code is much further than the pro ... believe its .83 or around that.

Well said bigd. I know listening to the negativity on Pinside has never brought me any joy. Non owners do most of the complaing. Disrespectful non owners still spew their negativity on owners threads sometimes but generally owners threads are the way to go if you want genuine feedback on a game.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

There are 3 Ricks for sale right now and it’s not even shipping.
What does that tell you?

Tells you people only bought it to flip it for profit.

#74 4 years ago

Never buy an LE.

#75 4 years ago

You should’ve cancelled this yesterday! Yes, absolutely, act now. Cancel.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

but generally owners threads are the way to go if you want genuine feedback on a game.

I kind of disagree, Owners threads are nice but very rarely do you see, “meh, wish I didn’t buy this pin”

#77 4 years ago

Unless money is no object, I think better pins are just around the corner.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

I kind of disagree, Owners threads are nice but very rarely do you see, “meh, wish I didn’t buy this pin”

I have seen that plenty of times on owners threads and have utmost respect for owners being honest.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

I’ve played a Pro and it was okay. 5 games, not enough time on it, but I felt it was “okay”.

LE’s are about $8700 US, that’s a lot jingo for something that isn’t speaking to you. Good luck on your decision, but I’d probably use that kind of “fun money” on something I really want, which may not be a pinball machine.

#80 4 years ago

The hopper call outs on this Pin are insane. He should get a Golden Globe for his efforts

Where’s my hang mans noose.....,

#81 4 years ago

Why not wait a year or so and see how the game matures. Its tough especially if its a dream theme but there's plenty of proven pins to buy in the mean time.

#82 4 years ago

I think I’m done buying stern NiB or really a used stern that remotely close to NiB price. There are too many build issues and it sucks to have a beautiful new pin that has issues. I’ve learned my lesson the hard way and won’t get burnt again. They also do not stand behind their product. This maybe only my experience but it’s why I wouldn’t buy an LE or even a pro NiB.

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

I’ve been following the topics on Stranger Things and there’s more negativity in the thread than a standard NIB rant fest. Projector, build quality, component and toy concerns among comments about general level of fun playing it.
I’ve got enough pinballs I don’t need another so-so title in the lineup. I also don’t need another title waiting a year for finished or at least fun code.
Should I walk on Stranger Things?

6 months LEs will be under 7k

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

The hopper call outs on this Pin are insane. He should get a Golden Globe for his efforts
Where’s my hang mans noose.....,

Oooooookkkkkkkk

#85 4 years ago

Who cares what anybody else thinks. If you like it, then buy it. it’s really that simple. I never understood posts like this. Do you buy a pair of shoes because somebody else likes them? Do you buy anything else because someone else likes it? Apparently, I must be in the minority. I buy things because I actually like them.

#86 4 years ago

I hope everyone cancels their orders. I bought a JJPOTC CE and SE while reading the exact same advice from people who hadn’t even played the game. Worked out just fine for me. Same for GB, JP2, BM66, etc.

I opened an LE and it is fantastic, the projector makes a huge difference and the ball lock is badass. Projector and screen make the game very immersive. Each target and image projected area is mapped and is individually adjustable in the settings. Pretty cool stuff. Game plays fast and smooth. Moving demo adds a lot to the experience too. Almost like it is taunting you.

Here are the dumbest things I have heard spewed on this site about this game:

1) Projector is dim- wrong. It is just hard to film. Same as with filming dmd’s, TVs etc

2). No wire Ramps- how exactly is an image supposed to be projected on a wire ramp???

3). Hopper voice overs sound “unenthusiastic”. - yeah, because when I think of Hopper, I think exuberant enthusiasm. That’s exactly what the show goes for.

4). Not enough toys- go look at Iron Maiden

5) bad artwork- it is hand drawn and is drawn to represent the look and feel of the show in a manner that would be approved by the licensor, not pinside art experts.

6) shots look clunky- dead wrong. You want to see clunky, go play BM66.

7) Rules are too shallow- go play Tron

8 ) the demo shot is un-makeable - learn to adjust your games or “play better!” What fun would it be if it was easy. Sort of like hitting the hyper loop or blowing up the Death Star

If I didn’t like it, I would just dump it. It is fast and has the speed of SW. it has the speed of a Ritchie game with the shots of Eddy. tons of shots and what appears to be the beginning of a great rule set. The sounds are fantastic, especially when hooked to a sub.

Based on my past buying experiences and 7 years of Not following pinsides bad, but plentiful and free, advice, I want to encourage everyone here to immediately cancel their orders. The sky is falling!!!

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

Perhaps I should have worded the poll, “Would YOU cancel YOUR pre-order?”
Of course it’s my money and I can do what I want, but I’m trying to figure out if the forum negativity surrounding the title is actually warranted or if I should just wait and see it in person again. It’s 600.00 and/or two days to go play a pro in person for me at the moment...

The pattern I see is this: stern releases new title, right away some see QC issues and later more see those issues with pf wear. Lots of folks with no resolution after calling for help (no idea what that percentage is, but amount based on amount of Pinsiders buying THAT title seems high).

Add to this unfinished code, missing modes, and uninspiring designs, well, there it is.

Spooky releases new title: Popular theme, pf’s and QC are better than others, Charlie cares ( yeah, that matters Gary!)... Sold out in hours.

Hell, folks are even pulling for Deeproot, cuz it’s not Stern.

Enjoy record profits right now Stern, cuz when Distro’s cannot unload the stock, you’re in trouble.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

Who cares what anybody else thinks. If you like it, then buy it. it’s really that simple. I never understood posts like this. Do you buy a pair of shoes because somebody else likes them? Do you buy anything else because someone else likes it? Apparently, I must be in the minority. I buy things because I actually like them.

A lot of people buy things because they believe others will like it. I don’t get it, but it happens all the time. I think it has to be a “look what I have mentality.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

My EHOH, which I like, already has enough wear and tear on it that it is far from new, in a matter of months.

The fact that you’d buy another Stern, let alone an LE, after that is mindboggling.

My Stern games, built from 2005-2013 with thousands of plays on them, could all pass for relatively new. Wear and tear after months = DEFECTIVE.

#90 4 years ago

Its time for another trademark Odin parody thread based on all these “will I or won’t I?!” Stranger things threads.

“Should I cancel my order for 2 carne asada burritos?”

“A serious message for big produce: why I’m out on my broccoli purchase.”

“I can’t make any decision, small or large, in my life without consulting a bunch of complete strangers. Should I take a shower this morning?”

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Its time for another trademark Odin parody thread based on all these “will I or won’t I?!” Stranger things threads.
“Should I cancel my order for 2 carne asada burritos?”
“A serious message for big produce: why I’m out on my broccoli purchase.”
“I can’t make any decision, small or large, in my life without consulting a bunch of complete strangers. Should I take a shower this morning?”

To shit or not to shit?

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

I hope everyone cancels their orders. I bought a JJPOTC CE and SE while reading the exact same advice from people who hadn’t even played the game. Worked out just fine for me. Same for GB, JP2, BM66, etc.
I opened an LE and it is fantastic, the projector makes a huge difference and the ball lock is badass. Projector and screen make the game very immersive. Each target and image projected area is mapped and is individually adjustable in the settings. Pretty cool stuff. Game plays fast and smooth. Moving demo adds a lot to the experience too. Almost like it is taunting you.
Here are the dumbest things I have heard spewed on this site about this game:
1) Projector is dim- wrong. It is just hard to film. Same as with filming dmd’s, TVs etc
2). No wire Ramps- how exactly is an image supposed to be projected on a wire ramp???
3). Hopper voice overs sound “unenthusiastic”. - yeah, because when I think of Hopper, I think exuberant enthusiasm. That’s exactly what the show goes for.
4). Not enough toys- go look at Iron Maiden
5) bad artwork- it is hand drawn and is drawn to represent the look and feel of the show in a manner that would be approved by the licensor, not pinside art experts.
6) shots look clunky- dead wrong. You want to see clunky, go play BM66.
7) Rules are too shallow- go play Tron
8 ) the demo shot is un-makeable - learn to adjust your games or “play better!” What fun would it be if it was easy. Sort of like hitting the hyper loop or blowing up the Death Star
If I didn’t like it, I would just dump it. It is fast and has the speed of SW. it has the speed of a Ritchie game with the shots of Eddy. tons of shots and what appears to be the beginning of a great rule set. The sounds are fantastic, especially when hooked to a sub.
Based on my past buying experiences and 7 years of Not following pinsides bad, but plentiful and free, advice, I want to encourage everyone here to immediately cancel their orders. The sky is falling!!!

90% of the ball return area looks like it could have been a metal habit rail as the projector wouldn't project images in that area. We've seen plastic ramp entrances with metal ball returns over the years on other games. What happened on Stranger Things just comes across as another example of cost cutting. I thought someone mentioned that Brian Eddy said the plastic ramps are a "cost cutting thing" or something along those lines?

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

Should I cancel my Stranger Things LE order?

Man up! Seek out a Premium/LE, play it a bunch, inspect it closely, and make up your own mind.

Otherwise, if in serious doubt, just hold off for now. Plenty of other quality games available in the meantime and you'll always be able to get a nice Stranger Things later if you decide to.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Like every other pinball machine

Yeah, but more in line with munsters, black knight, and other lesser loved LE titles. It’s ok to say when a game isn’t the hit we all expected and resale just doesn’t hold as strong. It is what it is.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Man up! Seek out a Premium/LE, play it a bunch, inspect it closely, and make up your own mind.
Otherwise, if in serious doubt, just hold off for now. Plenty of other quality games available in the meantime and you'll always be able to get a nice Stranger Things later if you decide to.

It's not about manning up. It's about not having access to one within 1500 miles to play.

#96 4 years ago

I have the LE and I like it, but that being said there’s no denying the stern LE market is soft since the solid string of shit games. I had a black knight le, loved the art work and the premise of the game pulled me in. Turned out once it wasn’t selling due to shot variation missing they said fuck it and moved on, same with munsters, JP I think did better but really the pro is still a very arguable viable option. Stranger things I simply liked the art and I think it could be a good game. If you have doubt I’d say no, only thing you will miss out on is the art package. Get a premium and wait, that being said I got the LE and think it plays way better than the pro.

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Yeah, but more in line with munsters, black knight, and other lesser loved LE titles. It’s ok to say when a game isn’t the hit we all expected and resale just doesn’t hold as strong. It is what it is.

That's what they said about "The Walking Dud" and BM66. Lyman came through and made them great.

People are always way too early to judge because they think they have to blurt out some opinion without all the facts. But that's just Pinside and what we do here.

The fact is that the code, sound and callouts aren't finished. If you love the theme you are going to like the game. If it's not what you expected then that "is what it is".

Bunch of parrots that can't think or formulate an opinion for themselves.

Based on the streams i've watched the game has great potential. Maybe it never reaches that potential, we'll see what happens. THEME is #1.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

I have the LE and I like it, but that being said there’s no denying the stern LE market is soft since the solid string of shit games.

I would say the ENTIRE market is soft, its not just STERN. And would have to disagree with the "solid string of shit games", i don't put JP and Elvira in that category.

Black Knight? I wouldn't call it shit but i wouldn't buy it either.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's what they said about "The Walking Dud" and BM66. Lyman came through and made them great.
People are always way too early to judge because they think they have to blurt out some opinion without all the facts. But that's just Pinside and what we do here.
The fact is that the code, sound and callouts aren't finished. If you love the theme you are going to like the game. If it's not what you expected then that "is what it is".
Bunch of parrots that can't think or formulate an opinion for themselves.
Based on the streams i've watched the game has great potential. Maybe it never reaches that potential, we'll see what happens. THEME is #1.

The ones you mentioned have one thing in common...Lyman. This obviously is missing that key element. I wouldn’t bet my money on this one yet. You’re right, it’s definitely too early, but based off the fact people aren’t climbing over each other for an LE, I’m very confident that these will be very available at a better than average huo discount in 6 months plus. I’d wait and see if I was the op. There’s an obvious hesitation from him and imo for valid reasons.

#100 4 years ago

Get afm(r) instead.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-cancel-my-stranger-things-le-order/page/2?hl=jy64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.