(Topic ID: 296993)

Should I buy Stranger Things pro as my first machine?

By UCFKnight71

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

887C4450-F9F1-4215-83FB-F7FC1807A173 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20210720_063958834.jpg
    PXL_20210720_063618190.MP.jpg

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

I've been on the hunt for an older machine locally with a tight budget. My wife mentioned that maybe our first machine should be a new one. I could do interest free payments on a new machine for a year, so that expands my budget. I'm considering a pro model, since Premium pricing is just out of my comfort zone. I've been playing a lot of Stern's newer machines locally, and here's what I found:

Jurassic Park: the pro model without the moving T-Rex felt like too much of a compromise.
    Batman '66: didn't hold my interest, and the theme was just ok.
    Deadpool: thought I would love this machine, but found it kind of boring.
    Avengers: same as Deadpool, and no subway seemed like a big compromise.
    Led Zeppelin: fun game, but the pro model without the center attraction would feel barren.
    Iron Maiden: had lots of fun with this one, which surprised me. The theme is ok, but not my kind of music, and not something I would typically own.
    Stranger Things: had a great time with this one, and my kids really enjoyed it too. Didn't mind the compromises with the pro edition. I think the uv kit would be a nice eventual upgrade.
    TMNT: thought I would love it, and the pro version makes very few compromises...but I didn't. So disappointed. It just wasn't fun for some reason.
    Elvira: loved it...no pro model though.
    Guardians of the Galaxy: it was ok, but not a lot of fun.
    Mandalorian: didn't get to play much, since it's popular, but it didn't immediately hook me.
    Star Wars: didn't get to play much, but seemed like a lot of pauses in gameplay, which didn't feel as good.

So, I'm thinking Stranger Things pro model, but I'm worried about maintenance. Is that gate going to be hard to keep working? Would this be hard for someone new to the hobby to keep up with? I also considered the Star Wars Comic Art home edition, which is $2000 cheaper than a pro. It seems like it plays really well for a budget machine. But, having pressboard for the playfield vs. real wood seems like a deal breaker. Living in Florida with a humid climate makes me worry about that pressboard expanding and warping. Is that a valid concern?

Anyway, I'd love to hear feedback on getting a Stranger things pro! I do wish the artwork on the pro was a little better though. I could do without the focus being on bloody nose Eleven!

#2 2 years ago

I would try and play the ones that you are interested in, then go with the one you will like the best. You will get 50 different opinions here lol.

Star Trek Pro is a fun game! Very deep rules and great theme integration.

Update: Just realized the title mentions Stranger Things, thought it said Star Trek initially lol.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would try and play the ones that you are interested in, then go with the one you will like the best. You will get 50 different opinions here lol.
    Star Trek Pro is a fun game! Very deep rules and great theme integration.

I'd love a Star Trek, but don't see any new ones available. Anyone still selling them at msrp?

#4 2 years ago

Start trek is not being made anymore, you’ll have to find a used one. Great game and flow!

#5 2 years ago

Star Trek pro would be a great first pin.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Start trek is not being made anymore, you’ll have to find a used one. Great game and flow!

I am not a huge Stern fan but a nice Star Trek is one I would snatch up in a heart beat. Super fun to shoot and a super solid theme.

#7 2 years ago

Just buy whichever of those games pops up locally on pin side market...

#8 2 years ago

Sure, why not?

#9 2 years ago

You could do far worse for your first game. Star Trek is quite good.

#10 2 years ago

I just had a similar conversation with someone yesterday.

Avengers Pro - I actually think the subway slows down game play and the Pro is a great shooter. If you like the theme, I would give it a second chance.

Jurassic Park - The moving dinosaur is a cute gimmick, but gameplay does not suffer on the Pro. This is a great game!

Iron Maiden - I think the Pro is a great alternative to the premium / LE experience. The captive ball and raising ramp don't add much to gameplay.

Star Trek - If you can find one, the game is deep and I really enjoy it. I do think the Premium is a nice upgrade with powder coating, RGB lights, metal ramps, etc. and the LE is beautiful (I have owned all three models and settled on the LE).

Star Wars - I would avoid the Pro. Feel cheap compared to the Premium / LE

Stranger Things - Losing the projector is not that big of a deal and the magnet lock on the premium/le has never worked correctly.

Led Zep - Avoid the Pro! LE is a fun shooter.

#11 2 years ago

If its your first game I would go with a easier to play game... Stranger Things, Led Zepp, ST or Guardians would be good choices

Star Trek I played in a tourney once and had like a 25 minute ball and I didnt really even know what I was doing rulewise.

I love me some Star Wars but that game is a ballbuster

The Elwin games are cool for what they are but they tend to be way deep and tougher to get into

#12 2 years ago

My first pin was a Star Trek Pro Vault. Awesome game. Pick up a good example used. Game play is excellent, and you can dip your toe into care and maintenance on a used machine before you get a brand new game.

#13 2 years ago

Stat trek pro >stranger things pro IMO.
    IMDN also very good pro for home.
    You seem to have a solid location with newer sterns so nothing wrong with taking time to decide.

#14 2 years ago

I think star trek pro would be a great choice

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

There are still a few floating around w/ distributors believe it or not.

#16 2 years ago

People keep mentioning #star_trek because ST is the abbreviation for it. Change your thread title to Stranger Things and you'll get better responses.

Whatever you do, avoid Jonathan Demare / ASOA. See this thread for details: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/part-2-beware-of-jonathan-demare-asoa-

Add a poll to your thread! I've yet to play Stranger Things (Pro)

Quoted from UCFKnight71:

Star Wars Comic Art home edition

The home editions are totally different machines. Different playfield, code, tiny screen compared to pro/premium/LE tables. If you like them, fine. Just know what you're getting.
    Stern's website is great for research.
    https://sternpinball.com/affordable-home-game/ vs.
    https://sternpinball.com/games/

#17 2 years ago

The home versions don't hold their value compared to the commercial units.

#18 2 years ago

Ha! I also dropped in to say you should absolutely buy a Star Trek pro!

#19 2 years ago

IMDN - All are great. Pro is a good value without having to dial in the captive ball and lock. Shooter lane can be enough to dial in on a first pin.
    AIQ - pro. Subway is a negative.
    ST - Either, Premium/LE nicer package. Excellent first pin.
    JP - Pro. Trex is cute and novel, but doesn’t add to game play. Dialing it in takes effort, and one screw coming loose in the head can require you to disassemble the entire mech.
    DP - premium
    STh - pro would good first pin. All the game play, without difficult TK lock to deal with.

#20 2 years ago

Sorry everyone! Just changed my title to Stranger Things Pro! Rookie mistake...

I'd jump on Star Trek, but none available near me!

#21 2 years ago

If you're financing your first pin, I would suggest buying a slightly used pin from someone else, assuming you can get it at a reasonable price. (Less than a current NIB)
    It will be just as fun to have a used pin in your place vs one that you unboxed yourself, trust me.
    This way, once you decide you need a different game in your life, you can quite likely sell the current one for the same price you paid.
    If you try that with a Stranger Things NIB (or likely any other NIB), there's a good chance you'll take a financial hit.
    My two cents.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

If you're financing your first pin, I would suggest buying a slightly used pin from someone else, assuming you can get it at a reasonable price. (Less than a current NIB)
    It will be just as fun to have a used pin in your place vs one that you unboxed yourself, trust me.
    This way, once you decide you need a different game in your life, you can quite likely sell the current one for the same price you paid.
    If you try that with a Stranger Things NIB (or likely any other NIB), there's a good chance you'll take a financial hit.
    My two cents.

I think that's good advice, but the used market seems to be almost as expensive as new for some reason here!

#23 2 years ago

Absolutely, buy the game you love or the theme you enjoy. It about your game room, and your family enjoyment. Playing it as you did is the key. I like the game, my wife loves the game.

Greg
    pinballpro.com

#24 2 years ago

Most of the initial issues with stranger things have been resolved in later builds. Even if you do have a problem with the one-way gate it's very simple to adjust it and never have a problem again. I haven't heard of anybody with newer builds having that problem though. The only thing that the pros coming off the line may need adjusted is the demogorgon shot. It is now well known how to adjust that properly and is not very hard at all.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from UCFKnight71:

I think that's good advice, but the used market seems to be almost as expensive as new for some reason here!

Trust me, it's not just happening near you

#26 2 years ago

Id buy a NIB Stranger Things... its one of those games that gains fans every day and may get up there in price someday.

It was generally shit on initially so I dont know that they made a ton of them.

Stranger things wasnt my favorite since I like tougher games (had one for a while) but everyone that came over and played it loved it.

The UV thing is mandatory cause its so cool..

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

its one of those games that gains fans every day and may get up there in price someday.

The premiums and LE's have shot up in value.

#28 2 years ago

Sth would be my #1 first buy. We all love it that much.

Turtles
    Ghostbusters
    Deadpool
    JP

all great pins for a first timer imo
    (i like modern sterns)

#29 2 years ago

Best Pro value in my opinion.

TMNT
    Jurassic Park
    Iron Maiden
    Deadpool

Stranger things is just a touch below… that’s because it doesn’t come with the Projector or UV light kit. Obviously you can add a UV light kit and this pushes it to the list above.

If I had premium $ to spend Stranger things would be near the top of my considerations.

#31 2 years ago

Love my stranger things pro. Have had maybe 10 or so pins so not crazy, but really happy with it. Star trek is great too just like the vibe and theme better on Stranger Things. Shoots well too. Also my gate fell out of spot early but you're talking a minute to repair its nothing. I'm no mechanic to say the least and super easy.

#32 2 years ago

As someone that hasn't even seen the first full season of Stranger Things, much less anything after...

The game has grown on me. If I have one complaint, the center toy shot is too damn hard to hit. It's wildly inconsistent on location, and out of probably well over 400 shots I've made to the thing, I've hit it exactly *twice*. It's a bad design. The rest of the game? Perfectly good. Decent rules from what I can make out, the flow is excellent aside from Mystery being lit every three seconds and that stops the ball. Multiballs are fun and rewarding.

I was a D- on the theme, but I'm like an A- on the actual gameplay.

#33 2 years ago

No, Whats your choices? Art it terrible. White panels look out of place. Game play is Meh. Pro is even worse.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

As someone that hasn't even seen the first full season of Stranger Things, much less anything after...
    The game has grown on me. If I have one complaint, the center toy shot is too damn hard to hit. It's wildly inconsistent on location, and out of probably well over 400 shots I've made to the thing, I've hit it exactly *twice*. It's a bad design. The rest of the game? Perfectly good. Decent rules from what I can make out, the flow is excellent aside from Mystery being lit every three seconds and that stops the ball. Multiballs are fun and rewarding.

It's not a bad design, it's that the shot has not been adjusted properly. Each machine is different and the demogorgon needs to be raised or lowered based off how the machine is setup. It's not hard to do at all but I seriously doubt most operators out there are spending the time to do it. A shame really as when the shot is dialed in the demogorgon modes are super fun.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I played STh on location last week in Frisco at Co. Bar and was nailing the demogorgon consistently. They had it nicely dialed in.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from PrinzFred:

Stranger Things - Losing the projector is not that big of a deal and the magnet lock on the premium/le has never worked correctly.

Wrong.

#38 2 years ago

Yes

#39 2 years ago

Nothing wrong with any pro models on your list. JP and Maiden are both brilliant pins and will last in a small collection. Stranger things is surprisingly fun - just like AFM. And don’t fall asleep on Mando, it’s gonna be a beauty. Good luck in your search!

#40 2 years ago

Just don’t buy a home pin. I’ve never played one but you simply can not go wrong with a Stern pro.

The home pin is really aimed for not real pinball people. Just at someone who wants something like a real pinball machine but don’t want to pay for a real one.

I’d recommend SW, Deadpool, JP, Stranger Things, Maiden or ST pro among others.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

It's not a bad design, it's that the shot has not been adjusted properly. Each machine is different and the demogorgon needs to be raised or lowered based off how the machine is setup. It's not hard to do at all but I seriously doubt most operators out there are spending the time to do it. A shame really as when the shot is dialed in the demogorgon modes are super fun.

I’m struggling with this, I just got my stranger things pro and the DG shot is nearly impossible. I have been looking through the forums but don’t really understand what this easy adjustment method is. I want to dial it in but have no clue what to do. I have played many times in location and can consistently nail the shot. Other than that, I love the pin!

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

I’m struggling with this, I just got my stranger things pro and the DG shot is nearly impossible. I have been looking through the forums but don’t really understand what this easy adjustment method is. I want to dial it in but have no clue what to do. I have played many times in location and can consistently nail the shot. Other than that, I love the pin!

There are a lot of key posts in the Stranger Things owners thread on how to dial the DG in.

#43 2 years ago

Not a bad choice to start out with.

#44 2 years ago

I was in your spot 2 years ago. I think you should buy a nib that you have played and enjoyed. I bought a Gotg nib and it was great purchase and it is has been error free since the day. I have now added a jp2 and just bought my first used machine after a couple of years. The one mistake that I did make was not asking around more about who to order it from. Marshall at little shop of games is great and so is will from old town pinball.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

There are 2 spacers under the demogorgon. They need to be adjusted to raise.or lower the demogorgon depending on how the shot is missing. Search spacers in the stranger things thread. It's not hard to do at all.

#46 2 years ago

maiden, jp, new star wars..........all much better pins.

#47 2 years ago

No, he’s right. The projector just moves the video from the LCD to the screen in the middle of the playfield. Yeah, the letters on the drop targets are cool, but if you like that RFM is 10x better for video targets. And the Pro is great because you can make the GI as bright as you want without worrying about the projector.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

My two cents.

Quoted from feedthebiscuit:

I was in your spot 2 years ago. I think you should buy a nib that you have played and enjoyed. I bought a Gotg nib and it was great purchase and it is has been error free since the day. I have now added a jp2 and just bought my first used machine after a couple of years. The one mistake that I did make was not asking around more about who to order it from. Marshall at little shop of games is great and so is will from old town pinball.

Old Town Pinball is only about an hour away from my house. Might consider buying from them.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

No, he’s right. The projector just moves the video from the LCD to the screen in the middle of the playfield. Yeah, the letters on the drop targets are cool, but if you like that RFM is 10x better for video targets. And the Pro is great because you can make the GI as bright as you want without worrying about the projector.

The videos are/can be different depending on what's going on.

#50 2 years ago

Used prices are stupid now. Go new. If you love Stranger Things, then that's the one for you. I was very close to ordering one but made a last minute change to Black Knight.

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-buy-st-pro-as-my-first-machine?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.