(Topic ID: 296993)

Should I buy Stranger Things pro as my first machine?

By UCFKnight71

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

887C4450-F9F1-4215-83FB-F7FC1807A173 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20210720_063958834.jpg
    PXL_20210720_063618190.MP.jpg

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago

I bought NIB STh Pro recently and didn’t need to do any dialing in. Demogorgon is very makeable from both flippers. Even if not, sounds like it’s easy to adjust.

#52 2 years ago

Everyone mentions JP because it's the best recent game made. I'd go with that one, it never gets boring. I've got close to 2,000 plays on it, and like 100 plays on Maiden and AIQ.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from joetechbob:

The videos are/can be different depending on what's going on.

From what I’ve seen, the video and picture content is the same. But you do get more in-game info with the projector.

#54 2 years ago

UCFKnight71 Yes, you should because it is a fun game and kids are interested. Plus, your wife says buy NIB. How can you go wrong?

#55 2 years ago

Sure. Why not? Get what you want. Who cares what we say?

#56 2 years ago

I like everything you wrote except DP is boring? Huh, that's a new one. And I think I wrote in your other thread I love the Premium Stranger things I play at my local bar. I make the Demigorgan shot all the time and swear its cuz it moves on that model but I suppose it could be cuz Stern adjusted it in a later run but either way that would be less adjusting you gota do! Otherwise STH is my second favorite fan layout of all time. (EHOH) Happy hunting!

#57 2 years ago

Stranger thing is fun for 5 minutes, I know they wanted to make an AFM kind of shooter, but they fell short. I find that game to be boring, I know the uv light is a cool effect but all it makes is a boring game with a cool effect.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

No, he’s right. The projector just moves the video from the LCD to the screen in the middle of the playfield. Yeah, the letters on the drop targets are cool, but if you like that RFM is 10x better for video targets. And the Pro is great because you can make the GI as bright as you want without worrying about the projector.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I was talking about the TK lock.

But yes the projector is very cool too and I would feel like I was missing a lot with the pro. Much more than most pro vs premium models.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Stranger thing is fun for 5 minutes, I know they wanted to make an AFM kind of shooter, but they fell short. I find that game to be boring, I know the uv light is a cool effect but all it makes is a boring game with a cool effect.

You are correct, sir. It's fun for 5 minutes...until you hit the start button again. Then it's fun for another 5 minutes. And another. And another...

I haven't stopped playing it since I got it in February of 2020. The game made all those pandemic lockdowns not only tolerable, but pretty epic.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from thekaiser82:

I played STh on location last week in Frisco at Co. Bar and was nailing the demogorgon consistently. They had it nicely dialed in.

Cool. Get them to call Free Play Richardson and tell their tech how to adjust it.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

I bought NIB STh Pro recently and didn’t need to do any dialing in. Demogorgon is very makeable from both flippers. Even if not, sounds like it’s easy to adjust.

See my post above.

#62 2 years ago

You don't like DP? Thats weird...but to each their own I guess. Stranger things pro would be very low on the pros I would buy personally. I was in the same boat as you earlier this year. Ended up buying new because used stuff was the same price or higher!

#63 2 years ago

Deadpool was going to be my second choice. Great game.

#64 2 years ago

Wow quite a bit of misinformation on Stranger Things. I would say if you like the game, get it. It is fun, the shots are on the easier side (like a modern Bally Williams) but there is plenty there that it won't become boring. There is a lot of great information in the owner's thread. Make sure you get Cleland's mix as it makes the audio a lot better.

#65 2 years ago

I have to say, I would be missing that projector though. It was one of the coolest features I've seen on a pin in a long time. That's my problem with Stranger Things. It' great that the UV kit works on all models though because that also blew me away.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I have to say, I would be missing that projector though. It was one of the coolest features I've seen on a pin in a long time. That's my problem with Stranger Things. It' great that the UV kit works on all models though because that also blew me away.

Ya, it's pretty subjective. I got a Iron Maiden Premium as my first pin since I'm a a big fan of the band and I like the art on the premium a lot more. After playing it and the pro a good amount I think the pro is a better cost to value ratio, but I Dont regret getting the premium.

For Kiss I got a pro and totally fine with that since the art so similar and the gameplay enhancements so minimal.

For the stern I've seen pro vs. Premium seems all over the place. I haven't played either model of stranger things, but from what I've seen the projector is the central "gimmick" so if I was interested in it I'd go with the Premium or not at all.

On the flip side I'm a casual marvel fan at most, but the avengers infinity war looks pretty loaded for a pro.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from Obed_Marsh:

Ya, it's pretty subjective. I got a Iron Maiden Premium as my first pin since I'm a a big fan of the band and I like the art on the premium a lot more. After playing it and the pro a good amount I think the pro is a better cost to value ratio, but I Dont regret getting the premium.

I'm a casual marvel fan at most, but the avengers infinity war looks pretty loaded for a pro.

Keith Elwin seems to really make games that A) make a pro buyer feel like they get a great loaded game and B) make the premium buyer feel like they get enough extras to justify the additional cost.

#68 2 years ago

If the projector is finicky and needs cerain room lighting, I could get over it though. The demongordan (how ever you spell it) does a little more on the premium, right? Probably not enought to make it a big deal. I have only played the premium, so my knowledge of the pro is only pictures and Stern's matrix.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

The demongordan (how ever you spell it) does a little more on the premium, right?

It’s demogorgon, but I like your spelling too. It shakes on the premium.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

It’s demogorgon, but I like your spelling too. It shakes on the premium.

Does the shake make it harder to get all net?

Ha, also realized I misspelled however. Too lazy to correct previous post.

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Does the shake make it harder to get all net?
    Ha, also realized I misspelled however. Too lazy to correct previous post.

Consensus is that the shaking makes it easier. But I can sink that putt in one stroke on my Pro, as long as I start from a left flipper cradle.

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Consensus is that the shaking makes it easier. But I can sink that putt in one stroke on my Pro, as long as I start from a left flipper cradle.

Well Sh#t because I had lots of fun on the premium, but a lot of off the rim bounces. Good excuse for home use to dial it in.

Sorry, not my thread. Maybe I'm trying to talk myself into something.

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

From what I’ve seen, the video and picture content is the same. But you do get more in-game info with the projector.

On the prem/le the LCD and projector are almost always displaying different content. Or do you mean the pro LCD displays the projector content?

Grabbed a couple pics.

PXL_20210720_063618190.MP.jpgPXL_20210720_063618190.MP.jpgPXL_20210720_063958834.jpgPXL_20210720_063958834.jpg
    #74 2 years ago

Demogorgon.shot on my pro is 100% consistent from a cradle either flipper and a pretty easy on the fly shot. We had some friends over last weekend and the kids who had never played pinball were nailing it first shot no problem. If you can't consistently hit the shot from both flippers then you still have some adjustments to do. That shot is so core to this game and needs to be makeable.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from joetechbob:

On the prem/le the LCD and projector are almost always displaying different content. Or do you mean the pro LCD displays the projector content?
    Grabbed a couple pics.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

The pro appears to display the main content. Both versions are cool and I like the projector but really dislike the TK lock and not being able to backhand the left ramp.

887C4450-F9F1-4215-83FB-F7FC1807A173 (resized).jpeg887C4450-F9F1-4215-83FB-F7FC1807A173 (resized).jpeg
    #76 2 years ago
    Quoted from Waxx:

The pro appears to display the main content. Both versions are cool and I like the projector but really dislike the TK lock and not being able to backhand the left ramp.
    [quoted image]

Love the TK lock but agree on the back hand. That said, it's makeable on mine, but you have to be dead on and even then it barely makes it. What it then encourages you to do though is to try to start a mode before lighting lock as you can still easily back hand in that game state.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from joetechbob:

Right, the projector (main image) shows the same thing as the Pro’s LCD 99% of the time. What’s different is what you see on the LCD for the Pre/LE. Your “Turn up the Heat” pic is a good example. I don’t see a fireplace on my pro. The best thing about the projector is seeing the letters on the drop targets; that’s cool.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Right, the projector (main image) shows the same thing as the Pro’s LCD 99% of the time. What’s different is what you see on the LCD for the Pre/LE. Your “Turn up the Heat” pic is a good example. I don’t see a fireplace on my pro. The best thing about the projector is seeing the letters on the drop targets; that’s cool.

Spinner projection is sweet too.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

You are correct, sir. It's fun for 5 minutes...until you hit the start button again. Then it's fun for another 5 minutes. And another. And another...
    I haven't stopped playing it since I got it in February of 2020. The game made all those pandemic lockdowns not only tolerable, but pretty epic.
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"741d7872ee47eec0060654ebe11c300cbb5733a5-1626928951-1800"};
    //]]>

I hope they have one at Pinfest to try out.I’ve pretty much given up on buying a used game due to the crazy prices we’re seeing now.

#80 2 years ago

Stranger Things didn’t really click for me until I studied the ruleset (on TiltForums), watched a few tutorial videos, then went back to the barcade and played it. I didn’t understand the modes or Burn It Back shot at all the first time around.

1 week later
    #81 2 years ago
    Quoted from MacGruber:

I like everything you wrote except DP is boring? Huh, that's a new one. And I think I wrote in your other thread I love the Premium Stranger things I play at my local bar. I make the Demigorgan shot all the time and swear its cuz it moves on that model but I suppose it could be cuz Stern adjusted it in a later run but either way that would be less adjusting you gota do! Otherwise STH is my second favorite fan layout of all time. (EHOH) Happy hunting!

I got to play pinball for hours on Sunday at Arcade Monsters and I was soooo wrong about Deadpool! I had so much fun playing the machine that I just kept going back to it. It has definitely moved up my list! I had the most fun with Deadpool, then Stranger things, then Mando. The problem is they were all premium models. I've played enough of Stranger Things Pro to know that it still plays great. Is Deadpool Pro a huge downgrade from the premium?

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from UCFKnight71:

I got to play pinball for hours on Sunday at Arcade Monsters and I was soooo wrong about Deadpool! I had so much fun playing the machine that I just kept going back to it. It has definitely moved up my list! I had the most fun with Deadpool, then Stranger things, then Mando. The problem is they were all premium models. I've played enough of Stranger Things Pro to know that it still plays great. Is Deadpool Pro a huge downgrade from the premium?

Dead pro is still a a really great game. It might be a tad easier since the left orbit drops the ball in the pops. Easier to defeat villains. Overall I prefer the premium as the left orbit return to the right flipper is slick, and disco loops is very cool and you miss out on that with the pro.

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from UCFKnight71:

That's great! No DP pro is fantastic! Might be Sterns best pro! It helps it might be sterns best game but what eves! Hey I got lucky and got a LE nib a year after its release (can you imagine) before ppl realized it's amazing or I would've got a pro. I would also argue the Premium might be easier cuz the drops deaden the craziness on the bottom as opposed to the stand-ups on the pro so it evens out from what the previous post said. You can't go wrong!

#84 2 years ago

Sounds like a Deadpool pro will be your best bet. It's a super fun game.

#85 2 years ago

The perfect first game and one game collection is, in my opinion, Spider-Man. No new ones to speak of, but lightly used vaults would be in that same price range.

#86 2 years ago

I would go with a Keith elwin game... they are a step above all else

#87 2 years ago

I just got into the hobby as well. I bought two machines. I could afford a premium and a pro (or) one LE. I knew I wanted the AIQ premium but it took me a while to settle on which pro. As far as pros go... I narrowed it down between Mando, Turtles and Jurassic Park. I ultimately went with Mando and I have no regrets. It is so fun. I thought having a static playfield was going to take away from the experience but I was wrong. The upper playfield is so fun and challenging. Good luck with your decision. Let us know how it goes.

~Chase

#88 2 years ago

Have both a ST Prem and just picked up a DP Pro
    I’d say the DP pro is a good bang for your buck
    Game is a blast and keeps you coming back
    I think it’s pretty loaded for a pro

#89 2 years ago

Buy Dead Pool and never look back.

#90 2 years ago

I have stranger things pro and DP LE. I really like stranger things but DP is on another level. DP is just so fun and it seems like the more I play, the more I enjoy it. I tracked down an LE since it’s probably my favorite pin but I don’t think the pro is by any means a significant downgrade. I have a good amount of games on a pro and still loved it. Stranger things is still annoying the crap out of me with fixing the DG shot haha

#91 2 years ago

Just as a counter point, I just sold my DP LE but have zero intentions of selling my Stranger Things LE any time soon. I definitely prefer Stranger Things over DP.

#92 2 years ago

I considered all the games on your list when I was deciding along with a few jj and ap games and went out looking for all of them on location. I put at least 20 plays through all the ones I could find (no mando, deadpool i found was in bad shape), and 50-100 more through the ones that really shined. IMDN and STh came out on top by a significant margin, with JP still in the running if I could find a good used one discounted (that didn't happen).

Quoted from UCFKnight71:

Iron Maiden: had lots of fun with this one, which surprised me. The theme is ok, but not my kind of music, and not something I would typically own.
    Stranger Things: had a great time with this one, and my kids really enjoyed it too. Didn't mind the compromises with the pro edition. I think the uv kit would be a nice eventual upgrade.

I could have gone either way. They're very different in what they do, but both are fantastic overall. I ended up going with Maiden, but I was really into them years ago and still enjoy them now as a guilty pleasure. If I ever have room for a second, It'll be STh vs whatever comes next/older stuff depending on what the secondary market looks like at that point.

1 month later
    #93 2 years ago

Hey everyone! Quick update. I picked up a Deadpool Pro from a fellow Pinsider today! Having lots of fun with it! Stranger Things is still on my wishlist though!

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-buy-st-pro-as-my-first-machine/page/2?hl=utesichiban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.