10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Patofnaud
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Looking for some advice. I am restoring a few of my games and wanted to get peoples thoughts on replacing parts. If all of your micro switches are working do you replace them anyway? I am doing a full tear down so I have all the wire harnesses and other parts completely off the game anyway. Since the game is all apart it is easier to replace now as opposed to when it's fully back. I definitely switching out the slings and jet switches and most of the standup targets as those are used and abused. With all that costs are going up by the day.

#2 10 years ago

If you buy just the microswitch body and use the old metal arm part they don't cost much. I have been replacing all the switches on the pins I've totally torn down and put back together. So I would replace them or at least the ones that will be hard to get to if you need to replace them.

#3 10 years ago

There is something to be said for preventative maintenance. And there is something to be said for leaving well enough alone. I have been leaning towards repairing them only when they break. YMMV, of course.

#4 10 years ago

I only replace them when they start to get flaky or, of course, fail altogether. Most switches last a loooong time. But then again, I am not restoring games.

#5 10 years ago

I replace them all on restorations I do. I don't want my guys to have to worry about them. And as someone else said, you really want to do those that are hard to get to once everything's back in place.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks guys those were my thoughts replace those hat to get at when the game is on and just use the working ones on the easy to reach spots.

#7 10 years ago

make sure you get the diodes for the switches too

#8 10 years ago

Definitely I can't find them on Great Plains website though. Anybody know the part number

Quoted from planters49:make sure you get the diodes for the switches too

#9 10 years ago

1N4004 is the standard diode for switch matrix, lamp matrix and across coils

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-buy-new-switches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.