Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pinfidel
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-355.jpg
    image-213.jpg
    DSCN1014.jpg
    DSCN1013.jpg
    DSCN1017.jpg
    timeshock.jpg
    188041-i.jpg
    photo 1 copy 2.JPG
    mini12.JPG
    pump.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    fb1.JPG
    fb2.JPG
    DSCN0941-448.jpg
    DSCN0941.jpg
    20121209_142353.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimjim66.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 10 years ago

If you want one to replace a real pin then the answer is no.

If you want a really fun video game about pinball in your gameroom to mix things up, then the answer is yes.

Members of a pinball forum will always say pack as many pins in a room as possible. I personally like a little diversity, even though pinball is my favorite gameroom item.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

That's the funny thing, when I was building all the virtual guys were scrambling to run real DMDs to make their cabs feel authentic (I know I did) and the people with real pins can't wait for ColorDMD to let them stick an LCD screen in instead of a plasma or LED display.

I brought that up in the Hyper-pin forums in a post about how they are putting the plasma or LED DMD's in there cabs to emulate real pinball, when "real" pinball is switching over to LCD technology that they do not want to use.

When I suggested to my buddy to keep an LCD in his cab to be ahead of the curve, he told me that he wanted to be authentic. I explained in 5 years it will be as I see all manufacturers going to LCD technology for color and expense.

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from shakenbake:

It will be very useful with what we are about to see from Pinball FX2

When is that coming out? I am anxious for it, I am also excited about Pinball HD getting a cabinet setting and Timeshock coming out. I donated on the Kickstarter for the Timeshock, but haven't heard about that in a while. I know you had Pinball FX2 running on your machine at ComicCon, so I figured you might have a time frame.

2 weeks later
    #121 10 years ago
    Quoted from guyincognito:

2) How close do these virtual pins match the physical pins?

Long answer short. The games in Visual Pin tables are 2D rendered to look 3D. If you are hoping for super close physics, then this will disappoint. They are working on making Visual Pinball truly 3D: http://www.unit3dpinball.net/

They use pinmame to emulate the software, so that is pretty spot on. Making everything work in unison so you have the ultimate pinball experience is not there yet, but they are fun to play. I like playing Zen and VP on my arcade cabinet. I just take it for what it is; a fun video game of pinball.

The closest to blending video pinball to the real thing will probably be the game be Timeshock! which is a recreation of an old table. It is being built with them thinking about how it will play in cabinets. Here is a sample picture.

timeshock.jpgtimeshock.jpg

#123 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

And what the hell is Time Shock? Looking at it, I thought it looks like some euro game I've never heard of. I'm intrigued.

It was an older pc game that the creators, Barnstorm, are recreating using today's computers. They did a kickstarter and I believe from one of their posts they have a cab to test it in, so it should be awesome. The lighting, textures, and physics from reports they send out to Kickstarter backers really take things to the next level. Just look at the reflections on the playfield and side panels. Looks like it will be out before summer with other tables in the works.

Besides Timeshock, Virtual pins are getting better and better with Zen pinball, Farsight's Pinball HD which is getting cab support, and Unit3d new VP engine.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimjim66.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-buy-a-virtual-pin?tu=jimjim66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.