Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pinfidel
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-355.jpg
    image-213.jpg
    DSCN1014.jpg
    DSCN1013.jpg
    DSCN1017.jpg
    timeshock.jpg
    188041-i.jpg
    photo 1 copy 2.JPG
    mini12.JPG
    pump.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    fb1.JPG
    fb2.JPG
    DSCN0941-448.jpg
    DSCN0941.jpg
    20121209_142353.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Ok, here's the deal...I'm limited on space. I can cram 1 more machine in my house. I was thinking of a FT or a Nascar, but something fun and cool. So, I've been watching the sale threads waiting to pounce. But now I'm thinking, should I get a VP. That way I'd have 250 pins at my disposal to play. Nowhere near as having the real thing of course, but kinda cool just the same.
    So, what do you guys think? Which way would you honestly go? Thanks for your the help and suggestions.
    I was trying to add a poll, but it doesn't show me where to add it. I'll add it later and edit this if I can figure it out.

Absolutely. It was my most expensive pin purchase and worth every penny.

If you know what your doing, you can tweek games so they play pretty much like the real thing. I have no flipper delay or anything with mine. Tables I tweek out, feel very original.

#22 10 years ago

Ultrapin is a piece of shit. Don't buy one. It will skew your perception of Virtual pins.

A real virtual pin playing visual pinball is the shit. High end processors, and graphics cards.

#39 10 years ago

If you dont' want to build it. virtuapin.org is where mine came from. I have the widebody extreme and love it.

#41 10 years ago

He now uses real LED DMD's. Mine has the monitor style, and you can't tell the difference really. Personally I prefer the small monitor system, so when I play alphanumeric games, they look like real alpha numeric displays.

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

A potential selling point for me would be having a smaller machine that I could fit in a space that won't accommodate a full-sized pin. Does anyone have experience with one of the compact models? If (and I know that's a big "if") all else is the same, a smaller table might just be the thing that tips the balance the other way.

I know people that bought the smaller ones, and they are exactly like the large ones, just smaller. Take up less space than a SMBMW, and they are great for putting on a table or something. Same exact experience.

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

Thanks, Neo. I am going to get the dimensions for this thing and give it a serious look.

I've played them and they are about 2 ' X 4'

1 week later
    #82 10 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

Play one first. One word. LAG.

Only if you own a shitty one or don't know what the hell your doing and can't tweak worth a shit.

I don't have any lag...not one millisecond of lag. not even on monopoly which is a resource hog.

#91 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I think for the poll to be useful- you'd almost have to phrase it:
    "For those that have ACTUALLY PLAYED a virtual cabinet, would you recommend one"
    Otherwise you get a lot of misinformation from people who've simple not actually played one and/or extrapolating their experience playing on their (possibly misconfigured) desktop PC to what they "think" a cabinet would be like....

I would even add the clause (if you only played ultrapin, you do not count and have not experienced a real virtual pin)

Ultrapin is a first attempt "Toy" that sucked horribly. If that is the info your going by, you might as well say, you played a Zizzle and now you know all about how pinball machines feel.

#93 10 years ago

The Pin exists in the real world? I thought that was just a joke flyer.

#99 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Neo - what kind of PC specs are you running? I'm wondering if my current setup would be sufficient to run my mini cab once I finally get it together..

You know, I couldn't tell you.

This is where I got mine and what it is.

http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=33

has all the specs for everything I have.

#103 10 years ago

I played both side by side. I just took the widebody for widebody games. I think the ratios are better, but either are just fine.

#105 10 years ago

no. they look fine, jsut like normal bodies look fine on the widebody machine. No letterbox, just skewed. slightly, but it's so slight you don't notice.

#118 10 years ago

I love the plunger, really adds to the feel of a machine. Especially when playing EM tables.

#120 10 years ago

they arn't licensed tables. They are created by an open source community. Nobody really cares they are made. Sterns only requirement is that they don't make games from the current boardset they are on. Since they are on the SAM boardset. You cannot use the table roms to make machines for this era. Have to wait until the boardset is retired before using the game rooms to virtually create tables.

#122 10 years ago

Visual pinball's physics are pretty close. If you know how to setup your tables and tweek them, it can be damn close to the real thing.

Future pinballs physics are terrible. There is a big difference between VP and FP.

And what the hell is Time Shock? Looking at it, I thought it looks like some euro game I've never heard of. I'm intrigued.

#125 10 years ago

From my experience with those prefabricated VP manufacturers, is that you can't tweek anything. And most of the time their settings are a little off, but you can't do anything about it. Least with the free downloads, you can change every little detail so it plays like the real thing.

#152 10 years ago
    Quoted from bub2010:

Speaking of which.. have you played tables that you like better in the VP world than real life? I have a real Avatar machine... and honestly once they tweak the flipper response on it I may like it better than the real deal. The sound and video on it are already pretty awesome plus it has the color extra DMD with video clips is really cool. I know some tables go for literal exact duplication and some do not. Avatar is a good example of one that used really good music choices... better than in the real Pin IMO.

I like playing WCS better on VP because most of the ones in real life play like shit and you can't make it up any of the ramps. BSD is nice in VP format as well.

1 month later
    #161 9 years ago

I have lots of EM's in mine and they play excellent. The thing is with VP, if you don't like the way something feels or plays, ....change it until it feels like the real thing. Tweeking is the key to having nice playing tables. My sinbad, Centigrade 37, and bow and arrow play fantastic.

#165 9 years ago
    Quoted from Roo:

No, I'm American - but I've had the nickname since I was a little kid because my real name is Andrew.
    I did try one of the more recent versions of FP. The ball momentum seemed improved; it would actually accelerate as it fell down the table and move through the inlanes reasonably quickly. But the angles on shots from the flippers still seemed way off. It's like flipping with the ball 70% of the way down the flipper sends it at the same angle as 90%, but at 95% it's vastly different. I remember this was something that came up in the development thread for the new Unit3d Pinball title, too. They had a script they used to test that would drop balls down the inlane and have it flip automatically at different points with the intent of hitting a semi-circle of targets. They were able to hit every one, which was something they said they were never able to do in FP with the same script.
    It was also literally impossible to do a post/slingshot pass when I tried it. It was like the base of the flipper somehow didn't have enough power when the ball was cradled. Maybe different versions are different, maybe some stuff varies by table, I don't know. More power to you if it works for you and is fun. That's one of the nice things about the commercial software though -- guaranteed consistent experience. It's not like I'm rooting against FP; the graphics are nice and like I said there are some cool tables.

Yeah, in VP there is a separate tilt threshold setting or something that controls how easy it is to get tilt warnings.
    You should be able to see what I mean about the Nanotech if you go in to Game Controllers in Windows. You'll see the readout of the kit's "joystick" with a little plus sign wiggling instead of being still and it will occasionally spike to a high value. It's a problem for me because right now I'm using key mapping programs like Xpadder so I can nudge the cab to trigger the key presses for nudging in PBFX2 and TPA. I have to set the theshold fairly high because otherwise it would constantly nudge due to the jittering. But the occasional spikes still cause full strength nudges randomly at times, which is really annoying. I'm hoping with the VirtuaPin kit I can map the joystick directly to the right analog stick of an emulated Xbox 360 controller and have true analog nudging. Even if that doesn't work for some reason, I should at least be rid of the random nudges.
    Also, regarding calibration - it sucked having to unscrew my Nanotech board so I could tilt and calibrate it. You must have a mini-cab because there was no way to tilt my 250 lb pincab to get an accurate calibration. Maybe if I had about 6 guys to help! I've even seen help threads discussing the art of getting a good calibration from these things. So in my book the auto-calibration will be a nice feature.
    Sorry for going so far off topic; just trying to be clear on what I meant. Although this kind of brings up a point. If you want a virtual cab and are interesting in games like TPA or PBFX2 but aren't that computer savvy, it might be worth waiting to see what kind of full cabinet support they add for things like controls if you don't fancy messing around with keyboard and controller emulators. It should get easier and better-supported as time goes on.

I thought your nickname was pooka?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-buy-a-virtual-pin?tu=captainneo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.