Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pinfidel
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should I buy a Virtual Pin?”

• Yes. Virtual pins are cool. 24 votes
      50%
    • No. Go with the real thing. 24 votes
      50%

(48 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pin line up.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Ok, here's the deal...I'm limited on space. I can cram 1 more machine in my house. I was thinking of a FT or a Nascar, but something fun and cool. So, I've been watching the sale threads waiting to pounce. But now I'm thinking, should I get a VP. That way I'd have 250 pins at my disposal to play. Nowhere near as having the real thing of course, but kinda cool just the same.

So, what do you guys think? Which way would you honestly go? Thanks for your the help and suggestions.

#2 10 years ago

I vote yes.

With limited space get as much in one spot as you can.

LTG : )™

#3 10 years ago

Just added a poll. Thanks for voting.

#4 10 years ago

Do you like virtual pinball? I think they are fun for what they are. Would be fun to play some games I'll never own. And learn rules for games I've never played. But the cost is prohibitive to me.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I vote yes.

Agreed. Good idea for limited space.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

Do you like virtual pinball? I think they are fun for what they are. Would be fun to play some games I'll never own. And learn rules for games I've never played. But the cost is prohibitive to me.

I have never played one. So I don't know how much I'd like it. That's why I'm hoping over the next several days to get some great feedback from people.

They do look cool to me and I would only get a wide body one with the shaker in it to give it a little more realism.

They are very expensive though.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Have you played one LTD? What did you take from it when you played it? How'd it feel and flow? Thanks.

#8 10 years ago

Do they have the "Pinball Arcade" games available to make a virtual machine with to utilize all 3 screens? Those games IMO are the closest to real pinball.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

Good idea for limited space.

That's what I'm thinking. It obviously isn't the same as the real thing, but it would be cool to have 1 machine that plays like 250 machines, and gives you the feeling that you're playing a real one.

Maybe it's too gimmike and a bad idea. IDK, thus the poll.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Do they have the "Pinball Arcade" games available to make a virtual machine with to utilize all 3 screens? Those games IMO are the closest to real pinball.

All I know about virtual pinball is from the videos I have watched on YT.

#11 10 years ago

I am thinking about getting one myself. I will be watching this post to see what others have to say.

#12 10 years ago

I have very limited funds and very limited space so I am currently building one from an old wide body cab. it is taking mje a long time to gather all the pieses but i am very close now. I will be starting my build soon. I have played ones from all the people helping me and it is not the real thing but can still be real fun.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

I am thinking about getting one myself. I will be watching this post to see what others have to say.

That's great Jim. I was hoping this thread would help others out as well. So many awesome people with incredible amounts of pin knowledge here. I know they'll give us awesome advice.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Makers_Mark:

I have very limited funds and very limited space so I am currently building one from an old wide body cab. it is taking mje a long time to gather all the pieses but i am very close now. I will be starting my build soon. I have played ones from all the people helping me and it is not the real thing but can still be real fun.

Cool Mark. GL with the build. I'm sure it'll come out awesome.

#15 10 years ago

You need to try one for yourself. That is all I have to say.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

You need to try one for yourself. That is all I have to say.

Yeah I hear ya. That would be the best thing to do, but there's nowhere to try one out. No one has one near me. So I'm going to rely on this thread.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Yeah I hear ya. That would be the best thing to do, but there's nowhere to try one out. No one has one near me. So I'm going to rely on this thread.

I know someone 30 minutes away from you who has one.

#18 10 years ago

REALLY!? Man, I'd love to check it out. If he's interested in a TFLE at all, I could return the favor and he could come check out mine.

Could you talk to him for me?

Thanks bro!

#19 10 years ago

Yes!! They are awesome ! I have had mine for a couple of yrs! With feedback and dialing it in the way u like your tables. Its really a big deal!

#20 10 years ago

Try before u buy is best advice!
    One reason is they are very custom, therefore, the experience will be varying.
    Second reason, some people cant seem to get over the flat view, or just the overall it's not real feeling
    I love mine, and play it about 5 times more than my other games.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

REALLY!? Man, I'd love to check it out. If he's interested in a TFLE at all, I could return the favor and he could come check out mine.
    Could you talk to him for me?
    Thanks bro!

He is a member here on pinside. Goes by videorob. Send him a PM.

#22 10 years ago

Im sittin in a motel in the middle of butt**** nowhere right now.
    I have Pinball Arcade on my iPad with all my favorite games that they offer on it so far, and I CAN'T STAND that it is Not the real thing. Sure I got the highest score Ive ever seen on WH2O, and sure I developed a stratedgy for MM, but I know myself that a big ass version of this would NEVER replace the feel sound and excitement of a real machine.

One of the things that I think I love about pinball the most is looking into that glass, into a little world of toys, streets, flashy things and bumpers.

#23 10 years ago

Man, it's just not the same. I understand the space dilemma, but the physicality of a steel ball crashing into stuff just has a completely different tactile feel to it than a flat screen monitor.

#24 10 years ago

I went to Allentown last year all charged up to buy one. I tried the three or four on display and just couldn't get over the (admittedly minor) flipper delay, in particular. I am sure these are getting better and better, and at some point I will probably get one, but I am just not sure we are there yet. Bottom line: you definitely need to try before you buy. Theoretically, it's a great idea, but only you can tell if you are satisfied with the reality.

#25 10 years ago

I have a lot of fun with mine and full force feedback is cool and
    Makes it a bit more realistic.but the best reason to own one is
    Pinball fx

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Try before u buy is best advice!
    One reason is they are very custom, therefore, the experience will be varying.
    Second reason, some people cant seem to get over the flat view, or just the overall it's not real feeling
    I love mine, and play it about 5 times more than my other games.

Wow! Cool Bart. Thanks for the feedback.

That's how I felt watching the YT vids. That flat feeling just doesn't pull you in. Know what I mean? I think they could improve with a 3D TV. At least that would give it some depth perception.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

He is a member here on pinside. Goes by videorob. Send him a PM.

I'll have to look him up. Feel weird though. Maybe he'll catch this thread and make the offer.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:

One of the things that I think I love about pinball the most is looking into that glass, into a little world of toys, streets, flashy things and bumpers.

Yeah, there's nothing like the real thing for sure. Believe me, if room wasn't an issue, I'd have 10-12 machines. But where I have only space enough for 1 more, do I buy a Virtual, and at least give myself the flexibility of playing tons of games I'd never be able to afford and play. Know what I mean?

Believe me, I'm very torn. I want the real McCoy for sure.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from seshpilot:

Man, it's just not the same. I understand the space dilemma, but the physicality of a steel ball crashing into stuff just has a completely different tactile feel to it than a flat screen monitor.

I should've added your quote to my response above.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

Bottom line: you definitely need to try before you buy. Theoretically, it's a great idea, but only you can tell if you are satisfied with the reality.

Yeah, I was really ready to make a decision off of this thread, but I really should someway, somehow find a way to get some play on one of them. $5K is a lot to spend and then not like it. Thank you all for your responses, ideas and votes. Much appreciated.

#31 10 years ago

I find I lose too much of the tactile input and the physics of the game. I feel more like a spectator than a participant. Try before you buy in this case.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from rockrand:

I have a lot of fun with mine and full force feedback is cool and
    Makes it a bit more realistic.but the best reason to own one is
    Pinball fx

Yeah, I would definitely get the shaker motor on one. It's the only way to go if you're going to get into one of these IMO.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

I find I lose too much of the tactile input and the physics of the game. I feel more like a spectator than a participant. Try before you buy in this case.

I hear what you're saying. I agree on trying first as well. Thanks.

#34 10 years ago

Little off subject but Pinfidel do you know how to quote more than one person's post in a single reply post?

#35 10 years ago

Yes, but I read each persons post and then respond individually to it. I appreciate each person and feel that they deserve an individual response back, the way they responded to me. That's all, but that's just me and how I am. Just respecting everyone for who they are and their individual opinion. I truly am grateful for them.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Yes, but I read each persons post and then respond individually to it. I appreciate each person and feel that they deserve an individual response back, the way they responded to me. That's all, but that's just me and how I am. Just respecting everyone for who they are and their individual opinion. I truly am grateful for them.

OK - just seemed to me that things were getting Fanatical - but I guess that's why their called Forum Fanatics.

#37 10 years ago

Pinfidel I am biast as I am the owner of VPcabs.com so take this for what it is worth.

First off I do suggest that you play one in person. We will have some at the upcoming Ohio show if you are planning on going. The pinball crowd is the most critical of virtual pinball so I'm glad to see that the poll is close to 50/50. It does just keep getting better and better every year.

Secondly Pinball FX2 is by far the best reason to own a virtual machine. While the remake of the classics are very cool, they do not compare to the WOW factor of the PFX2 platform. It really is the reason why my business has taken off. PFX2 is bringing the younger crowd back into pinball in a entirely new way. The video effects are amazing.

I have over a dozen "real" pinball machines in my shop. We play traditional pinball and virtual pinball every day( it's a rough life). The virtual pin affords me to play some of the classics that I'm not willing to spend the $$ on. I tell all of my customers that it in no way is a replacement for traditional mechanical pinball, but it sure is awesome to be able to play any game I want and it never breaks down.

If there is anything I can help you with please feel free to contact me any time.

#38 10 years ago

Hey Derek,

Glad you got my PM. You are probably less than 30 minutes away and like I said...When this crap weather is done and I get a chance to clean up my gameroom, you are more than welcome to stop by and check out the v-pin or any of my other real pins, vids, jukebox, slot, claw machine etc....

If I did this right, the pic attached shows my v-pin on the right

pin line up.jpgpin line up.jpg

#39 10 years ago

Impressive line-up Rob. Sahweet game room! I'll be looking forward to meeting you and checking out the VP. Looks beautiful! As I said, you're more than welcome to shoot up my way as well. I only have 2 pins, but at least they're 2 that you don't happen to have. I just wish I had more room. If you come over, you'll see how cramped I am now. Ughhh.

Thanks again bro and hit me up anytime.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-buy-a-virtual-pin-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.