(Topic ID: 178887)

Should I buy a shaker motor for Ghostbusters?

By PinMagnet

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Sunny1989
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

538310008 (resized).jpg
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Do you guys think it's worth the money to buy a shaker motor for Ghostbusters? I know AC/DC and others like it benefit more from a shaker. I've never had a shaker, and never played a pin with one in it. Thank you.

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMagnet:

Do you guys think it's worth the money to buy a shaker motor for Ghostbusters?

Absolutely!!!

I can't even imagine the start of Storage Facility Multiball without it.

#3 7 years ago

I am in the same boat Pinmagnet, thanks for asking this question. Just picked up mine and was wondering if it was worth it.

#5 7 years ago

You should drop every cent you have on this hobby. No need to ask.

#6 7 years ago

Yes it's well worth the money

#7 7 years ago

It makes a significant difference. Do it.

#8 7 years ago

No

#10 7 years ago

Yes. I can't imagine storage facility without it either.

#11 7 years ago

The shaker is really well integrated into this game. Game is great without one, but adding one makes a huge improvement and adds something you didn't even realize you were missing.

#12 7 years ago

I have a red tremor from coin Taker and it's not adjustable. ...I have it set to minimal and even ser it to off and it operates at max. Tech support at stern is aware if this and once it becomes adjustable it will be great buy at maximum it's too much

#13 7 years ago

538310008 (resized).jpg538310008 (resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

Yes..... get the one from pinball life. Shakes nice without rattle

#15 7 years ago

Yes - I'd put one in my car too!

#16 7 years ago

Yes, absolutely, very well integrated into gameplay. I have the Stern OEM shaker.

#18 7 years ago

Indeed. It's great on GB.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMagnet:

Do you guys think it's worth the money to buy a shaker motor for Ghostbusters? I know AC/DC and others like it benefit more from a shaker. I've never had a shaker, and never played a pin with one in it. Thank you.

Yes, but DO NOT BUY A RED TREMOR. Get the stern one or the one from Pinball life. Much more pleasant shaking. Red Tremors are like a jackhammer, not enjoyable.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I have a red tremor from coin Taker and it's not adjustable. ...I have it set to minimal and even ser it to off and it operates at max. Tech support at stern is aware if this and once it becomes adjustable it will be great buy at maximum it's too much

You actually CAN adjust the amount of shaking to make it less by loosening the weight at the end and rotating it so it's more or less offset from the other side. However, even with the "lightest" adjustment, Red Tremors are too much like a jackhammer, IMO, and I don't recommend them. Get a Stern or Pinball Life one. Much nicer.

#21 7 years ago

Just installed my shaker from Pinball Life in my GB Pro and I love it! I definitely recommend it!

#22 7 years ago

Absolutely yes, I have one in my premium and it's a must.

#23 7 years ago

The LE's come with it so...

#24 7 years ago

yes

#25 7 years ago

Yes yes yes

#26 7 years ago

I use Stern and pinball life on my Spike games. On Sam I also use Red Tremors but with adjustment PCB pot. The RT just have toooo much RPM and cause rattle without cutting them back

#27 7 years ago

#28 7 years ago

I'd like to install one, but I'm on the fence as to whether I buy the "official" Stern shaker or the Pinball Life shaker. What's the difference between the two besides the price?

#29 7 years ago

Nothing

#30 7 years ago

got one from terry at pinball life... its great.. cant compare it to others.. or not having one.. A SHAKER MOTOR is a feature (IN MY OPINION) that should be standard on every modern game! its just a must option at this point.

agreed storage facility multiball is pretty cool when it fires

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

I'd like to install one, but I'm on the fence as to whether I buy the "official" Stern shaker or the Pinball Life shaker. What's the difference between the two besides the price?

I have both kinds in my games, and I find them to be extremely similar. The PL one in my MET squeaks a bit, but you can only hear it when the music is very low. I can't say whether this is common with the ones from PL or not. I haven't noticed the squeak on any of my other games with PL shakers.

#32 7 years ago

I have the standard shaker offered by CoinTaker(not the Red Tremor)- works great, no complaints.

#33 7 years ago

I also have the standard coin taker shaker. GB deserves the shaker motor and uses it well!

#34 7 years ago

100% agree with those saying it's well integrated and you should get one.

#35 7 years ago

Every game that can eat a shaker motor into its code should have one....the power of shake! I have a red tremor in my MET and love it...rattle on kids.

#36 7 years ago

Here is what I would say (full discloser, I only have one pin my first). After playing a JP with a shaker in it at a friends house, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. However, he has multiple pins that vary in theme and age including some very current games. After thinking about it, if I only had one pin that I played quite often I might get tired of / annoyed by the shaker. However, if I had more than one game or had a way to disable it if I wanted (e.g. I needed to control noise/vibration playing the rest of the family is in bed) then I would think I would love a game with a well-integrated shaker.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes, but DO NOT BUY A RED TREMOR. Get the stern one or the one from Pinball life. Much more pleasant shaking. Red Tremors are like a jackhammer, not enjoyable.

Just talked to Chaz at Stern and he's talking to Dwight to see if we can adjust the settings so the Red tremor or any shaker isn't so crazy. do you know if we can adjust the red tremor if it will be okay? if not, I'm going to send it back and get a one from Coin Taker that shakes less..

#38 7 years ago

The red tremor spins and a much higher RPM. This has been described before. It give more rattle and vibration. Slower speed has more shake

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Just talked to Chaz at Stern and he's talking to Dwight to see if we can adjust the settings so the Red tremor or any shaker isn't so crazy. do you know if we can adjust the red tremor if it will be okay? if not, I'm going to send it back and get a one from Coin Taker that shakes less..

You can adjust the Red Tremor by loosening the weight on the end and adjusting the angle of the weight relative to the other side to make it shake less. However, even after adjusting extensively I still think Red Tremors suck and are too much like a jackhammer than a pleasing shake. You'll be much better off with a Stern one or the one Pinball Life sells. Both have a pleasing rumble compared to the abuse of a RT.

#40 7 years ago

What would you do???????

I have a Red Tremor for my GB premium. Way too much vibration as I mentioned before and really don't want to open and mess with the weights. 2 options I have.
1 - I can send back and get the Standard from Coin Taker.....Does anyone have a Standard Coin taker and what's your thoughts?
2 - Sell or trade for a Pinball Life Shaker, which I heard is really nice.
Coin Taker or Pinball Life Shaker......Shoot me your thoughts....Thanks Everyone!

1 week later
#41 7 years ago

Are the PBL shakers (Rev C) still susceptible (like earlier Rev A/B) to issues (like blowing the node board) that will void the Stern warranty?

#42 7 years ago

1000%

#43 7 years ago

1000% still having issues?
1000% will void warranty?

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

Are the PBL shakers (Rev C) still susceptible (like earlier Rev A/B) to issues (like blowing the node board) that will void the Stern warranty?

I haven't heard of any issues after that initial batch.

#45 7 years ago

I just installed one in my GoT LE a couple days ago, so I sure hope they fixed that problem.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I just installed one in my GoT LE a couple days ago, so I sure hope they fixed that problem.

Terry's a good guy. He's not going to knowingly sell a shaker that will blow up machines. The problem happened when Spike just came out, and he fixed it quickly. Like I said, I've heard of no problems since then.

#47 7 years ago

I recently got one for mine and I love the Storage Facility start, but I actually love the shake every time I hit slimmer. Adds a new dimension to the game.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from mcfly:

I recently got one for mine and I love the Storage Facility start, but I actually love the shake every time I hit slimmer. Adds a new dimension to the game.

If you haven't already done so, hook that bad boy up to an external sub. Between the shaker and the crazy bass, the Storage Facility start is fricken bonkers!!!

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

1000% still having issues?
1000% will void warranty?

I had one on mine since it was purchased with no issues .

I actually could not imagine the game without it .

As far as a warranty I have no idea . I had a pro model and was not worried about that .

#50 7 years ago

Pinball life shaker, since day 1, July 22 in pro. No issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

15,699 (OBO)
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-buy-a-shaker-motor-for-ghostbusters?hl=mikedenton49 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.