Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by craigj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“People currently in the market with a budget to buy only one NIB pin... will it be a Hobbit?”

• Yes - I will buy a Hobbit 54 votes
    34%
  • No - I will not buy a Hobbit, but maybe later 48 votes
    30%
  • No - I will not ever buy a Hobbit 59 votes
    37%

(161 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images_(resized).jpg
There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

I thought it would be cool to start a new thread to talk about buying a Hobbit Pin. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this pin and if its worth buying. I know there are a lot of Hobbit threads already, I was hoping to really focus this one more on whether this pin is worth buying or not. I am predicting they will start shipping by this Friday (2/26/16) or the next Friday after that. I think with the massive price tag on NIB pins now it is worth discussing this more in depth. I have been going back and forth for many months now on whether to pre-order this one. I like the theme, the gameplay looks "ok" and the build quality looks to be off the charts! This game looks like a work of art more than anything, I am just concerned whether the gameplay looks too generic. Lack of ramps is bothering me, and the overall flow. Lets keep this discussion nice if possible!

#2 8 years ago

Have you played it?

#3 8 years ago

Yes! Buy it now! Don't resist! This may be your only chance!

#4 8 years ago

Just make sure you upgrade to the reinforced Ramps. I think you'll soon be able to buy them direct from Jersey joe pinball.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes! Buy it now! Don't resist! This may be your only chance!

I agree. Buy immediately, and consider an extra just to keep in box.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Have you played it?

This. Play it if you can, and then decide if it's the right game for you.

I've played it at several shows the last year and a half, before the tweaking to make it better since Expo 2014. I thought the game to be a lot of fun. Reminded me a lot of a Mark Ritchie pin.

LTG : )™

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

I thought it would be cool to start a new thread to talk about buying a Hobbit Pin. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this pin and if its worth buying. I know there are a lot of Hobbit threads already, I was hoping to really focus this one more on whether this pin is worth buying or not. I am predicting they will start shipping by this Friday (2/26/16) or the next Friday after that. I think with the massive price tag on NIB pins now it is worth discussing this more in depth. I have been going back and forth for many months now on whether to pre-order this one. I like the theme, the gameplay looks "ok" and the build quality looks to be off the charts! This game looks like a work of art more than anything, I am just concerned whether the gameplay looks too generic. Lack of ramps is bothering me, and the overall flow. Lets keep this discussion nice if possible!

If your prediction hold true- you'll likely be able to play one in a few weeks.... check back in after that.

[Comment removed by moderator]

#8 8 years ago

I played it in Asbury Park today and thought it was a lot of fun.

The flippers were reasonably strong, flow was solid and ball speed was good (not floaty).

I am not sure if the build quality is better than the competition, but the quality of the materials seems to be much better than anyone else.

In my opinion, at 8K, you have to love the theme.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Reminded me a lot of a Mark Ritchie pin.

Who designed the greatest pin ever assembled - IJ. If TH is anything close to IJ, I will be very happy!

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

I will be very happy!

I think you'll be very happy.

LTG : )

#12 8 years ago

I believe you're not alone, lack of ramps is a big thing IMO. Might not be for some and it does have 2 ramps but themselves ramps are way up the PF and look to be able to make the shots from either flipper. It's a wide body so I'm disappointed to the lack of variation to the PF other than a lot of drop targets and the pop up trolls.

I agree it looks great especially the large LCD and the small book LCD is another great feature. I'm just not sure that IMO it's going to be a great playing pin. Meaning satisfying shots.

I've played it last year at Allentown but only two games set on 2-ball and one time I tilted so in all I'd call it 3-balls played. So I can't really judge it's gameplay.

I think it looks fantastic but for the price of $9000 for the Smaug (which is the one I'd want). FWIW, I bought tspp HUO and Met pro like new with full chrome armor and shaker combined for $9000.

I'm not dissing TH just saying if/when I drop $9000 for one pin I'm darn sure going to play it a lot first.

I also will go on record saying I don't like the upper flipper, there is nothing it's needed for, what I mean it's not necessary every shot can be hit by the two main flippers. It's almost as if there was something like a side ramp that got taken away and they left the flipper.

Just to point out, TSPP is a standard body pin with 5 flipper and 4 ramps.

Please don't go by recommendation or lack of, I'm just pointing out what I feel. I've paid a lot for a pin STLE ($7700) yet I don't feel like it's worth $3000 more than I paid for IMVE, Met pro, Tron pro. True I did need more dress ups for Tron in particular.

I understand STLE is a nice looking pin with great lights, laser beam, etched armor and such but I'm not saying it's that any better than Met pro (with chrome armor and shaker).

#13 8 years ago

I've put on around 50-75 games on it.

Sound A+
Art A+
LCD A+
Gameplay C

Is it worth $8,000.....you better be a huge Hobbit fan.

When I played it in August at the open house, I thought it would be a game I would own.
After putting some time on it at Silverball (I just missed Grand Champ by 15,000 points the other night), it's a game I wouldn't own at the current price point.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I played it in Asbury Park today and thought it was a lot of fun.
The flippers were reasonably strong, flow was solid and ball speed was good (not floaty).
I am not sure if the build quality is better than the competition, but the quality of the materials seems to be much better than anyone else.
In my opinion, at 8K, you have to love the theme.

They just recently upped the flipper power from 20 to 23. Makes a huge difference in being able to hit the shots.

#16 8 years ago

I'm withholding judgment. I think it looks great for sure, but remember it'll be for sale for 2+ years from now.

I'm not sure what's the urgancy to buy something now, it's going to be for sale, you can play it a lot and judge yourself. I suspect the dealers are putting out feelers with so-called sale price but its not going anywhere and might be better to buy one of the later runs in case the early adopters discover something is not great. Plus I can't help but be curious of Alien, GB, and the next JJP pin. I'd keep my options open.

#17 8 years ago

As they start to come out, if you can find one at a show or a locale - spend some time with it and see if you find yourself walking away smiling or not. I've played one of the pre-production games at a few different places around me / and traveling and my takeaways, which were personal opinions, were this:

-It seemed to be very well built. (As usual for JJP) As if Williams were still making games.
-I actually liked the gameplay alot more than I expected to. Normally, I like a game with tons of 'stuff' (like WOZ) and to look at the playfield it seems a little barren but as I played it the drop targets, the pop ups, the ramps, the shots and the modes all came together in a fun way (for me). Kinda like AFM. To look at it, not much there. To play it, 'heck yeah, that was fun!'.
-It felt fast
-The Art, sounds, theme and visuals were off-the-charts.
-I walked away smiling and with a little bit of a pin-rush.

I also talked to Jack briefly as well during that show and he wasn't at all what I expected after reading the caricatured stuff that is often posted of him. I walked away from that show and ordered a Hobbit within a month. (As soon as I could find the funds)

In my nominal game-room size which fluctuates from 4-7 games, I think The Hobbit will find a good home here and we won't have a great amount of pressure for The Hobbit (and only the Hobbit) to keep us entertained by itself.

Will it be a title that fits the: "If I can only have one pin, which would it be?"
- I'm not sure yet, I guess only time will tell but I'm leaning no. (Very few games really fit this category for me)
*At this very premature juncture, having only played a dozen or so games, etc. etc.

I think The Hobbit would compliment a collection of other games, not replace it. Our Smaug SE will be a nice compliment to The WOZ in the same room in terms of style, gameplay, etc.

Definitely find one and play it if you can. If it makes you smile, pull the trigger. If not, look for something to provide a different gameplay experience to contrast with your Star Trek. Good luck!

#18 8 years ago

Not unless it's ready to be delivered. Pre-ordering is a crap shoot IMO

images_(resized).jpgimages_(resized).jpg

#19 8 years ago

All good comments so far. Thanks. In regards to "play it"... I wish I could, but I just don't have the opportunity to easily go play any pin I'd like, even after this one is out it would be a lot of work to find one within reasonable driving distance of where I live in small town Wisconsin. Ideally, we'd all play these games before buying, but for guys like me I have to go off of opinions of others and watching a lot of youtube to decide if a pin is for me. This will be my last NIB pin for at least 5 years or more, I can't afford to purchase a NIB every year so I have to make this one count. I was pretty close to pre-ordering this one until the Ghostbusters leak. My decision on the Hobbit is pretty simple, if I don't snag an early pin from one of the distributors that has early games coming it could be a long wait. JJP's snail pace could mean another year of waiting, which I could do I suppose, but I really wanted to buy a pin within the next 1-2 months.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

even after this one is out it would be a lot of work to find one within reasonable driving distance of where I live in small town Wisconsin.

You are maybe 45 minutes from Midwest Gaming Classic, which is coming up. Find out if one will be there.

#21 8 years ago

There's no doubt in my mind it will be a great game, but I simply cannot afford the price. Wish JJP would make "pro" models as well for us lower income folk.

#22 8 years ago

You need to buy one and then complain about the lack of code updates just like all the kiss buyers do.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You are maybe 45 minutes from Midwest Gaming Classic, which is coming up. Find out if one will be there.

Yes, I know. I just was looking into that. Should be in April? I wonder if a Hobbit will be there...

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

Yes, I know. I just was looking into that. Should be in April? I wonder if a Hobbit will be there...

It was there last year (2015) in alpha/beta form, so I don't see why not? The $10K question is will it be the RTM version?

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

All good comments so far. Thanks. In regards to "play it"... I wish I could, but I just don't have the opportunity to easily go play any pin I'd like, even after this one is out it would be a lot of work to find one within reasonable driving distance of where I live in small town Wisconsin. Ideally, we'd all play these games before buying, but for guys like me I have to go off of opinions of others and watching a lot of youtube to decide if a pin is for me. This will be my last NIB pin for at least 5 years or more, I can't afford to purchase a NIB every year so I have to make this one count. I was pretty close to pre-ordering this one until the Ghostbusters leak. My decision on the Hobbit is pretty simple, if I don't snag an early pin from one of the distributors that has early games coming it could be a long wait. JJP's snail pace could mean another year of waiting, which I could do I suppose, but I really wanted to buy a pin within the next 1-2 months.

Who's your favorite game designer?

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

I really wanted to buy a pin within the next 1-2 months.

You are not going to get a Hobbit in the next month or two, so if that's important to you, better pick something else.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

Should be in April?

http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/ April 8th thru 10th.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Just make sure you upgrade to the reinforced Ramps. I think you'll soon be able to buy them direct from Jersey joe pinball.

You seem pretty nasty on all things JJP. What's your deal?

The ramp issue just popped up for the first time after tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of games played at shows and now in the wild. If there is a defect at least it got caught in the purposeful testing phases. Doesn't seem like something a few extra tabs and welds won't fix.

Doesn't seem like a problem worth getting in a fury over.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Who's your favorite game designer?

Well, my Star Trek Pro is a Steve Ritchie pin, so him I guess... We love playing it, I just want to get a few more pins eventually to add some variety. Honestly, I'd cut off my left arm for a Paragon machine. I have been looking relentlessly for 2 to 3 years. I have decided I want one in a condition much above "players quality". I have passed on a couple paragons where the playfield/plastics/cabinet just looked too beat up to me. One popped up 50 minutes from me and within about 12 hours someone from pinside bought it, I've literally felt sick after missing out on that one, it was MINT condition. I grew up for 12 years playing Paragon, parents sold it at some point, now I want one in my house so much!!! I know it doesn't have the wow factor of some of the newer pins, but its an old classic I just need to have. I was hoping maybe I'd get lucky and a nice one would be for sale at Midwest gaming...

#30 8 years ago

NO

Buy 8 nice EM's instead.

Ken

#31 8 years ago

OP,
Put up a poll.
I vote: No, but maybe later.
Thanks for creating the poll.

#32 8 years ago

CraigJ, check your PM. I might have some info that could make you very happy!

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

All good comments so far. Thanks. In regards to "play it"... I wish I could, but I just don't have the opportunity to easily go play any pin I'd like, even after this one is out it would be a lot of work to find one within reasonable driving distance of where I live in small town Wisconsin.

For a $500 item, Id say, take your chances.

But for a $8k-$9k, 350 pound monstrosity of a purchase, I'd find a way to see one. Hell, even if you dropped $100-$200 for a little road trip to play a few games, its a small price to pay vs buying the wrong machine.

#34 8 years ago

Have you thought of Spider-Man VE?

I know Star Trek and Spider-Man have similar layouts, but they don't play the same.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Have you thought of Spider-Man VE?
I know Star Trek and Spider-Man have similar layouts, but they don't play the same.

Spider-Man VE looks kind of cool, but I'm not really into the spider man theme...

#36 8 years ago

There was one at MGC last year . I would think there would be one there this year . Hopefully you'll have a chance to play one there , I would not want to make this decision without playing it first .

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

Spider-Man VE looks kind of cool, but I'm not really into the spider man theme...

I'm not a pin zealot nor a collector. If a theme interests me, I research it just as you are doing. TWD might be something for you to consider. Turned out well for my liking.

Looking at up coming themes - my opinion:
TH - no
RZ - no
GB - no
Alien - yes
Star Wars - no
Jurassic world - yes
Jaws & Resident Evil (wishful thinking) - yes

Makes sense that theme isn't as important for collectors with many games and room but for me, a guy that just wants a pair or 3 pins at most for the down stairs play room, theme is very important - if it's going to find it's way into my house.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

How do you like the flow of Star Trek?

I don't think the Hobbit plays anything like Star Trek.

#39 8 years ago

IMO Borg is the best Tron, IM, Met flip a coin (plus XM that's half my collection).

#40 8 years ago

Good lord there are a ton of "what should I buy?" threads lately.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

There was one at MGC last year . I would think there would be one there this year . Hopefully you'll have a chance to play one there , I would not want to make this decision without playing it first .

That would be awesome, I'd love to play one at MGC.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

How do you like the flow of Star Trek?
I don't think the Hobbit plays anything like Star Trek.

I think that's been the appeal of the Hobbit for me. It seems like it will play completely opposite of my Star Trek Pro. I like variety. If I want to get my heart pumping I'll play Star Trek. If I want more of a slow adventure I'll play the Hobbit.

#43 8 years ago

My ideal pin collection would be to keep my Star Trek Pro, find and buy a nice mint Paragon, a music pin (AC/DC or MET?), Hobbit?, Ghostbusters?

GOT - nah, looks fun but don't want another Ritchie except maybe AC/DC

I'm not interested in any of the other NIB pins from Stern right now except for maybe MET Pro, but I don't care for the artwork. Walking Dead - sure, but the wife won't allow it, she says its ugly.

#44 8 years ago

Seriously I mean it,
Do you like widebodies?

It's 60/40 after that

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from renodakota:

Seriously I mean it,
Do you like widebodies?
It's 60/40 after that

I love widebody pins!

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

I'm not a pin zealot nor a collector. If a theme interests me, I research it just as you are doing. TWD might be something for you to consider. Turned out well for my liking.
Looking at up coming themes - my opinion:
TH - no
RZ - no
GB - no
Alien - yes
Star Wars - no
Jurassic world - yes
Jaws & Resident Evil (wishful thinking) - yes
Makes sense that theme isn't as important for collectors with many games and room but for me, a guy that just wants a pair or 3 pins at most for the down stairs play room, theme is very important - if it's going to find it's way into my house.

Jaws could be sweet, hope that happens. I'm an 80s/early 90s kid, so as a 37 year old adult this theme would kick butt.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Reminded me a lot of a Mark Ritchie pin.
LTG : )™

Really, which ones and in what ways?

#48 8 years ago

With the way code is going especially after WOZ updates I would say you may like the hobbit.

Just mentioning they're two different beasts, especially if your used to sterns new code and fan layouts.

If Hobbit has half the support woz does in a timely manner I'll play the shit out of it

I personally hate widebodies but the code on Woz has changed my tune.
I Play it constantly and it's rad.

#49 8 years ago

No

Too expensive. Not currently available for purchase.

Wait and play it. Someone mentioned it earlier, ramps. The ramps haven't covinces me yet. I'm really looking forward to TPF and playing it. If it's the same old 2 ball single game with a giant line, I'm not waiting to play it.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

Honestly, I'd cut off my left arm for a Paragon machine

It would be illogical to cut off your left arm, rendering you unable to actually play the game you obtained in the process.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-buy-a-hobbit-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.