(Topic ID: 280188)

Should I be wary of sellers that won’t let you discuss their ad?

By SCJoe

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Doctor6
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B5AFFE13-4B26-49C4-A024-9188C4BAED46 (resized).jpeg
    Invoice-Ken AXM.pdf (PDF preview)
    huh2 (resized).JPG
    huh3 (resized).JPG
    huh (resized).JPG
    axm (resized).PNG
    #1 3 years ago

I noticed that some sellers allow discussion, and some do not. I’ve also noticed that some sellers start off allowing discussion, the cancel and realist their ad without allowing discussion. Should this be a red flag?

#4 3 years ago

Whether the seller has a discussion thread is irrelevant to me.

Privately they should be as communicative as it takes to make a deal. Poor communication in private IS a red flag. Read the thread on how not to get ripped off started by vid1900

#5 3 years ago

Some just don't want drama or price police.

I would never have an ad without discussion, the bumps is a great reason to have it on. I'm also not a dick and don't price things for 1k or more over market value

But I've gotten games from either.

#6 3 years ago

Nope. Just purchased a machine from out of state after a friend inspected it. Communication with the seller was great - pm's, phone calls and additional pictures. Don't really care about the "GLWTS", "Monday bump", "I wish this was closer", or the community chiming in on their version of the value/price when they're not in the market for the particular pin.

#7 3 years ago

I've always allowed discussion of my ads. Heck, the whole purpose is to get exposure. And like timtim said, don't price your merchandise unreasonably..

1 week later
    #8 3 years ago

Say, speaking of being wary, has anyone ever had any experience with "AXM Pinball Machines" .. https://axmpinballmachines.com/

They have a machine that I am looking for, and are very responsive on the email, but their website looks a bit junky and I can't find much about them on the web...

Any comments?

#9 3 years ago

Hi I've been in the process of setting up to buy a new Stern machine from them over the last 2 weeks and - I've been dealing with them via email and here's what's happened so far - I've only been in contact with the so called sales Rep - Marylyne Muandze and she has given me an invoice to pay on - her payee bank address is in Washington (but the company is supposed to be based in Taiwan?) and will only except bank transfer, I told them yesterday I'd like to use PayPal as I'm not sure of the bank thing, then tonight I get a call from a man in Florida (I'm in Thailand) to ask me why I can't make the Bank transfer and they can't except PayPal..Hmmm i'm beginning to have some doubts now. Also, on their website they say that there is A PINSIDE RATING OF 100%! So, is this true? I can't find anyone who has purchased a machine off them on the web, I can't find any ratings, I'm at the crossroads now and am doubting going any further with this unless I can find some positive proof of their legitimacy - and proof of their selling machines which they boast is in the the hundreds? to the continental USA and world-wide? I'll decide tomorrow but I think there is too many alarm bells going off - too good to be true? hmmm.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZappaMan:

Hi I've been in the process of setting up to buy a new Stern machine from them over the last 2 weeks and - I've been dealing with them via email and here's what's happened so far - I've only been in contact with the so called sales Rep - Marylyne Muandze and she has given me an invoice to pay on - her payee bank address is in Washington (but the company is supposed to be based in Taiwan?) and will only except bank transfer, I told them yesterday I'd like to use PayPal as I'm not sure of the bank thing, then tonight I get a call from a man in Florida (I'm in Thailand) to ask me why I can't make the Bank transfer and they can't except PayPal..Hmmm i'm beginning to have some doubts now. Also, on their website they say that there is A PINSIDE RATING OF 100%! So, is this true? I can't find anyone who has purchased a machine off them on the web, I can't find any ratings, I'm at the crossroads now and am doubting going any further with this unless I can find some positive proof of their legitimacy - and proof of their selling machines which they boast is in the the hundreds? to the continental USA and world-wide? I'll decide tomorrow but I think there is too many alarm bells going off - too good to be true? hmmm.

If you want to buy a new Stern I would suggest buying from an authorized stern dealer like us for example. If you call Stern they will vouch for us as a company, or any authorized Stern dealer listed on their website. This will ensure you get what you ordered, as well as the full factory warranty. I do not believe Stern has any dealers selling in the US located in Taiwan. Everything about the above story sounds fishy. I would encourage you to RUN!

Greg
    Pinballpro.com

#11 3 years ago

AMX pinball machines, probably merits a separate threat, discussing their legitimacy. I will not start it because I have no dealings, and venture to say that I never will, but I have read enough here to call for it.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from northernarrow:

anyone ever had any experience with "AXM Pinball Mac

Stern has a search page for international distributors at https://sternpinball.com/find-international-distributor/
    The only one in Taiwan is http://www.tw-sec.com/index.php/

#13 3 years ago

I don't know much about this AXM company, but they sure have a hell of deal on NIB Elvira HOH's!!!

axm (resized).PNGaxm (resized).PNG
    #14 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZappaMan:

she has given me an invoice to pay on - her payee bank address is in Washington (but the company is supposed to be based in Taiwan?) and will only except bank transfer, I told them yesterday I'd like to use PayPal as I'm not sure of the bank thing, then tonight I get a call from a man in Florida (I'm in Thailand) to ask me why I can't make the Bank transfer and they can't except PayPal.

Reeks of SCAM!!

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Reeks of SCAM!!

I agree...especially their "high end restoration" of Addams Family for $18K.

If their work was worthy of that price, I suspect that we'd have heard of them already.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from KrustyBurger:

I don't know much about this AXM company, but they sure have a hell of deal on NIB Elvira HOH's!!! [quoted image]

Considering their picture for a restored AFM is the same as this weird website that apparently has "200 in stock" high end restoration AFMs, I think it sounds amazingly legitimate and I wouldn't hesitate sending cash if need be. Actually I would probably buy from this site instead since they have a deal, "GET 30% ON ALL PURCHASE. BLACK FRIDAY..." Save yourself thousands!

https://kingarupinball.com/product/attack-from-mars-by-bally/

huh (resized).JPGhuh (resized).JPG

#17 3 years ago

Those liars, I was all set to buy but the coupon code has expired! And during checkout I see this website is direct bank transfer as payment too. At least shipping was a flat rate $399.99 total. Oh well, I suppose I will go ahead and order anyway, what's the worst that could happen?

huh2 (resized).JPGhuh2 (resized).JPGhuh3 (resized).JPGhuh3 (resized).JPG

#18 3 years ago

most of the overpriced sellers on this site turn off the discussion because they know how it will turn out. GAP is one that comes to mind. They are a retailer so must make a profit, but some of these retailers too high even at retail levels.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from northernarrow:

Say, speaking of being wary, has anyone ever had any experience with "AXM Pinball Machines" .. https://axmpinballmachines.com/
    They have a machine that I am looking for, and are very responsive on the email, but their website looks a bit junky and I can't find much about them on the web...
    Any comments?

I can't find any mention of this company anywhere.

The domain name was created on 6/30/20, so it's pretty recent.

Most, if not all, of the game images were stolen from elsewhere.

The written content doesn't make any sense.

The phone number is associated with scammy sites.

I doubt this website legitimate.

There's been a whole stream of scam sites just like this one. They're pretty easy to set up for someone who knows what they're doing.

Do NOT send them any money.

#20 3 years ago

I don't make a decision about buying based on whether they allow a discussion thread or not. As others have said, many don't add a discussion thread because they don't want the price police showing up nitpicking their sale. When I sell a game, I like to have the discussion thread so I can address any issues that someone might bring up.

I also agree that if a seller doesn't have a discussion thread then I'd expect them to be appropriately communicative in PMs.

Dave

#21 3 years ago

Hate to say it but even if my game was nice and fairly priced I would probably turn it off.

Too many people just post random crap (Ive been guilty of this myself) in the for sale posts and usually have zero interest in the item....

I dont see how it benefits anyone to have it on frankly, just opens the door for whiners and trolls.

#22 3 years ago

No. Discussion threads are good for bumps, but can sometimes hurt sells. I've seen them degrade into childish banter. Also, sometimes you can get a pinsider who has an issue with a game or a company troll and trash a thread. So discussion thread of an add is merely a choice of the seller and does not reflect on their legitimacy. I always look at the buyer responses, sales made and years on pinside if I am questioning a seller.

#23 3 years ago

When selling I wouldn't start a thread either. I see no benefit of it; only down side. I mean, is someone browsing the forums that's not already searching for the title you are selling and looking to purchase in your geograpthic area going to do an impulse buy because they see your for sale thread? I doubt it. Therefore, I don't blame others for not starting the for sale threads either and have had a solid transaction with a Pinsider that didn't do such.

#24 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for your response and especially the experienced pinball owners on this site...I am cancelling this order as of now and will definitely NOT be dealing with these people - did I mention the guy who phoned me up from Florida had a Nigerian type accent?

#25 3 years ago

Fewwww... :doh:I almost sent them around $6000USD for a new Munsters pin...I'm so glad I joined this group and had this discussion brought up...I'm gonna go to the Authorized dealer here in Bangkok -Thailandpooltables and see if I can get it there.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZappaMan:

Fewwww... :doh:I almost sent them around $6000USD for a new Munsters pin...I'm so glad I joined this group and had this discussion brought up...I'm gonna go to the Authorized dealer here in Bangkok -Thailandpooltables and see if I can get it there.

Good luck on your buy, ZappaMan . I hope you enjoy your game.

#27 3 years ago

For those interested - Here is the 'invoice' that AMX pinball sent me before I decided against it. Well, it seemed like a good deal except getting through customs would have cost a great deal more!

Invoice-Ken AXM.pdfInvoice-Ken AXM.pdf
    #28 3 years ago
    Quoted from timtim:

Some just don't want drama or price police.
    I would never have an ad without discussion, the bumps is a great reason to have it on. I'm also not a dick and don't price things for 1k or more over market value
    But I've gotten games from either.

B5AFFE13-4B26-49C4-A024-9188C4BAED46 (resized).jpegB5AFFE13-4B26-49C4-A024-9188C4BAED46 (resized).jpeg
    #29 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZappaMan:

For those interested - Here is the 'invoice' that AMX pinball sent me before I decided against it. Well, it seemed like a good deal except getting through customs would have cost a great deal more!
    [quoted image]

735 dollar delivery?!?! Who the hell is delivering it? I'd say, "I'll just come pick it up myself" and see what they say.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-be-wary-of-sellers-that-wont-let-you-discuss-their-ad?hl=elvishasleft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.