11%
  • Look for something else 9 votes
    24%

(37 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

04847AB5-A760-406E-B03B-2107471FD152 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Seems to be a very reasonably priced game for a ‘late’ 90s game. I heard some bad things about it and the review score here doesn’t help much either. “Everybody underground now” is already getting to my head just by seeing the videos, but the multiball is cool. Running on a budget like mine, I am surprised to see a 96 game so cheap.

#2 5 years ago

Of course you should! Great movie and great game! How many other licensed themes of late use the actual actors and actresses voices?

I played this game way more in the late 90s than some of the supposed highly ranked pinside games of today. Sometimes I wonder why I ever sold mine, but 5 years is a long time to keep any game.

And that spinning disc. What else can you say about that? 5 balls hanging on that center magnet waiting to explode into play! Today's pinball manufacturers haven't even come close to improving on that design.

Plus it has pictures of that Jeep truck on the side of the cabinet that is way cool in itself.

#3 5 years ago

cool pin.... and it has bill paxton on the translight... game over man!

#4 5 years ago

People tend to forget about this title since it doesn't surface very often.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

5 balls hanging on that center magnet waiting to explode into play!

100% one of the coolest multiball starts in all of pinball.

--

I like Twister, it's a guilty pleasure of mine. It's a great game to just spend some time on and have a good time to forget about life for a while. That said, don't expect it to have thoughtful rules or strategy. Just go for the drop target multiball lock. There are other things to do in the game, but nothing else really matters or are quite as fun as just going for multiballs.

All that being said, I'll often wish I'm playing Whirlwind instead of Twister. It's definitely the better of the two.

#6 5 years ago

One of my favorites

#7 5 years ago

If you can find one that’s in good shape and for a good deal, go for it

#8 5 years ago

It's a very fast playing game too. One of the fastest of the late 90s with it's two spinner orbit shot and crazy ramp return. John Borg design.

Another thing to consider is it is themed after a movie from 1996 and by today's standards that's about as modern as you can get.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

People tend to forget about this title since it doesn't surface very often.

Do you know how many were made?

Quoted from o-din:ith it's two spinner orbit shots

How is the spinner? I heard it kinda sucks and it looks that way in the videos.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Just go for the drop target multiball lock. There are other things to do in the game, but nothing else really matters or are quite as fun as just going for multiballs.

That's not really correct. Sure on location I did that as it is obvious fun. But after a while of owning it found advancement thru the TWISTER and compass target modes very important to having a great, complete game.

Quoted from mrossman5:

How is the spinner? I heard it kinda sucks and it looks that way in the videos.

There are two and in great location. They don't ding like an EM, but if you want even one in a new game it will probably cost you extra.

#11 5 years ago

I had one for awhile its a very good game just look out for broken plastics & make sure multiball spinner magnet functions properly , it actually utilizes an independent board under the playfield for this feature

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

make sure multiball spinner magnet functions properly

Exactly! Mine always worked perfect, but I have read the horror stories about those that didn't.

What this game does lack is there is no stacking or overlapping of almost anything in the rules. But you won't find that on a lot of 90s games.

#13 5 years ago

I love the game and it goes well with my WW!!!

#14 5 years ago

Hell Yes great game!

04847AB5-A760-406E-B03B-2107471FD152 (resized).jpeg04847AB5-A760-406E-B03B-2107471FD152 (resized).jpeg

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What this game does lack is there is no stacking or overlapping of almost anything in the rules. But you won't find that on a lot of 90s games.

Yeah but starting Cow multiball in succession to chase was always cool as I remembered

#16 5 years ago

Twister is decent and a fun game. Make sure your magnet and spinning disc work. This drove me nuts and I also had to have multiple pinball techs take cracks at it. It put me in a pinball hiatus with the stress of never getting the game to work properly but finally it works now and I do enjoy it from time to time.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Do you know how many were made?

I haven't heard an official number, and IPDB doesn't have one listed. Based on the IPSND numbers and comparing those serial numbers to the Sega games with known production numbers, I'd guess there might have been 1200 Twisters produced.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I haven't heard an official number, and IPDB doesn't have one listed. Based on the IPSND numbers and comparing those serial numbers to the Sega games with known production numbers, I'd guess there might have been 1200 Twisters produced.

Thank you

#19 5 years ago

Why such the poor ratings then?

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Pinsiders mostly prefers superhero, old rock bands, and fairy robot fantasy type themes. But you do get some Van Halen with this one.

Another contributing factor is the scarcity of the title and being a Sega, and as you mentioned "everybody under ground now". But hey that's Bill Paxton, so it is what it is.

#21 5 years ago

I enjoy my twister it took me a long time to find mine but I enjoy it has cool toys and I really like the cabinet artwork. I also think it's cool that the games main soundtrack is van Halen human beings.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

The individual ratings are all over the place, for various reasons. Have a look through some of the comments:

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/twister/ratings

The fact that it's rare (I think I've only seen it twice at shows in the past 5 years) and not an A-list or highly sought after title probably contributes to the lower rating somewhat.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Some people spend time rating games , others spend their time playing them . Since people's tastes vary in pinball the ratings system is almost completely useless .

#24 5 years ago

Played one of these at a hotel when I was a kid. Musta dumped a thousand of my parents quarters in there and had a hell of a time doing it. Very cool, fun and fast game.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Some people spend time rating games , others spend their time playing them . Since people's tastes vary in pinball the ratings system is almost completely useless .

Agreed. I don't understand how the ratings system works here other than some pins are more popular than others. Many of the reviews are of no help at all when trying to decide on a pin to buy. Obviously, they are subjective, and some are not well written or not very descriptive. You read many reviews that say something like: I really like this pin. It plays fast and had fast multi-ball.

But every once in awhile find find someone who writes objective reviews that help you make a decision.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's not really correct. Sure on location I did that as it is obvious fun. But after a while of owning it found advancement thru the TWISTER and compass target modes very important to having a great, complete game.

Hmmm. I'll have to give it a deeper look then. I've only ever played it out in the wild, so I never had the chance to really experiment with it. I'll for sure have to keep my eye out!

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Quoted from o-din:

Pinsiders mostly prefers superhero, old rock bands, and fairy robot fantasy type themes.

They also think that anything not made by Bally or William's in the '90s is crap/not worth owning. I say, let them keep thinking that to keep the prices low on all the other really fun titles Sega/DE and Gottlieb produced back then.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Hmmm. I'll have to give it a deeper look then. I've only ever played it out in the wild, so I never had the chance to really experiment with it. I'll for sure have to keep my eye out!

I probably had the game a year before I started concentrating on other things beside the main multiball. The TWISTER targets must be hit in order to advance thru those modes and that can be challenging in itself.

Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Played one of these at a hotel when I was a kid. Musta dumped a thousand of my parents quarters in there and had a hell of a time doing it. Very cool, fun and fast game.

I've mentioned this before but it's been a while. The Twister on location near me was sitting next to a Cactus Canyon and a TOTAN, and those games rarely if ever got any quarters of mine as I was too busy playing this more fun game. But to each his own I guess.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-be-looking-for-a-twister and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.