(Topic ID: 70278)

Should I be concerned about the weight of 5 pins on second floor?

By RDReynolds

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by blownfuse
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

May have asked this before, but couldn't find the post. I have 5 pins in my second floor game room of my 13 year old home. I currently have four against a wall, kicking around making it five. Should I have any concerns about the weight? I love my pins but I love my house more.

#2 7 years ago

Your home isnt very old at all, I would not be concerned. I have seen older homes with second stories have 20 pins in one area.

#3 7 years ago

I used to have 7 pins and 3 arcades in my upstairs. The house was 10 years old and never seem to be a problem.

#4 7 years ago

If you see large cracks in the ceiling below it, then be worried...

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from RDReynolds:

May have asked this before, but couldn't find the post. I have 5 pins in my second floor game room of my 13 year old home. I currently have four against a wall, kicking around making it five. Should I have any concerns about the weight? I love my pins but I love my house more.

Depends. Depends on how your home is laid out and how you space them and what else is up there. Pins spaced all evenly apart over (or against) load bearing walls? Pins all clustered against an interior wall on the opposite side of your bedroom with a three hundred gallon fish tank and jacuzzi?

Pins do a pretty good job of distributing their weight, but overall you're looking at 1600 pounds up there. Like 'flank said...if you start to see settling or new cracks anywhere you went too far!

#6 7 years ago

A modern home in the US should be able to handle 40 lbs per sq. foot.

#7 7 years ago

My house was built in 1940 and has the original hardwood flooring under the carpet in my game room. I'm maxed out with 2 pins, 9 arcade cabinets, plus a couch, glass display case, and my big office desk in the connected side room. Recently noticed the floor squeaking in places it never did before. Planning to somehow add at least one more pin and a dedicated MK1 cabinet this weekend. Hadn't really thought about the amount of weight on the flooring... I wonder if I should be more concerned about it?

#9 7 years ago

I live on the first floor and plaster keeps falling on our kids . Please sell some . lol

#10 7 years ago

It shouldn't be a problem but you might get a little bit of floor bounce (set your tilts very liberal ). General residential floor engineering codes call for a minimum load of 40 lbs. per sq. ft. if you want to calculate your loads.

Steve

#11 7 years ago

Yes, very concerned. Now, since I am your friend I'm willing to store your Monster Bash for you, at no charge of course. It will be a bit of a squeeze, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice because I care about the integrity of your home.

#12 7 years ago

You beat me to it, I started typing after centerflanks post. I kept changing my post till it made sense to me and I took too long.

Steve

Quoted from DCFAN:

A modern home in the US should be able to handle 40 lbs per sq. foot.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 350.00
    Boards
    Pinball Basement
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    € 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 839.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 64.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 199.99
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Apparel - Unisex
    PinShades

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside