(Topic ID: 16727)

Should I apply this overlay on pinbot or not?!

By Blackbeard

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Blackbeard
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

56h.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider btrip.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Someone mentioned wet sanding here.. I think I can do it dry without a problem...
thoughts?

Dry sand always. When you wet sand you lose a feel for how smooth you're getting the clear, making it much easier to burn through, which is very bad

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from decktard:

Blackbeard - Please update the thread with your experience after you're done. If you're so inclined some close up pix before/after (during?) would be cool too.
I'm really curious how your step 5, clearing a little over the decal, goes.
Can anyone comment if the process would be different for a diamondplate playfield?

Your acrylic and polyurethane clears just won't have the same look as diamondplate. These clears are much better suited for pre-diamondplate, as they look very similar to the factory finish. You can use these clears on a diamondplate playfield, but only for smaller spot touchups. For example, when I repaired the scoops on my Jurassic Park, I spot cleared with Varathane and you'd never know.

Don't get me wrong, you can get this stuff REALLY glossy, but it just won't have that glass look. For any large diamondplate touchups on the scale of something like this, you really have to go all out and do a full clearcoat in my opinion.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from decktard:

btrip said:Your acrylic and polyurethane clears just won't have the same look as diamondplate. These clears are much better suited for pre-diamondplate, as they look very similar to the factory finish. You can use these clears on a diamondplate playfield, but only for smaller spot touchups.
Sorry for semi-hijacking this thread.
So... in my case, I'd be putting a large overlay over the middle fish/tacklebox area of a FT. I realize I need to do something to fill in a couple areas where paint has completely chipped off/worn to the wood. Aside from that... would you just skip spot clearing over the decal with the krylon stuff?
I like the idea of the large decal but I don't see myself doing a full clear coat in the near future.

Krlyon Krystal Clear is great for very small spot clears. It's cheap, polishes nicely, but it's only draw back is it's not the most durable, which is why it's better for smaller jobs.

Varathane is better for medium spot clears.

For filling, it all depends on the size of the job.

For small jobs, like filling in a little chip here or spot there, I prefer either varathane from a pipette or super glue. If using super glue, have a paper towel handy. Tear the paper towel in half to expose the towel's fibers. Put down a little super glue, then dip the corner of the paper towel into it to soak up excess. The capillary effect should suck up some excess, which is good, because we want to build up in layers. Tear off the piece of towel and dip it back in. You have maybe 10 or 15 seconds before it dries so work quickly. It's seriously put down glue, towel for 2 seconds, take towel out, rip off part with glue on it, drip towel back in, 2 seconds, take towel out, let dry.

If you put too much super glue down at once, when it dries, it will have a frosted look to it.

When you have it built back up, lightly sand it with 600 grit, then 1500 grit, then novus 2. Super glue, if done right, can take a real nice polish.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider btrip.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-apply-this-overlay-on-pinbot-or-not?tu=btrip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.