• 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by cpr9999
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

56450BEB-FA16-487F-B485-AA8F719E925D (resized).jpeg

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

For a long time, my pinball collection only included two pinballs: #MM and #MB. I think it is time to add a third pinball.

On the one hand, I think about going for another timeless pinball. #AFM is the first that come to my mind, but I cannot stop thinking that it is a subset of MM.

On the other hand, I think about adding something different. Maybe it is time to go for a Sten pinball. #GB is the Stern pinball that we (my wife and myself) enjoy the more (we had the opportunity to play all the last models of Stern).

To be honest, the experience of a NIB is something that puts a smile on my face, BUT a GB premium is enough money (in my country it sets you back 8300€) to buy other great pinballs.

Do you think MM, MB and GB is a good combination?

#2 5 years ago

Definitely I love my NIB GB Premium purchase
Very happy with it

#3 5 years ago

Nah, dialed in! It’s great

#4 5 years ago

Most any stern but gb. Don’t miss that one

#5 5 years ago

GB takes a lot of hits here, and it’s not my favorite either, but if it’s you and your wife’s favorite Stern, that’s all that really matters.

#6 5 years ago

If I had one of every title ever made, except GB, yet still had space for one more pin... I’d get a dart board.

#7 5 years ago

Don't listen to the hate. I bought my GB Pro over 18 months ago intending to practice it for a couple of months and then move it on. It may move on eventually, but for now it has earned a place in my lineup. One of the things I love about GB is that it plays fast and punishes poor shot selection (which is one of the things a lot of people don't like about it).

I haven't installed the aftermarket lane guides, but I don't have many lane jumps. When I do have the occasional outlane lane jump, I can almost always trace it back to playing out of control. If it ends up bugging you, then you can always get the aftermarket lane guides.

When I have a great game, I feel like I really accomplished something. When I have a bad game, there's still time (and the desire) for a few more tries. The artwork is fantastic and I really feel it makes me a better player. I prefer the Pro, but the Premium/LE have some really cool features.

Jon

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Nah, dialed in! It’s great

I second this advice get Dialed In!

#9 5 years ago

You don’t want to get the scientifically proven worst game ever made in the history of the universe next to two of the best games ever made.

#10 5 years ago

You should play GB before you buy. But it become better @home then on location.
Also you can consider a IronMaiden or Dialed In.
Where do you live?

#11 5 years ago

Ghostbusters set up wrong is brutal. A perfectly set up ghostbusters is a blast.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

If I had one of every title ever made, except GB, yet still had space for one more pin... I’d get a dart board.

My opinion of GB notwithstanding, this is the funniest thing i have read on here today.

#13 5 years ago

So many Stern titles better than GB. Really just about all of them. Yoko pretty much nailed it. Iron Maiden is fun even if you don't care for the music.

#14 5 years ago

I don’t own any Stern games, but if I got one it would be Ghostbusters pro. Ghostbusters seems to be very polarizing, kind of like CV. Considering all the hate GB gets I keep asking myself why I like it the best - I think one reason is it has so many really satisfying shots - especially right loop, left loop (with the spinner), left ramp, 3 ball newton target and slimer. I don’t know why they’re so satisfying, maybe one reason for the loops is that the ball disappears or maybe because of the sound effects when you make these shots. I played an Iron Maiden a few weeks ago - lovely game, super rules, but none of the shots were satisfying like in GB. GB has amazing music - each mode and situation has a completely different vibe because of the music. GB has a spectacular light show and the game itself is just gorgeous. The rules are great - I like the pressure of having to start your mode right away after the launch with one well placed shot, then starting the next mode right after. It’s just so different. GB is totally stop and go - I kind of like that. I was all set to put Deadpool at the top of my list, but after having watched the stream this week, I decided I don’t want it and now I’m back to Ghostbusters.

#15 5 years ago

Had both, pro and premium. I prefer the pro.
Thought the premium had a better right ramp but that is not the case imho, too hard to shot (certainly coz of the design).
GB has a great sound package and is a challenging game. Not the best game, but solid one.
Personnaly i would keep either MM or MB but not both, there are too much similar, same layout.

#16 5 years ago

If you and your wife love GB thats what you should go for...... I have has a premium in my line up since they came out. Not my favorite in a 10 game collection but still has staying power, tons of toys, fantastic art, and a unique layout.

That being said it took a lot of tinkering to get dialed in perfect.

#17 5 years ago

Set up properly, ghostbusters is a great game, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one. Good sound, great theme integration, different playfield layout. There is also rumor of a code update and hopefully followed by a color dmd release. Mainly you just need airball protectors for the middle area and the in/outlines.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You don’t want to get the scientifically proven worst game ever made in the history of the universe next to two of the best games ever made.

I've had a GB le sold it missed it got a premium back. I don't have a mm and would never own one. Snooze fest long ball times and shallow code.... overrated bw. Mb is cool though. GB is definitely a huo game and needs to be dialed in but its such a just one more game title and very addictive... unlike mm. I honestly believe there's something about mm that people are drawn to that is misleading and they end up getting rid of the game. I know a couple of friends that have bought a mm and got so bored with it so quickly... It was good in its day but...

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

if it’s you and your wife’s favorite Stern, that’s all that really matters.

Agreed. I enjoy playing the GB premium on location.

#20 5 years ago

Go with your personal preference.

I've owned a lot of games. I'm an average to below average player and it definitely impacts on my enjoyment of certain games. GB really spoke to me and I ordered a NIB Premium. Bottom line for me, Its just too hard. I spend most of my time bricking shots and rarely see a multi ball. I would love to say its not set up properly, but thats not the case. My somewhat pinball talented son has no trouble making shots and enjoys it. I would sell it if my young son didn't love it.

At 47, the theme for me is probably TOP 10 licenses of all time.
Sadly, game difficulty is also TOP 10 for me.

Best of Luck!

#21 5 years ago

Soooooo many other amazing games to choose before GB, especially for a 3 game collection, but if you both like it, why not.

#22 5 years ago

If GB had a LCD it would have been a Grand Slam, but it's definitely a home run.

Absolutely love this game.

#23 5 years ago

He’s not asking us if we like GB or not.

Him and his wife already know they enjoy the game.

I have a GB , MMr , AFMr, and soon MBr

GB would be the first to leave out of that set...... but it’s definitely the most unique and feature packed. I don’t see mine leaving soon and I just has sooooo many toys on a Prem

I I were you and have owed the others before , love GB and have never owned one it makes the most sense.

Just my opinion though

#24 5 years ago

I waited till all the hate died down on GB and picked up a sweet fully dialed in & modded GB premium. I have a pretty diverse lineup for all ages, and every time I have family & friends over the 1st game they all want to play is GB. Is it hard...yes, but if you change a few things it makes it " easier " for the novice player. The call outs, light show, artwork, and play of the game is awesome. For example last night my brothers gf came over and the only game she played was GB, then my brother said they went home and watched the movie. Do what your family wants, not what some pinsider says.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Go with your personal preference.
I've owned a lot of games. I'm an average to below average player and it definitely impacts on my enjoyment of certain games. GB really spoke to me and I ordered a NIB Premium. Bottom line for me, Its just too hard. I spend most of my time bricking shots and rarely see a multi ball. I would love to say its not set up properly, but thats not the case. My somewhat pinball talented son has no trouble making shots and enjoys it. I would sell it if my young son didn't love it.
At 47, the theme for me is probably TOP 10 licenses of all time.
Sadly, game difficulty is also TOP 10 for me.
Best of Luck!

Feel the same. Love the theme and enjoyed playing for a while. More I played it the more I didn't like it. I remember several pinsiders recommending playing a game 50 times or more before buying to make sure it's a game you really want. That's advice I follow now. Thought for sure I was getting GB when announced but not after playing a bunch. If you guys like it then great. I just don't know about spending a huge premium on one. Are all new pins very expensive there or just Stern games? I would suggest DI as well if about same price.

#26 5 years ago

I bought GB premium because the wife said she liked it on location and anything to get her more into pinball. Our collection is down to two or three pins at a time and an arcade game. The minute she said “maybe I don’t like it as much as I thought” it was sold. GB is a bad choice for a small collection imho.

#27 5 years ago

Yes, ghostbusters is an exellent title - it does need proper setup, I recently rebought one since I missed mine so much, and it played like a nightmare, I can see why it can turn people off. After spending some time setting it up its a great playing and fun game that I remember - my other GB didnt have these issues at all.

Bend the targets out so you dont get airballs, level the scolari drops so you dont get lift on your shots going into the orbits, and the right orbit needs a piece of plastic to push the ball down from launch and from the orbit shot. this makes the orbit smooth and the gates register each time.

#28 5 years ago

MY GB Pre is a keeper for me,HOWEVER,it must be tweeked some! I lowered the right ramp3/8 of an inch with a different standoff,and it now flows smoothly!And the kit from PBL does the trick with the outlane drains! The callouts are really funny and direct from the movie!A good new one for you IMHO!!!! Have fun,B safe!!

#29 5 years ago

GB premium was the first pinball machine I bought, and it is now part of my 3 pin collection (with TSPP and Sopranos). I am an average player, but with the tweaks above, and with the slightly longer “carrot” flippers, it plays great (though still tough) and is a blast.

I may sell it at some point, but at the moment GB would be the last to leave. It’s really a shame Stern didn’t tweak GB a bit more before release, but the fixes are pretty straightforward. Unfortunately, most people only get to play the location examples which are often a mess. The linear modes don’t bother me. Aside from scoring imbalances, incomplete wizard modes, and some annoying bugs, the code is pretty good IMHO. Updates have taken much longer than they should have, but I’m hopeful the next update will polish it off nicely. Don’t let the haters scare you off.

#30 5 years ago

If you like it now buy it. If you and your wife both get bored ...sell it. If you are worried that may happen, try to get HUO instead of NIB depending on local availability.

#31 5 years ago

I had a GB Premium. It’s a fun game but I definitely prefer AFM. If you add AFM to your collection you will arguably have the top 3 games ever made.

#32 5 years ago

Today we played dial in and other sterns for a few hours. See attachment. Maybe dial in should have the theme of GB

Quoted from JJHLH:

I had a GB Premium. It’s a fun game but I definitely prefer AFM. If you add AFM to your collection you will arguably have the top 3 games ever made.

I noticed a lot of people have MM and AFM simultaneously, but, as I said AFM is a subset of MM. maybe I am wrong and I should go that way.

I am surprised of the very bad opinions regarding GB. It seems there is consensus about:
- TOP theme
- great light show
- great art

Maybe it is because it is a hard game? The code seems to miss an update that might polish things a bit.

56450BEB-FA16-487F-B485-AA8F719E925D (resized).jpeg56450BEB-FA16-487F-B485-AA8F719E925D (resized).jpeg
#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Notpinhead:

Maybe it is because it is a hard game?

It’s not that it’s hard, it’s that it’s poorly designed which results in unfair and annoying gameplay - resulting in airball drains, outlane hops, and STDM drains from various places regardless of skill. Also, many don’t like the design of the rules, with the skill shot weighing so heavily on progress & the linear mode ladders.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Notpinhead:

I noticed a lot of people have MM and AFM simultaneously, but, as I said AFM is a subset of MM. maybe I am wrong and I should go that way.
I am surprised of the very bad opinions regarding GB. It seems there is consensus about:
- TOP theme
- great light show
- great art
Maybe it is because it is a hard game? The code seems to miss an update that might polish things a bit. [quoted image]

My 2-game collection consists of MMr and AFMr and I am very happy with it. There are similarities as far as the fan layout is concerned, but they differ in art, rules, theme, music, callouts so I wouldn’t hesitate getting both if you enjoy them.

GB is a very fun game but it is hard. It also has design flaws such as the ball hopping over the inlanes and the Trudeau wide flipper gap, but that can be corrected if it bothers you. The linear code is a bit of a bummer too, but the art and theme are top notch for sure.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s not that it’s hard, it’s that it’s poorly designed which results in unfair and annoying gameplay - resulting in airball drains, outlane hops, and STDM drains from various places regardless of skill. Also, many don’t like the design of the rules, with the skill shot weighing so heavily on progress & the linear mode ladders.

I see these complaints often but haven’t had any issues straight out the box with airballs or outline hops, in almost two years. And I read time and again from owners that have had those problems that a few minor tweaks correct them. Occasionally I get a SDTM from the pops but I occasionally get SDTMs on all my games, it’s pinball.

I do agree put some time in and pick what you like. Plenty of people love their GBs but there is an extremely vocal group of people that love to trash it.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Oshara:

I see these complaints often but haven’t had any issues straight out the box with airballs or outline hops, in almost two years.

Well, you’re extremely lucky then. You’ve seen the complaints, so you know it’s a real issue for most. I’ve played well over 20 GB machines...Pro, Prem, LE...and every single one had the same issues.

#37 5 years ago

As a GB owner.... being up front it took a lot more than just a few tweaks to get to play well. ( probably one of the hardest I have done ) But once you do it a really fun game

#38 5 years ago

I love my GB Pro. If you like the movies and a challenging pin, it’s for you. As others have said, just make sure it’s set up right. I love the fact that there is a mini wizard mode before the final wizard mode. Tons of strategy if you are playing head to head also...incredible art and call outs

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

As a GB owner.... being up front it took a lot more than just a few tweaks to get to play well. ( probably one of the hardest I have done ) But once you do it a really fun game

is there a good thread or post indicating what the recommended tweaks are?

#41 5 years ago

Why do I have gb pro in my collection? Because it's hella fun everytime i play it. To each there own I love this game and I'm not even a big fan of the movie. Why don't I own mm or mb? Because for 2 to 5k less I got better gameplay, visuals and sound imo.....
If you and your wife enjoy gb I say go for it.

#42 5 years ago

No, many other better pins to choose from to round off your collection. As a simple, yet valuable piece of advice for what to add to your current 2 pin collection:

Buy a 3+ flipper pin.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, you’re extremely lucky then. You’ve seen the complaints, so you know it’s a real issue for most. I’ve played well over 20 GB machines...Pro, Prem, LE...and every single one had the same issues.

I have not played that many GB machines but more than a few. Same experience. They all had similar issues and cheap drains which made gameplay less fun. Premiums seem to play better than pros but have their own quirks. I would love to play one that played well and worked right. Code also seems very unbalanced imo. Things like scoring where the more points you have the easier it is to get a lot more points. It's probably a decent game once you address all the design problems, get to know the rules, and play a certain way. I just don't see the point of going through all that for big $$$ when there are so many better games out there that play great right out of the box.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

No, many other better pins to choose from to round off your collection. As a simple, yet valuable piece of advice for what to add to your current 2 pin collection:
Buy a 3+ flipper pin.

We love TSPP, and we was considering it as the next adition to our small collection, BUT we were mesmerized by the light show of GB. We really do not know which one should be our next step.

- add GB to MM&MB: GOOD: NIB experience, 201X model (light-show, shaker...). BAD: too many complaints suggest that fun may not last as we play it more.

- add AFM to MM&MB: GOOD: great game BAD: overlaping with MM

- add TSPP MM&MB: GOOD: different (3+ flipper) BAD: not as great as AFM, no NIB experience, no 201X model.

In all the three cases, we like both the game and the theme.

#45 5 years ago

One of the great thing about pinball is that if you buy a game and don't like it, you can always trade it away and get the other. I don't think you can go wrong with afm, tspp or gb. Having owned all three, I agree it is a tough choice. Mm and afm have similar layouts, but play very differently. GB and tspp have unique layouts. Tspp is my number 1 game given rule set and theme integration.

#46 5 years ago

I don’t own MM so can not say yes/no overlap with AFM.

But I own Met pro and IM which are *very* similar, ramp placement, roll over / pop bumpers location. I realize they share a lot of similarities but playing them is completely different experience.

However if I was going to lay down my collection and avoid overlapping, I wouldn’t own IM/Met, ST/SM or AFM/MM. but I’m not concerned seeing as 4 of my pins are Stern-Borg within a 5 year time period. I don’t feel like they play the same and while I could trade them for a more diverse group of pins, I keep them because I love them. Maybe if you love MM it’s for a reason and another subset like AFM is just more to love.

Just for the sake of having variations might be more important if you only have 3 pins.

Regarding GB, I liked it when I had the chance to play it. But not sure if it’s one of those things that’s great at first but less so when you own it. We do know that AFM is/has been number 1-2-3 pin for a long time for a reason. I didn’t really appreciate AFM until I bought the LE and now I’m saying what took me so long?

#47 5 years ago

Just suprise her with a WWE and call it a day.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Notpinhead:

We love TSPP, and we was considering it as the next adition to our small collection, BUT we were mesmerized by the light show of GB. We really do not know which one should be our next step.
- add GB to MM&MB: GOOD: NIB experience, 201X model (light-show, shaker...). BAD: too many complaints suggest that fun may not last as we play it more.
- add TSPP MM&MB: GOOD: different (3+ flipper) BAD: not as great as AFM, no NIB experience, no 201X model.

See my post prior about overlapping.

But if you did buy AFM you’d have 3 pins from the same era. Not a bad trio but I’d say rather get something different be that GB or Tspp or (my recommendation Woz or DI).

Woz has been described to me as Tspp on steroids. Both have similar odd layout and many similar rules like mini wizard modes for various places on the play field.

I purchased in the last 10 months Woz, DI and AFM all LE.

I can’t say at all which is better, I think Woz is a tiny bit better than DI but DI is not finished yet still has rules to go.

I do play AFM the most but also that’s the newest to my collection.

If you played MM a lot you can also sell that and buy AFM plus GB/Tspp or Woz/DI whatever combination you prefer.

I know it’s not great to sell pins but I sold STLE and LotR both are top20 pins but didn’t want to sell but replaced with Woz/DI so I don’t really mind because two good out replaced with two good in is a net equal. But get me different games to play.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Notpinhead:

GB is awesome to look at, and kinda sucks to play. The issues are definitely a downer, but the game itself isn’t viewed as very fun by a LOT of people.

I second rai and nominate DI or WOZ. Both are unbelievably cool looking games and both are SUPER fun. TSPP is great too, I find it a bit too hard. WOZ is just as hard to get to the final mode but there’s a lot more fun things along the way, and it’s not quite as brutal..

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Notpinhead:

Have you tried/considered:
Twilight Zone
Shadow
White Water?
Tron

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe
Toppers
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 103.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wolcott, CT
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
15,999 (OBO)
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
15,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs
Armor and blades
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-add-gb-to-mm-and-mb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.