(Topic ID: 171089)

Should Dialed In be called "Quantum City" instead?

By PanzerFreak

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 155 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by libtech
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Dialed In be called "Quantum City" instead?”

• Yes! 253 votes
    76%
  • No! 78 votes
    24%

(331 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

phone (resized).jpg
logo (resized).jpg
67a (resized).jpg
6000sux (resized).jpg
8jbw2a (resized).jpg
IMG_0128 (resized).JPG
Dialed-In Sprint (resized).jpg
There are 155 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Killer App is a better name than Dialed In.
It at least sounds cool.

Killer Ap - City of Chaos ....

#102 7 years ago

Here's a better name for a disaster pin: Bible Adv.

Someone should really get on that................

#103 7 years ago

Change the name from Dialed In to something else. The fact that it's difficult for people to understand the theme already shows that they didn't think this one out or do proper market research. It's a good game, change the name.

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Here's a better name for a disaster pin: Bible Adv.

an even better name for a disaster pin: Religious People.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

an even better name for a disaster pin: Religious People.

I think Smug Athiests probably tops it, though.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I think Smug Athiests probably tops it, though.

No religious people is much better for a disaster based pin, or bible adventures would work as well, all disastrous.

#107 7 years ago

Hi

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Ha...You know your physics. Nerd!
Trivia: which Jude Law movie tried to explain Schrodinger's cat?

Gattaca ?

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcadegarage:

The fact that it's difficult for people to understand the theme already shows that they didn't think this one out or do proper market research.

Maybe this is their market research. I mean the games at the show were prototypes, they still have several months until launch.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Maybe this is their market research. I mean the games at the show were prototypes, they still have several months until launch.

Stupidity on their part

Really? The constant excuses are MIND BLOWING

While Stern, Heighway and Spooky are raking in the deposits while these dopes try and figure it out?

GREED and STUPIDITY, how about that for some market research

#111 7 years ago

Nah. That's a movie brilliantly named with the A T C G base units of the human genome. Its a F'n genius way IMO to name a movie about a future where we use DNA to determine someone's place in the world.

I didn't figure that out (GATTACA naming method) until years later when watching a documentary about the genome project. Sorta like seeing the show Greys Anatomy years before you learn its a medical book lol.

Saw that movie on VHS I think. Haven't seen it since. May need to revisit it one day.

I used google to find the answer. It was Repo Men lmfao

Wow. A JJP thread with both religion & man cracking his own genome... says a lot about their game

#112 7 years ago

Nah..Gattaca was a near perfect thinking sci-fi film though. The cat thing was in the intro to the 2010 "Repo Man".

Warning: there is a bit of blood in the end.

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Stupidity on their part
While Stern, Heighway and Spooky are raking in the deposits while these dopes try and figure it out?

I wouldn't be calling the guys at JJP dopes (ever for that matter as its rude, come on) when Dialed In was the hit of Expo out of all the new machines. The more I think about the name of the game the more it makes sense and fits the overall theme. I would just like to see some different cabinet artwork instead of a guy holding a phone...ugh.

Nearly everyone who has played Dialed In has enjoyed it. Feedback about the game from Expo has been incredible and at least one distributor (PinballStar) has reported taking in more orders in a single day for Dialed In then he does in several months for other games.

As more people get a chance to play the game I think the name of the game will become more accepting. Still, Quantum City Chaos sounds awesome

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wouldn't call the guys at JJP dopes (ever for that matter as its rude, come on) when Dialed In was the hit of Expo out of all the new machines. The more I think about the name of the game the more it makes sense and fits the overall theme. I would just like to see some different cabinet artwork instead of a guy holding a phone...ugh.
Nearly everyone who has played Dialed In has enjoyed it. Feedback about the game from Expo has been incredible and at least one distributor (PinballStar) has reported taking in more orders in a single day for Dialed In then he does in several months for other games.
As more people get a chance to play the game I think the name of the game will become more accepting. Still, Quantum City Chaos sounds awesome

Rude or not, its the truth.

If DI was the imaginary "hit of expo" why can't they sell it?

Period. Game over

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Period. Game over

Who is saying they can't sell it? As I mentioned PinballStar reported taking in a lot of deposits for the game. I think the price of the game is what is whats hurting it as this point. I just can't see spending $9k on any NIB pin.

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Period. Game over

The shills and promoters like you Panzer will always support toys, yet you won't buy one because you know the reality

Put your $$$ where your mouth is and don't be hypocrite

Packed toys don't always equal sales, sorry to bust your bubble

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Who is saying they can't sell it? As I mentioned PinballStar reported taking in a lot of deposits for the game. I think the price of the game is what is whats hurting it as this point. I just can't see spending $9k on any NIB pin.

Check out the poll?

A deposit is $250

Which they F ing lied about again.

You can't make this shit up, sorry.

I know its hard to break with it and get reality religion but you gotta get real

The $250 deposit is NOTHING, means NOTHING and JJP knows it

"We will be ready to ship games when we announce the next pin and no preorders"

Pitiful

I actually think Jack stood on stage and said we are doing this but we don't need your money now

#118 7 years ago

Somebody please give me some facts as to where i'm wrong?

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Somebody please give me some facts as to where i'm wrong?

I like you man but since this pins been announced you have been another level of annoyoying with the jjp le and price structure. So the only fact is your a freaking dam broken record.... so shut the hell up..... thank you and have a good evening.

#120 7 years ago

Quantum City too close to Sim City? Might get sued for infringement? I'm far from a lawyer. But don't worry Jack will need another title after the "Collector's Edition" is sold out. Butt Dialed Edition?

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I like you man but since this pins been announced you have been another level of annoyoying with the jjp le and price structure. So the only fact is your a freaking dam broken record.... so shut the hell up..... thank you and have a good evening.

I know, I'm annoying as shit right? Truth hurts though Nighty night

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

How about "Circuit City" instead? The license should already be free/vaporware.... LOL
I dont think it really matters what you name the game. At $9k, the name of the game is the last thing to keep me from buying it.

Circuit City is a bankrupt computer store - nah.

Dialed In Enterprises = D.I.E. unfortunate or brilliant? I would definitely go with brilliant, disaster pun
Dialed In - call for help and tuned up pinball. Pun again
Lots of throwback to honor other games. Also classic Lawlor.

I think gameplay and the intendedjokes will win out, over the initial meh reactions/ echo chamber.

The code and animations will be awesome ( Pat said it's only 20%)

Too early to make final judgements, I'm even beginning to like the title, given the intended joke.

And Panzer. - I copyrighted Quantum Mechanics in the other thread And posts should include ⚡️⚡️⚡️ (Unless it reminds us of Zidware)

#123 7 years ago

This is JJP's hard work and thought out design. I'm sure Pat made the name up. Don't disgrace his work. He/they can call it what they want like it or not.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Nah..Gattaca was a near perfect thinking sci-fi film though. The cat thing was in the intro to the 2010 "Repo Man".
Warning: there is a bit of blood in the end.
» YouTube video

Gattaca is a really good movie , it's been a while since I have seen it but I thought that since the charactor played by Ethan Hawke purchases the identity of Jude Law's charactor, making him both alive and dead . And I guess the box would be represented by the strand of hair that Ethan Hawke's charactor gives to Uma Thurman's charactor . But it was just a guess off the top of my head . I haven't seen repo man ( well I have seen the one with Emilio Estevez) . Anyways back to Dialed in a name change may help but i don't see it as a necessity . The theme of the game is not really a cell phone (its based on the fictional city )so it is a bit confusing but the game is fun to play (in my opinion this is tje best shooting JJP game to date)and I personally could get over the name of the game pretty quick . The price not so much , but it is pretty much on par with how JJP games have been priced so whatever I'm not buying one but it isn't because of the name .

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

This is JJP's hard work and thought out design. I'm sure Pat made the name up. Don't disgrace his work. He/they can call it what they want like it or not.

Yes they can, and sell as little as they want too

Nobody is owed anything. You have to earn respect every day in my world. Own up to mistakes, nobody is perfect. Just saying.

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Stupidity on their part

I think you need time to see them react to the feedback. Who would have thought they would have completely changed the playfield of TH after Expo last year?

I think they will look long and hard at the theme and weigh out the pros and cons of changing it.

There was a lot of positive feedback on the game as well. So good companies adapt as they get feedback from the market. Should they have gotten more outside feedback during the initial development cycle? Probably. Hopefully they modify their product development strategy and get more feedback sooner next time. The downside to that is now you have more people in the loop on your product (and no, NDA's don't always work). So there is a cost to getting feedback early in the cycle.

Either way I don't look at them as Stupid. The "greed" portion is really a business decision that may be more driven from their investors than Jack himself. I still think they will announce a standard anyway that will be 1K cheaper. Enough? Who knows.

Let this simmer for a bit...

#127 7 years ago

They have made the next move difficult. If the standard is full-featured it is likely to be 8k+. I don't think that is a big enough drop for good sales. In my opinion they will need to reduce the price on the LE. But just my opinion. I think it's possible all at JJP think this is going to sell in thousands without any reduction.

#128 7 years ago

"Quantum" is a meaningless buzzword in this context, it refers to things happening on a scale too small to have any bearing on day-to-day reality, such as the goings-on in a pinball machine.

Whereas "Dialed In" is a clever double entendre, referencing both telephony and the term for when one has their pinball machine properly set up and working 100%. Too clever, apparently!

#129 7 years ago

<Rudy voice> Fun?House

Its funny how most non pinheads can never remember the name of machines they have played.

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Gattaca is a really good movie , it's been a while since I have seen it but I thought that since the charactor played by Ethan Hawke purchases the identity of Jude Law's charactor, making him both alive and dead . And I guess the box would be represented by the strand of hair that Ethan Hawke's charactor gives to Uma Thurman's charactor . But it was just a guess off the top of my head . I haven't seen repo man ( well I have seen the one with Emilio Estevez) . Anyways back to Dialed in a name change may help but i don't see it as a necessity . The theme of the game is not really a cell phone (its based on the fictional city )so it is a bit confusing but the game is fun to play (in my opinion this is tje best shooting JJP game to date)and I personally could get over the name of the game pretty quick . The price not so much , but it is pretty much on par with how JJP games have been priced so whatever I'm not buying one but it isn't because of the name .

67a (resized).jpg67a (resized).jpg

#131 7 years ago

Just for the record and as if anyone cares about my opinion, LOL... I think "Dialed In" is fine.

#132 7 years ago

Does anyone else think the Jersey Jack badge on the head looks cheap?
Kind of looks like an afterthought and made to look generic.

logo (resized).jpglogo (resized).jpg

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from whocanitbenow:

I'm not a big fan of it. It's kind of big and obnoxious like Mercedes emblems have gotten over the year. I think it competes with the Game title for attention. That said, I don't find it any more off-putting or cheap looking than the Williams foil logo on the WPC pins.

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from whocanitbenow:

I hope they get rid of it or change it out to something smaller and with color. I think they were going for the "Williams" logo on wpc95 games but it certainly failed in that respect.

#135 7 years ago

Let's just do the obvious here - Jersey City Chaos

#136 7 years ago

Could they just call it "D.I.E."? That would be better than Dialed In and still keep most of the established (phone+disaster) imagery, right?

Also, the price is too high.

Also, Gattaca is an awesome movie. One of my all time favorites.

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Let's just do the obvious here - Jersey City Chaos

I've lived this.

#138 7 years ago

Here are some other ideas for names, story line and art would have to be tweaked a bit, but...

The Network
Wired
The labyrinth
Hacked
Connected
Sector 3
Sector City

#139 7 years ago

So how will renaming it change anything? The cell phone integration is an important feature and the main element in the game. I get wanting the art, callouts, music, features, etc changed but then you are designing a different game. If the game does not have the features and look that you want in a pin then don't buy it. Price is a far bigger issue for me but I see no need to demand a stripped down version just for me.

#140 7 years ago

Appears no name change from yesterday announcement. Between the name, theme, and the damn red and Ted toys, I'm out.
To bad, waited almost 2 year's for Pat's vision and JJP platform.....still dissapointed.
Saving money for game #4.
I would rather get a Black Arrow Hobbit for my buck.

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Appears no name change from yesterday announcement. Between the name, theme, and the damn red and Ted toys, I'm out.
To bad, waited almost 2 year's for Pat's vision and JJP platform.....still dissapointed.
Saving money for game #4.
I would rather get a Black Arrow Hobbit for my buck.

Jack said yesterday the name is going to be changed.

#142 7 years ago

Changing the name wont help the fact that there is a cell phone in the game, handy Manny on a stick, barb the builder with a wrench, and brutal audio......yes I've played it...remove/change those things and it's a killer game.

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Jack said yesterday the name is going to be changed.

But he quickly added that the new name will still contain the words "Dialed In", because those words are still central to the core game design.

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

But he quickly added that the new name will still contain the words "Dialed In", because those words are still central to the core game design.

Oh well. I am not sure that will make much difference then.

#145 7 years ago

Quantum City: Dialed In. There.

#146 7 years ago

How about Y2K? Or Y9K? Or Y12.5K?

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

How about Y2K? Or Y9K? Or Y12.5K?

Y2K was soooo yesterday.

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Changing the name wont help the fact that there is a cell phone in the game, handy Manny on a stick, barb the builder with a wrench, and brutal audio......yes I've played it...remove/change those things and it's a killer game.

I agree some of the toys are cheesy. Worst case modders get a hold of this game and make some of the cosmetic misses into hits.

phone (resized).jpgphone (resized).jpg

#149 7 years ago

A cell phone theme is the worst theme I can think of. It's like some super old guy thought "those kids now-a-days love their phones" and made a phone based game. Who cares about playing pinball with their cell phone in their hand? Selfies of playing? Anyone playing should have the same facial expression throughout the game. A super jackpot shouldn't spawn some huge facial reaction. Anyone that has those types of facial reactions on every little event on a pinball game is an a-hole - and is probably the same type of person that uses the word 'anywho' in conversation.

Just renaming this game would have an enormous benefit. It would back off from the theme being a cell phone based game and let people know it's a disaster based game - something much more interesting. I am super out on dialed in. I might be interested in Quantum City or Disaster City. Name change and removal of the stupid guy holding the phone on the art would be required.

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

A cell phone theme is the worst theme I can think of. It's like some super old guy thought "those kids now-a-days love their phones" and made a phone based game. Who cares about playing pinball with their cell phone in their hand? Selfies of playing? Anyone playing should have the same facial expression throughout the game. A super jackpot shouldn't spawn some huge facial reaction. Anyone that has those types of facial reactions on every little event on a pinball game is an a-hole - and is probably the same type of person that uses the word 'anywho' in conversation.
Just renaming this game would have an enormous benefit. It would back off from the theme being a cell phone based game and let people know it's a disaster based game - something much more interesting. I am super out on dialed in. I might be interested in Quantum City or Disaster City. Name change and removal of the stupid guy holding the phone on the art would be required.

Both of my boys (15 and 16) really could not get into the whole Dialed In theme. Neither was excited about the cell phone at all. Small sample set I know, but info none the less.

I think the name/theme does matter. Especially for operators. For us at home, I think we can get over it assuming we could get to play it on location I think that is what is needed for this theme. There were a ton of people that didn't play it at expo.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Lermods

There are 155 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-dialed-in-be-called-quantum-city-instead/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.