(Topic ID: 171089)

Should Dialed In be called "Quantum City" instead?

By PanzerFreak

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 155 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by libtech
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Dialed In be called "Quantum City" instead?”

• Yes! 253 votes
    76%
  • No! 78 votes
    24%

(331 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

phone (resized).jpg
logo (resized).jpg
67a (resized).jpg
6000sux (resized).jpg
8jbw2a (resized).jpg
IMG_0128 (resized).JPG
Dialed-In Sprint (resized).jpg

There are 155 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 7 years ago

If the game is good people will grow to love the name. Donkey Kong, Pac Man, etc. The names themselves don't mean anything until the games becomes popular.

#52 7 years ago

"Note 7 City".....wait save that one for the 2nd run of LEs.

#53 7 years ago

How about...

Turd Ferguson's Big Adventure

#54 7 years ago

Changing the name does not change the theme.

Who cares what the name is, it will always be a theme with a phone as a main plot.

And yes, off course this game can be fun, even better, it will be fun for sure. And yes, everybody wants to play fun games. But barely nobody will pay 10k for a fun game with a theme that has zero attraction.

The theme could be almost anything but this and pinside would explode from happyness. Even with this steep price.

If they are gonne sell 1k units i would be surprised.

#55 7 years ago

And what's up with the 2106 mick on a stick?
What's this guy's story? Is he Bob the electrician?

#56 7 years ago

as other has stated the price point is the main thing killing the hype of this game imo.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

as other has stated the price point is the main thing killing the hype of this game imo.

9K is on par with the other JJP titles right? WOZ RR 9K, Smaug SE was 9K right?

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Design by committee sucks. Give Pat's vision a chance people. Who the F cares what it's called?

I think, over time, the title will be a non-issue . The game looks slick. That's all that will matter over the long haul. I kind of dig the cheesy 50s Saturday matinee look of the title too.

I can see this doing very well on routes with all of the slick gimmicks. The $9K price is certainly steep though. I hope this silly pricing comes back down to Earth just a little.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

9K is on par with the other JJP titles right? WOZ RR 9K, Smaug SE was 9K right?

Almost, but I belive the actual se is 12500, the 'le' isnt limited at all lol

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Almost, but I belive the actual se is 12500, the 'le' isnt limited at all lol

LE doesn't mean anything in pinball anymore...they didn't do that before 2000 right? Didn't Stern start this concept? and then created a premium and super premium (or whatever that BM66 15K pin is)???

They should just list the model and specs. You can call it Standard, Deluxe, Premium whatever. They perhaps should just start calling LE's Collectors Edition or something like that.

How many is a good, or correct, number of LEs anyway? 400? 100? 1000? What's the point if manufactures can make as many LE's as they want?

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

How about...
Turd Ferguson's Big Adventure

LOVE the theme. I'm in.

Big Hat topper!

IMG_0128 (resized).JPGIMG_0128 (resized).JPG

#62 7 years ago

Can anyone get past the price-crazy time

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

Can anyone get past the price-crazy time

That's the main issue for many, more and more people are now priced out of the market. With WOZ and TH there was a lower price point for early buyers but not this time for Dialed In.

I can't really blame JJP for wanting to charge $9k for Dialed In LE when Stern is trying to charge $10k for a Batman 66 LE that looks far less impressive and has a lot less going on it. Regardless, both Stern and JJP need to understand that the market for $9k+ pins is not big and that they are limiting their customers base and sales by charging these insane prices.

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Would you buy an awesome game called Clownfart Penis Adventure?

Probably just because of that. If it was fun.

#65 7 years ago

As others have said price not branding is the issue. Had it been say a couple of thousand less everyone would be slapping pat on the back saying hey "dialled in" like when you get a pinball machine working 110% that's funny shit... Etc ... Also the fact that Jack thinks he can put the letters LE in front a game with no production limits is just getting silly and disrespectful to the collectors in our hobby.

#66 7 years ago

I agree. I have to admit even at a 1000 units. How special is something anyway?

Quoted from SimonBaird:As others have said price not branding is the issue. Had it been say a couple of thousand less everyone would be slapping pat on the back saying hey "dialled in" like when you get a pinball machine working 110% that's funny shit... Etc ... Also the fact that Jack thinks he can put the letters LE in front a game with no production limits is just getting silly and disrespectful to the collectors in our hobby.

I agree. I have to admit even at a 1000 units. How special is something anyway? My hope is that sales will stall and they will have to drop prices. People need to vote with their wallets. I will not be paying 9K for any pinball machine anytime soon. Simply not worth it to me.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

In honor of it being revealed in Chicago, I'd rename it "the Mistake by the Lake"

Sorry, that's already taken - Cleveland, OH

#68 7 years ago

Quagmire City

8jbw2a (resized).jpg8jbw2a (resized).jpg

#69 7 years ago

Quantum City does sound better and better describes the theme.

#70 7 years ago

I think it would be a good marketing tool if JJP said they would sell the game at 8k till the end of 2016. Then they could make an internal decision whether to increase after they see how sales go.
At 8k I would be in but at 9K just cant do.

#71 7 years ago

Quantum City Chaos it is!

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Quantum City Chaos it is!

Quantum Chaos - makes for a good alternative too.

#73 7 years ago

I voted yes but in the final analysis it doesn't matter.

I really liked playing this pin and I ended up with a Dialed In t- shirt.

#74 7 years ago

No. pat is an artist with a vision and an idea. He was able to execute his game and this is what he wanted and what he believes in. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Or buy it and paint over the back glass.

#75 7 years ago

A "Disaster City" subtitle might be nice, it could help indicate the underlying concept.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#76 7 years ago

Scrap the whole art package

Science theme would be sweet. Work in quantum city, Schrodinger's cat, entanglement & time dilation. Instead of a cell phone make it a graviton communication device allowing us to call other dimensions.

Also put some weed & doughnut references in the callouts to make me happy.... and price it @ $5K

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

ended up with a Dialed In t- shirt.

Picture please. I have to see this shirt.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

No. pat is an artist with a vision and an idea. He was able to execute his game and this is what he wanted and what he believes in. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Or buy it and paint over the back glass.

Pat doesn't run JJP

Folks have said not even Jack runs JJP now

Everyone has to answer to someone & accept orders

I dont beleive this game is 100% Pat.

#79 7 years ago

make the official acronym QCC!

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Science theme would be sweet. Work in quantum city, Schrodinger's cat, entanglement & time dilation

Ha...You know your physics. Nerd!

Trivia: which Jude Law movie tried to explain Schrodinger's cat?

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Ha...You know your physics. Nerd!
Trivia: which Jude Law movie tried to explain Schrodinger's cat?

Not sure. I could google it but that would be cheating!

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

They should name it 9grand

14grand can be the name of the official Canadian version.

The Canadian CE's name has a real ring to it, the 18.5grand! 20k by Xmas!

#83 7 years ago

I voted change the name, but the deal breaker is the $9k.

#84 7 years ago

Meltdown Metropolis, or MM for short....no wait, that's taken.

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Quantum Chaos - makes for a good alternative too.

+1

#86 7 years ago

"Quantum" doesn't tell you anything either. Should be an [actionable word] "City"

Artwork is fine. A better name plastered over it and people will be happy.

#87 7 years ago

I talked to Ted Estes briefly at the show and mentioned that I really enjoyed the game, but didn't really think the name was going to do a lot for it. He said they agonized over what to call it for a long time - tried all sorts of different things that ultimately they decided wouldn't work. It's too hard to sum up what the game is in a word or two, I guess.

Whatever the name is, I thought the game was fun. The pricing is just too high for me to ever buy one.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

"Quantum" doesn't tell you anything either. Should be an [actionable word] "City"

"Quantum City Chaos" tells you that it is a modern or futuristic city in chaos. If I understand the general premise of the game that is what it is about beyond the cell phone being there.

#89 7 years ago

... from the JJP group but "Momjeans McCellphone" made me chuckle

#90 7 years ago

How about "Killer App", didn't they have that trademarked as well? Could maybe be the game name, it's more current and isn't the phone a secret weapon? I'ts also the same number of letters as "Dialed in!", if you include the exclamation mark, which might make it easy to change to.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

How about "Killer App", didn't they have that trademarked as well? Could maybe be the game name, it's more current and isn't the phone a secret weapon? I'ts also the same number of letters as "Dialed in!", if you include the exclamation mark, which might make it easy to change to.

You really think Killer App is a better name?

#92 7 years ago

How about Super Selfie LE?

#93 7 years ago

Butt dial

Lol I'm such a kid

#94 7 years ago

Killer App is a better name than Dialed In.

It at least sounds cool.

#95 7 years ago

Well, it's a current term and has a double meaning and the game is about a phone that can cause mass destruction, so yeah.

#96 7 years ago

It's not a big deal to me. I've had ugly games or ones without great names before. If it's fun, I'd buy it. I'ts the price more than the name of this thing that's keeping me from getting excited about it.

#97 7 years ago

The name is fine, its the giant cell phone and selfies, that's just lame. I have no doubt this pin will be fun, damn fun but I wouldn't want it as part of my collection, it will do well out in the wild that's for sure.

#98 7 years ago

How about 9000 SUX?

Oh, wait. Potential copyright issues.

6000sux (resized).jpg6000sux (resized).jpg

#99 7 years ago

I think the whole selfie obsession in our culture is ridiculous as well, but man do I like the novelty of this feature in this game. I'm thinking of how funny I find those snapshots of people on roller coasters and I think it's a neat gimmick to snap you when you jackpot, drain or tilt. Plus, I get to play with a bunch of pretty wild pinheads and I'm sure there would be some great photobombing going on! Can't wait to get the chance to try this one.

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Quantum" doesn't tell you anything either. Should be an [actionable word] "City"

I dunno man, needs more than name change, the game is a bit easy from what I hear. May end up suffering from LOTR syndrome (long ass ball time). But the name changes is a good start, the next thing get rid of the chessy Lego looking figures, the power co man should be a zeus like figure or a thunderbolt looking humanoid thingy so his entire body can flash. Better yet just make it two crossed thunderbolts, no Lego man. The lady in the back can be statue akin to Lady Liberty instead of the likeness of a real woman.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 155 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-dialed-in-be-called-quantum-city-instead/page/2?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.