New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 171089)

Should Dialed In be called "Quantum City" instead?

By PanzerFreak

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 155 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by libtech
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Dialed In be called "Quantum City" instead?”

• Yes! 253 votes
    77%
  • No! 77 votes
    23%

(330 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

phone (resized).jpg
logo (resized).jpg
67a (resized).jpg
6000sux (resized).jpg
8jbw2a (resized).jpg
IMG_0128 (resized).JPG
Dialed-In Sprint (resized).jpg

There are 155 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 4 years ago

I'm creating this thread in hope that JJP sees it as it sounds like the biggest issue with Dialed In, besides the high price, is the name of the game itself.

Pat Lawlor said that the game takes place in a fictional city called "Quantum City". Personally I think "Quantum City" is a far better name then dialed in and generates excitement.

Cabinet artwork also seems lackluster and could be replaced by the city itself.

The phone toy itself seems awesome and innovative but should not be the main theme of the game as the player is a super hero with a powerful cell phone...that just sounds kinda lame.

#2 4 years ago

Yes it should, but take a look at the game. The name "Dialed-in" is everywhere. There are a set of inserts that spell out "Dialed In", it is written on the playfield between the flippers. On the side of the cab, on the backglass, it's everywhere.

I think it would be a TON of work to "just change the name".

I think in the end, if the game play is awesome, the name is just a name and we can eventually get over it.

Price is the real issue here.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Yes it should, but take a look at the game. The name "Dialed-in" is everywhere. There are a set of inserts that spell out "Dialed In", it is written on the playfield between the flippers. On the side of the cab, on the backglass, it's everywhere.
I think in the end, if the game play is awesome, the name is just a name and we can eventually get over it.

inserts could stay and be turned into a mode, the rest of the art package could be changed along with the cabinet. i like the idea of taking some of the attention off the phone itself and giving it to the character

#4 4 years ago

The name, art, and major toy on the game all convey Magic Cell Phone Kid Superhero, but ryanwanger's account is Sim City Disaster. It seems similar to if CFTBL was named "Snack Bar". Quantum City actually sounds cool.

#5 4 years ago

To be clear, I think it would be a huge improvement to change the name to Quantum City

#6 4 years ago

They haven't built the games yet - and they don't need license approval. JJP could rename and re theme the art if they chose to do so.

AND, I honestly don't think ANYONE would complain.

Phone part of the game - fine. Phone THE game - no.

#7 4 years ago

Quantam City is a cool name, but I think everyone wouldn't care so much if people could afford this thing. It has some neat features that could do well on location, but only the high dollar locations will plop down this kinda money for an unlicensed theme that may be a gamble.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

They haven't built the games - and they don't need license approval. JJP could rename and re theme the side art if they chose to do so.

Would be really interesting if they thought the backlash was bad enough to do this, since this is supposedly a finished game with complete code shipping Q2. They sure turned Hobbit from zero to hero with the art change, but it was years before the game shipped.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Would be really interesting if they thought the backlash was bad enough to do this, since this is supposedly a finished game with complete code shipping Q2. They sure turned Hobbit from zero to hero with the art change, but it was years before the game shipped.

Aren't the Super LE's shipping before the end of the year for Dialed In? If that's the case I think they're past the point of no return.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Aren't the Super LE's shipping before the end of the year for Dialed In? If that's the case I think they're past the point of no return.

GOT LE shipped with the playfield art everyone hated then they fixed it (they tried to anyway) for the Premium, who knows.

But yeah, I think because they wanted to reveal this game and have it out the door in months they're not going to completely repackage it.

#11 4 years ago

Unfortunately, the design behind closed doors was intended to prevent this type of revamp thing. If we want a game shortly after the reveal, as the stern model regularly presents, we need to live with the design. That being said, I agree, quantum city would be much more appealing. Redo the cab, back glass, leave dialed in on the pf, and maybe lose the cheesy cellphone rope light??? Make the phone part of the theme, not THE theme.

#12 4 years ago

worthless thread - it will never happen
graphics done, promotional material done, comic book printed

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Yeah... this ^^^^^ (should it/will it, not the same with investors and the business to consider.)

#14 4 years ago

Maybe "Quantum City Chaos"?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Maybe "Quantum City Chaos"?

That was the sequel to River City Ransom, right?

#16 4 years ago

I don't even like the name "Quantum City", it sounds like a Sim City knockoff circa 2005.

#17 4 years ago

Big time, it would change the feel much for the better. As mentioned not sure on the timeline if it could be done they may already have 500 playfields printed etc. But look how much it improved the look of the hobbit listening and giving your customers what they want.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

That was the sequel to River City Ransom, right?

Funny, River City Random popped into my head too when reading this (quantum city chaos).

#19 4 years ago

Actually, "Quantum City Chaos" is really an awesome name.

Aside from all the other issues already identified, "Dialed In" just sounds like it was phoned in. Heh.

So "Quantum City" seems more broad and inviting, literally: sounds like a place (and a game) you might want to check out. And then suddenly you're transformed from a mere tourist, into the city's hollywood hope!

But "Quantum City Chaos"... man, that's catchy as hell. And if "Quantum City" by itself sounds too generic and sci-fi trope-ish, Quantum City CHAOS perfectly illustrates what the game is about and what you're about to encounter. And it's catchy.

But Dialed In... ugh. Nice name for a mode, but for the game? Awful.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I have heard this before in business.

Someone needs to play the chess game forward.

The people here on Pinside may be a PITA, but they also know the pinball community. That includes Ops who know who pays for pinball out in the wild. There would be the hard costs of rebranding the product as well as the cash flow delays. Bump that up against the margin lost on X number of units.

If it was my chess game, I would go for the rebrand (door #1). I think the sunk costs would be worth writing off and you would be net ahead in the long run.

Door #2 is much more expensive (i.e. stuck with inventory and having to lower prices to sell anything because your customer base cannot identify with your product).

Just my 2 cents....

#21 4 years ago

They should name it 9grand

#22 4 years ago

Damn, the more I think about "Quantum City Chaos", the more I like it. Here's another reason it's great:

From the start, JJP touted and pinheads hoped that this original, unlicensed theme - being designed by the legendary Lawlor - might mark a return to 90's B/W charm, right?

Well what title works best as an homage to that era, as the "4th in the series" of Unlicensed Lawlor greats Earthshaker, Whirwind and Road Show: "Dialed In", or "Quantum City Chaos"? Hell, QCChaos perfectly implies earthquakes, tornadoes, and infrastructure amuck all in one. What better way to hint at, and celebrate, this connection to (and modernization of) pinball history?

#23 4 years ago

Quantum City Chaos sounds great. Heck the robot in the back could be called the "Quantum Mechanic".

#24 4 years ago

D*ck fingers.

#25 4 years ago

maybe just change the name to - Disaster -

works on a few levels

Theme aside - this has got to be the single crappiest title ever

#27 4 years ago

Like I said last night. Quantum Meltdown would be much better.

#28 4 years ago

Design by committee sucks. Give Pat's vision a chance people. Who the F cares what it's called?

#29 4 years ago

Panzer I love ya but you're too late my friend. Will never happen.

#30 4 years ago

Quantam City is a MUCH richer pin title and is the kind of name that would draw you in to want to learn more. It also suggests scale. There must be a lot to see in Quantam City right? When I hear Dialed In, I think of how do you make the phone work and that's about it. Changing the art direction and making it cohesive would go a LONG way to help as well. To me the two different art styles do not mesh well at all.

Cabinet/playfield = 90's Nintendo Power magazine art
LCD = Sim City art

With some fairly easy to accomplish tweaks JJP and Pat could save this game and make it a collector piece rather than just a good or potentially great playing game.

Also drop the price to 7k!

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Design by committee sucks. Give Pat's vision a chance people. Who the F cares what it's called?

Apparently a lot of people.
Seems like the easiest part of designing and building a machine is coming up with the name.
Maybe they should've hired JPOP for name creation.

#32 4 years ago

Maybe just co-brand it with a cell phone company while they're at it:

Dialed-In Sprint (resized).jpg

#33 4 years ago

Was holding off ordering a WOZ for this announcement. After seeing and hearing the name I was totally turned off. Game has a ton of potential thou if they change the name and modifying the theme. Looks like WOZ it is for me...

#34 4 years ago

Dialed In is perfect. I mean that's what we've been expecting for the last year. As long as the game plays great, who cares what it's called?

#35 4 years ago

I think this is all overblown.

JJP certainly did themselves no favors with their astoundingly low-quality, amateur stream. We all watched it, had the same "WTF" reaction, came here, and got ourselves worked up in the echo chamber. It's good that we're starting to calm down, but the problem is not the name.

A truly new, unlicensed theme was never going win people over on the strength of the theme, and certainly not on the strength of its name. In the end, the question is if the game is fun. Name it Dialed In or name it Quantum City, neither is going to move the needle in the end.

#36 4 years ago

Price this game at <$7k shipped and i bet we'd see a completely different reaction.

Give it some time and as the story and design of the pin unfolds, Dialed In will make sense. I think it looks great. But that pricetag just has me shaking my head. But it goes back to the 'ol pinside saying, "if it's priced right, it will sell" and that goes for all these new pins, not just JJP.

#37 4 years ago

The title doesn't bother me as much as the mom-jeans 90's guy with no expression all over the cabinet, playfield, and backglass. I hope they'll consider revising that character into something more contemporary, appealing, and exciting....or maybe make each one a different character...show some diversity!

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Dialed In is perfect. I mean that's what we've been expecting for the last year. As long as the game plays great, who cares what it's called?

Quoted from DrJoe:

I agree and deposit is being sent... i also know quite a few others that are in ...

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Unfortunately, the design behind closed doors was intended to prevent this type of revamp thing. If we want a game shortly after the reveal, as the stern model regularly presents, we need to live with the design. That being said, I agree, quantum city would be much more appealing. Redo the cab, back glass, leave dialed in on the pf, and maybe lose the cheesy cellphone rope light??? Make the phone part of the theme, not THE theme.

Well Stern did tweak GOT after the uproar over it's art package.

#40 4 years ago

How about "Circuit City" instead? The license should already be free/vaporware.... LOL

I dont think it really matters what you name the game. At $9k, the name of the game is the last thing to keep me from buying it.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Yeah, but Jack reworked the art on TH when everyone complained

IMHO it would need more than a name change . Just not excited by this machine

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Yeah, but Jack reworked the art on TH when everyone complained
IMHO it would need more than a name change . Just not excited by this machine

Yeah, I don't think changing the title will benefit Jack in any way. The REAL blowback on this is price, followed by lack of appreciation for the theme. Hopefully he can convince enough ops to buy it so people can play it on location...then it can get a reputation through people actually having gameplay experience on it.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Would you buy an awesome game called Clownfart Penis Adventure?

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Yes

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Maybe that is funny and at least creative...

#46 4 years ago

In honor of it being revealed in Chicago, I'd rename it "the Mistake by the Lake"

#47 4 years ago

Reminds me a bit of the Hobbit expo reveal (but worse) - and JJP turned that around (in my opinion - I still got one and love playing)

#48 4 years ago

Call it Qualcomm City!

#49 4 years ago

'Dialed In: Disaster Zone' would do a better job of summing up the whole theme with the minimum of change.

#50 4 years ago

Quantum Defender.

Defend Quantum City as it a city under attack....bla bla bla.....etc etc etc

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Simpsonville, SC
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
There are 155 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside