(Topic ID: 217763)

Should Cocktail Pinballs be made again?

By PinballNZ

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should they make Cocktail pinballs again?”

• Yes , with a good cabinet design, game play - whats not to like! 31 votes
      39%
    • No, they didn't sell well before , why would they now? 34 votes
      43%
    • Not Sure - depends on the design, playability and cost. 14 votes
      18%

(79 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

717e9e9a805bd29910bf6eda94822832a122bb7f (resized).jpg
    IMG_9642 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9641 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9640 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9638 (resized).JPG
    5211410e887a6dfd9143b0b791b49d87cee0cc18.jpg
    70e838fca0f8f1807e40763ef55d0b30609a18f2.jpg
    ccruise02 (resized).jpg
    ccruise01 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    image-9 (resized).jpg
    soccerball2 (resized).jpg
    alving_soccerball1 (resized).jpg
    image-5 (resized).jpg
    Cocktail (resized).jpg
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

As a Night Moves owner who enjoys playing this style of game ( once I get it going again!) I was wondering if this style could make it in today's market?

1. In theory it should be cheaper to make than a standard pinball
    2. Takes up a little less room than a standard game and can be used as a normal table if not in use.
    3. Playability - this is a tricky one - the more features, the higher the Bill Of Materials - do you add ramps or subways? Given the smaller amount of real estate to create a game that is both fun and challenging it is an interesting point.
    4. Dare I say it but could you put a lower playfield in e.g Elektra or Black Hole ( Again BOM will skyrocket with this)
    5. Maybe a basic pf design ( similar to Night Moves or Carribean Cruise) if cheap enough could encourage more kids in arcades to get the "pinball bug", probably would have to be a ticket redemption game for this to work.

What do you guys/ girls think?

Could be a good Homepin project for the future?

Clive

#2 5 years ago

I don' know how well they'd go over but i'd serouosly lok at one for the weirdness alone.

#3 5 years ago

I'm open to anything that advances creativity in pinball design and sometimes it's best to look to the past. A cocktail pin would also attract a different kind of buyer as well as the hard core collector. Options for buyers are never a bad thing and the one complaint I can give in these recent boom years of the big pinball companies is playing it safe, we need some early SS creativity once again.

#4 5 years ago

It would be cool but not going to happen. For what it would cost them to design and build it, they’d have to sell it for $5k-$6k and everyone on Pinside would bitch about the price.

#5 5 years ago

Throwing in my two cents: Working/repairing the circuit boards on these with your head below your waist is a real pain. I would never own any again.

#6 5 years ago

As none of the big manufactures ever made them, I'd say no

#7 5 years ago

Only if they remake Rotation 8!

rd

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Throwing in my two cents: Working/repairing the circuit boards on these with your head below your waist is a real pain. I would never own any again.

With modern electronics everything could be below the playfield. And just unplug node boards.
    So just lift it and sit in a chair to work on eveything.

I would love to see this happen. So I probably never will.

However, I would rather see a modern 2 player vs coffee table type pin.
    Similar to Joust. But with magnets and wireform ramps.

#9 5 years ago

I’ve got one wall in the living room that would be perfect for a modern day single level TNA-esque throwback cocktail pin.

Most of the cabs were just so ugly to begin with and the gameplay was usually so-so, compared to their larger counterparts.

If a major manufacturer could make a sleek modern cabinet with a lower cost The Pin 2.0 style boardset and mechs, I think they’d sell a decent amount for under $3k.

Especially if the manufacturer sold new modular drop-in games/kits ala Heighway, P3 and P2K.

I’d definitely be in for one.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Especially if the manufacturer sold new modular drop-in games/kits ala Heighway, P3 and P2K.

Hmmm...maybe a cocktail P3. A cocktail cabinet into which you could install the same upper-playfield modules that work in the regular P3. That would be pretty wild. What do you think gstellenberg ?

#11 5 years ago

Andrew Heighway wanted one - I don't know how far Dave Sanders went with the design of that table. The LCD display on the PF would have been perfect.

#12 5 years ago

It's a no brainier! There convenient, commercial and compact!

#13 5 years ago

I could see people who would be interested in them.

Two player head-to-head games might also be desirable, especially on location in bars (as long as they don't take up too much space).

That new pong table seemed pretty popular at pinfest a few weeks back, and the head-to-head cocktail pin I brought the previous year seemed to get a lot of play.

#14 5 years ago

They didn't go over big back in the day so why would they now? Just like head to head pinball, it never did catch on either.

John

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

They didn't go over big back in the day so why would they now? Just like head to head pinball, it never did catch on either.
    John

I think if they were cheaper than a standard pin they could do quite well, as long as the game play was good. I realise that history says they wouldn't do well but times have changed . What didn't work then may work now. They would never outsell standard size games but would give people a different option to choose from. Different style bases could be created. People have already replied to this thread with different ideas that could be used.
    In all likelyhood they will never be made again, but with todays designers and engineers I am sure they could put some cool and maybe even NEW design features to compensate for the smaller playfield.
    Clive

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

John

There's a lot more home collectors now?

#17 5 years ago

Indeed,
    John’s forgetting that the majority of today’s buyers are home enthusiasts that would probably prefer a sweet compact Pinball machine which could ALSO double as an end table when not in use, rather than JUST a basic small end table.

I know I would. Even though it costs waaay more than said basic end table.

It really boils down to a creative and fun layout as the Archer/Maiden layout proved earlier.
    If it shoots well and uses the provided layout to the fullest, I think it would be a slam dunk.
    Keep the themes in the classic genres and unlicensed to save on cost, all while providing the artist/designer total freedom to create something special.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There's a lot more home collectors now?

Correct, that's probably what 75% of Sterns and the others sales are now and maybe 25% operator? I just don't see Collectors putting one in there home. What would be the cost? $3000+? They would have to sell a huge boat load of them just to break even. I've had at least two that I can think of over the years and there both long gone now.

John

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Andrew Heighway wanted one - I don't know how far Dave Sanders went with the design of that table. The LCD display on the PF would have been perfect.

Well if HE was planning on doing one you know it’s a sound idea that couldn’t possibly lead to financial ruin!

They were always a neat novelty but I just don’t think it works for pinball.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They were always a neat novelty but I just don’t think it works for pinball.

It won't sell thousands for sure. But if the project is viable with a few hundreds - Spooky scale - why not?
    I could be tempted.
    Real advantage for me is that, space being limited, the wife wouldn't count it as a pinball machine and it would end in the living room near the sofa... it's also a fun way to initiate new people as it is far less intimidating than a real pinball machine.

Rotation VIII is not exactly of tournament caiiber (far from it !), but it's fun for casual play.

#21 5 years ago

If there were just the right theme for cocktails and pinballs...hmmm maybe that's why I love my Night Moves so much I did love that movie Cocktail growing up, I swore by this time I'd be on a beach somewhere, flipping bottles and mixing drinks in a night club! lol

Cocktail (resized).jpgCocktail (resized).jpg

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Indeed,
    John’s forgetting that the majority of today’s buyers are home enthusiasts that would probably prefer a sweet compact Pinball machine which could ALSO double as an end table when not in use, rather than JUST a basic small end table.
    I know I would. Even though it costs waaay more than said basic end table.
    It really boils down to a creative and fun layout as the Archer/Maiden layout proved earlier.
    If it shoots well and uses the provided layout to the fullest, I think it would be a slam dunk.
    Keep the themes in the classic genres and unlicensed to save on cost, all while providing the artist/designer total freedom to create something special.

And then maybe it could save a few more vintage machines from being hacked into ugly monstrosity coffee table furniture!

#23 5 years ago

Yes, they would be great for those of us that are out of space. A modern table style pin would a cool theme would sell well, heck they’d be great for kids rooms. I do wish a modern joust style head to head would be made.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yes, they would be great for those of us that are out of space. A modern table style pin would a cool theme would sell well, heck they’d be great for kids rooms. I do wish a modern joust style head to head would be made.

A head to head with some opto sensors to also allow computer interaction for single player with the kids maybe?

#25 5 years ago

Yes, they should make them again.
    To late to add a poll?
    With the p-3 system, mirco playfields, these could be done in the 3k list price range.

#26 5 years ago

Never happen, they would cost more, not less, than a standard pin. How many wives would want a black pressboard thing in their living rooms? In order to “work” as a furniture item it would have to be made in hardwood and finished. Wayyyy more money.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Never happen, they would cost more, not less, than a standard pin. How many wives would want a black pressboard thing in their living rooms? In order to “work” as a furniture item it would have to be made in hardwood and finished. Wayyyy more money.

Veneer costs more than full graphics?

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

How many wives would want a black pressboard thing in their living rooms?

Mine already has three pinball machines in her living room. She’d love to add something that could hold a chess board and some candles.

#29 5 years ago

Couldn't you just buy a bar stool and you'd have about the same thing?

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Yes, they should make them again.
    To late to add a poll?
    With the p-3 system, mirco playfields, these could be done in the 3k list price range.

It would cost around the same to build one of these as a full size pin if you think about it.

- same development costs
    - similar playfield cost
    - same electronics cost
    - same labour costs
    - similar parts costs (same flippers, slings etc)
    - cabinet much the same
    Etc
    Etc

Maybe $3999 like a Spider-Man Home Edition? That’d be a fair comparison.

Honestly, I don’t see a huge queue forming to buy a new cocktail. A few, for sure. Maybe a good project for a small outfit.

rd

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

It would cost around the same to build one of these as a full size pin if you think about it.
    - same development costs
    - similar playfield cost
    - same electronics cost
    - same labour costs
    - similar parts costs (same flippers, slings etc)
    - cabinet much the same
    Etc
    Etc
    Maybe $3999 like a Spider-Man Home Edition? That’d be a fair comparison.
    Honestly, I don’t see a huge queue forming to buy a new cocktail. A few, for sure. Maybe a good project for a small outfit.
    rd

As much as I want to see a new iteration of the cocktail I hate to say it but I think your right, the clientele just isn't there.

#32 5 years ago

One of the many problems with a cocktail - besides that they make pretty crappy pinball games - is that they don’t even make a very good table.

You ever try to use one as a table? There’s really nowhere for your knees
    To go.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

One of the many problems with a cocktail - besides that they make pretty crappy pinball games - is that they don’t even make a very good table.
    You ever try to use one as a table? There’s really nowhere for your knees
    To go.

Ok most are pretty crappy but not the Gottlieb/International Concepts games (1989 Night Moves & 1990 Caribbean Cruise), both original concepts and kinda shows you what would happen if a professional team were on building one! If you use the optional bases that raise them up a foot or so they actually will make a killer bar table man.

#34 5 years ago

Are we starting to get into tall pub tables with a couple bar stools and a mini playfield machine with undersized balls built in?

#35 5 years ago

This is the reality of the arcade/pinball collector....

Cocktail pinball and video games take up MORE space than their full scale counterparts.
    Ask anyone who has a large home arcade. They'll tell you. These things serve no purpose.

#36 5 years ago

Never played a cocktail pin. It would be fun to see what a modern head to head pinball game would be like. Doubt it would sell well, though. I know I would rather have a regular full size pin if I am going to spend a lot on a game.

Better solution would be for two pins to be able to play head to head using the internet. Pins could be side by side or 1000s of miles apart. You could have streaming video of each others gameplay and be able to chat. I guess coding would get a lot more complicated but that's where everything else is heading.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

As none of the big manufactures ever made them, I'd say no

Both Gottlieb and Williams made them.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

This is the reality of the arcade/pinball collector....
    Cocktail pinball and video games take up MORE space than their full scale counterparts.
    Ask anyone who has a large home arcade. They'll tell you. These things serve no purpose.

Two traditional "80's style" video games back to back take up around the same space as one Pinball game.

#39 5 years ago

I think if you had a 2 player cocktail pin that was tight and fast with lots of ramps and crazy wireforms (like roller coaster tycoon) that spit the ball directly toward your opponent it could be a fun challenge. Add in multiball, it would be chaos. You could also maximize on space by putting small lcd screens in the game above ramps or lanes to vary points and strategy. The constant two way battle of lining up your shot and defending from and incoming ball

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Both Gottlieb and Williams made them.

Williams? What cocktail did they build?

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Williams? What cocktail did they build?

I'm unsure about Williams but Bally/Midway certainly did - "Rotation VIII":

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2019&picno=11133&zoom=1

#42 5 years ago

From what I can gather is that the Cocktail Table format is not successful, as a revenue generator. What Bartender or Bouncer is going to ask a drinking customer to move away from the table if they were not playing it. If the table is with other games in a combined games area, the Cocktail Table format does marginally better.

#43 5 years ago

Williams built Joust.

image-5 (resized).jpgimage-5 (resized).jpg

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

Williams built Joust.

Not a cocktail.

#45 5 years ago

That's what I always kind of felt too but it is, what else would you call it?

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

That's what I always kind of felt too but it is, what else would you call it?

Head to Head pinball.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

I'm unsure about Williams but Bally/Midway certainly did - "Rotation VIII":
    http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2019&picno=11133&zoom=1
    » YouTube video

Rotation VIII was just Midway I believe. I bought two of them from an operator in Devil's Elbow, Mo for $155.00 each in 1987. Could not keep them running and sold them both later.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Head to Head pinball.

Correct.

#49 5 years ago

It's also in that range of that Alvin Gottlieb soccer or football 2 player? But it's shorter than them and has woodgrain, I still say its a cocktail. It also has the notoriety of being the most expensive cocktail out there.

alving_soccerball1 (resized).jpgalving_soccerball1 (resized).jpg
    soccerball2 (resized).jpgsoccerball2 (resized).jpg

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Rotation VIII was just Midway I believe. I bought two of them from an operator in Devil's Elbow, Mo for $155.00 each in 1987. Could not keep them running and sold them both later.

...a Bally co. lol

image-9 (resized).jpgimage-9 (resized).jpg

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-cocktail-pinballs-be-made-again?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.