(Topic ID: 102005)

Should Centaur's outhole kicker solenoid have a diode on the coil?

By Collin

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by _litz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey all,

I had the outhole kicker solenoid in my Centaur lock on a few days ago. I stupidly just replaced the transistor, and left the resistor and diode on the driver board alone. Now it's locked on and the transistor is fried again. I'll replace the transistor, resistors, and diode on the driver board, as suggested on Pinwiki.

Pinwiki says to replace coil diodes as well. There's no diode on the coil currently. Should there be one?

Also, am I correct in thinking these solenoid driver boards have two resistors for each solenoid?

#2 9 years ago

Yes, all coils need diodes. Yes, two transistors, two resistors, a diode and a cap.

#3 9 years ago

even the schematic agrees... its on the solenoid expander page

#4 9 years ago

Thanks, both of you! Is a 1n4004 suitable?

#5 9 years ago

1N4004 is fine, that's what's listed in the schematics too.

#6 9 years ago

Just don't wire it backwards... I did that once a long time ago.... Not good...

Rob

#7 9 years ago

Just to clarify, banded side goes toward the daisy-chained power wire, correct?

*edit* (post originally said "ground" instead of "power" - edited so I won't inadvertently confuse anyone who reads this thread in the future.)

#8 9 years ago

The daisy chained wire is power...brown, yellow or orange typically. That is the wire that goes to the banded end, yes. When in doubt look at other coils (but not flippers).

#9 9 years ago

Cool. That's how I came up with it, was looking at the other coils. I trust people with more experience over my own intuition when it comes to this stuff, though.

#10 9 years ago

It should be noted, you can ALWAYS put a diode on a coil, even on games (like WPC) where the power boards have diodes integrated into the circuit. Just make sure the banded side of the diode connects to your voltage source.

It's just extra insurance against voltage spikes from the collapsing magnet field of the coil.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-centaurs-outhole-kicker-solenoid-have-a-diode-on-the-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.