(Topic ID: 191788)

Should Budgie be the next rock band themed game?

By o-din

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by beepnutz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3873 (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    2756 (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    2757 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    s-l300 (resized).jpg
    budgie (resized).jpg
    budgie (resized).jpg

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago

I saw them too with Wall of Voodoo in 80 or 81. WOV killed it that night, XTC not so much. Besides maybe the last couple songs they did, the sound quality or performance in general was terrible.

#52 2 years ago

I never thought they were good in Concert....Saw the same show in Privates, in NYC....WOV, I agree killed!

ahh...the 80's! Might as well have a Flock of Seagulls Pin!

#53 2 years ago

The Vapors put on a surprisingly good show. "I think I'm turning Japanese!"

#54 2 years ago

Gotta share it!

Or, if we get a wall...this is is all we will get!

#55 2 years ago

I don't think Mexican Radio wasn't even out yet when I saw WOV. But we did get this.

#56 2 years ago

Better memory than me.....But things were very Crazy in NY, then!

I guess we are too old for Gryzzzz...............

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

But things were very Crazy in NY, then!

I heard about NY. Crazy here too, scurrying around to see as many of the Urgh and Decline of Western Civilization shows as we could. LA was as punk as it got in the late 70s and early 80s. Heck my hometown in OC had it's own scene with DI, Adolescents, Social D, among others. Good times indeed.

#58 2 years ago

Any Dead shows for you? Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters?

#59 2 years ago

Nope, no Dead shows. But I did find quite a few tourers camped out at a gas station I worked at when they played Irvine in the 80s. Kind of gave me a feel of the experience. I was more into hard rock and punk.

Our buddy Don (terapin99) who passed away recently had offered to take me to see the New Years eve show this last year, but I passed. Apparently he had a rough time getting thru all of it as well from what he told me.

#60 2 years ago

My best bands: early 80's--Black Flag. Late 80's--Slayer.

#61 2 years ago

Black Flag was always gigging around here and I did see Slayer once back in the day.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I saw them too with Wall of Voodoo in 80 or 81. WOV killed it that night, XTC not so much. Besides maybe the last couple songs they did, the sound quality or performance in general was terrible.

XTC is at their best when they assume their Dukes of Stratosphere alter-ego.

Come to think of it, a garage/psych theme would be a nice change of pace from all the hard rock stuff. How about a "Pictures of Matchstick Men" multiball, a "See Emily Play" skill shot (which triggers a whimsical 3d holographic animation or some such), and perhaps a "I Had too Much to Dream" wizard mode?

Love Budgie, a really great place to go when you want to dig deeper than Sabbath, Purple, BOC, etc. Sir Lord Baltimore, Dust, and Leaf Hound were also great!

For me though, no one ever captured the full essence of every aspect of Rock and Roll quite like Johnny Thunders and the bands he was associated with (though he'd have kicked your ass for calling it "Punk").

#63 2 years ago

They would sell dozens of pins. Dozens!

#64 2 years ago

They have to be one of the top 5 underrated bands of all time just listen to the catalog...... Just as heavy as Sabbath and I love Sabbath they just never got their due......

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Any Dead shows for you? Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters?

I'm a 126 show man with the original lineup. With JGB, Ratdog, Scaring the Children, and the later iterations, I'm close to 200.

#66 2 years ago

Budgie was my favorite band in high school in the late seventies. Glad to see other fans here! The first three albums with Roger Dean art would be great pinball art. The original lineup with Tony Bourge on guitar is the only real Budgie as far as I'm concerned. Lots of great tracks to choose from, starting with Guts, Breadfan, and In For for the Kill for sure (Van Halen covered that one), and no, they are not a prog band, closer to Sabbath for sure and Zep too, though their sound certainly evolved and is fairly unique. I still have their first seven albums on vinyl, will be buried with them. But I admit they are too obscure for a pro pinball machine...

#67 2 years ago

So much for the "no ones ever heard of them" comment.

I've always looked at music kind of like I look at pinball. You can just take what is spoon fed to you and what every body else says is good, or you can dig a little deeper and find something you really like instead.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

My best bands: early 80's--Black Flag. Late 80's--Slayer.

It should be the Zero Boys.

IMG_3873 (resized).PNG

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Maybe not in West Virginia or other rural areas.

Yeah, those of us in WV and other rural areas don't have access to music. Its mostly just jug bands.

#70 2 years ago

I'm surprised Budgie is getting more action than the Tesla thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-a-tesla-pinball-machine

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

I'm surprised Budgie is getting more action than the Tesla thread s

In pinball, it seems older is better or at least more popular. Haven't even gotten to Arthur Brown yet.

#72 2 years ago

For those that never heard of or heard Budgie before, now you have. If you've been paying attention. And I'd buy it if done right. .

#73 2 years ago

Time to go play before I can't. I'll just leave this here.

#74 2 years ago

Before I check out, this is still the most meaning full post in the thread.

Quoted from cycochris:

yes of course!

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ed209:

They would sell dozens of pins. Dozens!

I think this is the most "meaning full" post in the thread...

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I've never heard of Budgie, but it's got to be better than Rush.

Boo, no down vote, we all like what we like. I have never heard of Budgie. But RUSH is awesome. Not pop music, have to listen to a song several time to wrap your (musical) head around it. Takes effort. But I understand that it is not for everyone. But still, I want a RUSH pinball machine.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from Geddy2112:

They have to be one of the top 5 underrated bands of all time just listen to the catalog...... Just as heavy as Sabbath and I love Sabbath they just never got their due......

Never heard of this band but based on your username, I am going to have to check them out. You obviously have good tastes

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

XTC is at their best when they assume their Dukes of Stratosphere alter-ego.

Could not agree more!

1 week later
    #79 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

Love Budgie, a really great place to go when you want to dig deeper

Dig it!

#80 2 years ago

Saw Budgie live with Sparks in 1976 at the Agora in Cleveland, Ohio.

Probably safe to mention Bloodrock or Cactus in this thread, they'd work as a pin too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 265.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 4.95
    Various Other Swag
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 9.00
    Playfield - Other
    Hdmike mods
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Singer Pinball Designs
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 59.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 30.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside