(Topic ID: 32653)

Should Apple get into making commercial pinball machines?

By eggbert52

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by eggbert52
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should Apple start making commercial pinball machines?”

• No 114 votes
      81%
    • Yes 26 votes
      19%

(140 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ass.gif
    ABANDONTHREAD.gif
    There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #52 11 years ago

WELL .. if apple did, you probably wouldnt have to front the money and wait 2 years for it to be made.

#53 11 years ago

Apple pins? You want to send the whole machine back to their customer service when a light bulb has to be changed?

#54 11 years ago

They already make pinball machines with the iPad. Just the hardware part. Other companies(Farsight, etc) make the software for it. Bam, done.

#55 11 years ago

I doubt Apple could make a coffee maker let alone a real pinball machine

#56 11 years ago

No, it wouldn't support Flash.... Gordon

#58 11 years ago

The more the merrier. But it will not happen bec they can't even make a profit like and iPhone or pad etc.

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Well should they? With all of the popular Aps they have (Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, etc.) it could be pretty successful and if any company could ever put the general popularity back into pinball it would be Apple.
    So what do you think?
    I want to hold off starting a poll so I don't miss an option.

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

» YouTube video

It would be funny and all if it had audio

The thread was meant to be polarizing.

#61 11 years ago

it should have audio? Works for me, you need a Mac LOL

#62 11 years ago

The iPin? Really? Hell to the NO!!!

I'm sorry. I hope I'm not sending any mixed signals. What I really meant to say... No Freakin Way!!!! Hahaha hahaha hahaha!!!!

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

it should have audio? Works for me, you need a Mac LOL

I tried listening to it on my IMac...

#64 11 years ago

Introducing the i-pin Nano, 3/4 size pinball with scaled back features and full price tag.
    Did Apple buy out Stern?

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Ohh boy, here we go! Now everyone is going to jump on the 'don't buy Chinese' bandwagon even though your life, my life, everyones life revolves around Chinese manufactured, assembled, processed, stuff whether you like it or not... some people just don't know what they don't know!

I know exactly.... However the Chinese junk I buy is not extremely overpriced like Apple products... Sorry, I don't pay a premium to have that "apple status"

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I know exactly.... However the Chinese junk I buy is not extremely overpriced like Apple products... Sorry, I don't pay a premium to have that "apple status"

I'll say it again... some people just don't know what they don't know!

#67 11 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Well should they? With all of the popular Aps they have (Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, etc.) it could be pretty successful and if any company could ever put the general popularity back into pinball it would be Apple.
    So what do you think?
    I want to hold off starting a poll so I don't miss an option.

I guess our weather here in S. florida .. must be really warm lately..your having a heat stroke!

#68 11 years ago

Can't believe how long this inane thread has gone on. Anyone that thinks Apple could "put the general popularity back into pinball" is a DOOFUSS EXTRAORDINAIRE!

#69 11 years ago

As a total Apple cool-aid drinker and Windows hater, I have to vote no. An iPin would have one button, cool artwork and nothing else. They can stick to what they do better than anyone else.

#70 11 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Can't believe how long this inane thread has gone on. Anyone that thinks Apple could "put the general popularity back into pinball" is a DOOFUSS EXTRAORDINAIRE!

I like that term "DOOFUSS EXTRAORDINAIRE!"...I have to use that on my boss! Or maybe my fiancee..haha..

#71 11 years ago
    Quoted from WileECoyote:

As a total Apple cool-aid drinker and Windows hater, I have to vote no. An iPin would have one button, cool artwork and nothing else. They can stick to what they do better than anyone else.

not all business run off of ipads...

EDIT: Actually I wish they did! would make my job easier!

#72 11 years ago

Ah good, what else to expect in a thread mentioning Apple but the usual stupid anti-Apple rhetoric. Disappointing, Pinside.

With their supply line control, billions in free cash and how deep they're involved with manufacturing, I bet Apple could outproduce Stern within a year, starting from scratch!

Or they could just buy Stern and JJP!

#73 11 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I have never understood this argument. I bought my first ipod because it was the best product on the market in every way. I have owned 4 mac computers in the past 10 years and have never had a virus, never had one repaired, and never bought virus protection. All 4 of them were in the 1000$ to 1300$ price range. I decided to buy a PC about a year ago. It was about 1400$ after buying virus protection and it was on sale. I forget the exact specs (64 bit quad core...HP bla bla) Anyway I ended up selling the piece of crap for about 500$ several months later out of frustration because it was so extremely slow, heavy, crash prone, and a general POS (I guess I forgot why I switched to mac in the first place). Three out of the four past macs I have owned are still being used by family members today. Call me a fan boy all you like, but until someone else makes a product for the same price point that I do not want to smash with a hammer because the thing crashes and gets bogged down by virus protection I did not want to buy in the first place, I will be over here still typing on my "overpriced, Apple status" computer that works. Rant over

#74 11 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

I have never understood this argument. I bought my first ipod because it was the best product on the market in every way. I have owned 4 mac computers in the past 10 years and have never had a virus, never had one repaired, and never bought virus protection. All 4 of them were in the 1000$ to 1300$ price range. I decided to buy a PC about a year ago. It was about 1400$ after buying virus protection and it was on sale. I forget the exact specs (64 bit quad core...HP bla bla) Anyway I ended up selling the piece of crap for about 500$ several months later out of frustration because it was so extremely slow, heavy, crash prone, and a general POS (I guess I forgot why I switched to mac in the first place). Three out of the four past macs I have owned are still being used by family members today. Call me a fan boy all you like, but until someone else makes a product for the same price point that I do not want to smash with a hammer because the thing crashes and gets bogged down by virus protection I did not want to buy in the first place, I will be over here still typing on my "overpriced, Apple status" computer that works. Rant over

Amen, brother! I understand why computer gamers/hobbyists like PC's (because they can open them up and customize/tinker/etc.), however for folks who just want their computer to "just work", Apple is still the brand of choice. Apple retail stores typically provide awesome support.

#75 11 years ago

Not only does Mac OS "just work" - it's got such a robust back-end and hacker support that it's simply the best computer experience around. Want to delve deep into the OS? FreeBSD based. Open the terminal and go hog wild. Want to customize your own hardware still? Look into building a Hackintosh, probably the most exciting Mac OS thing to happen since OS X came out. Dual boot Windows if you're desperate for it.

I really don't understand the automatic assumption that anything Apple = for dumbasses. They pour billions into R&D and user interface studies to make their products an impressive balance between form, function, and (above all) usability.

#76 11 years ago

Yuck Apple products no thanks.

#77 11 years ago

I'd rather argue about politics than Apple fanboys versus Apple haters.

I can think of no two groups of people more juvenile in their arguments and reasoning and yet blindly committed to their cause none the less.

Do they make great products? Yes.

Do they overcharge for extremely cheap labor produced items? Yes.

They price control their products for many reasons, not the least of which is an air of exclusivity. Plus, a huge chunk of their laptop and home computer customers are people who look at you with a blank stare when you tell them to open their web browser and navigate to Gmail. They just want a cute button that says email. I've been in an Apple store when this class was going on, it's true.

But keep in mind these facts:

They did not invent the touch screen.
    They did not invent the GUI or the mouse.
    These days, Apple home computers and laptops are 95%+ identical, parts-wise, to other home computers and laptops. It's merely their architecture and OS that's different. Same parts, different experience.

But that's what Apple is selling, an experience. It's an experience a lot of people like and will pay good money for, like it or not. Whenever people try to copy that experience, those already used to it resist, naturally, because it's different and not what they're used to. That's why so many copycat devices have failed. Skepticism towards a replacement experience is too huge an obstacle to overcome. How many times has someone told you "this movie is SOOOO much better than that one(your favorite movie) because of this and this and that" and you go see it and what happens? It sucks, right? How many sequels aren't as good as the originals? Same principle.

Lets' face it, at this point, technologically speaking, you can't really tell the difference between the things Apple makes versus anyone else, Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, HP, etc. What is different is how you interface with that product and right now, Apple's stuff is really intuitive and flows really well and that's what a lot of people like. You can do just about anything on either type of system, if you really wanted.

Me? I consider myself a PC guy because I like to be able to get in to things and change how they work or be able to fix them when they stop working. On a PC, that stuff is pretty easily accessible and just about on the surface. On a Mac, they're quite a bit more buried and it's a real pain in the butt to do. But, I do my graphic design and audio recording work on a Mac, it's built better for those things. I do my Solidworks CAD stuff, and most everything else, on my PC. When I built that PC, I spec'd it out specifically for 3D modeling. Can't do that with a Mac. I've also got a 30GB iPod video, iPhone 2G, iPhone 3GS, and an iPhone 4 that I've used as iPod Touches over the years and now let my nieces and nephew play with from time to time.

Oh and by the way, not everything small and/or electronic comes from China. If you guys actually took apart your stuff either out of curiosity or to fix, you'd see a menagerie of items sourced from all over the world. In fact, I've noticed more and more electronics boards coming from Mexico recently.

#78 11 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

But that's what Apple is selling, an experience. It's an experience a lot of people like and will pay good money for, like it or not.

I like the experience of my computer working without having to call my IT friends or pay someone to fix it.

I use PC's at work for CAD and machine programming only because I have to.

Is $1000 a lot of money to pay for a quad core mac that will last me 3 years until I feel like making an upgrade, then sell the old one for about 3 or 4 hundred. This whole "Macs are for the snobs" thing makes no sense. If I were to go buy a PC, I would spend about the same money give or take a few hundred.

I do own a few PCs as well. I just much prefer my Mac.

Im not interested in being an IT guy.

Here is an interesting read.

http://alienryderflex.com/why_hate_apple.shtml

#79 11 years ago

Everyone has different likes.....sorry mine doesn't fit yours...sorry you can't handle a dislike opinion....why do apple lovers get so defensive???? They are like Moonies... selling roses for the Reverend Steve Jobs. My friends buy the latest iPhones every version.....and they break all the time....my cheap ass smartphone is working fine after 3 years...and it does the same thing the Apple does. My non-Apple tablet works just as good for half the cost. Does all the same things just as well. Yes, macs work great, especially for music and art. I think those have a place...however its the little electronics that I see break around me constantly that keep me away...not worth the price....but having one for the status (and yes, people get them for status) is not for me

#80 11 years ago

Apple is just a marketing company. Their products are just the same cheap Chinese made junk as everyone else's, only they spend so much money on marketing that it makes their products SEEM like the software and build quality is good when it really isn't. And their marketing just makes people THINK they're enjoying their products when really the marketing is just affecting them in the head.

So, if they made a pinball machine it would probably be awesome because they'd use their marketing power to make us THINK that their machines are the best ever. And the ignorance will be blissful.

#81 11 years ago

Hell no! I dont want a pinball machine with a single button

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from nerbflong:

Hell no! I dont want a pinball machine with a single button

If Microsoft made a pinball machine it would have 10 buttons!

#83 11 years ago

I don't often defend Apple in public, but I thought Pinside would be a good place for discussion. The anti-Apple hatred I hear is fast and loud from every corner of the internet, and I have to ignore it all.

You're just seeing responses from people who are incredibly happy with their Apple ecosystem - iOS + Mac OS X do some amazing things together, and have you SEEN what an AppleTV can do?! - those same folks are confused as to why such a vocal bunch of people constantly come out of the woodwork to bash Apple. I don't really get it either, it's a simple choice of what OS you're using, and Apple happens to innovate in both hardware and software to create great products that I want to use every day. There's no status about them for me, and whatever biases you hold towards people who may covet an iPhone as purely a status symbol, the jump in logic that they are somehow an inferior product because of that fact is ridiculous. Apple spends hundreds of billions of dollars in cutting edge research and development, just look at the minute control they have over every aspect of their supply line. They practically own the display market because of their development and implementation of the retina displays.

I also take offense that I am somehow less of a computer nerd because I use Apple products! They have the funnest stuff to play around with. FreeBSD behind OS X. iOS jailbreaking. AppleTV hacking. Hackintoshes (Yes you can have a fully functional Mac OS X 10.8 machine running on cheap PC hardware, and it's fun as hell to get up and running).

#84 11 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

Apple is just a marketing company. Their products are just the same cheap Chinese made junk as everyone else's, only they spend so much money on marketing that it makes their products SEEM like the software and build quality is good when it really isn't. And their marketing just makes people THINK they're enjoying their products when really the marketing is just affecting them in the head.

So, if they made a pinball machine it would probably be awesome because they'd use their marketing power to make us THINK that their machines are the best ever. And the ignorance will be blissful.

Couldn't have stated it any better!!! It amazes me that people pay 2x for a machine when you can get a better/faster machine for 1/2 the price without the silly apple symbol. Apple cloneheads do buy what the commericals tell them to buy. I love Matt Groenig's take on being
    hypnotized by Apple products in a couple of recent episodes...Classic!!!

#85 11 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Everyone has different likes.....sorry mine doesn't fit yours...sorry you can't handle a dislike opinion....why do apple lovers get so defensive???? They are like Moonies... selling roses for the Reverend Steve Jobs. My friends buy the latest iPhones every version.....and they break all the time....my cheap ass smartphone is working fine after 3 years...and it does the same thing the Apple does. My non-Apple tablet works just as good for half the cost. Does all the same things just as well. Yes, macs work great, especially for music and art. I think those have a place...however its the little electronics that I see break around me constantly that keep me away...not worth the price....but having one for the status (and yes, people get them for status) is not for me

Ok? I think if you make fun of me more you will win an inteligent argumant.

#86 11 years ago

This thread sure could use some hot girl pics

#87 11 years ago

Who here has had a virus on there PC? I have never had one on my Mac's

I think calling someone defensive while at the same time saying "They are like Moonies" is kind of pointless

I also think stating Everyone has different likes, while debating is pointless.

Try and lighten up, I'm not attacking you.

#88 11 years ago

The technologies you choose to use say a lot about you. But raging about the technologies others choose to use says way WAY more about you.

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

The technologies you choose to use say a lot about you. But raging about the technologies others choose to use says way WAY more about you.

Ok

#90 11 years ago

I wasn't talking to you PEN, just a general statement

#91 11 years ago

That would be damn fruity

#92 11 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

If Microsoft made a pinball machine it would have 10 buttons!

At least there'd be separate flipper control! And screw taking my pin into the apple store to get it fixed all the time (or my battery changed)

#93 11 years ago

Pretty tough to make a dig at Apple store service TBH. The ability to rock up to an Apple store and get an on the spot replacement of your entire device no questions asked is something I covet when I buy other brands.

EDIT: Wait … that's just marketing making people THINK they've had good customer service.

#94 11 years ago

No, but if they did, it would probably look like THE PIN.

#95 11 years ago
    Quoted from nerbflong:

At least there'd be separate flipper control! And screw taking my pin into the apple store to get it fixed all the time (or my battery changed)

Has someone had to bring there Mac into the store "all the time" ? 10 years here, never have.p

#96 11 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

Pretty tough to make a dig at Apple store service TBH. The ability to rock up to an Apple store and get an on the spot replacement of your entire device no questions asked is something I covet when I buy other brands.
    EDIT: Wait … that's just marketing making people THINK they've had good customer service.

I work in I.T. and personally I hate apple and Microsoft. Nothing worse than working on this stuff 5 days a week only to come home and work on it some more! YUCK. These are the reasons I am getting back into pinball, to get away from computers!

#97 11 years ago

Hey I thought this was about apple getting into pinball

#98 11 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Hey I thought this was about apple getting into pinball

You can close it down if you want.

#99 11 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

Oh man, this sounds like your experience has been identical to mine! I was the biggest Mac skeptic ever, but given my complete disgust with my PC experiences, I figured it was time to give a Mac a try. This was four years ago. Bottom line: I will never own a PC again. In fact, I'm getting a new Mac next month, and I'm really looking forward to it. Kids will be using my current Mac for their school work.

#100 11 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

I honestly don't know if this is supposed to be some kind of witty sarcasm, or if you actually believe what you typed here?

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-apple-get-into-making-commercial-pinball-machines/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.