Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170327_223208 (resized).jpg
20170327_223157 (resized).jpg
e05b9ec7b7fef355270580b04f6ad0227dd490fd (resized).jpg
ceafbfa2ccdaf6b6fa5e88a59af5a1ecf1c0f7fd (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Just curious what you guys think. I bought a Bride of Pinbot that I feel like hot rodding out completely and making it new but I'm definitely amateur when it comes to working on pins. I can swap all lights to led's no problem but as far as repair history goes the most complex thing I've ever done is fix a broken ship on my Pirates of the Caribbean pin by deducing it was a worn spring and broken coil. I'm on the list to get a new repro BOP playfield and I can pay someone to do the swap for me, but I'm contemplating giving it a try myself. Never done anything this involved before so what do you think, am I better off just paying a pro to do it or should I roll the dice and go for it myself?

#2 7 years ago

You can do it. Just take scads of pictures from start to finish and even document every move you make in a Word file. Then work backwards to reassemble.

Then be prepared for nothing to work as it did because switches and other stuff will be out of whack and will have to be tweaked, perhaps for a few weeks at minimum. It will take a while to dial the machine back in, so be patient.

And throw a coat of wax on the new playfield before you even begin to repopulate.

#3 7 years ago

I have been wanting to restore my Frontier but I feel I might get in over my head...seems to daunting for me but everyone I have asked says do it. I might work up the courage someday...I will be following this thread.

#5 7 years ago

I actually saw that thread and to be honest it scared the crap out of me lol. It makes it seem very involved and complicated, which makes me lean to just paying someone to do it. But then again when I look at the bottom of the playfield myself I dunno, it seems doable, maybe? Perhaps? Just not sure yet.

#6 7 years ago

How much would it cost to have somebody do it? I'm fairly experienced and can't afford to be the "have somebody else do it" type and am usually the one GETTING paid for stuff like that, and I would probably consider paying somebody to do it...

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

How much would it cost to have somebody do it? I'm fairly experienced and can't afford to be the "have somebody else do it" type and am usually the one GETTING paid for stuff like that, and I would probably consider paying somebody to do it...

Around here between $600 to $1000 depending on who. I'd leave all new ramps, plastics and the playfield with them and it all gets done. I did it that way with my Attack From Mars and it's really nice to just have it all done. But I have been tempted to give it a go myself if anything to just try it once. Beelzeboob has a good point though, there's more to it than just reassembly, I forgot about all the switch tweaks that would likely be needed to make sure the game still plays correctly. Tough call.

#8 7 years ago

You have to start somewhere, I say go for it!

#9 7 years ago

Sure. That's how amateurs gain experience and aren't amateurs any more.

#10 7 years ago

I brush my teeth everyday and that doesn't make me a dentist.

Pay a pro to do it.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Around here between $600 to $1000 depending on who. I'd leave all new ramps, plastics and the playfield with them and it all gets done. I did it that way with my Attack From Mars and it's really nice to just have it all done. But I have been tempted to give it a go myself if anything to just try it once. Beelzeboob has a good point though, there's more to it than just reassembly, I forgot about all the switch tweaks that would likely be needed to make sure the game still plays correctly. Tough call.

I personally couldn't afford that but I guess it depends. I think if I had the money to spend I'd do that. Seems a lot nicer to wait a little and have it done for you, it's difficult. I'd pay somebody to rebuild the engine on my car but not paint the inside of my house or wash my clothes basically - the level of difficulty and time spent plays a big part, and each varies from person to person. (or there wouldn't be interior painters! ) That being said, some enjoy rebuilding car engines as a hobby or I guess even as a business - and pinball IS our hobby, soooooooo... but even with that being said I think a playfield swap may be a little out of my realm of "fun" and more of just being cumbersome.

#12 7 years ago

I considered myself a newb not all that long ago, but have since done PF swaps on 2 EM's (Surf Champ and Atlantis). There's no magic required, and certainly anyone can do it if they follow the basic steps already mentioned. Photo's, documentation and patience are your friends. The satisfaction of doing it yourself can't be beat.

#13 7 years ago

CAN you do it? Absolutely - I think just about anyone could do it.

SHOULD you do it? It depends on a couple factors, mainly:

Do you enjoy that sort of thing?
And, Do you have free time to complete it?

The combination of both is somewhat essential to make it enjoyable. If you want to do it right (and everyone's level of "done right" is different of course), it will take a good amount of time and patience but essentially you just need to be great at the photo documrntion of the process..

If you aren't anal at all you could easily wax the new one and swap all original parts without washing parts, taking apart mechs to clean, tumbling nuts n bolts or buying new ones, replacing worn parts, buying new sleeves, ...etc.

I think usually once you start taking stuff apart though you get the itch to replace this or that, clean things up, find broken parts.. and honestly if you are taking the time to swap it makes sense to also take the time to take everything apart, clean it, replace stuff as needed, and generally put together a super nice and clean Playfield. This takes a lot of patience and time.. but certainly doable and super satisfying if that's your kind of thing.

#14 7 years ago

i will be doing it soonish. ive got a SS coming and its got a nice spare playfield with it. ill give it a go! will read some guides first though.

#15 7 years ago

Really it's not too bad. My trick is to use two rotisserie and migrate parts over so I don't lose track of where parts go. The only way you're going to really learn this skill is by doing. Super rewarding at the other end.

#16 7 years ago

At least for me, the time consuming part is cleaning all the parts. Taking everything apart and putting it back together really isn't that bad, as intimidating as it may look.

As said above, evaluate whether you have the time and whether you think you will enjoy it. As far as skill, there isn't a whole lot involved. It's just time consuming.

On the last full tear down I did (a STTNG, in order to have the playfield clearcoated), I actually took very few pictures. I tear down the top of the playfield a small section at a time, putting small parts in the baggies I save from ordering parts. I write little notes or take a picture of the section if there are a lot of posts or there is a detail I want to remember later.

I put the bags, ramps, etc. in a row along a wall in my basement, in the order that I removed them, so I can later reassemble in the reverse order.

The underside is actually not too bad. I desolder and remove all the assemblies, noting the wires/lugs. I then unscrew the lamps, switches, etc. in order to remove the harness.

When putting the harness back on, it's pretty hard not to put it back correctly. After 25 years, the wiring "remembers" where to go.

When reassembling, I always start with the pop bumpers, as they are easiest to work on when the playfield is bare. When everything is back together, there will almost always be things that need tweaking. I like to test all the coils, switches and lamps before I reassemble the top of the playfield, while everything is still easy to access.

Each game has its own unique challenges, but BoP is not too bad to start with. You can definitely do it if you have the time and patience. Again though, if you don't think you'll enjoy it and don't mind spending the money, there's something to be said for just having it done.

#17 7 years ago

It's a bigger job than you think it is. It isn't that it is impossible, but it is very involved. I'd say do at least a couple of top side tear downs on different games first. Be very familiar with soldering (and have a good iron). Be used to pulling apart pop bumpers. The time to take on a playfield swap is after you know how to disassemble and assemble the individual parts.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just take scads of pictures from start to finish

And after you take those, take more, from every possible angle. Digital pictures are free, and you will run into that small spot where the extra pictures will save your bacon getting it back together.

And two very important ones. 1. Don't assume any divots for drilling are in the right spots. You may find some of them are not exact on the new playfield. 2. Do NOT assume that the last person that put your game together did it correctly. If there are two (or more) hex spacers or ramp stand offs in the game, really check if they were put back into the correct spots by whoever had the game apart last. You would be surprised how many wonky ball hangups or strange ramp behavior come down to a minor difference in post side.

And if you take it on, enjoy the project. Don't do it just to save money, do it for the fun.

#18 7 years ago

i myself am an person without patience,
I would want it to be done in 2 days 4 max so id be working on it like crazy and my wife would probably devorce me
if not cause of swearing because nothing fits or works that would do the job for her

so ask yourselff do you got da skilzz and the patience

i dont

#19 7 years ago

I'll share my own story on this really quickly.

Been in this hobby for 5 years now. Just got done doing my first one on AFM.

We had a clearcoat job done, and the playfield looked gorgeous:

ceafbfa2ccdaf6b6fa5e88a59af5a1ecf1c0f7fd (resized).jpgceafbfa2ccdaf6b6fa5e88a59af5a1ecf1c0f7fd (resized).jpge05b9ec7b7fef355270580b04f6ad0227dd490fd (resized).jpge05b9ec7b7fef355270580b04f6ad0227dd490fd (resized).jpg

We started in January and worked here and there every weekend until the game was completed in nearly exactly 1 month - weekends only - and only 1 day of the weekend each time.

Now, for whatever reason, the clearcoat has failed. Here is my playfield now.

20170327_223157 (resized).jpg20170327_223157 (resized).jpg20170327_223208 (resized).jpg20170327_223208 (resized).jpg

The point? If I had paid someone else to do it, I'd be in a pretty nasty situation right now. The silver lining here: I have the experience to not be afraid to go back in and do it again. Already got a new mirco PF on the way, so once it comes in, I can take a plethora of required photos and jump right in.

The bottom line: do it. Your confidence will grow, and you'll be able to help someone else down the road.

#20 7 years ago

Do it. The only way to learn and get better is by doing. Build a Playfield rotisserie first, I understand it will be invaluable for swaps.

#21 7 years ago

Go for it.
So much easier now with digital cameras to document your progress. I don't know how people would have done this back in the days of Kodachrome...

#22 7 years ago

only way to learn is to do it.

Take photos, keep a list, have fun.

#23 7 years ago

Everyone says take lots of pictures and that is a correct thing to say. Indexing them some way so you can easily find the area you want is also important. It is nice to go right to the correct pictures of areas that are complex, areas that are different than others, specific dissembly/reassembly order is required, etc. instead of hunting through a 1000 pictures to find what I need. When I do take a pic I usually take 4 pictures of the item I'm photographing. A close up, backed out to see adjacent areas and 2 close ups from different angles.

#24 7 years ago

You can do it. Here's my first hand experience having posted the same question beefier my first restoration.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-playfield-swap-difficulty-level-for-a-noob

This forum made it possible, as I got lots of help when needed (and you will inevitably screw up or get lost).

#25 7 years ago

I absolutely think you should. I did a swap on my Space Shuttle when I knew hardly anything with pinball maintenance. I took my time with it. I mean really took my time with it and worked maybe 5 or 6 hours a week. It took several months but I didn't burn myself out and I learned a lot.

#26 7 years ago

If you are a first timer then I suggest you set aside a dedicated long term work area with a table (even a pool table with a drop cloth will do) to lay out the removed parts in the general location of where they sit on the playfield.

My first time with a playfield swap I did this exact method as inevitably other real life situations will take over and there could be delays in getting it all back together. This method makes it so much easier to come back to and seeing the general locations of all the parts laid out even loose is far less daunting than seeing them in a jumbled mess.

These days having a few dozen or more playfield swaps under my belt it simply all gets thrown into a pile for cleaning but it all comes down to repetition and experience.

#27 7 years ago

Go for it. I'm about to embark on my first swap in a couple of months and have the same fears that you do, but I'm going to jump in with both feet!

Marc

#28 7 years ago

I started a 100% full resto of my taxi. From wet decals/touch ups/clearcoating of the playfield to new cabinet decals,every metal pieces in the tumbler and powdercoating legs, rails, etc...

first time.

But even before thinking of it, I read EVERY damn post on pinside about Resto (thanks to Vid). I read them and made my own in Word documents.

You have to love learning because at the end, even if the game is a mess, your learning curve will be exponential for the next one!

#29 7 years ago

Go for it and make it into a topic so you can ask the community questions!

#30 7 years ago

You have to be a amateur before you can be a pro. Like has been said. Take 10 times more pictures than you think you need from every angle and take your time. My first swap was great. After it was all together I had to adjust 3 switches and it's been running perfect for years.

#31 7 years ago

Another suggestion for a newbie is to get another wired playfield and have it on hand for reference. You could borrow one if possible or buy a beater and part it out when your done with it

Mike V

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

wired playfield and have it on hand for reference

No doubt. Consider this a blocker to getting started -- start fishing for one. Sometimes you can borrow a PF off a friend too...

-mof

#33 7 years ago

I say go for it! With the support here, I'm certain you can get the job done right. It's not easy, but it's not as hard as I thought it would be either. There's tons of great advice in this thread, and pretty much everything I would suggest has been mentioned. Take tons of pics, allocate plenty of working space if possible, take your time, take more pics, etc.

Think about when you finally get it all done up the way you want, and you turn on the game for the first time--full of anticipation...the game *you* put all that time and effort into, all the problems encountered along the way culminating into a grand flick of a switch, that moment when it lights up and looks f*cking awesome--what a great feeling. (of course, the game will almost always need further attention getting everything just right once it's all put back together...but I bask in that moment when it comes to life)

If you're into pinball for the long-haul, this experience will do nothing but benefit you. You'll know your game inside and out by the time you're done, and the knowledge you gain in the process will come in handy for your other games too. I was super-nervous when I did the playfield on my BK but it worked out and was completely worth it.

#34 7 years ago

Do it! Get yourself the proper tools. Take lots of pictures. Experience is power in this hobby.

Best of all, if you F things up, you've got a good group of people here who can help bail you out!

#35 7 years ago

There's more to it then just doing a swap. Aprons need repainting, side rails need to be sanded down and made to match the new playfield. You also got to create a parts list and order the parts. Pop bumpers and flippers need to be rebuilt. Plus, at times, something just doesn't line up. And there's on more thing, sometimes the playfield should be clear coated. Done right, the clear coat is going to set you back months. I've been through this process 3 times and a fourth in the works. I hire someone to do it for me and they've all turned out great! These boards are expensive and even more expensive to have installed correctly. All my boards are Wade Krause.

#36 7 years ago

Do not even begin a project like this until you honestly answer a few questions;
Are you patient to perform tedious work until completion?
Do you really want the end result? Will that be enough to keep you motivated throughout the project?
Do you have the time, a spacious place to perform the work, a comfortable place to perform the work? By comfort I mean it can get dirty and cluttered and not cause stress?
I think you can do it,from your comments. Lot of hours to do it right.

#37 7 years ago

If you decide to do it -- rotesserie makes it go really smooth as does having s tool bag with the dedicated proper pin tools -- magnetic nut drivers and screwdrivers are really great to have for example! Took me a while to get all the little things together and dedicated in one bag but man it's nice to have them and not go searching in the garage or wish you had a certain tool but make due with something else!

#38 7 years ago

Thanks for all the comments guys! To be honest I'm still not sure which way to go but I have time to decide, that print run of Bop playfields isn't happening until July. Free time isn't the issue, I have my own company and work from home mostly so I have all the time in the world. And I don't mind taking time to fix things, I've restored a bunch of arcade machines so far and those take some time as well. It just seems like there is a whole lot that can go wrong here If I do go through with it I'll film it for my Youtube channel so everyone can laugh at my mistakes lol but I'll see, I still have a few months to decide. Thanks again everyone!

#39 7 years ago

There were a lot of intriguing questions, but I will make it simpler. If a person is already saying to themselvesTL;DR, they should not be doing a playfield exchange.

As a collector, not "owner" that has replaced several dozen playfields, a person should ask themselves one question:

Does an individual want how to learn how to restore games and know how they actually work?
Meaning "step up their game"?

If not, nearly every other possible question has already been answered such as "are you patient and willing to see a project through", as it makes no difference.

An individual is not going to enjoy the process whatsoever, and most likely quit halfway through, stop, and if they start up later, will not remember where they were anyway, thereby increasing the chances the project will never be finished, again. It only gets worse, cycle to cycle.

This should make logical sense, and not be an archaic mystery.
People that provide less than sentence typical PinSide answers here generally have never had the inclination to want to do a playfield exchange, or done an exchange, so there is not a lot of benefit in these responses.
Those that have, might have wished someone could have helped them the FIRST time.
I will do so.

The benefits do outweigh the challenges, if a person is willing to take their time and learn.
A person will become very familiar with a title, so an individual can HELP OTHERS AND THE HOBBY IN THE FUTURE.
That is the long term intent, not just be an owner.

If not, and a person can afford it, pay a business the $1000-1500 (Bride of Pinbot in this particular example case) to do the work for them.
Enjoy the shiny game.
Nothing wrong with that approach.

Plenty of people I know feel overwhelmed even doing stencils or decals.

I have recently redirected another collector to other sources, as he only owns very high end restored games, and is not at all interested in doing the work himself, and could certainly afford to have others do the work for him, including shipping games to them exclusively for restoration to make them "perfect", but not necessarily extreme restoration.

Fundamentals to remember:
- Use game title experts to assist (they are out there, ASK, and they many NOT BE on PinSide, there are many other resources!)
- Use some sort of rotisserie (absolute requirement unless you like to feel the extra pain, add unnecessary time, and potential PF damage)
- If a person is commonly disorganized, get assistance and formulate a plan and storage, as a person is going to need help (overeaching capabilities)
- Protect the playfield surface while working (a very common error)
- Use the RIGHT tools (the most common error)
- Keep game assemblies together (being lazy)
- Lay out parts for reassembly (being lazy)
- Take an absurd number of photos (overestimating memory)
- Template the screw holes with a punch for alignment if possible, using another playfield, used or new , even if a person has to borrow one, validate if it does have pilot holes, BEFORE starting the playfield exchange
- Be prepared to make new playfield adjustments with a drill based on misalignments, it makes NO DIFFERENCE if the PF is NOS or reproduction (this is just part of the process, leads to frustration, and wanting to quit), and use a depth limiting lock sleeve or tape on the drill bit
- Practice solder skills beforehand, not when "needed", or be prepared to redo work (a fundamental, not optional)
- Remove old solder as needed, do not just resolder on top of old connections, as you will have coil and switch issues (being lazy)
- Replace old GI braid on older games, as this just leads to problems, and is not that expensive (being cheap)
- Use new screws as needed, do not reuse stripped out pieces of junk (being cheap)
- Make repairs to assemblies and rebuild them BEFORE you install them (overestimating memory)
- Reference the wire schematics and learn the harness and colors from memory, print extra copies for a spiral notebook (overestimating memory)
- Repair all connectors AFTER playfield is completed, if they get cracked or damage, or preexisting damage (preventative damage)
- TEST all game boards for proper voltage levels, and recheck all fuses (shortcutting)
- PRETEST EVERYTHING before plugging playfield harnesses into PCBs (taking shortcuts, that lead to disasters)

If an owner has not done a PF swap (in this case the Bride of Pinbot), it is not going to take the average of 72 hours for this title example. More like 2-4 weeks, dependent on time availability. Much longer, if a person has less than 2 hours a day. If an owner excludes any of the items listed above, they certainly will have some sort of issues throughout their adventure.

"Playfield swaps are not game modifications, check your work, then recheck playfield assembly again, unless you like to repair PCBs."
- TBK

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 9.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 27.95
£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-an-amateur-do-a-playfield-swap?hl=xtheblackknightx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.