(Topic ID: 156679)

Should a collection of thirty or more games include at least one DMD?

By o-din

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 139 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“In a large collection should there be at least one DMD game?”

• Yes- if pinside says it's so, it must be true 30 votes
    41%
  • No- another woodrail could go there 8 votes
    11%
  • I don't know man- There really aren't many good ones and they are all pretty much the same. 9 votes
    12%
  • I'm never coming to play pinball at your house again 9 votes
    12%
  • HARDBODIES!!!!! 17 votes
    23%

(73 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WWPF_(resized).jpg
WW_(resized).jpg
FunPark_(resized).jpg
DSCN4373_(resized).JPG
DSCN4374_(resized).JPG
DSCN4376_(resized).JPG
DSCN4375_(resized).JPG
e0334a6e5353eea42d78ac1aefd5d70c787e8580_(resized).jpg
DSCN4368_(resized).JPG
DSCN4366_(resized).JPG
DSCN4365_(resized).JPG
DSCN4364_(resized).JPG
DSCN4363_(resized).JPG
DSCN4362_(resized).JPG
hypnosis.jpg
DSCN4326_(resized).JPG
There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago

Your collection covers a different era than most of mine but I have a lot of respect for what was going on in the 80s when pinball machines could stand alone without having to be attached to a licensed theme. Some of those games are real ass kickers too.

I think out of my 30 or so I'm down to one licensed theme in Dirty Harry, two if you include Dodge City (you can see the Gunsmoke reference on it) but besides that the makers of these games gave them all their own personality that won't fade like a movie or a rock star.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Your collection covers a different era than most of mine but I have a lot of respect for what was going on in the 80s when pinball machines could stand alone without having to be attached to a licensed theme. Some of those games are real ass kickers too.
I think out of my 30 or so I'm down to one licensed theme in Dirty Harry, two if you include Dodge City (you can see the Gunsmoke reference on it) but besides that the makers of these games gave them all their own personality that won't fade like a movie or a rock star.

Was just looking at your pictures. I would enjoy playing those also. Looks awesome.

#53 8 years ago

I've got a lot of EMs but am getting the SS bug a bit. I'm waiting on a Skateball with any luck at all and my friend has a Stars that is real fun. Just played out on the DMD thing for now. I like my punishment fast and to the point.

#54 8 years ago

Ohh, there is now a poll

Where is the ;
"A collection of more than 30 machines should try to represent the history of pinball, thus including all eras of machines and all manufacturers'
Option?

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Ohh, there is now a poll

Where is the ;
"A collection of more than 30 machines should try to represent the history of pinball, thus including all eras of machines and all manufacturers'
Option?

On IPDB it shows hundreds of manufacturers, many of which games probably no longer exist. The best is to try as many different ones as you can and find your nich. But don't rush to discount any era without giving it a fair shake. One machine does not represent an entire decade.

I just feel lucky that I have been playing so long that I made it thru several of these eras, but only a couple of what I have now did I ever play back in the day. Sometimes on route you look for games that are easy to win on to stretch your money, but I find at home I mostly want ones that are hard to beat.

#56 8 years ago

Welcome to the 20th century. Buy what you like. Who cares what anyone else thinks of YOUR collection.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

I think a collection of 30 games should have at least 1 EM game.

WTF why would anyone want one of those?

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

WTF why would anyone want one of those?

You'd only want one if you enjoyed the game of pinball. Otherwise, I'd see no need.

#59 8 years ago

Ask yourself, Odin, whether you would trade dh for a mint Eager Beaver? Or a 3 coins? Then you'll have answered your own question, grasshopper.

#60 8 years ago

You should pick up your buddy's Buccaneer

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

You'd only want one if you enjoyed the game of pinball. Otherwise, I'd see no need.

Nonsense. EM's aren't pinball. EM's are what pinball use to be before there was technology to run any sort of code or before the ramp was invented.

#62 8 years ago

My 4 mbc had a ramp before you born.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Nonsense. EM's aren't pinball. EM's are what pinball use to be before there was technology to run any sort of code or before the ramp was invented.

Twaffle, EMs are real pinball, relays, motors, chimes, real artwork
Icons are not made with ICs

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

EM's aren't pinball. EM's are what pinball use to be before there was technology to run any sort of code or before the ramp was invented.

What games did you play before solid state arrived on the scene?

#65 8 years ago

Unlike the newer games my EMs actually have pins. You should start calling your games rampball.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Ohh, there is now a poll ..Where is the ;
"A collection of more than 30 machines should try to represent the history of pinball, thus including all eras of machines and all manufacturers' - Option?

Scattered around here somewhere.

1 '30s mechanical

2 prewar nudgy (1 with wartime "conversion kit")

2 flipper woodrail

14 plain ol' EM 1962-77 + 1 EM console slot

6 plain ol' SS 1975-85 + 1 SS pitch&bat

1 alphanumeric

1 DMD

#67 8 years ago

Here's a history lesson that you can tell all your friends.

The ramp pre-dates the flipper by about 15 years.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5122

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

You should pick up your buddy's Buccaneer

Already have one chief! Tough game.

e0334a6e5353eea42d78ac1aefd5d70c787e8580_(resized).jpge0334a6e5353eea42d78ac1aefd5d70c787e8580_(resized).jpg

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Unlike the newer games my EMs actually have pins. You should start calling your games rampball.

I'd prefer it if it were named that. Then there could be a distinction between what's available now vs those age old turds

Quoted from o-din:

What games did you play before solid state arrived on the scene?

Asteroids, Super Nintendo, PlayStation etc. Was totally uninterested. (And those old video games suck now also as they've been obsoleted by today's technology).

#70 8 years ago

Pretty soon you may get a pinball machine that no longer requires a ball or flippers. Oh they already have that in virtual machines. Time to get rid of those age old turds.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Pretty soon you may get a pinball machine that no longer requires a ball or flippers. Oh they already have that in virtual machines. Time to get rid of those age old turds.

I don't understand the logic flow in getting here. If you take your crappy EM games with nothing more than pops and targets and nothing else, you don't remove anything to get to games I like. You only add to it. Add some software, ramps and toys. What does that have to do with removing the ball and flippers?

#72 8 years ago

The logic is of the logical logic.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I don't understand the logic flow in getting here. If you take your crappy EM games with nothing more than pops and targets and nothing else, you don't remove anything to get to games I like. You only add to it. Add some software, ramps and toys. What does that have to do with removing the ball and flippers?

The flow is, you love technology. You don't love pinball. Just admit it, and move on.

#74 8 years ago

It doesn't matter to me whether you like this style of gameplay or not, but when you call them crappy or pieces of shit you are disrespecting the designers like Steve Kordek, who also had quite a bit to do with some of the games you do like.

And I guarantee his games would kick your ass faster than any of those games you go round and round in circles on. But you want your pinball machine like a video game so I get it.

I've played all the DMDs and had quite a few, but none of them were as tough as Steve Kordek's early designs. That's why I got them.

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

The flow is, you love technology. You don't love pinball. Just admit it, and move on.

I always see the logic of "if you don't love old em games, you must not like pinball!" I find them super boring. They are neat to plunge at a show as I walk by and hit a ball or two, but I wouldnt ever wanna take up space in my house with those. How does this make me not like pinball?

I didn't play pinball in the 70's so I have 0 nostalgia value in pinball for me

#76 8 years ago

No. But any collection should include no less than one pin that goes "Ding".

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Asteroids, Super Nintendo, PlayStation etc. Was totally uninterested. (And those old video games suck now also as they've been obsoleted by today's technology).

And yet tons of people flock to bars these days to play these games once again.

I guess it all depends on if one appreciates the roots of design that got us to where we are today.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

How does this make me not like pinball?

Because it is pinball. There are periods of pinball I don't like as much as others, but I still like. Because, it's the same game. If you can't see that, then I don't think you like the same game I do. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

#79 8 years ago

EMs are super boring but I can't tell you which ones I played because they are all the same and super boring. Just like I don't like DMDs because I played Shaq Attaq and it sucked so they must all suck.

#80 8 years ago

A 1967 GTO isn't even a Hybrid, so it's not a real car! Now a new Prius 3, THERE's a car!

#81 8 years ago

That's why I'm going Solid State as there are no bad ones of those.

#82 8 years ago

Today's musicians are out of touch if they are still using tube amps. What's up with those guys?

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's why I'm going Solid State as there are no bad ones of those.

*cough* James Bond *cough*

#84 8 years ago

So why almost 30 two inch flipper games from the 40s to the 60s and only one DMD? Because none are the same where it really matters to me. You have to learn the geometry of the whole playfield before you have a chance of winning a game. And that takes a long time.

DSCN4375_(resized).JPGDSCN4375_(resized).JPG

DSCN4376_(resized).JPGDSCN4376_(resized).JPG

DSCN4374_(resized).JPGDSCN4374_(resized).JPG

DSCN4373_(resized).JPGDSCN4373_(resized).JPG

#85 8 years ago

Real pinball doesn't feed the flippers. You have to feed the flippers.

Some say real pinball has no flippers, I haven't got there yet.

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Because it is pinball. There are periods of pinball I don't like as much as others, but I still like. Because, it's the same game. If you can't see that, then I don't think you like the same game I do. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

Funny your opinion comes off as fact. Either way, disagree I am forced to like those if I dislike pinball. They are boring. Just as there are many dmd games I like. Don't have to like them all lol

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

They are boring. Just as there are many dmd games

Which ones? Be specific now.

#88 8 years ago

This thread makes me want to go out and play some EM games!

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So why almost 30 two inch flipper games from the 40s to the 60s and only one DMD? Because none are the same where it really matters to me. You have to learn the geometry of the whole playfield before you have a chance of winning a game. And that takes a long time.

DSCN4375_(resized).JPGDSCN4376_(resized).JPGDSCN4374_(resized).JPGDSCN4373_(resized).JPG

Not to get off topic, but what is that Williams Horse race themed game?

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Come on down, it's party time! You won't get bored here. These games are over so fast, you won't know what hit you.

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

what is that Williams Horse race themed game?

Steeple-Chase 1957. Amazing shape with an NOS playfield recently installed. It's like glass and it plays fast.

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Kinda what I was thinking... La Cucaracha has me intrigued.

#92 8 years ago

It's not how I started this hobby and i never played any of these before. I thought I would get one or two I had played in the 70s, but now EMs with long flippers are boring to me. Once Mr Kordek introduced me to the house of pain on Big Daddy though, I was hooked.

When the flippers are smaller, the playfield seems a lot bigger.

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Funny your opinion comes off as fact. Either way, disagree I am forced to like those if I dislike pinball. They are boring. Just as there are many dmd games I like. Don't have to like them all lol

It's not an opinion at all: It's the same game, same name and everything.

Some people don't like the Beatles. That's fine if you don't, but you should at the very least appreciate the value they added to western pop music history.

Same thing with EM's. Without the 100 year history of that style of game, you wouldn't have the 35 year history of the games you really like. Appreciate that, and you will begin to understand that the games which entertained people for 100 years didn't stop being entertaining because something new came along.

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

When the flippers are smaller, the playfield seems a lot bigger.

Exactly the same reason I choose a wife with small hands....

#95 8 years ago

Like Markmon, I grew up playing videogames and didn't even notice pinball until I was in my late 20s. I started with DMDs and wouldn't have anything to do with EMs - I found them boring.

But as I got older, and more into pinball, I learned to appreciate the oddballs, the off-brand games, and even the EMs. When you look at it, especially Sterns, there's not really as much variety in the DMDs as with the older games.

I still "prefer" DMDs but I love me some EMs and early SS, and have all three in my collection currently. You're missing out if you just write off EMs.

#96 8 years ago

I like pinball

#97 8 years ago

"Pinball opinions change with time", as long term collectors explore the history of pinball. They realize more titles that never knew existed and expound their knowledge both on types, design, and manufacturers.

Collectors always start at a reference point of time they know and are comfortable.

There are 1000s of titles that have no archive entries on PinSide. I would like to add more information.

People go always go, "Wow, I did not know that existed"!

The pinball hobby process always follows the same time line.

Playing-->Collecting-->Restoring-->Hoarding

Some people stop at certain periods, some progress forward, some get out and move on.
"Collector choice".

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Playing-->Collecting-->Restoring-->Hoarding

Glad I haven't made it to the hoarding part yet as games have been leaving as fast as they come in. But I am getting more and more of games that I never saw before and may never see another of that are great players and amazing condition. Those are the hardest to let go.

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

It's not an opinion at all: It's the same game, same name and everything.
Some people don't like the Beatles. That's fine if you don't, but you should at the very least appreciate the value they added to western pop music history.
Same thing with EM's. Without the 100 year history of that style of game, you wouldn't have the 35 year history of the games you really like. Appreciate that, and you will begin to understand that the games which entertained people for 100 years didn't stop being entertaining because something new came along.

This is different than what you had said earlier. I appreciate and respect those games exist as they have led to the evolution of what I like to play today. I still don't find them fun or having any lastability with me.

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

This is different than what you had said earlier. I appreciate and respect those games exist as they have led to the evolution of what I like to play today. I still don't find them fun or having any lastability with me.

Then I contend you don't like pinball. You like whatever pinball has become. O-din calls it "ramp ball". That's what you like.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-a-large-collection-of-thirty-or-more-pins-at-least-have-one-dmd/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.