Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dsmith
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I had a problem with my black knight 2000. Had a bad leg on the bridge rectifier on the power supply. Replaced it and it seems pretty hot. Is this normal?

#2 7 years ago

What did you replace it with? If it's not rated to handle the current, a lesser bridge rectifier will overheat.

#3 7 years ago

I will have to double check that. I went to the electronics store and brought the old bridge and told the guy "I need one of these". I'm no genius with the boards so I was pretty stoked when I got the machine working.

#4 7 years ago

What are the numbers stamped on the side of the bridge rectifier?

#5 7 years ago

The machine is at my office. I am going there later today and will check and report back

#6 7 years ago

In summary, yes, most bridge rectifiers in pinball machines are designed to operate at their upper limits and run very hot.

#7 7 years ago

A 400V, 35A bridge will pretty much work in any machine, from all eras and manufacturer. But regardless, they do run hot, some more than others depending on the circuit they are in. Typically the bridge that is for the +5V runs very hot and will have a heat sink.

#8 7 years ago

I checked the old bridge rectifier number. It is kbpc3502w. It is a 35A 200V. The one I replaced it with has the same rating. It just seems pretty hot and was not sure if it should be like that. It is for a power supply for a BK2000. It is the only rectifier on that board?

#9 7 years ago

Normal... if you want, you can put a heat sink on it. I normally do if I am replacing that bridge, heat is probably the reason they eventually fail.

The feature lamp bridge probably gets even hotter than that one.

#10 7 years ago

Get you some heat sink compound and a big heat sink and attach it to the BR. This will help to dissipate the heat somewhat.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#11 7 years ago

Thanks very much. I appreciate the input.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-a-bridge-rectifier-get-hot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.