Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ludikris
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201030_004915 (resized).jpg
    20201030_005000 (resized).jpg
    20201030_004910 (resized).jpg
    20201030_095953 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I have a striker xtreme that turns on all fuses good etc but the game won't start while in freeplay mode. I was fixing my kicker target but the coil shorted the switch for a second..I smelled a bit of something burned but no other issue. all fuses are good. not sure where to look next.

#2 3 years ago

Will it go into switch test mode?
    Does the start button register in test?

#3 3 years ago

if I go to dedicated switch test, the start button doesn't register.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from ludikris:

if I go to dedicated switch test, the start button doesn't register.

What other switches are not working? It is probably a whole row or column if you sent coil voltage down a switch wire.

#5 3 years ago

something major is wrong... I can't cycle rest any coils period. switch tests only runs through what is shown in the pic. cycling coils but nothing works.

20201030_095953 (resized).jpg20201030_095953 (resized).jpg
    #6 3 years ago

with glass off... in switch test mode... half the field doesn't work when I trigger pop bumpers.. targets etc...

#7 3 years ago

You may have blown chips on the MPU by sending high voltage to the switch matrix. Have you inspected the MPU for any obvious signs of damage?

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Switch_problems

#8 3 years ago
    20201030_004910 (resized).jpg20201030_004910 (resized).jpg20201030_004915 (resized).jpg20201030_004915 (resized).jpg20201030_005000 (resized).jpg20201030_005000 (resized).jpg
    #9 3 years ago

If you cant reinstall the carbon & smoke that came out of that 2N3904 Transistor; replace it.

#10 3 years ago

so would one transistor halt that many functions including game start?

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from ludikris:

Well, that's certainly *a* problem, but it might not necessarily be the *only* problem. Go ahead and replace it and then test everything again.

#12 3 years ago

thanks will do

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from ludikris:

Yes, it can.
    On my Big Buck Hunter Pro the wire to the Elk got hung up on a coil and when the Elk came out it ripped the wires out and shorted blowing a transistor like this.

All the GI worked, but the start button would not work and all the switches on that cuircuit were out.
    I replaced the burnt transistor and it fixed the problem.
    You are also going to want to test any of the switches on that cuircuit. In my case it burnt up one of the roll over switches along the way.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from ludikris:

Yes.

#15 3 years ago

my replacement transistor is a 2n3904-8. vs 2n3904-a. will that make a difference

#16 3 years ago

replaced that transistor and the game starts but no coils work period. investigating further... thoughts?

#17 3 years ago

cycled the coils and she works fine now..

thanks everyone!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shorted-my-kicker-target-now-game-won-t-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.