• Latest reply 4 years ago by andrewket
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

black knight help (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

I've been playing a lot of pinball this summer with my 10-year old, and one of the things we realized is that many people who have never played pinball before end up not liking pinball because they don't know what to do to get started, they hit the ball randomly, drain it quickly, and then quit. Some modern machines have short videos that show how to get a multiball, but many of the other basic modes and features are excluded.

Then, if you go to YouTube to look at videos on how to play pinball, almost all of the search results are two or three hour-long videos of full Twitch streams, so they're not in a short, easy to follow format to learn the basics of how to play a specific machine.

So we came up with a better way to help new players learn the basics of popular pinball games.

We started with Black Knight Sword of Rage (LE) and made a short video under two minutes that shows how to qualify and start a mode, start the two common multiballs, and how to use the Sword of Rage.

Then we made a QR code (and a bitly short URL) that we can place on the machine in a pub/bar/arcade, so new players can easily scan the code and view the tutorial video on YouTube. The video just has music with big text boxes with instructions, so it's easy to follow even in a loud place like a bar.

Have a look a the video and let me know what you think, and also what games you think we should focus on next!

Thanks to MyParentsBasemnt and ATLpb for the access to BKSORLE (and we spent $4 for enough games to film all the shots in the video!!)
black knight help (resized).pngblack knight help (resized).png

2 weeks later
#2 4 years ago

Nice clip. Well done. Captures the basics of the game well, and taught me something.

But I am still not clear on what the player needs to do in order to defeat the Knight?
Can you include that in the next version?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from billwinterberg:

I've been playing a lot of pinball this summer with my 10-year old, and one of the things we realized is that many people who have never played pinball before end up not liking pinball because they don't know what to do to get started, they hit the ball randomly, drain it quickly, and then quit. Some modern machines have short videos that show how to get a multiball, but many of the other basic modes and features are excluded.
Then, if you go to YouTube to look at videos on how to play pinball, almost all of the search results are two or three hour-long videos of full Twitch streams, so they're not in a short, easy to follow format to learn the basics of how to play a specific machine.
So we came up with a better way to help new players learn the basics of popular pinball games.
We started with Black Knight Sword of Rage (LE) and made a short video under two minutes that shows how to qualify and start a mode, start the two common multiballs, and how to use the Sword of Rage.

Then we made a QR code (and a bitly short URL) that we can place on the machine in a pub/bar/arcade, so new players can easily scan the code and view the tutorial video on YouTube. The video just has music with big text boxes with instructions, so it's easy to follow even in a loud place like a bar.
Have a look a the video and let me know what you think, and also what games you think we should focus on next!
Thanks to myparentsbasemnt and atlpb for the access to BKSORLE (and we spent $4 for enough games to film all the shots in the video!!)
[quoted image]

Wish Stern would do these videos, you think they would since your spending over 7000 grand or more on a premium/LE. I bet if they did more people would play and not feel intimidated .

#4 4 years ago

Nice video. Well produced.

Quoted from Carz5811:

Wish Stern would do these videos, you think they would since your spending over 7000 grand or more on a premium/LE. I bet if they did more people would play and not feel intimidated .

The latest code on Stern's do actually have a tutorial video in attract mode that is similar. At my locations I find more people have trouble finding the start button or knowing you can play multiple players

#5 4 years ago

Nice! I agree, stern should do these.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Electronics
FlipMods

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 16.00
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
11,795 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Highland Lakes, NJ
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/short-video-tutorials-for-new-players-bksorle-beta-test and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.