You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
IMG_5358 (1) (resized).JPG
IMG_5360 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Hey guys, while I await the arrival of my schematics for my sky jump I happen to have a new problem today. I noticed that when i hit the flipper button the score starts to increase on the tens reel and chimes as well.. so I opened her up and noticed a loud humming noise.. I also noticed that one of the chime solenoids is staying energized all the time. I noticed this because I took off the chime plates and the rod in the solenoid is in the up position all the time. when I pulled it out obviously it was hot. So I checked all the connections, plugs and it looks like everything is good to go. but it definitely is a constant open connection somewhere. anyone have any ideas where to start looking.. thanks.

#2 5 years ago

Check the point relay associated with that particular chime - it send the signal to the chime. It sounds like you have a set of contacts that are not opening as they should. (The point relay is in the head.)

I suspect you have a closed 10 point switch on the playfield that is causing your issue with the constant scoring. The vibration from the flipper is causing the switch to make contact - check the slingshots closely.

Report back

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Check the point relay associated with that particular chime - it send the signal to the chime. It sounds like you have a set of contacts that are not opening as they should. (The point relay is in the head.)
I suspect you have a closed 10 point switch on the playfield that is causing your issue with the constant scoring. The vibration from the flipper is causing the switch to make contact - check the slingshots closely.
Report back

thanks.. Im off to go look at those things you mentioned now. in the mean time I found a brown wire not attached to anything. It is bundled with the wires attached to the drop target assembly. I also noticed that there is no wire on the right drop target solenoid wire node.. I attached these pics.. maybe someone with the game can tell me where this wire goes and if there is supposed to be a wire attached to the second connection on that solenoid.

IMG_5358 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_5358 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_5360 (resized).JPGIMG_5360 (resized).JPG
#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Report back

ok you were right, that 10 pt relay in the head is definitely locked on. I can pull it back and watch the chime solenoid de-energize. now the question is " what is making it lock on?" I checked all the play field switches and they all work, and the slingshot seems pretty normal to me.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

a brown wire not attached to anything.

Yes both sides of the drop target coil should have wires. And it's most likely the brown wire you have.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#6 5 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

ok you were right, that 10 pt relay in the head is definitely locked on. I can pull it back and watch the chime solenoid de-energize. now the question is " what is making it lock on?" I checked all the play field switches and they all work, and the slingshot seems pretty normal to me.

Temporarily unplug the playfield from the head to verify a switch on the playfield is stuck.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Yes both sides of the drop target coil should have wires. And it's most likely the brown wire you have.
[quoted image]

Ok i wired it up, but did not make any difference. It’s still a open short on the 10pt rewlay somewhere

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Temporarily unplug the playfield from the head to verify a switch on the playfield is stuck.

Ok i did this and yes, once i remove the plug in the head the problem goes away

#9 5 years ago

This the most basic problem you’ll find on your game. This problem is above the playfield not below it.

A 10 point switch behind a rubber is stuck closed. Check all of these playfield switches until you find the one that is stuck closed and open it.

If you don’t yet have a switch adjuster buy one, along with both a hard and soft switch file. You can’t own an EM pinball game without these.

Call 845-473-7114 pinball resource.

#10 5 years ago

Put a piece of paper between every switch on the pf. As you remove them you will find the culprit.

#11 5 years ago

Ok well i figured it out ( with your help of course). Seems like the rubber band on the inside of the drop targets was shorting the 10pt switch inside the drop target area. I realigned the band and poof.. gone.. thanks for the help. !!

#12 5 years ago

I just want to say thanks so much for all your help guys. This is my first EM pin and I have learned a lot already by posting and receiving impute from the experts here. I have been building and restoring arcade machines for years, so moving to the EM side of things is really daunting, however I am loving it. Thanks again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/short-somewhere-?hl=tscottn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.