2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Nevus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

058_(resized).jpg
    056_(resized).jpg
    022_(resized).jpg
    021_(resized).jpg
    019_(resized).jpg
    020_(resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I was in Vegas for a week during the World Series of Poker and found some time for my wife and I to play a little pinball. We played at the PHOF and at NYNY (and just a bit at the Rio).

PHoF:
    We always stop here when in Vegas usually its not crowded and this past Sunday traffic was fairly light. Every time we come we find a few games with some issues, but for the most part we can find enough playable games to enjoy ourselves. This time was different, with the exception of GB, every game I put money into (pin or video) had some sort of problem.
    I tried to play:
    spyhunter video- weapons van button would not work making the game unplayable
    Kiss premium- bad switch in genes head, trough opto issue
    WW- several switches not working, cant advance through game
    Tron LE- multiple ball launches, slings not working
    RS- dozer didn't work, mini flipper didn't work, display issues
    Bally Kiss- unplayable
    Totan- stole .75

Those were the first 6 games I tried to play, I was then able to play GB but I think it was running different code than the one at NYNY but Im not sure. GB played ok.

I am very thankful to Tim for allowing the public to enjoy his collection but man he sure needs some help in there.

My wife and I playing GB at PHOF...
    056_(resized).jpg
    058_(resized).jpg

Next I played at the Rio only because I found a Stern Kiss in the Kiss store in the Masquerade area of the Rio. Played great.

Then we went to NYNY:
    WOW was my first impression, 10 amazing looking games in perfect condition
    GOT
    AC DC
    IM
    WOZ
    GHOSTBUSTERS
    KISS
    STAR TREK
    TWD
    MET
    020_(resized).jpg
    019_(resized).jpg

Every one was gorgeous with a few mods on each game, best routed line up I have ever seen
    The operator of the games was there working on the ST , I introduced myself and quickly found out he was very friendly and loved to talk pinball. Interestingly enough he told me IM was the best earner in that current line up.

I finally got to play a WOZ that actually worked, the one at the PHOF has never worked correctly every time I have been there. I really want to like this game but so far I cant get into it...I will keep trying

Comparing GOT and GB side by side was an eye opener, GOT looks barren and boring. GB just screams fun and I'm not even a fan of the theme...the game is a blast, my wife and I both loved it and we will probably own one soon. I also want to point out that the GB at NYNY has a center post installed which made it a bit more fun to play than the GB at the PHOF which was more of a drain monster.

GOT vs. GB
    021_(resized).jpg
    022_(resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Pretty sad the shape PHOF really is these days... Never been to NYNY. Need to check it out next time for sure~

#3 2 years ago

That is awesome. Thanks for the review. We have been to PHoF every time we visit Vegas, and like you leave every time a little disappointed that everything does not work on all the machines. For the PHoF I understand that the maintenance ask must be daunting to say the least. We will definitely try NYNY next time. That line up is sensational.

1 month later
    #4 2 years ago

Was at the PHoF a few nights ago. I enjoyed playing the Williams Granada next to a Spanish Eyes. Both had LED's galore but I've always wanted to play the Granada. Also played a Miss America Supreme (downgrade from the Miss America DeLuxe that used to be there) and it was pretty good looking with the LED's. The Home use Captain Fantastic with added coin mech to the start circuit was interesting. It helped make my visit have a negative machine play cost as the mech paid like a slot machine to me.

All machines were clean, including the ones shut off due to issues. Quite a few, at least 5% were off but I'm sure that doesn't affect revenue unless the place is packed. The curator was working on the Magic Baseball machine he had torn apart. He was walking back to the machine with a part and stopped to stare with his usual scowl at the paying (suckers, as he calls them) customers. I scowled back at him and he just stood there. Didn't even bother talking to him.

FYI, WoZ was turned on so assume "working" although dark in the Flipper area since it does not have the aftermarket added lighting.

#5 2 years ago

Nice review!

GOT may not LOOK as fun as GB, but it really is a fun game.

#6 2 years ago

Nice review! I live 10 minutes away from PHOF and I stopped going there a couple years ago. Its the SAME THING everytime I used to go in there....broken machines stealing your money. The machines that do "work" usually have some sort of issue. Its sad really. Reading peoples experiences here on Pinside it seems to never change either.

NYNY on the other hand......WOW!! is all I have to say. I frequently go there (20-30 min away) to play the perfect condition, beautiful to look at, modded, 100% operational Stern lineup. It seriously is amazing and a great time. The ball save times are set very generous so you really get your moneys worth. Also you can bring up a tallboy can of beer of choice and use the cup holders on every pin! Extreme Pinball is the operator for NYNY, he is on here and is a super nice guy who knows whats up!

There is another place near the strip called Flipperspiel Wunderland that is supposed to be pretty good but I'm happy with NYNY for now!

#7 2 years ago

My last trip to Vegas I skipped the phof for the first time ever. I just went to Nyny and played .

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

There is another place near the strip called Flipperspiel Wunderland that is supposed to be pretty good but I'm happy with NYNY for now

It's more like a private club than a public venue. I was there in March for a competition. About 20 pins, all in nice condition. Mix of all eras.

I believe they open it up Friday nights, but check on their website for details. (Google their name..).

rd

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from freezie:

My last trip to Vegas I skipped the phof for the first time ever. I just went to Nyny and played .

I skipped PHoF when I as there in '14 and was chastised here for it. Tim calling patrons suckers and openly stating that he doesn't really care about pinball rubbed me the wrong way.

#10 2 years ago

There was a whole thread on him a while ago, he seems like he needs help.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

There was a whole thread on him a while ago, he seems like he needs help.

He needs help but wont let anyone help him thus the current decay in the games there. Coincedently the same thing is happening at Pinball Pete's in Michigan which he used to own.

#12 2 years ago

PHOF I went once in 08 and brought 8 other friends to pass some time, I thought the place was just ok, reminded me of a arcade from my youth, dirty games, broken machinery, some out of order. I was playing a game next to a machine Tim was working on and tried to make small talk and said I brought some friends to experience vintage games and to pass a little time and I thought he was rude and could really care less people came and spent money. I would never go back, I would rather lay around the pool and sip gin & tonic.

#13 2 years ago

That's a real drag. I'm a huge PHoF fan / apologist but even I'm considering skipping the place during my next visit to Las Vegas.

#14 2 years ago

Thanks for the brutal honesty.

Not exactly something that everyone wants to hear, especially with the hobby continuing to die on location.

Personally, I appreciate your opinions.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

...he seems like he needs help.

Ha. In every sense of the word.

#16 2 years ago

PHOF is fine, but hasn't changed in a long time. I've been about 6 times in the few years. It has some competition now. Pinside has had debates on that, ad nauseum. No need to do that again.

For those that like modern games and don't mind paying more, NYNY seems great.

I'm sure it depends on your personality, expectations and budget. I'm thinking I will skip PHOF next time and go to NYNY for clean games and a cold beer.

Bellagio, for example, spends thousands on fresh flowers in the lobby daily. It's had the same beater POTC in the kids arcade for years. It's nice to see NYNY have games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,499.00
    $ 49.00
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 26.50
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 16.00
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside