Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ScreenHunter_70_Jul._18_04.15.jpg
P7170024.jpg
P7170022.jpg
P7150013.jpg
#1 8 years ago

After working on the MPU, the rectifier board and the regulator board I installed the rectifier board and checked the voltages - all good. Then I installed the regulator / solenoid board and checked the voltages - all good. Then I installed the MPU and the fuse for the 12 volt blew. I removed the MPU and re-checked it on the bench - 6 flashes - good.

Today I replaced the 12 volt fuse and rechecked all the voltages - every thing checks good. Then I reinstalled the MPU but this time I only plugged in J4. Turned it on and I get seven flashes.

This looks like (to me) that I have a short somewhere outside the MPU that is causing the 12 volts fuse to blow. I only have one 4 amp fuse left - any ideas where too look?

Thanks

Bob

P7150013.jpgP7150013.jpg

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

After working on the MPU, the rectifier board and the regulator board I installed the rectifier board and checked the voltages - all good.

Was 12V shorted before you worked on the boards? What did you do on the MPU? Could the other J headers on the MPU have been affected by your repairs--like a shorted pin or bad component?

Did you make any changes to the connectors (could a pin be swapped in the wrong hole)?

Someone mentioned this in another thread, but its better to make one repair at a time and test, so when there's a problem, you know what repair caused the problem (for future reference).

#3 8 years ago

Thanks Ken,

Quoted from KenH:

Was 12V shorted before you worked on the boards?

I'm not real sure but I think it was shorted before - I found a blown F3 fuse when I was testing the rectifier board.

Quoted from KenH:

What did you do on the MPU?

I repaired some corrosion and a burned hole under J4. (see this post : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/large-hole-in-mpu-100

But I'm confident the MPU repairs are OK. It checks out on the bench and I get seven flashes when it's installed with nothing else connected.

Quoted from KenH:

Did you make any changes to the connectors (could a pin be swapped in the wrong hole)?

I did change the J4 connector because the original was burnt. And I replaced all the crimp on connectors. But I'm very careful when doing this - I mark each empty connector slot and only change one connector at a time.

I'm thinking the problem is in the sound board - it uses 12 volts - J2 pin 5 & 6 shows 11.9 volts. But J2 is connected and the 12 volt fuse is not blown.

Bob

#4 8 years ago

Is it possible for a short in the 5 volt somewhere to take out the 12 fuse?

#5 8 years ago

You could try powering up with the sound card disconnected (and everything else connected) -- but it may blow your last fuse.

You could consider these, if you do even a few repairs, these are great:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/making-and-using-a-fuse-breaker#post-1309179

or you're probably going to need more fuses.

#6 8 years ago

Thanks Ken,

I've considered those breakers before but they seem to be a waste unless you work on machines a lot. I have plenty of 5 amp fuses but only one 4 amp left. My next GPE order will include more fuses or some breakers.

Tonight I connected everything except the sound card and it worked. I even ran the self test and played a few games (no sound). I removed the sound card and looked it over but don't see anything obvious shorted.

Any idea what would cause a short on the sound card?

Thanks

Bob

P7170022.jpgP7170022.jpg

P7170024.jpgP7170024.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Bob,
Its probably one of those Large caps that has failed. Look for a low resistance reading to ground.
You may have to isolate the problem by lifting parts in the 12volt circuit.
See schematic......... ScreenHunter_70 Jul. 18 04.15.jpgScreenHunter_70 Jul. 18 04.15.jpg

#8 8 years ago

^^^^great idea.

For testing, you might be able to power it with your bench supply before you put it in the machine--save that last fuse

#9 8 years ago

Today I installed a known working sound card from another machine. The good news is the fuse didn't blow but the bad news is I have no sound. I checked the voltage at TP1 and have 5 volts - at TP7 I have 13 volts.

Is there any way to check if the sound card is producing sound?

Tonight or tomorrow I'll try the questionable sound card into the other machine and see if it blows the fuse.

Thanks

Bob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/short-in-12-volt-but-where and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.