View topic image gallery

014_(1024x768).jpg
DSCF5335.JPG
086_(1024x768).jpg
103_(1024x768).jpg
037_(1024x768).jpg
#1 12 years ago

And I am looking for advice.

In the following pics, you can see a post someone installed directly in front of the crate. Removing the post, I see they drilled right through the play field.

037_(1024x768).jpg037_(1024x768).jpg

103_(1024x768).jpg103_(1024x768).jpg

My plan (and here's where i need the advice):
Clean
Rough sand the hole
Fill hole with JB Weld
Sand to level
Paint
Clear

The decal I have to cover the TERRIFYING! actually covers this spot as well.

Would you skip any of those steps since I am applying a decal?

Also, check out the last pic. Sweet number of play field for this pin! I think that adds value !

086_(1024x768).jpg086_(1024x768).jpg

#2 12 years ago

With what portion of the process? What concerns do you have? What condition is it in?

You havn't given us much to go off of

#3 12 years ago

Yah, I hit the upload button too quickly!

Thanks in advance.

#4 12 years ago

PC lumber from Home Hardware to fill the hole.

Cliffy tipped me off on that product when I was rebuilding the Axl outhole on my GnR for one of his protectors. The stuff is seriously easy to work with.

Wait! is that your second SS? I don't remember the one you bought here being so rough.

#5 12 years ago

Nope, it's the one that was in Wonderland. It's actually in amazing shape for being routed. Spider hole has very little wear, no broken plastics, ramps are great, all mechanics work. Just the area in front of the crate. The stupid post (not sure why they did that) and the wear through the art to the play field. The decal will cover that all up nicely. Once finished, it will be the nicest in the province I'm sure!

#6 12 years ago

There were some strange things that I noted on that machine. The skull pile in the right hand side lit (that was supposed to be only on the prototypes). It also had the left drain kick back hole that they were going to use before it got cut for budget purposes.

Mabye it was number 13.

#7 12 years ago

Do you know why_ they put that post in front of the crate?

#8 12 years ago

Yes, I can't figure out for the life of me what would have compelled someone to do that.

#9 12 years ago

That's funny, i actually do the same thing as you...

DSCF5335.JPGDSCF5335.JPG

#10 12 years ago

If your going to fill the hole and sand it smooth then cover it with a decal I don't see why you would have to paint it.

just make sure the whole area under the decal is smooth.

Also if your going to clear this playfield maybe you could just touch up the area with paint and don't use a decal at all. As long as you can color match good, I would go without the decal. Why? The decal will be raised above the surface of the playfield and will be hard to get smooth with the clear. It will take many coats with sanding between coats to get that area smooth so you can't feel the decal. I would try to match the paint and touch it up first, if you don't like how it looks then use the decal.

#11 12 years ago

Experienced players can keep the crate multi-ball going for a very very long time. I guess an operator notised this and decided to improvise.

Scared Stiff is beat for being too easy. And the crate should perhaps have been made a little different. Maybe leaving more room for the eb/dh shot, which is very difficult. Also the crate (lid) is keen on trapping the ball, and it is often quite difficult to shake it loose again.

Still a very well designed game with the best speech package of any pin IMO. Though it troubles me, that they painted Elvira on the playfield twice!!!

A favourite of mine.

#12 12 years ago

Decided not to paint, and just applied the decal. I'm happy with the results. We'll see how it holds up on location.

I am still wondering why they put the post there. I think you may be right Soren, they decided to 'toughen' the game, and made the crate shot a little tighter. The crate mech works fine, so I don't think it was an issue with the crate.

014_(1024x768).jpg014_(1024x768).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

£ 49.00
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 37.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

£ 39.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 249.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shopping-my-scared-stiff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.