Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo.JPG
Tools.JPG
Ramp.JPG
photo_(32).JPG
#1 11 years ago

I just picked up a machine for a good price. Everything appears to be working and it is in great condition except for the dirty play field and one of the cars doesnt go back down upon start up. I want to remove everything and clean it, but man it is really intimidating me. Is this something best left to a professional? Also, what are the best cleaners and waxes to use? Thanks

#2 11 years ago

Go for it. Take a lot (and I mean a lot) of photos at each stage of removal. Keep the photos in order so you can use them in reverse to put the game back together. Get some small parts bags or a plastic parts box and segregate, and label, the small hardware as you remove it. For example, left ramp parts, slingshot parts, etc.

See following articles for cleaning and wax.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/playfield/139-cleaning-playfield?highlight=YToxOntpOjA7czo4OiJjbGVhbmluZyI7fQ==

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/tools-and-supplies/141-pinball-wax

#3 11 years ago

Just did my Corvette.....it wasn't all that hard.

It's a lot easier than my TZ or DM was, that's for sure.

Yes, take LOTS of pictures...and from various angles!!!

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

and from various angles!!!

+1. Forgot to mention that. It always seems like I have a shot of the area, but not from the angle I need.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks for the info. Will there be any de-soldering needed?

#6 11 years ago

no de-soldering....everything is plug and play or switches unbolt....also upon assembly, you really need to consider LEDS in the popbumpers as the lower right can't be changed until the right ramp is off...Good luck and let me know how is goes...considering shopping my Corvette...that long right ramp kinda scares me..if the dragstip isn't working I suspect the optos may be out

#7 11 years ago

Dragstrip could also be a stripped gear or the long cable the car connects to broken. Or a problem on the dragstrip controller board.
Corvette is a PITA to shop IMO. Don't know about TZ as I haven't done one but this is the most difficult one I have done.

Novus 1, 2 and 3 and Carnuba Wax. Do a search for more info than you ever wanted to know on this stuff.

#8 11 years ago

One more thing, the volume decrease button doesnt work either but the increase button works. It is way too loud right now and very annoying. I am new to all this so im not really sure where to start. New switch?

#9 11 years ago

Most likely. Check for broken wires to the switch. Get some DeoxIT contact cleaner and give it a good spray before replacing.

Skip the Novus 1, 2 and 3. That's polishing, not cleaning and if you want to polish the playfield there's much better solutions.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Most likely. Check for broken wires to the switch. Get some DeoxIT contact cleaner and give it a good spray before replacing.
Skip the Novus 1, 2 and 3. That's polishing, not cleaning and if you want to polish the playfield there's much better solutions.

I agree with Terry here. I use simple green to clean everything from ramps to playfield.

On the vol down switch, you could try to jump the wires with a paper clip. If you're going to shop the pin, you need a rudimentary understanding of how switches work and are wired and not be afraid if there is some light soldering.

#11 11 years ago

While you have the machine torn down, you might want to consider adding a lamp to the upper right pop bumper.

They didn't put one in in the factory.

It really adds a lot more light to that area of the playfield.

#12 11 years ago

It looks scary but it's quite simple actually. Just dig in!

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

It looks scary but it's quite simple actually. Just dig in!

I agree.

When it comes to shopping out a machine, I found that w/ Corvette, I actually didn't have to take as many pictures as I did with other machines.

The machine has a pretty crowded playfield, but in reality, it all comes apart fairly easily.

#14 11 years ago

Thanks guys. Digging in today.

#15 11 years ago

will a corvette fit in a corvette?

#16 11 years ago

So heres a pic of the switch. The volume down button is marked with the line and it looks like the wire has been moved directly across from where it was judging my the remaining solder. Is that my problem? Sould I move it back? I know nothing about electrical.

photo_(32).JPGphoto_(32).JPG

#17 11 years ago

Wickedquickss said:
"also upon assembly, you really need to consider LEDS in the popbumpers as the lower right can't be changed until the right ramp is off"

Actually, I changed the lamp in the lower popbumper by drilling two 1/8 in holes in the ramp directly above the screws. I used a 1/8 in phillips screwdriver and a magnetic pick-up tool to grab the screws, then a tweezer with heat shrink tubing on the tips, removed the old bulb. I reassembled in reverse order. I did the same for the upper right only to discover no bulb or socket.
(Caution, when drilling plastic use dull drill bits. I started with a 1/16th then a 1/8th bit)

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Dmm55mm:

So heres a pic of the switch. The volume down button is marked with the line and it looks like the wire has been moved directly across from where it was judging my the remaining solder. Is that my problem? Sould I move it back? I know nothing about electrical.

On my machine, the wires attach to the pins adjacent to the pins that the common wire is soldered to. The pins that the common wire runs through (not soldered) are empty. So the wire on the down volume should be moved over.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from DennisAZ:

Actually, I changed the lamp in the lower popbumper by drilling two 1/8 in holes in the ramp directly above the screws.

Wait wait wait....what???

#20 11 years ago

Here are a couple of pictures

Ramp.JPGRamp.JPG Tools.JPGTools.JPG

#21 11 years ago

If you raise the volume up, can you lower it back down to 8 and then it gets stuck? If so the min vol override needs to be turned on in the adjustments. I am not in front of my machine, otherwise I would tell you where the setting is .

#22 11 years ago

Nope, doesnt go down at all.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Dmm55mm:

On my machine, the wires going from left to right switches in your picture are:
Orange with green stripe
Orange with blue stripe (volume down)
Orange with purple stripe (volume up)
Orange with grey stripe

Also make sure the common wire that runs through all switches is soldered adjacent to the above four wires.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from DennisAZ:

Actually, I changed the lamp in the lower popbumper by drilling two 1/8 in holes in the ramp directly above the screws.

Quoted from NightTrain:

I thought the same thing.

I'd never drill holes in my ramps. Those ramps are made out of unobtainium.

#25 11 years ago

Moved the wire and it works fine...thanks. Next thing is the drag strip and the engine. The engine doesnt shake like it should and im wondering if anyone has dealt with this before. And both cars go up on the drag strip at start up but the blue one doesnt come back down. I started to take it apart and there are several wires that run into the back that I couldn't figure out how to unhook. They run into the back right under the right side of the back box and I dont see anyway to access them without popping that piece of wood that the back box sits on. Id like to at least open that up and look for anything obvious.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Dmm55mm:

I started to take it apart and there are several wires that run into the back that I couldn't figure out how to unhook. They run into the back right under the right side of the back box and I dont see anyway to access them without popping that piece of wood that the back box sits on. Id like to at least open that up and look for anything obvious.

You should have a few sets of wires, if I remember correctly. 2 sets go to disconnects located under the playfield, then you also have wiring going to 2 connectors mounted to the board that controls the drag strip. That is located under the playfield as well.

None of the wies coming out of the back of the drag strip go to the back box.

#27 11 years ago

Wow I feel like a dumbass. It never occurred to me to pull the play field out when I was messing with that thing the first time. Slid it out and it was very easy to access. Opened it up and the motor for the blue car isnt reversing. Looked relatively easy to replace, maybe Ill give it a shot.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I'd never drill holes in my ramps. Those ramps are made out of unobtainium.

I have (1) (NEW) Route 66 Ramp available for sale, The GIANT right ramp that then raps around the back of the playfield. It comes with 2 NEW decails-- $300 +shipping Very Rare.

thanks
Scott
Detroit Pinball

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kenosha, WI
Machine - For Sale
Etten-leur, NB
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Smyrna, TN
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shopping-a-corvette-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.