(Topic ID: 107607)

"Shopped Pinballs" -Let's stop the madness!

By Giardiasis

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 176 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by floyd1977
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3.gif
    2.gif
    4.gif
    5.gif
    DSC09060.JPG
    WIZ-11033.jpg
    DSC09104.JPG
    DSC09053.JPG
    DSC09102.JPG
    111655-i.jpg
    20140628_201343.jpg
    IMG_23456749079754.jpeg
    20141026_151323.jpg
    20140705_184927.jpg
    20140705_184836.jpg
    20140628_201303.jpg
    There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Can't you find something better than an ad hominem attack? (ps: google will help you here)
    I would say pending the amount of thumb-downs you received on your thread, you aren't in the majority here.
    I'd just go away rather quietly.

Non-sequitur! Your not the only one to have taken philosophy 101-lol

#52 9 years ago

OP, you keep talking about "fair market value." When I hear that term I think of what a hypothetical average buyer would pay for a particular machine, in the particular condition that particular machine happens to be in. So a TAF with mold and planking will have a different "fair market value" than a fresh-off-route TAF, which will in turn have a different "fair market value" than a TAF that's received a recent, thorough cleaning and adjustment.

It sounds to me like you enjoy "shopping" games yourself, and don't value certain "mods" such as LEDs, so, to you they do not add to the value of a pin. But surely you recognize that some buyers do value these things, which is why they increase the "fair market value" (which is not what a particular pin is worth to you but instead what it is worth to a hypothetical average buyer).

#53 9 years ago

Look at it this way:

You want to buy a 2010 Toyota Corolla. Blue Book value on the car is (near as makes no difference) $10k. You're looking at two available for sale from private sellers.

Car 1 has 30k miles. It has new tires and brakes. The oil was just changed, and coolant was just flushed. It has never needed any body work, or major repair. It has a clear title. It has receipts for all the work that was done. It's $10,500.

Car 2 has 50k miles. The tires and brakes are original and are worn out. The oil was changed around 5k miles ago, probably. It has a few very minor dings, but has a clear title also. It doesn't have receipts for anything. It costs $9500. It will cost $900 for tires, oil, brakes, etc. on a good day if you do the work yourself and lose a whole day shopping for and installing parts.

Which do you buy?

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

OP, you keep talking about "fair market value." (snip.)

Good points made here. "Fair market value" can be very subjective. Factors that can influence what a game will actually sell for include but aren't limited to:
    Geographic location.
    Functional condition.
    Cosmetic condition of a LOT of things, like the cabinet, playfield, plastics. Corrosion.
    Condition of circuit boards.
    Whether there are any hacks in the game.
    How it plays.
    Whether routine maintenance has been performed recently.

#55 9 years ago

OP: The value of any collectible item is based on condition. The same is true of a car. For cars, there is fair, average, above-average, excellent, etc. How clean and/or waxed the vehicle is directly impacts the actual (or perceived) condition. As a seller, you can increase the value (and I have) by indicating I just had the car serviced and try to convince the buyer that it will require no effort on their part. I would say the same is true of a pin.

What I find very funny is that you talk about what should or shouldn't increase (or decrease) the value beyond "fair-market value". What does fair market value mean to a collectible item? There is no such thing. You can determine what other machines have gone for, but that has implication on what your particular pin is or isn't worth. If it has add-ons (ie: toppers, playfield toys, after-market items, or even LEDs as you mentioned), that *IS* going to increase the value to the right buyer. That is their fair-market value.

If you don't like the fact that a seller is marking up a game because it's "shopped"/serviced, then don't buy from him/her. Go somewhere else. Nobody is forcing you to buy anything.

The biggest issue IMHO with the term "shopped" is that there is no clear definition of what that means. It means one thing to one person and a different thing to another.

Jaz

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

And why wouldn't you sell it for more if it had leds? Someone had to buy those, right?

because most LEDs look like ass and people just think brighter is better.

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

Dude, were you beaten as a kid. You seem very hostile (what some refer to as an internet tough guy)

+1 You just get in a fight with the wife? Go bitch somewhere else!

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

You don't have to buy a machine with LEDs at the machine + LED price. But it seems lame to get mad at a seller asking that price, since the LEDs (and the effort that went into install them) are presumably worth something to some folks, even if they're worthless to you (and BTW, I personally agree that there are many, many ugly LED jobs out there).

LEDs are like any other mod. If the installer wants a quick sale, they may have to remove the mod (or take a loss on it) because some buyers won't value it at all. Or they can leave the mod in and attempt to recoup some/all of their mod costs, but may have to wait for a sale because they'll be waiting on a buyer that will appreciate the mods, decreasing the size of their potential market.

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

If you don't want leds in the pin I sell you, then remove them. I'm not doing it for you and I'm not charging you less bc you're a cry baby.

And I won't pay you more for having bad taste.

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

Non-sequitur! Your not the only one to have taken philosophy 101-lol

no, but he did pass english.

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

You don't have to buy a machine with LEDs at the machine + LED price. But it seems lame to get mad at a seller asking that price, since the LEDs (and the effort that went into install them) are presumably worth something to some folks, even if they're worthless to you (and BTW, I personally agree that there are many, many ugly LED jobs out there).
    LEDs are like any other mod. If the installer wants a quick sale, they may have to remove the mod (or take a loss on it) because some buyers won't value it at all. Or they can leave the mod in and attempt to recoup some/all of their mod costs, but may have to wait for a sale because they'll be waiting on a buyer that will appreciate the mods, decreasing the size of their potential market.

who's mad?

#62 9 years ago

I would have said OP.

#63 9 years ago

FMV, as the term is used by the OP, holds different for a game missing parts, one complete and un-shoppped, one complete and shopped, one restored, one broken, and one with mold, ect. They all have completely different values in an open market.

This holds very little relevance to the absolute fair market value of a "shopped game".

I am trying to understand the logic here but shopped Pinbot #1 and shopped Pinbot #2 are going to be held to MUCH higher stipulations than simply "are they shoped?" when trying to determine a fair price. If they are in EXACTLY the same condition in every exact way, the shopped one will fetch a higher price in an open market. No idea how it could be any other way.

As a rule on the internet, most people ask a few hundred more than the price they are willing to accept. (I have always despised this and just ask the price I want for things. Saves time and BS back and forth about offers and such.) Maybe you are referring to that ideal rather than the "shopped" one you proposed.

#64 9 years ago

I think there are a few situations being lumped into one in this post. First if you bought a really nice pin, cleaned everything, installed LEDs and took care of it, then by all means please sell it for above market price. Pinsiders and collectors will appreciate your effort. However, if I you put $3000 worth of time and material into a pin which is only worth $1000 at best, well then you sir are an idiot if you expect someone to pay above $1000.

Sometimes people do the minimum amount of work in order to charge the unsuspecting a large sum of cash. When I first read this post I got the impression that this is what Giardiasis referencing. People use "shopping" in order to justify stupidly high pricing on a pin when they may have done very little.

#65 9 years ago

I only see pins in 4 catigories:
    1. Non working/routed
    2. Players quality / non shopped
    3. Shopped working
    4. Collectors quality

I wouldn't bash a seller for wanting more $ for LEDs or mods but most people who collect can do their own custom job. I like shopping my pins when they arrive so I stay clear of "shopped" priced games.

#66 9 years ago

Ok, let me break down a scenario for you.

You meet a seller with two pins at his house, say two T2's. For simplicity, we will refer to them as T2(a) and T2(b).
    You exam them both, and they are identical in every way. "Wow!", you exclaim to the seller. "Both of these machines are beautiful representations". The seller nods in agreement, and blurts suddenly, "they sure is, ain't they".
    "How much are you asking for the pins?", you inquisitively ask.
    You are shocked by the sellers answer! He states, "Well, this here pin (T2a) I am asking $1800. "And the other?", you inquire.
    "Oh, that one over there (T2b), you mean. I would need at least $2,500"
    "$2,500!", you gasp as you choke on your own spittle.
    "What's the difference between the two?", you state in disbelief.
    "Well, these two pins are HUO (you inwardly chuckle), but this here pin (T2b) has just been shopped out three months ago. You know, shopping a pin takes lots of time. You gotta buy some Novus to clean the playfield. I gotta order new rubbers from ********, plus I have to pay shipping. You know, back when I was your age, shipping cost a dime. These here rubbers cost me $5 dollars to ship. I used to be able to buy 50 Coca Colas with $5 dollars back in the day. But anyway, I digress. The reason for the price difference is this here little shop job."
    "But I really want this pin here!", you point to the T2(b). "Can I get it for $1800 as well?"
    "Damn here boy, you listen to me, you hear. I just been done telling you about the shop job, the rubbers, the Novox, and all 'em Coca Colas. This is what I have been reading on that there website Pinside.com, especially that Blackbeard character. He's kind of a wanker, but he sure knows his stuff. Boy, back were I am from, we would call you a tire kicker"

Exasperated, you walk away, feeling like you had just finished being in a Twilight Zone episode.

This is the kind of issue that the OP is addressing. I hope it helps. I have had enough of this thread already. That's all I have to say about THAT!

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

I think there are a few situations being lumped into one in this post. First if you bought a really nice pin, cleaned everything, installed LEDs and took care of it, then by all means please sell it for above market price. Pinsiders and collectors will appreciate your effort. However, if I you put $3000 worth of time and material into a pin which is only worth $1000 at best, well then you sir are an idiot if you expect someone to pay above $1000.
    Sometimes people do the minimum amount of work in order to charge the unsuspecting a large sum of cash. When I first read this post I got the impression that this is what Giardiasis referencing. People use "shopping" in order to justify stupidly high pricing on a pin when they may have done very little.

Thank you. This is correct!

#68 9 years ago

I want to join the argument but I also want people to sell me shopped, LED'd machines without any price increase LED's are worthless, JD is a $1400 game.

#69 9 years ago

--> o This is a circle, please, talk around it....

#70 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

no, but he did pass english.

Irony at its finest!

#71 9 years ago

When I buy or sell a machine I look at it like this.
    Buying....

Less work for me when I get it home = pay more $$

More work for me when I get it home = pay less $$

Selling....

Less work for the buyer when he/she gets it home = get more $$

More work for the buyer when he/she gets it home = get less $$

I think thats common sence. And how every buy/sell transaction works.
    Unless I'm missing something?

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

You meet a seller with two pins at his house, say two T2's. For simplicity, we will refer to them as T2(a) and T2(b).
    You exam them both, and they are identical in every way. "Wow!", you exclaim to the seller. "Both of these machines are beautiful representations". The seller nods in agreement, and blurts suddenly, "they sure is, ain't they".
    You are shocked by the sellers answer! He states, "Well, this here pin (T2a) I am asking $1800. "And the other?", you inquire.
    "Well, these two pins are HUO (you inwardly chuckle), but this here pin (T2b) has just been shopped out three months ago. You know, shopping a pin takes lots of time. You gotta buy some Novus to clean the playfield. I gotta order new rubbers from ********, plus I have to pay shipping. You know, back when I was your age, shipping cost a dime. These here rubbers cost me $5 dollars to ship. I used to be able to buy 50 Coca Colas with $5 dollars back in the day. But anyway, I digress. The reason for the price difference is this here little shop job."
    "But I really want this pin here!", you point to the T2(b). "Can I get it for $1800 as well?"
    "Damn here boy, you listen to me, you hear. I just been done telling you about the shop job, the rubbers, the Novox, and all 'em Coca Colas. This is what I have been reading on that there website Pinside.com, especially that Blackbeard character. He's kind of a wanker, but he sure knows his stuff. Boy, back were I am from, we would call you a tire kicker"
    Exasperated, you walk away, feeling like you had just finished being in a Twilight Zone episode.
    This is the kind of issue that the OP is addressing. I hope it helps. I have had enough of this thread already. That's all I have to say about THAT!

Sounds like T2a was a great deal - why would you want T2b so badly?
    Unless it was actually in much better shape?

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

Sounds like T2a was a great deal - why would you want T2b so badly?
    Unless it was actually in much better shape?

I was thinking the same thing. As "they're both identical in every way" why in the world would you pay $700 more for the T2b? You wouldn't and neither would most.

I wish you the best of luck finding an unshopped pin, I really do. I've never purchased a shopped machine because:

1. I enjoy restoring them myself and
    2. They will typically cost more as a shopped pin has greater value.

When you purchase an unshopped machine you are assuming a greater risk and potential cost. It's as simple as that.

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

I get where you are coming from, but take choice A. It's nice to have choices and that hypo seller won't do well with game B. In the end you will value the game for what it is. Btw, I've always taken the term "OP" to mean original poster. You using OP is talking in the 3rd person. Anyway, happy

#75 9 years ago
    #76 9 years ago

So... You expect to pay the same price for a game that's shopped as opposed to fresh off route? Thats asinine.

#77 9 years ago

Christ, close this thread. OP, don't buy the game if you think it's over priced. Why do people advertise shopped and charge above avg? Who gives a rats ass. You are not going to change it by posting here. Pay what you want to lay and move on if it's not right!

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

Huh?

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

I disagree too with the OP. A good shop job has value. I pay more for well shopped out pins.
    ----------
    I do 'get it' that a subset of buyers would rather buy a pin for $2,000 dirty than pay $2,600 for one that has had the treatment. A subset of those buyers would then want to talk you down to $1,400 because it's dirty.

Agreed. There's also a subset of buyers who don't know *how* to shop a pin and therefore are willing to pay a little bit of a premium for one that has already been gone through. How do you think that people like TNT Amusements stay in business?

#80 9 years ago

The thread just keeps getting worse. Giardiasis, I really don't think pinball is the right hobby for you. Maybe a different hobby would suit you better. You know, like crack.

#81 9 years ago

If you take 2 of the same games in similar condition and shop the lesser of the 2. Give the buyer a choice pin1 for 2k or pin2 for at least $300 more. Guess which one sells first every time. I myself will gladly pay more for a shopped game.

I have some unshopped games for fair market price if you want to stop by and see if your mind changes.

20140628_201303.jpg20140628_201303.jpg 20140705_184836.jpg20140705_184836.jpg 20140705_184927.jpg20140705_184927.jpg 20141026_151323.jpg20141026_151323.jpg IMG_23456749079754.jpegIMG_23456749079754.jpeg 20140628_201343.jpg20140628_201343.jpg 111655-i.jpg111655-i.jpg
    #82 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I disagree with ops post.
    I just spent a lot of time and effort, not to mention money shopping my gnr. If I sold it preshopped, it woulda been a lot less.
    And why wouldn't you sell it for more if it had leds? Someone had to buy those, right?
    Totally disagree with your post.

I don't have a lot of experience with selling as I've only owned a few machines but I will say this... When I bought my Data East Star Wars as soon as I got it home I gutted it, cleaned it from head to toe, re-rubbered it and waxed it. (And when I say head to toe, I'm talking play field. I wouldn't necc. call my job a "full shop" cause there's still old switches and fuses and crap bouncing around in my cabinet. I don't really fuss about that stuff too much.)

Anyway... that "semi-shop" job cost me a few bucks and about 13 hours of my time. If a seller told me a pin was $X pre-shopped and $X + $100 or $200 because of 10+ hours of work they did cleaning it up and upon inspection that appeared to be a legit claim... I'd say it would be a $100 or $200 well spent.

And in regards to the comment the OP made about selling cars... I don't think cleaning your car INCREASES your price. But, I would say NOT CLEANING your car before trying to sell it drastically decreases the chances of you selling it and might lower what the buying is willing to offer because of their perceived lower value of what you're selling.

The same argument could be made about real estate... What's wrong with selling you're house with crap all over the place? The buyer should know that crap will be no longer there once they move in? Answer... People think less of the house and see less of the positive points thus lowering their perceived value/their offer.

For me it wouldn't make or break a purchase of a pin but it's worth knowing.

#83 9 years ago

If a and b are identical in EVERY way, why on earth would you want or buy b for $700 more?

#84 9 years ago

Make it stop. Make the pricing threads stop.

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

If a and b are identical in EVERY way, why on earth would you want or buy b for $700 more?

Because Coca-Cola.

First game was Pepsi.

#86 9 years ago

There's as many opinions about shopping a pin as there are conditions of pins. What you should evaluate and pay for is the condition of the pin at that moment in time, regardless of how it got there. The plastic is clean, you say? Huh, I don't care whether it has been clean for a hundred years or you cleaned it yesterday. That is the what I am looking at as I formulate an opinion of what I think that I would be willing to pay for it. I might simply pay more because I simply want the pin more than the next guy.

Quoted from calvin12:

There's about 500 LED discussion threads. If you don't like them that's fine, join the incandescent fan club too.

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

Yes, absolutely it cost you money, but why would you have the audacity to expect a future buyer to pay you back you're ROI? You chose to LED pin and take your time for labour. It shouldn't increase the pin BEYOND/above fair market value just because you decided it so

Simple. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

#88 9 years ago

My issue with shopped is how broad a term it is. One person calls a clean center playfield with ball trails on ramps and behind any ramp or pop bumper shopped.

To me a shopped machine should be totally taken apart. Entire playfield cleaned up and if needed touched up. Should have either a clear coat or non bubbled Mylar on it. All of the lights should be in working order. Led or regular bulb they should all work. All of the switches should be adjusted and working properly. New Rubber, Flippers rebuilt. All of the displays should be working correctly. New balls.

Does any of that sound like asking to much for use of the word shopped?

#89 9 years ago
    Quoted from mainelycoasters:

Yes. I think you're darn near bordering on "light restore".

#90 9 years ago

To me, shopping is a tear down of the major playfield components, removing plastics and cleaning under them, replacing burnt out bulbs, all rubber rings and post rubbers, rebuilding pop bumpers in obvious need of rebuilding (broken skirts), cleaning all plastics and ramps on both sides, rebuilding flippers and putting new sleeves in all of the important coils.

#91 9 years ago

Shopping a pin the right way is a pain in the ass and take at least a couple of hours IMO to do it right. Although I enjoy shopping my pins, it's value is at least at $150 if done properly. $250-300 is probably more realistic for a thorough job in terms of value.

#92 9 years ago

Should have either a clear coat or non bubbled Mylar on it.

I don't think this has any bearing on shopped or not. A restored playfield might get a clear coat, and you have to do a heck of a lot of prep work to prepare for a clear coat, and it can be very expensive to have someone do it for you. I hate mylar and remove it from all my games, I like straight up bare playfields and just wax them for protection.

Quoted from Toasterdog:

Shopping a pin the right way is a pain in the ass and take at least a couple of hours IMO to do it right.

It takes me a couple hours just to do a light cleaning. A full shop the "right" way is going to take a lot more than a few hours, IMO.

#93 9 years ago

A couple hours to

"Shop a pin the right way"

Oh brother.

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

To me, shopping is a tear down of the major playfield components, removing plastics and cleaning under them, replacing burnt out bulbs, all rubber rings and post rubbers, rebuilding pop bumpers in obvious need of rebuilding (broken skirts), cleaning all plastics and ramps on both sides, rebuilding flippers and putting new sleeves in all of the important coils.

I happen to do all that and more. I like to replace flipper bats, cabinet buttons, screws, washers, metal posts etc. I like my machines to be in a close to like new as possible. Plus, I wax under the apron, all metal/ball contact surfaces including troughs, ramps, guides, etc. I will take weeks to go through a machine. If I sold some of my machines, there would be very little to do to them. You are absolutely right. What you listed is a true shop job to me.

#95 9 years ago

Why has anyone engauged the OP in even beginning a conversation about the value of a shopped bs nonshopped pin? If he can't see the value in it, that's his problem. Not trying to be rude but come on. pins are like classic cars, condition is everything.

Post edited by inhomearcades: damn iphone autocorrect

#96 9 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

Why has anyone engulfed the OP in even beginning a conversation about the value of a shopped bs nonshopped pin? If he can't see the value in it, that's his problem. Not trying to be rude but come on. pins are like classic cars, condition is everything.

But to the OP, that new engine, paint job, new tires and leather interior you put in that car should be free and you should not have the "audacity to expect a future buyer to pay for it" lol

#97 9 years ago

LEDs on a pinball machine are just like a swimming pool in the back yard of a house you're buying. Some people are looking for them and are willing to pay more for a house that has one. to others, they're a hassle and see no value in them and therefore, aren't willing to pay more for the house because there's a pool. That said, the seller has all the right to ask what he wants for his house. He's just hoping someone comes along looking for a house with a pool that's already in the back yard because of the value they see in the pool being there.
    Especially if there's a color changing LED in the pool!!

#98 9 years ago

To me a shopped out pin should be able to go home and play well. have no errors and be clean. When I say bubbled mylar or touch up i am talking of things that would effect game play in major ways. not the slight cosmetic bubble but something that will change the balls directions severely

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

There's about 500 LED discussion threads. If you don't like them that's fine, join the incandescent fan club too.

I'm not anti LED at all. 7 of my 9 are full LED. I'm anti crappy burn holes in your head LEDs.

#100 9 years ago

My issue with shopped is how broad a term it is. One person calls a clean center playfield with ball trails on ramps and behind any ramp or pop bumper shopped.
    To me a shopped machine should be totally taken apart. Entire playfield cleaned up and if needed touched up. Should have either a clear coat or non bubbled Mylar on it. All of the lights should be in working order. Led or regular bulb they should all work. All of the switches should be adjusted and working properly. New Rubber, Flippers rebuilt. All of the displays should be working correctly. New balls.

I agree with that, EXCEPT for the part about clearcoat. If I'm looking at a shopped Mata Hari, I don't expect clearcoat or mylar on it.

When I shop a game, though, I do a full top-side teardown, clean and wax. I do a flipper rebuild the majority of the time. All switches are made to work. New balls are installed.

There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shopped-pinballs-lets-stop-the-madness/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.