(Topic ID: 107607)

"Shopped Pinballs" -Let's stop the madness!

By Giardiasis

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 176 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by floyd1977
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3.gif
    2.gif
    4.gif
    5.gif
    DSC09060.JPG
    WIZ-11033.jpg
    DSC09104.JPG
    DSC09053.JPG
    DSC09102.JPG
    111655-i.jpg
    20140628_201343.jpg
    IMG_23456749079754.jpeg
    20141026_151323.jpg
    20140705_184927.jpg
    20140705_184836.jpg
    20140628_201303.jpg
    There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 9 years ago

I see this term slingshot (no pun intended) :Don most every sale ad locally and on the net when it comes to the sale of a pin. My question is simple! Why do sellers feel it's justified to charge ABOVE market value because their pin was shopped? What does "shopped" even mean? It's like trying to define what is "good".
    Nobody on "auto trader" tries to sell their car for an above market value because it was recently "washed and waxed".
    If you buy a pin that needs to be cleaned and "shopped", don't expect to sell it for more than its worth just because you "shopped" it!

And let's not even get started about sellers trying to get more money because of LED's

#2 9 years ago

Let's just stop using that blanket term and detail what we did. I believe in full transparency when selling a pin, I list every last thing I did to it.

#3 9 years ago

I disagree with ops post.

I just spent a lot of time and effort, not to mention money shopping my gnr. If I sold it preshopped, it woulda been a lot less.

And why wouldn't you sell it for more if it had leds? Someone had to buy those, right?

Totally disagree with your post.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I disagree.
    I just spent a lot of time and effort, not to mention money shopping my gnr. If I sold it preshopped, it woulda been a lot less.
    And why wouldn't you sell it for more if it had leds? Someone had to buy those, right?

Agree, just be honest with what exactly was "shopped" and let the market determine the price. LEDs are worth something to some people. Post lots of detailed pics and describe the good AND bad. Most Pinsiders seem to follow these rules. I've never had issues when all my questions are answered.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I disagree.

Yes, absolutely it cost you money, but why would you have the audacity to expect a future buyer to pay you back you're ROI? You chose to LED pin and take your time for labour. It shouldn't increase the pin BEYOND/above fair market value just because you decided it so

#6 9 years ago

While always a good topic, this subject matter has been extensively discussed here on pinside. Some judicious searching here on the forum can give you plenty of insight on this topic.

While I'm not sure there have been any new developments on this topic, you never know.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

Nobody on "auto trader" tries to sell their car for an above market value because it was recently "washed and waxed".
    If you buy a pin that needs to be cleaned and "shopped", don't expect to sell it for more than its worth just because you "shopped" it!
    And let's not even get started about sellers trying to get more money because of LED's

If I am buying a used car, I damn well WILL expect to pay less if the interior of the car is a mess, and the exterior is not clean.

Same goes for a pinball. If the game is dirty and generally unkempt, I expect a lower asking price.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

If I am buying a used car, I damn well WILL expect to pay less if the interior of the car is a mess, and the exterior is not clean.
    Same goes for a pinball. If the game is dirty and generally unkempt, I expect a lower asking price.

Your missing the point of the OP! I am talking about paying ABOVE fair market value just because it was "shopped". Would you pay above market value for your car just because the seller used Macquires wax instead of turtle?

#9 9 years ago

I completely ignore the description "shopped". I don't buy machines in routed condition, so it's not applicable to the machines that interest me. I buy machines that are currently in home use, and certainly could have been routed at one time, but that's history. I expect any machine to have good maintenance, which should include decent rubber, coil sleeves, and other "consumables" replaced as needed to keep the machine in good working order. If a machine is needing "shopped" I would deduct the cost of such from the purchase price, and certainly not add value because it was maintained as required.

#10 9 years ago

"Shopped" means just as much to me as "HUO". Nothing. They are not consistently applied and in the end, current condition is the only thing that matters to me and probably most buyers.

If the machine I am looking at is very dirty and has not been cleaned in 10 years, it is worth less to most people (especially people that do not know how or enjoy cleaning/repairing machines) due to the work needed to clean it up. Simple as that...

#11 9 years ago

I disagree too with the OP. A good shop job has value. I pay more for well shopped out pins.
    ----------
    I do 'get it' that a subset of buyers would rather buy a pin for $2,000 dirty than pay $2,600 for one that has had the treatment. A subset of those buyers would then want to talk you down to $1,400 because it's dirty.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

Yes, absolutely it cost you money, but why would you have the audacity to expect a future buyer to pay you back you're ROI? You chose to LED pin and take your time for labour. It shouldn't increase the pin BEYOND/above fair market value just because you decided it so

You're right. I should put $250 worth of leds into a pin and turn around and sell it to you and NOT account for the money I've put into it.

You're gotta be kidding me.

#13 9 years ago

Honestly, this has to be one of the most ridiculous threads I've ever read on this site.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Imeh:

If a machine is needing "shopped" I would deduct the cost of such from the purchase price, and certainly not add value because it was maintained as required.

Thank you Sir! You hit the nail on the head and put it right through the board! This is exactly my point! It should add absolutely nothing to the price of the pin. It's considered maintenance and should be viewed as the seller taking care of his machines, not trying to squeeze some extra dough out of a last minute sale!

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

I disagree too with the OP. A good shop job has value. I pay more for well shopped out pins.

I pay less for poorly maintained pins.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

You're right. I should put $250 worth of leds into a pin and turn around and sell it to you and NOT account for the money I've put into it.
    You're gotta be kidding me.

Well, how much exactly would you expect for your LED's? And are LED's even considered a "shop"? To me, LEDS's are perhaps an upgrade, but that also depends to whom your selling! Many on here HATE leds

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

Well, how much exactly would you expect for your LED's?

If you're buying them, nothing of course.

#18 9 years ago

Not as ridiculous as the thread a while back asking what kind of music everyone likes.Whats next????Favorite color???

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

If you're buying them, nothing of course.

It's a fair question bro, and I am not too sure why you are dodging a reasonable question?

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Petepinball:

Not as ridiculous as the thread a while back asking what kind of music everyone likes.Whats next????Favorite color???

I was thinking about favorite salad dressings?

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

I don't think it is audacious to ask for more $$$ for any additional work you have done, granted it is based in reality. Adding in some LEDs, changing out some rubbers, putting on a few little mods, and dragging a paper towel with novus across the playfield won't necessarily increase the value beyond normal market prices. You will and should though expect to be reimbursed for anything beyond that, because most likely it has never been done and someone will have to do it. It all depends on how much you value your time and whether or not you like working on machines. I'd imagine most people just wanna plug it in and play.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

Your missing the point of the OP! I am talking about paying ABOVE fair market value just because it was "shopped". Would you pay above market value for your car just because the seller used Macquires wax instead of turtle?

Isn't "market value" a sliding scale anyway based on condition, location, availability, cleanliness, and many other factors?

Are you saying that if you had two otherwise identical machines side-by-side, one is dirty and one is clean, you'd be happy with either for the same price?

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

I was thinking about favorite salad dressings?

Haha........good one.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

I don't think it is audacious to ask for more $$$ for any additional work you have done, granted it is based in reality. Adding in some LEDs, changing out some rubbers, putting on a few little mods, and dragging a paper towel with novus across the playfield won't necessarily increase the value. You will and should though expect to be reimbursed for anything beyond that, because most likely it has never been done and someone will have to do it. It all depends on how much you value your time and whether or not you like working on machines. I'd imagine most people just wanna plug it in and play.

Yes, and this is my point. I am talking about what most would consider a "shopped" pin. This is basic cleaning, changing rubbers/burnt bulbs, etc.
    Of course if someone puts in a color DMD, shaker motor, LED's, etc I would expect to PAY for these additions.

We are strictly talking "shopped" in the most basic sense. My question is why do some sellers feel that the (basic) shopping of a pin adds value? This I don't understand!

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

It's a fair question bro, and I am not too sure why you are dodging a reasonable question?

Can you beg me to answer your moronic question?

#26 9 years ago

Just to play nice OP, I would want my money back for what I spent on them. That would be tossed into my pricing.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

Isn't "market value" a sliding scale anyway based on condition, location, availability, cleanliness, and many other factors?
    Are you saying that if you had two otherwise identical machines side-by-side, one is dirty and one is clean, you'd be happy with either for the same price?

I would expect to pay less for the dirty one, and "fair market value" for the clean one! If the seller if the clean pin states that it's $300 more than fair market value because it was "recently shopped" than I will courteously walk away leaving him standing their scratching his balls as to why the sale fell through.
    Are we all starting to understand the gist of the OP?
    I don't know how to make it any clearer!!

#28 9 years ago

OP: "shopped in the most basic sense" means different things to different people.

When I "shop" a game, everything comes off the tops and cleaned and polished. Everything is fixed that needs fixing. Rubber, flipper rebuilds, new targets, LEDS, etc. PF is buffed and waxed as well numerous times. I also will send the boards out for repairs if needed. THis isn't a day long process or even a week. It takes a lot of time and effort. AND headache.

Maybe "shopping a pin" to you means a quick spit shine and a waxing.

#29 9 years ago

When I see "shopped" I think maintenance, not LEDs, mods, shakers, or the like. These can add value, maintenance does not. Lack of maintenance deducts value. I don't believe most associate improvements like , LEDs, color DMDs, shakers, and mods part of a shop job.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Just to play nice OP, I would want my money back for what I spent on them. That would be tossed into my pricing.

Me this would be reasonable my friend. But now you have to factor the time it will take you to remove all the LEDs and replacing the with incandescents. This will take you another 3-5 hours labour.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

I would expect to pay less for the dirty one, and "fair market value" for the clean one! If the seller if the clean pin states that it's $300 more than fair market value because it was "recently shopped" than I will courteously walk away leaving him standing their scratching his balls as to why the sale fell through.
    Are we all starting to understand the gist of the OP?
    I don't know how to make it any clearer!!

I think get it. Fair Market Value, as you are using it, means maximum price. If that's your meaning, then I'm starting to understand what you are saying. . .although kinda odd to think that way, IMHO.

But, you said that the fair market value for a dirty pin is less than the fair market value of a clean pin, so I guess I don't get it.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from Imeh:

When I see "shopped" I think maintenance, not LEDs, mods, shakers, or the like. These can add value, maintenance does not. Lack of maintenance deducts value. I don't believe most associate improvements like , LEDs, color DMDs, shakers, and mods part of a shop job.

Thank you for infusing this thread with rationality. I appreciate your input in understand the difference between "shopped"(maintenance) and upgraded to a pin.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

OP: "shopped in the most basic sense" means different things to different people.
    When I "shop" a game, everything comes off the tops and cleaned and polished. Everything is fixed that needs fixing. Rubber, flipper rebuilds, new targets, LEDS, etc. PF is buffed and waxed as well numerous times. I also will send the boards out for repairs if needed. THis isn't a day long process or even a week. It takes a lot of time and effort. AND headache.
    Maybe "shopping a pin" to you means a quick spit shine and a waxing.

Board repairs? Working flippers? Decent Rubber? Working switches and targets? All stuff I expect to be on a working machine.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

I think get it. Fair Market Value, as you are using it, means maximum price. If that's your meaning, then I'm starting to understand what you are saying. . .although kinda odd to think that way, IMHO.
    But, you said that the fair market value for a dirty pin is less than the fair market value of a clean pin, so I guess I don't get it.

Of course the dirty pin would be BELOW fair market value, no?

#36 9 years ago

OK, so what game was it that you couldn't agree on price with the seller? I know it sounds generic, but it is usually a specific incident of not being able to agree on a price that prompts these types of topics.

I pretty much ignore the description of games. After all, when one person says "shopped" it may be what I consider to be an actual shop job, and when someone else says it, it means they wiped a dirty rag over the middle of the playfield.

You can't stop anyone from using descriptions they feel are correct. So all that matters is the condition of the game when I evaluate buying it or not.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

Of course the dirty pin would be BELOW fair market value, no?

No. The fair market value of a dirty pin is less than the fair market value of a clean pin. That's why I asked if what you mean by FMV = maximum price, regardless.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

Me this would be reasonable my friend. But now you have to factor the time it will take you to remove all the LEDs and replacing the with incandescents. This will take you another 3-5 hours labour.

I think you have a bit of a warped sense of this hobby if you think someone is taking into account how long it would take to remove leds in terms of time, and then charging for it.

If you don't want leds in the pin I sell you, then remove them. I'm not doing it for you and I'm not charging you less bc you're a cry baby.

I will sell it to someone who wants leds and the pin.

I have a feeling you're what's referred to as a "tire-kicker".

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from Imeh:

It depends on the original condition of the machine as well and the age. It is unlikely you are going to find a game prior to the mid 90's in "unloved" condition, since almost all of them were on route to make money for ops. So if they haven't had things like all their coil sleeves replaced, parts removed, springs replaced, flippers rebuilt, polished, tumbled, pops rebuilt, board work, etc., then they're going to need it. They may still work, but not well. That seems to be the case with the majority of the games I've come across. So if someone took the time to do all of that, it deserves more than a game listed as "clean and working" in my eyes. And we routinely see games in that condition selling for more, so that seems to be the consensus.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I think you have a bit of a warped sense of this hobby if you think someone is taking into account how long it would take to remove leds in terms of time, and then charging for it.
    If you don't want leds in the pin I sell you, then remove them. I'm not doing it for you and I'm not charging you less bc you're a cry baby.
    I will sell it to someone who wants leds and the pin.
    I have a feeling you're what's referred to as a "tire-kicker".

Dude, were you beaten as a kid. You seem very hostile (what some refer to as an internet tough guy)

#41 9 years ago

I don't mind if someone uses the term "shopped" in their description if they are trying to sell a pin. I just don't put much stock in what someone will state. To a lot of sellers, shopped means burnt bulbs replaced along with a few rubber rings. I shop every machine that I buy, whether it was " shopped" or not. I like the thorough way I do my machines, not the way someone else does it when it was in their possesion. If I went to go and look at a machine that was immaculate and everything was done to perfection, I would not mind paying extra above fair market value considering the amount of time and effort that goes into a complete shop job. Plus, I would have the peace of mind in knowing that the machine was well maintained and not neglected. If the machine was not what I would consider shopped, I would offer the seller less than the asking price. I once was selling a machine and a potential buyer wanted me to shop it prior to the sale. Flipper rebuild, all new targets, LEDS, rubber, balls, star posts, decals, glass etc. All for no extra money. That was not going to happen. All those parts add up fast along with a lot of time to do the job the right way. It was a totally unreasonable request. I have in the past done that for a friend for free to help them get into the hobby. If someone went through all that trouble, I would compensate them. Plus I would have more time to play the machine instead of slaving away on it.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

Dude, were you beaten as a kid. You seem very hostile (what some refer to as an internet tough guy)

Can't you find something better than an ad hominem attack? (ps: google will help you here)

I would say pending the amount of thumb-downs you received on your thread, you aren't in the majority here.

I'd just go away rather quietly.

#43 9 years ago

I recently bought my first pin that was actually shopped and clean. I don't have to tear down the playfield, don't have to put in LEDs, don't have to replace incorrect or broken plastics, posts, and screws, don't have remove hacks, don't have to rebuild flippers and pops, don't have to replace burnt connectors. Man, is it nice to have a shopped pin over a "clean and working" one that was given a Novus job. If there are already a few hundred dollars of new parts in a machine and hours of labor put into a game, that's worth a few hundred dollars to me.

#44 9 years ago

People expect more for shopped pins because shopping a game usually involves several hours of labor and some amount of parts, especially on newer games.

Rubber rings aren't free. Replacement posts aren't free. Flipper rebuild parts aren't free. Most people wouldn't say their labor is free.

An average price is an average price; it's perfectly rational to expect a better than average example of a game would command an above average price. By contrast, a tired example of a game with old rubber, broken star posts, and weak flippers will generally sell under the average price.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

I recently bought my first pin that was actually shopped and clean. I don't have to tear down the playfield, don't have to put in LEDs, don't have to replace incorrect or broken plastics, posts, and screws, don't have remove hacks, don't have to rebuild flippers and pops, don't have to replace burnt connectors. Man, is it nice to have a shopped pin over a "clean and working" one that was given a Novus job. If there are already a few hundred dollars of new parts in a machine and hours of labor put into a game, that's worth a few hundred dollars to me.

Exactly.

I fight myself when I see a project pin. I love the satisfaction you get when you spend the time and energy to shop a pin the right way, and it turns out just beautifully. My GNR was found filthy at a bar, basically on life support. It looks amazing now. I basically saved it from impending death.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Exactly.
    I fight myself when I see a project pin. I love the satisfaction you get when you spend the time and energy to shop a pin the right way, and it turns out just beautifully. My GNR was found filthy at a bar, basically on life support. It looks amazing now. I basically saved it from impending death.

I agree. My BSD was a POS and I turned it into a beautiful machine. That was my proudest pinball accomplishment. But it was a lot of work. And it still is not good enough for me so I am going to redo some parts of it.

#47 9 years ago

I find that once I shop a pin it's more difficult for me to sell it too.

#48 9 years ago

We should have code names for the quality of clean up done prior to sale - i.e. "I just Choggarded the game" or "Machine has been Vid'ed" or "Full Shanetastic done last week" or something like that

#49 9 years ago

fair market value is not a set price, a shopped pins fair market value is higher than an unshopped one.
    seems the whole thread is a waste of server storage

#50 9 years ago

Yeah, I'm in the middle of a STTNG "shop out" which is basically ending up like a restore job. I got it and it was one of the dirtiest machines I've ever seen. It's cleaning up nicely but taking forever. I would gladly have paid a few hundred more for one shopped and working already. This is my first project of this magnitude and I'm taking my time with it. I can only work about 4-5 hours at a time then my back starts killing me, plus it's time for some serious beer drinking!!!!! I swear I don't know how some people stand hunched over a pin all day long....

There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shopped-pinballs-lets-stop-the-madness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.