(Topic ID: 32450)

Shopped LOTR - Ring Shot now impossible??

By flashburn

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Marten
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So I just finished doing a partial shop on LOTR, and now the ring shot is only possible about 10% of the time, at most. Most of the time it will go flying, and hit some part of the ring, and then come back down at any direction, sometimes it'll be an airball all the way down to the flippers even. What the hell? I did replace the spinner since the old one was mangled, but even with putting the old one back in, it's still doing it.

Hopefully someone else has gone through this issue before and has some idea of what might be wrong? I did test the magnet, and it is activating like it should, and works.

#2 11 years ago

Watch where it is hitting on the ring. You may need to raise/lower/left/right the ramp.

Did you put a tiny drop of oil on the spinner axles where they spin in the metal hole ?

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

LTG, you are awesome. For whatever reason, I didn't think the ramp would need to be moved at all. How can I change the height of the ramp, just by loosening/tightening the screws? I didn't oil the spinner axles either.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

How can I change the height of the ramp, just by loosening/tightening the screws?

That or maybe adding washers or spacers.

You can wax that ramp too.

I have found through the years that a drop of oil on those spinners ( in commercial use ) besides working better, the metal doesn't score the axles and snap them off.

#5 11 years ago

What angle should the spinner be sitting at rest? Should it be perpendicular to the ramp or the playfield?

#6 11 years ago

I also noticed on my ramp the two points at the end of it had burred up quite a bit so I filed them smooth so it wouldnt snag or scratch the ball in any way

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

What angle should the spinner be sitting at rest? Should it be perpendicular to the ramp or the playfield?

I never give it that much thought. As long as the ball whacks it and it spins good, is fine with me.

On your game, once the ball hits peen the bottom edge thicker, it does tend to make things harder because the lower edge takes the hit more than getting out of the way as the ball goes by.

#8 11 years ago

I tried adjusting the ramp some, but regardless it seems to be hitting near the center of the hole every time, sometimes higher/lower/left/right depending on the shot, but almost always comes flying out of the ring at some crazy height/angle. Sometimes it does activate the ring mode though, but it doesn't actually make it into the hole. Really, really frustrating.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Really, really frustrating.

Break time.

Tackle it later with fresh eyes.

#10 11 years ago

oiled my spinner axles and now the thing won't stop spinning lol
did you happen to do anything with the flippers when you did the shop job?

#11 11 years ago

The spinner activates the magnet to help suck the ball in. Make sure your spinner switch is properly firing the magnet, maybe your magnet fuse is blown.

-ben

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from APOLLO_13:

oiled my spinner axles and now the thing won't stop spinning lol
did you happen to do anything with the flippers when you did the shop job?

Nope, I left the flippers on. I also verified the magnet is triggering when the spinner is activated.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#13 11 years ago

Monster is on the money and beat me 2 it. It sounds like the magnet is not firing bc that thing sucks the ball up like a vacuum.

#14 11 years ago

Did u test it by holding the ball infront and spinning the spinner. Maybe the fuse is half blown. I would chang it out and see if that works.

#15 11 years ago

Could you have bent the end of the ramp when you were cleaning the game?
Find a small straight piece of material that you can lay on the ramp and see where it lines up with the hole. You could probably cut out a piece of stiff cardboard. That will tell you which direction it is out of position. The ramp should line up close to the bottom of the hole.

#16 11 years ago

How close does the ball need to be for the magnet to pull it in? The magnet is working, but the ball needs to be basically in the hole for it to pull the ball in.

#17 11 years ago

I think the ball needs to be in the funnel plastic to get sucked in by the magnet but not actually in the hole.

#18 11 years ago

Messed around with the ramp alignment some, it's definitely changing the trajectory. I think I just need to keep messing with it, I'll probably pull it off the playfield and see if it got bent somehow.

I double checked the magnet, if it's laying on the plastic insert, somewhat near the hole, it'll pull it in, so I think it's doing its job.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Maybe the fuse is half blown. I would chang it out and see if that works.

How does a fuse "half blow"?

#20 11 years ago

Make sure the magnet in the ring is working. I had the same problem. Messed with the spinner and the ramp and no help. Then I remembered that there was a magnet in the ring. I checked on that and the fuse for the magnet was blown. I replaced the fuse and works great now.
Bruce

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from ninjadoug:

What I believe he is describing, and I've usually run into it in those little T fuses. Is a fuse partially blows, and if you put an ohm meter on it, you'll set it's pulling a few ohms, knocking down voltage.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

What I believe he is describing, and I've usually run into it in those little T fuses. Is a fuse partially blows, and if you put an ohm meter on it, you'll set it's pulling a few ohms, knocking down voltage.

Good to know. I have never experienced that.

#23 11 years ago

Everything seems good now. I just needed to keep adjusting the ramp, until it lined up better. Thanks all.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from ninjadoug:

Years ago when I got my game I had the same problem. I changed out the fuse and the problem was solved. In my mind this has created the "half blown" fuse theory. The fuse also looked a bit funny when removed.

#25 11 years ago

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life
Armor and blades
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
€ 7.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.50
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models
Plastics
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shopped-lotr-ring-shot-now-impossible and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.