• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CAM00356.jpg
CAM00357.jpg
DSCN6117.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadtower.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I've been meaning to do this, but haven't found the time. I'd like it in order to be able to test the colors of LED bulbs without having to install them in a machine first. Does anyone make something that I could just buy? A couple of each socket type would be nice for comparisons.

Run a couple of alligator clips to a lamp socket on a coin door. Takes 2 seconds.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Pac-Fan:

I prefer not to accidentally short something out / deal with fuse replacement by messing with the pin power and/or sockets while it's on; and I'm not cycling the pin power multiple times to test many lamps.

I do it all the time. It's not hard to avoid shorting the thing. This method is also a nearly irreplaceable quick way of testing to see if a dead lamp is a problem with the matrix, the bulb, or a crappy socket. Anyone who has ever had to swap out 75 sockets on a Bally does this.

When I do it I clip a new socket into the circuit and swap bulbs in and out of that.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I had a pin party a couple weekends ago with 8 machines (one was an EM) on one 15A circuit. 5 of these have all LEDs in the inserts, one is half way, and the other two are all incandescent. This was the first time all of them had been flipping at the same time, and I was pleased to have no issues with the breaker tripping. I'm pretty sure this would not have been possible with all incandescent.

If the difference between flipping your breaker and not flipping your breaker is some little bulbs then you really need to reassess your circuit load. 80% of total capacity is the guideline. Breakers are not foolproof and can be physically restricted by stuff like corrosion and rodents.

#42 10 years ago

Pop Bumpers are a different issue. They aren't burning out. They are getting knocked out. LEDs will solve that but for a different reason.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

If someone could quantify it to the point where they figured out that an Eiko bulb in a machine that's on for two hours per day lasts 4 months vs. a domed retro warm white LED(closest look to filaments right now) will last 5 years with the same amount of "on" time per day, imagine how much time and peace of mind you'll gain from not having to change it out 15 times over that span.

<...>

And I'm sorry, but science is science

In science we don't make assumptions such as an LED bulb lasting 5 years when they haven't even existed in the current form for 5 years. Yeah, an LED is not going to fail, but how about the resistor in the base? How about the contacts on the base? How about the connections inside the base? None of those things exist in an incandescent bulb.

LEDs themselves are proven to last longer than incandescents. The problem with all of the assumptions I keep seeing is that we aren't installing bare LEDs. We're installing a small device with multiple new failure points. Why do you think so many of the new LED bulbs are dead right out of the box? It's almost never the actual LED that is the problem. It's the manufacturing of the overall device.

Quoted from jrivelli:

From the sounds of it you operate a lot of pins and are familiar with how often games from the 90s break down. Still, even if you have them fixed why not prevent future problems on old components?

The future problems are not the same once you have changed the operating model. Those earlier problems happened because the machine was on up to 100 hours/week. In the home the game might be on 10 hours a week. Once the damage from past problems is repaired there is no part of the home use model that will lead to those problems reoccurring.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadtower.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shop-tricks-incandescent-bulbs?tu=chadtower and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.