Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Miguel351
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CAM00356.jpg
CAM00357.jpg
DSCN6117.JPG

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

I built a test jig for testing 47 and 555 bulbs. The video shows a down and dirty build.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-and-lights-test-fixture-jig

I since added 555 sockets as well. I'll post a pic later. I still need to fancy it up but it works fine as is.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

a small parts container/silverware holder

Could you post a pic or link to what you use for this?

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from GListOverflow:

Could you post a pic or link to what you use for this?

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/bosch-silverware-basket-418280-ap2838747.html

It has a cover but it's designed to separate silverware. Usually a 44 or 555 gets out in the wash but that's whyyou check the trap after.

viperrwk

#54 5 years ago

Cool, thanks

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

If someone could quantify it to the point where they figured out that an Eiko bulb in a machine that's on for two hours per day lasts 4 months vs. a domed retro warm white LED(closest look to filaments right now) will last 5 years with the same amount of "on" time per day, imagine how much time and peace of mind you'll gain from not having to change it out 15 times over that span.

<...>

And I'm sorry, but science is science

In science we don't make assumptions such as an LED bulb lasting 5 years when they haven't even existed in the current form for 5 years. Yeah, an LED is not going to fail, but how about the resistor in the base? How about the contacts on the base? How about the connections inside the base? None of those things exist in an incandescent bulb.

LEDs themselves are proven to last longer than incandescents. The problem with all of the assumptions I keep seeing is that we aren't installing bare LEDs. We're installing a small device with multiple new failure points. Why do you think so many of the new LED bulbs are dead right out of the box? It's almost never the actual LED that is the problem. It's the manufacturing of the overall device.

Quoted from jrivelli:

From the sounds of it you operate a lot of pins and are familiar with how often games from the 90s break down. Still, even if you have them fixed why not prevent future problems on old components?

The future problems are not the same once you have changed the operating model. Those earlier problems happened because the machine was on up to 100 hours/week. In the home the game might be on 10 hours a week. Once the damage from past problems is repaired there is no part of the home use model that will lead to those problems reoccurring.

#56 5 years ago

I built a test jig for testing 47 and 555 bulbs. The video shows a down and dirty build.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-and-lights-test-fixture-jig
I since added 555 sockets as well. I'll post a pic later. I still need to fancy it up but it works fine as is.

Hey, pretty cool tester! I like the multiple slots so you can do color comparisons etc

Here is the one we made for our booth in shows. Prboably overkill for a home testing environment, but I use it all the time for comparing lots of bulbs at once for color variances, especially in warm whites.

It's just a 5volt power adaptar at 2.5 amps. So 1 volt under the standard 6.3 volts, but we had it laying around so worked out well to plug n play.

CAM00357.jpg CAM00356.jpg

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

In science we don't make assumptions such as an LED bulb lasting 5 years when they haven't even existed in the current form for 5 years. Yeah, an LED is not going to fail, but how about the resistor in the base? How about the contacts on the base? How about the connections inside the base? None of those things exist in an incandescent bulb.

That's why I said "If someone could quantify...". If.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the scientific method: Hypothesis, test, result, conclusion? The hypothesis behind switching to LED's includes all the "benefits" as reasons why people are switching to them(long life, less energy consumption, lower resistance, etc.). The pinball community is, collectively, testing that hypothesis right now as a whole. If it works out over the next year or so that people are changing their LED's out, due to failure, once a year or once every 18 months, then I see no massive reason to make the switch(for me, anyway).

Perhaps LED's(or their internal circuitry) can't take the increased number of times a game is switched on and off in the home environment(as opposed to just being left on all day with an op). Maybe they can't withstand the voltage variances as well as an incandescent. Who knows? I agree that there could be a myriad of reasons why LED's may end up not lasting as long as we all think they should, but they were designed from the start to have a long life compared to an incandescent bulb. Therefore, the hypothesis(assumption) is they'll last a very long time. Without knowing the specific parts that are being used inside of these LED's, nor their origin, nor their track record, only time will tell whose LED's from whatever company last the longest and remain the brightest.

Let's just hope they really all don't come from the same factory in China....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 90.00
Lighting - Led
Geeteoh Electronics
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside