1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mbaumle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

What games would you consider easy to shop out or difficult. This entered my brain the other day when a friend of mine who can't change a light switch,wanted an F14. He thought it would be easy to take cake of because it was a simple game, not many moving parts etc. I corrected him when I told him about all the habitrails, flippers, etc. That have to be worried about. F14 is not simple in the least. We looked for another week or two and found a Black Pyramid. This is what a beginner should want! Simple, simple, simple . We got 2 pops 3 drops 2 flippers 1 swing , 1 saucer, 2 roll over lanes and that is about it. Simple to shop, single level and he loves it. Anybody else run into newbs who don't think about the shop job ahead of them. Also, if you could give me some examples of games that are easy to shop and ones that are really difficult, that would be awesome.

#2 1 year ago

Games without ramps are generally fairly easy to work on.

Gottlieb system 1 games are pretty easy. Parts are mostly available, replacement boards are available, they are documented very well and most of the issues have been addressed.

The downside is that most of the system 1 titles probably won't hold someone's interest for a long time if it's the only game in their collection.

The "street level" Gottlieb system 3 games aren't too hard to work on either. Again, no ramps. The boardset is fairly robust and I generally don't need to do a whole lot other than replace the battery, a ribbon cable or two, maybe replace some failed transistors, and sometimes the U8 chip on the display driver board. However, these street level games didn't have high production numbers and can sometimes be harder to find.

Early Bally and Stern games could also be an option. They are documented fairly well, but the boardset usually needs a fair amount of work to bring a game back from the dead.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Gottlieb system 1 games are pretty easy. Parts are mostly available, replacement boards are available, they are documented very well and most of the issues have been addressed.

Agreed. I helped out in cleaning up a Gottlieb ‘Jungle’ and it was SO EASY because there’s hardly anything on it

CFTBL seems like it would be tough to shop up. Although I haven’t personally tried, there’s a LOT of stuff in it, including quite a few ramps.

#4 1 year ago

White water has the reputation of being a real bear to shop out, but I found it to be surprisingly easy.

By the time the 90s rolled around, B/W was really good at engineering the most important things to be modular, and mostly accessible without having to strip everything away to get to what you want.

My biggest PITA game to shop was Earthshaker. This was made during the time when games were getting exponentially complicated, but Williams had yet to really figure out how to make all the parts modular and easily accessible. Simply changing a flasher bulb under the main ramp means you have to remove the upper VUK, the California/Nevada divider, and all sorts of ridiculously hard-to-reach screws and nuts along the way.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 89.99
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    £ 20.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 3.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Boards
    PinSound
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 149.00
    $ 25.00
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside