Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by mof
  • Topic is favorited by 140 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MOF's Pinball Restoration Checklist.pdf (PDF preview)
    20220727_move-holes-with-hot-poker (resized).jpg
    Shop_Job_Master_Checklist_2_Page_1_(resized).jpg
    Shop_Job_Master_Checklist_2_Page_2_(resized).jpg
    There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

When you get a new pin in your home, do you have a set of tasks you like to complete before the pin is "playing and looking its best?" -- I sure do, and I prefer to call it a "thorough shop job."

It takes me anywhere between about (40 and 65) hours depending on the pin's initial condition and complexity to complete the task list below. I've reviewed a few of the pin "shop job" threads I've already documented on Pinside, and put together a master list from those. I feel that my list covers most of my favorite tasks, but I'm sure after reviewing it, some of you may feel like I've missed a few important items.

I'm posting it here as a reference. If you have any feedback on it, feel free to comment. I put everything in alphabetical order, and I started each action item with the NAME of the item for clarity.

My goal for the list is to cover the basics in terms of:

1. maximize playability
    2. perform safety checks + upgrades
    3. improve appearance

My goal here is NOT to perform a 200+ hour full HE restoration with this list.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you what some of your favorite action items are that you don't see in my current list. I'd appreciate your input.

If you are looking for a post-purchase inspection checklist, or playfield swap checklist here they are:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-purchase-checklist
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-swap-guide

thanks,
    -mof
    MOF's Pinball Restoration Checklist.pdfMOF's Pinball Restoration Checklist.pdf

#2 9 years ago

MOF's RAZZLE DAZZLE 99-point checklist !

CABINET (15-20 hrs)
    * Cabinet protectors, Install the metal PBL ones
    * Cabinet, clean and wax
    * Cabinet, troll it for parts with magnetic wand, and vacuum/clean it out
    * Cabinet wires, clean them for appearance
    * Cabinet wires, ensure the 4 harnesses move freely when playfield is rotated up/down
    * Coin door carriage bolts, remove and clean or polish them
    * Coin door flap, remove and de-rust it (if stainless steel)
    * Coin door, clean it (clean up old stickers if needed)
    * Coin door, check wiring and make sure it's all zip-tied away from colliding with the lockdown bar arm
    * Coin door, remove any dents
    * Coin door, operator settings switches, ensure they work -- repair broken wires/switches as needed
    * Furniture glides, ensure all are installed properly
    * Instruction Cards, make new ones, and ensure you have new acetate covers for them
    * Leg bolts, polish and reinstall
    * Legs, de-rust, polish and wax. Install new leg levelers and floor sliders
    * Legs, set pitch and level
    * Lockdown bar, de-rust, clean and install new foam
    * Lockdown bar receiver, de-rust, clean and reinstall it
    * Paint pen black on inside and outside of cabinet, coin door, and head edges to clean up the look
    * Playfield glass channel, polish it
    * Playfield guides and edges inside the cabinet, clean/wax them for ease of movement
    * Playfield, ensure whatever is mounted to the rear of the game -- (ramps, plastics, etc) cannot drag and snap when the playfield is pulled to the full upright position.
    * Plug, ensure it’s in good shape, or replace
    * Power, check all board Test Point’s (TPs) against spec
    * Power switch, clean it and the bracket, and rotate it so forward = "on"
    * Shooter, ultrasonic, and re-install; replace 1" spring if needed to keep tip from scraping against PF
    * Speaker panel trim, clean and polish it
    * Slam Tilt (put shrink-tubing, tape or rubber around for home use)
    * Tilt bob - center it, and ensure the ring has no tape or crap on it
    * Transformer board, remove and clean under it if possible, (sand and varnish if possible)
    * Transformer brackets, ultrasonic and reassemble, clean up transformer

HEAD / BACKBOX (10-15 hrs)
    * Backglass, add enough foam insulation material on the lamp board and display edges until the backglass cannot move once everything is properly in place. Test your work by rattling the head to simulate good nudging. Remove the tilt bob first, to TEST the system. The pin should be dead quiet when you rattle it.
    * Backbox, clean and vacuum it
    * Backbox, clean the lamp board, tumble and reassemble door brackets
    * Backglass, clean both sides carefully
    * Backglass, install new grip tape to better hold the backglass channel and trim
    * Backglass channel, (if stainless steel) polish, clean or replace
    * Battery pack, install remote one
    * Connectors, check all connectors for burn, and replace connectors where needed
    * Dipswitches, set them for freeplay, correct game, sound, and/or set functions using coin door buttons
    * Display test
    * Displays, wipe down glass and rubber
    * Displays, review displays for proper rubber gaskets and replace with strips of weather insulation to ensure the glass cannot touch the displays, either in game, or in transport
    * Fuses, review and replace to spec
    * Fuses, review recommended upgrades to improve safety and add a few if advised
    * GI lamp board, get it to proper level and height so the displays line up properly through the backglass (on 80s Williams games, this means removing 1 screw and moving the lower bracket BACK 1/8")
    * GI lamp board, remove all bulbs, and install only 10 (my personal taste)
    * GI lamp board, verify no sockets twist or move when trying to install a cleaned up 47 bulb
    * Grounding mods, study what can help the integrity of the machine, and perform them
    * MPU -- Check female molex connectors for keys
    * Power board, replace 30 year old caps
    * Power board, repair any and all direct-solder hacks on the (GI is often a culprit), so that the power board is interchangeable with other machines, and the head is removable
    * Solder joints, check all boards for cold solder joints and reflow as needed

PLAYFIELD (15-30 hrs)
    * Acorns, install new set to match plastics
    * Alignment, review any shots that send balls at the flippers, and adjust alignments as necessary
    * Apron, and shooter gauge clean them (use a very gentle cleaner if water alone doesn't do the trick (test a spot), don’t remove any paint with alcohol or solvents)
    * Apron (under), clean all trough parts and re-sleeve trough solenoid
    * Ball stops (above saucers), ensure they are polished and clean and reinstalled
    * Bulbs, install ultrasoniced 44s and a few LEDs where needed
    * Drop target assemblies, molex, ultrasonic and reassemble (wax surfaces that rub, optional step)
    * Drop target stickers replace (if needed)
    * Flipper assemblies, molex and rebuild
    * Flipper button switches, replace with new parts
    * Flipper buttons, ultrasonic and reinstall
    * Flipper return frames, remove bells, and install new set from Cliffy, align for perfect ball flow (in both directions, this could require filling and drilling new holes)
    * GI, add any new GI sockets with speaker wire to brighten up dark plastics
    * Inlane switches, set to perfection so that moonwalking is easy and likely. If you don't -- switches can trap balls, and steal flow from the game. Make sure they are low, AND register all hits
    * Inserts, clean back of each one with a Q-tip!
    * Inserts, ensure they are all flat. Adjust and re-glue any that are not
    * Lamp (controlled) test
    * Lamp sockets, review that all work properly, and clean/replace any that need it
    * Lamp sockets, verify none twist or move when trying to install a cleaned up 44 bulb
    * Orbit bar (if it exists), buff and polish
    * Plastic protectors, create new ones from scratch for vulnerable high use areas
    * Nuts, missing under the playfield anywhere: check for missing nuts on all under playfield solenoid brackets and pops, etc.
    * Plastics, clean and flatten
    * Plastics, check all OLD plastics for screw wear spots, and protect the new plastics from the same demise
    * Plastics, install new ones where needed, and verify you have the supporting hardware (correct posts, etc)
    * Playfield brackets, (that seat in the lockdown bar) tumble and reassemble
    * Playfield, clean and wax
    * Pops, molex and rebuild all three and adjust all leaves to hair-trigger perfection, install new skirts and lamp sockets
    * Posts, tighten, tumble and re-fill all stripped holes
    * Posts, Ensure all posts are in the correct spot with healthy screws. Unscrew/screw them all back in
    * Ramps, remove and clean and reassemble, polish or regain if stainless steel
    * Rubber kit, check manual for any rubbers BIGGER than slings, cause you won't have them on hand. Prep Marco rubber list early.
    * Rubber kit, install new one
    * Shooter Lane protector, polish and reinstall
    * Slings, tune properly
    * Solenoid test
    * Solenoid check, ensure they are all to spec (not too strong not too weak)
    * Solenoid sleeves, review them all, and clean or replace them
    * Spinner, paint strip it, spray paint it, bake on the paint, and reassemble it
    * Star posts, clean and wax, and reinstall
    * Stationary targets, ensure they have good foam behind them, clean, and adjust them
    * Switch adjustments (1-2-3 lanes, inlanes, outlanes)
    * Switch test (ensure CPU and Physical switches all register each switch)
    * Wires, inspect EVERY wire termination for breaks/fraying and cut/re-solder as needed
    * Wires, check all GI and ground wires on the sides of the playfield, and all staples to ensure none are getting pinched when the playfield is down (get your staple gun fired up)
    * Woodrails, ensure they look good, (nothing peeling away) and don't scrape the edge of the cabinet on the up or down...
    * Woodrails, ensure all screws are in all the way and NOT stripped, to minimize contact with cabinet rails. All holes countersunk.

#3 9 years ago

Great checklist. Just going through the same thing now. Nice to have it itemized.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Great checklist. Just going through the same thing now. Nice to have it itemized.

Thanks man, I have a nice player pin coming soon, and I figured after having done 16 of these by now, it was time to get off my rear, and finally make my life easier with a master checklist. Everyone has their own block of time available, and style and strengths and everyone's lists will reflect those differences. I hope to learn from you when yours is complete. I realize a guy with a 200 hour checklist will have WAYYY more input than a guy with a 40 hour checklist. As you can imagine I'm hoping to hear from more guys in my bracket who invest "just enough" to make everything play sharp. I have a full time job and other hobbies, and I've discovered I can invest about 1 hour a day at restoration/shopping pins which means, to be fair to me, I need a 1-2 month plan per acquired pin so that I can move along to the next big project, like a playfield swap, or a cabinet restore.

-mof

#5 9 years ago

That is a very thorough list. You did a very nice job. I don't have a specific list like that but the process is similar. I first start with clearing all the errors though. Idk if it is just my ocd or what but I have to have all errors cleared prior to setting up for permanency.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

That is a very thorough list. You did a very nice job. I don't have a specific list like that but the process is similar. I first start with clearing all the errors though. Idk if it is just my ocd or what but I have to have all errors cleared prior to setting up for permanency.

Nice one, I'll add switch test of course.
    -mof

#7 9 years ago

Hey mof, nice list. My first step is to go through all diagnostics and make sure everything works. While I may not fix all problems at that point, it's nice to know if any problems were pre-existing or arose during the shop job.

#8 9 years ago

Great list! Given the trouble that I recently had with my BSD I would may be add replacing the ribbon cables if they look like the originals.

#9 9 years ago

That should be a sticky. Thanks!

#10 9 years ago

Thanks fellas!
    -mof

Quoted from terryb:

Hey mof, nice list. My first step is to go through all diagnostics and make sure everything works. While I may not fix all problems at that point, it's nice to know if any problems were pre-existing or arose during the shop job.

Added:

Switch Test
    Lamp Test
    Solenoid Test

-mof

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Great list! Given the trouble that I recently had with my BSD I would may be add replacing the ribbon cables if they look like the originals.

Added:

Display review

-mof

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from guarda:

That should be a sticky. Thanks!

Thanks man. If there were a sticky section in restoration, that would make sense...
    -mof

#13 9 years ago

I want to buy games from you! Thanks for the list for me to reference.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from t2:

I want to buy games from you!

Thanks, but for now -- I'm just a guy trying to be thorough with restoring his own collection.
    -mof

#15 9 years ago

Nice list. What do you do on NIB machines?

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from bam10:

Nice list. What do you do on NIB machines?

Great question... You'll have to ask the NIB experts.
    Never had a NIB! No plans to...
    -mof

#17 9 years ago

Adding: "aligning flipper return guides" so that the ball flow is perfect.

(And of course buy new return frames if Cliffy makes 'en)

-mof

1 month later
    #18 9 years ago

Adding to Playfield section:

"Posts: Ensure all posts are in the correct spot with healthy screws. Unscrew/screw them all back in."

Just found a post in the WRONG place in my Nine Ball project (and a broken off screw).
    -mof

2 months later
    #19 8 years ago

I just came across this while poking around the forums, thank you very much for this tremendous list. I have been working on my first EM, and I got a lot of it by logic and reading lots of different things, but it is just great to have this list all in one place. This is very helpful for a beginner.

I hope it is OK, I took your list and put it into a spreadsheet, that way I can make a checklist for each machine and track what has been done. You could also easily use it as a log to track the time spent by putting in a time entry for each task. Unfortunately I can't put a spreadsheet file here, but here is a PDF that might be useful also. It could be printed and used as a paper checklist.

This list is also easily update-able if there is more that could be added.

#20 8 years ago

Nice man... I'll update the list from now on with additions so you know what changes I make. Surely I'll update this thing 25+ times over the next few years as I improve my skill sets.

-mof

#21 8 years ago

change:
    * Shooter, ultrasonic, and re-install; replace 1" spring if needed to keep tip from scraping against PF

#22 8 years ago

Great, I was looking for something like this not too long ago and i knew you, of all people, would have one already! Do you happen to have one specific to playfield swaps?

#24 8 years ago

Nice list! A couple of things I commonly look for you might want to add to the cabinet section:

Cabinet
    - Flipper buttons - clean/replace as necessary. Verify correct type (spring loaded or not). Set contact gap and clean/file contacts as appropriate for the type.
    - Check leg bolt plates for stripped holes. Upgrade to new Williams style where appropriate. Replace with longer leg bolts if using protectors.
    - Clamp and glue cabinet corners if glue coming loose.
    - Install plumb bob.
    - Check or replace coin door power interlock.
    - Verify slam tilts are gaped properly.
    - Clean/Replace Start Button and buy-in buttons if available.
    - Check voltage is set country correct (110/220), MOV and fuses match, and convenience outlet is installed in domestic models.
    - Verify line cord is in good condition, replace if not.
    - Install AC line cord cover (cup, half-moon) if missing.
    - Verify playfield support arm isn't missing.
    - Tighten playfield pivot nuts.
    - Tighten and check backbox latch hasn't been pulled out before.
    - Install new oak "ReeseRails" and sliders on bottom of cabinet if broken/missing.
    - Align plunger tip to center of ball.
    - Purchase coin box if missing to hold parts.
    - Sand bottom/interior to remove dirt and paint overspray.
    - Order higher quality replacement speakers to replace cheap paper ones.

#25 8 years ago

Updated checklist with items from posts #21 and # 24 added.

5 months later
    #26 8 years ago

Looks like with updates to the forum PDF files are no longer allowed. Here are the 2 pages as JPG images. Its not really an ideal way to have that information. If it is of value to some of you, I can put the PDF and even the XLS file on my website where it can be downloaded. Let me know here if that will be helpful and I'll do it as soon as I can get time.

Shop_Job_Master_Checklist_2_Page_1_(resized).jpgShop_Job_Master_Checklist_2_Page_1_(resized).jpg

Shop_Job_Master_Checklist_2_Page_2_(resized).jpgShop_Job_Master_Checklist_2_Page_2_(resized).jpg

11 months later
    #27 7 years ago

Added:

I just had a wire break on a coin door lamp on a new project.

Lesson learned. 2 minute solution. Proper inspection and zip-ties...

* Coin door, check wiring and make sure it's all zip-tied away from colliding with the lockdown bar arm when door is closed

2 months later
    #28 7 years ago

Adding:

Backbox:

Displays:

* review displays for proper rubber gaskets and replace with strips of weather insulation to ensure the glass cannot touch the displays, either in game, or in transport

1 year later
    #29 6 years ago

Adding:

Cabinet:

Set pitch to 6.5° and playtest a lot (after a mylar polish and wax), and make sure you have the flipper strength you need to make all shots. Also, make sure you don't have too much flipper strength.

1 month later
    #30 6 years ago

Adding:

* Alignment, review any shots that send balls to the flippers, and adjust alignments as necessary:

(orbit shots, scoops, VUK/ramps, ramps, etc.)

2 weeks later
    #31 5 years ago

Adding:

* Build up enough foam insulation material on the lamp board and display edges until the backglass cannot move once everything is properly in place. Test your work by rattling the head to simulate good nudging. The pin should be QUIET other than the tilt bob. Remove the tilt bob first, to TEST the system.

#32 5 years ago

Adding:

* Inlane switches, set to perfection so that moonwalking is easy and likely. If you don't -- switches can trap balls, and steal flow from the game. Make sure they are low, AND register all hits.

11 months later
    #33 5 years ago

Adding:
    * Power board, repair any and all direct-solder hacks on the (GI is often a culprit), so that the power board is interchangeable with other machines, and the head is removable

SMH

#34 5 years ago

Adding...
    * Lamp sockets, verify none twist or move when trying to install a cleaned up 44 bulb -- get staple gun ready

#35 5 years ago

Adding...

* Inserts, clean back of each one with a Qtip!

#36 5 years ago

Adding...
    * Wires, check all GI and ground wires on the sides of the playfield, and all staples to ensure none are getting pinched when the playfield is down (get your staple gun fired up)

#37 5 years ago

Adding...
    * Woodrails, ensure all screws are in all the way and NOT stripped, to minimize contact with cabinet rails

#38 5 years ago

Adding...
    * Coin door, remove any dents

#39 5 years ago

Adding...
    * Replace drop target stickers if needed

#40 5 years ago

Adding...
    * Tilt bob - center it, and ensure the ring has no tape or crap on it

#41 5 years ago

I feel lazy..I just...plug them in and play them. I get around to shopping them 6-10 years later.

4 months later
    #42 4 years ago

Good thing I like players games. Way to much to read yet do. But nice through list.

1 year later
    #43 3 years ago

What product do you use to “de-rust”?

#44 3 years ago

Evapo-rust

#45 3 years ago

How do you clean and wax the cabinet? Do you do it like a playfield with Novus and Blitz wax? I have a Seawitch I’d like to clean up a bit. Thanks in advance.

1 month later
    #46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

clean and wax the cabinet

I'm sure there can be a heated debate about what to use on the cabinet. Of course the goal is to NOT mess up any wood grain with too much water -- and to not mess with any remaining clear while getting as much 40-year+ grime and smoke off as possible.

My recent favorite is dollar store citrus cleaner. I find that I get good golds and greys on the rag from smoke residue, but mostly not any paint colors.

Definitely don't use isopropyl alcohol on the cabinet -- period. I did this on my first 10 pins or so like a total noob, and now have unsightly cloudy clear swirls when seen in the right light.

I haven't tried 10 different cleaning solutions, so I can't objectively say "what's best" in this case. I can however advise what not to do...

As for wax, I do prefer Blitz.

8 months later
    #47 2 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Adding:
    * Alignment, review any shots that send balls to the flippers, and adjust alignments as necessary:
    (orbit shots, scoops, VUK/ramps, ramps, etc.)

Man, if anyone has made the left hand saucer eject on PinBot serve the ball cleanly to the right hand flipper, I’d like to hear about it. I finally got the visor kickers to work after doing my playfield restoration, but that third one…tasks me.

@mof, man next time I’m looking to trade a machine I just want to talk to you! Too bad you’re on the opposite coast.
    Really appreciate seeing other pin owners giving this much care to their projects (and this thread is great for reminders; you’ve definitely given me a couple things to add to my list. One day I need to compile all this onto an actual “check” list!)

4 weeks later
    #48 2 years ago
    Quoted from sethbenjamin:

saucer eject on PinBot

Haha! I think my right eye ejects to SDTM, which REQUIRES you to cradle and use ball1 to interrupt ball2 -- beginners hate it !

lol
    -mof

11 months later
    #49 1 year ago

Added: MPU -- Check female molex connectors for keys. Use a toothpick to key any connector that for some reason isn't keyed to minimize error and maximize certainty when removing boards and plugging back in cables.

#50 1 year ago

Added: Playfield - Apron (under), clean all trough parts and re-sleeve trough solenoid

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shop-job-master-checklist and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.