before3.jpg
after2.jpg
before2.jpg
after1.jpg
before1.jpg
B_R_s_cigar_dude.gif
B_R_ball.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Started a shop job on Judge Dredd last night after the fights. A couple of hours and several pounds of plastic and stainless later the playfield is almost completely disassembled. Ill get around to removing the rest of the posts and targets later today. There is some mylar in the upper right around the sniper tower area that I'm going to pull up as well.

NakedDredd.jpgNakedDredd.jpg

#2 12 years ago

I shopped out a JD top and bottom , fun game to shop out. Check these pictures out of the bottom of the PF. The pictures go from before to after.

https://picasaweb.google.com/honda350r/Jd6

Jim

#3 12 years ago

Jim, thanks for the pics. You certainly do good work, that playfield and cabinet look beautiful.

#4 12 years ago

Decided to pull up the mylar that was around the snipers tower and level a few inserts that had started to raise a bit.

I used the hair dryer method to pull up the mylar.

mylar-removal-1.jpgmylar-removal-1.jpg

Almost done

mylar-removal-2.jpgmylar-removal-2.jpg

To level the inserts I used the same hair dryer a sanded piece of plywood and a rubber mallet. A little heat and brute force trama later the inserts are nice and flush.

leveling-inserts-1.jpgleveling-inserts-1.jpg

leveling-inserts-2.jpgleveling-inserts-2.jpg

#5 12 years ago

how much glue did you get left when u pulled it up?

looks like you went all out, cant wait to see it when done

#6 12 years ago

jim how do you clean out the cabinet?

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from dvandentop:

how much glue did you get left when u pulled it up?

looks like you went all out, cant wait to see it when done

Not much glue was left behind and what little was left, I cleaned up with some goo gone.

#9 12 years ago

ssathre you mite consider some target decals while your doing your shop job much easier to put on then with a populated field. here the link and pics from my JD
http://pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/JD_Page.html

003.JPG003.JPG 004.JPG004.JPG 005.JPG005.JPG 007.JPG007.JPG 006.JPG006.JPG 009.JPG009.JPG

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from Hyperion:

you mite consider some target decals

I have a set of the JUDGE decals on the way. I didn't go with the entire set from pinballdecals.com though... I should have they look great, but damn their expensive! I spent the extra money on 3 radioactive black pearl pinballs for the captive balls.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Nice job ssathe!

Thanks, GAP!

#12 12 years ago

Spent a couple hours this afternoon removing all the posts, switches and slingshot assemblies. All of the playfield hardware is in the tumbler and I wont take them out until Thursday. Ill spend another few hours tonight fixing a few more inserts and doing some repair with Kwickwood around the drop target cutout. Tomorrow Ill start re finishing the stainless... yeah, my favorite.

Here is a pic of the Progress so far:

NakedDredd2.jpgNakedDredd2.jpg

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from dvandentop:

jim how do you clean out the cabinet?

I've got one of the best sanders money can buy!

Quoted from ssathre:

Spent a couple hours this afternoon removing all the posts

That JD is going to be sweet! Thanks for sharing !

I have another JD that will be getting the treatment as soon as I can get a few more restores out of the way first .

Jim

#14 12 years ago

Patched the damage behind the drop target assembly with Kwickwood. I'll sand it later and touch up paint if needed in a day or two.

Before with damage

damage.jpgdamage.jpg

Filled before sanding

filled.jpgfilled.jpg

Oh yeah... And here's what 8 pounds of stainless looks like. I'll be spending some quality time with the combi wheel the next few evenings

8pounds.jpg8pounds.jpg

#15 12 years ago

Here is a pic of the pinballs I decided to use as the 3 captive balls in the cooling towers section of the playfield. A little overkill I know, but I couldn't resist. They are available from Back Alley Creations: http://www.backalleycreations.com/bac%20black%20pearl%20pinballs.html

radioactive_ball.jpgradioactive_ball.jpg

#16 12 years ago

I sanded the patched area around the Drop target and subway entrance area. The left side corner where most of the damage was turned out pretty good, but I doubt if it will survive a good ball hit. I sent an email to Cliffy to see if he can make a protector for that area. At least it will cover up the damage if the patch doesn't hold.

aftersanding.jpgaftersanding.jpg

#17 12 years ago

You seem to be like Shanetastic,, You just can't Wait to Tear into it.. lOOk-n Good Steve..
Look's like yr Goin the Full Distance.. I like the Ball's you have chosen for the 3-Captives.
$ 5 to $ 6.00 a ball.. I have 3- Black Pearl's Ball's that i used in my Last Black Rose..
The damage that was done by FedEx , you should have an Outside Estimate , if yr plan-n on do-n the Repair's yr-self ,, small claim's Court would like to see the diff- in cost's.. Look-n 4-ward to seeing pict's when JD is complete.. B_R

B_R_ball.jpgB_R_ball.jpg B_R_s_cigar_dude.gifB_R_s_cigar_dude.gif

#18 12 years ago

@BR Ya, I see a similarity between Shane and myself when it comes to shop jobs. I like to tear the whole thing down and clean, repair or replace trying to get it as close to "new" as my skills allow.

Regarding the damage, i'm leaving that for now and we will see what Fed Ex says. I contacted a local operator here in town and talked with one of their service men about this. They would have no problem giving me an estimate and off the top of his head his estimate was a little less than double of what I quoted the adjuster. Being that their rates are twice what I quoted makes me feel good that I estimated things pretty close.

#19 12 years ago

Got back to business today and re-grained all of the stainless using a combi wheel. Worked on and off for a few hours this afternoon and got it all looking spiffy. Here are a few before and after pics.

before1.jpgbefore1.jpg after1.jpgafter1.jpg before2.jpgbefore2.jpg after2.jpgafter2.jpg before3.jpgbefore3.jpg after3.jpgafter3.jpg

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from ssathre:

re-grained all of the stainless using a combi wheel.

Is that what the dremil Tool is for ? Steel lOOk's New Again. B_R_s_cigar_dude.gifB_R_s_cigar_dude.gif

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from ssathre:

Got back to business today and re-grained all of the stainless using a combi wheel.

Yeah, whatever you did there. I need to do that!

#22 12 years ago

Nice job on the stainless. I choose to do that task the hard way and make them have a mirror finish. What kind of combi wheel do you have?

#23 12 years ago

I use several different methods to re grain the stainless. 3m combi wheels are the best and can be used on a die grinder at high rpm's but they are expensive. it's basically a sanding flap wheel with alternating layers of scotch brite pads in-between the sand paper. alternatively you can get these sanding wheels at your local ace hardware for about 8 bucks and use them in an electric drill. they work well but you will only get about 1 or 2 machines out of a set.

Start with a medium grit

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Brite-9415NA-Medium-Finishing/dp/B00004Z4DJ/ref=pd_5

and then on to a fine grit

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Brite-9416NA-Finishing-Sander/dp/B00004Z4DK/ref=pd_6

for hard to get in spaces l use a dremel with a flap wheel to get most of the gunk off. then I use scotch brite wheels to get the grain right

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBF3OM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

for mirror or "poor mans chrome" finish I have a polishing wheel that makes quick work out of the stainless ball guides and lock down bars.

#24 12 years ago

Here is a link to the actual 3M combi pads product page. They are expensive but if you have an air compressor that's capable of running a die grinder for an extended period these are the quickest way to get the job done... @ 9000 rpms its easy as pealing potatoes.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Manufacturing/Industry/Product-Catalog/Online-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQGLE0000000_nid=7W6B9ZMF23be060CVBK1Q8gl

#25 12 years ago

That turns out great. thanks for posting the links

#26 12 years ago

Just finished making all new coil wrappers for JD. What do you guys think?

JD-Wrapper-set.jpgJD-Wrapper-set.jpg

#27 12 years ago

wow, that's that's bordering on pathological but i'd surely buy a pin you went through after seeing the amount of work you're doing. wow. i already said that but wow.

I think that machine is worthy of the attention you're giving it. I love mine.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

wow, that's that's bordering on pathological but i'd surely buy a pin you went through after seeing the amount of work you're doing. wow. i already said that but wow.

errr, thanks... I think

here's where obsessiveness really kicks in. I'm not planning on letting this pin go, so I'm just doing it for myself. I just like everything look as close to new as I can get it... even the stuff most people will never see.

#29 12 years ago

Wow, nice work. How do you print the coil sleeves? Is there a place we can download those to print?

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

Wow, nice work. How do you print the coil sleeves? Is there a place we can download those to print?

Thanks! I made these for my own enjoyment but you can download similar ones from this site: http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/coil_wrappers.htm I think they look pretty good.

The type of paper and printing method is based on your resources. For mine I used a color laser printer on matte sticker stock. I wrap these around the stock paper that comes with the replacement coils. Another way to do it is to print them out on colored card stock and glue them... which would probably be a better option if you were wrapping over a bare coil.

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from ssathre:

I have a set of the JUDGE decals on the way. I didn't go with the entire set from pinballdecals.com though... I should have they look great, but damn their expensive! I spent the extra money on 3 radioactive black pearl pinballs for the captive balls.

Where did you buy the decals at?

#33 12 years ago

Just got done rebuilding a few of the flipper assemblies and thought I would share some comparisons of what they start out like and what they finish like.

New coils getting wrappers:

NewCoilNewWrapper.jpgNewCoilNewWrapper.jpg

Before cleaning and rebuild they look like this:

Before.jpgBefore.jpg

Final Product:

After.jpgAfter.jpg

#34 12 years ago

Nice work on the flippers! And the new coil wraps look great.

I was working on a flipper rebuild last night, tried to unscrew the coil stop and broke the weld from the bottom. Now I need to order a new base plate. It's funny - I waited to order parts as I worked my way through all the assemblies, my parts came in yesterday, now I'll have to place another order...

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from nutshell79:

broke the weld from the bottom.

Are you talking about the threaded inserts?

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from ssathre:

Are you talking about the threaded inserts?

Yes

#37 12 years ago

Damn, that must have been really stuck in there. I have never had one of those break. Generally I take the coil out, toss the pawl and EoS switch then soak the assembly in the parts washer for a couple of days before complete dis-assembly and cleaning. The stanasol has probably spared me that problem.

I guess I never paid that close of attention, but are those really welded in there or just pressed?

#38 12 years ago

I didn't get much done on this project over the weekend. We had a winter storm roll through the area and if having to dig out from that wasn't enough, we lost power in our data center at work. Spent most of the afternoon/evening trying to get the systems back up and running.

I did manage to finish the cleaning and rebuilding of all the coil assemblies... new wrappers and coils sleeves for each. Hopefully my GI lamps that were back ordered get here early this week so I can start re-assembly. I'm itching to play!

Here they are, all shiny and new looking:

coil_assembies.jpgcoil_assembies.jpg

#39 12 years ago

I should have got this done monday but I finally got around to yanking the Playfield tonight. I'm still working out of the gameroom and my basement until the shop gets finished so I do the bulk of the dis-assembly while its in the cabinet. Not an ideal way of doing it but it makes carrying it downstairs to the rotisserie easier.

Everything will be removed, wiring cleaned and the bottom of the playfield sanded clean. Once all that is done its on to re-assembly.

PlayfieldOut.jpgPlayfieldOut.jpg LowerPF.jpgLowerPF.jpg

#40 12 years ago

I can't believe I haven't been following this thread. Awesome work ssathre!

#41 12 years ago

Why are you using 2 flipper return springs? JD should only have the outer one. The inner ones are not necessary and will chew up the plastic link on the flipper plunger.

#42 12 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Why are you using 2 flipper return springs? JD should only have the outer one. The inner ones are not necessary and will chew up the plastic link on the flipper plunger.

just cleaning/replacing what was there in the first place.

#43 12 years ago

Ahh, well, if you look at the parts diagram in your manual, someone had one too many return springs in each flipper assy

#44 12 years ago

I did, and thank you!

2 months later
#45 12 years ago

Just found this thread and would love to see an update on your progress with Judge Dredd. I am in the midst of my own Judge Dredd shop job. You've inspired me to do more than I had planned and so I started to completely strip the underside of the playfield last night so that I can really clean and refurbish every part.

I have seen that on many Judge Dredd's the large inserts near the JUDGE targets seem to always be raised and have the clear coat cracked around their edges. Was yours like that? The cracking on mine is bad enough to make me worry that it'll get chewed up there with lots of gameplay and so I am now seriously contemplating having it professionally clear coated. I'll lower all of the inserts beforehand and have purchased a 12" deep throat c-clamp just for that job.

You have also inspired me to have a go at regraining my stainless ball guides. I don't have the equipment so will have to go out and get some - this machine is starting to get very expensive

8 months later
#46 11 years ago

Wow. I didn't realise the extent to which some people go with their shop jobs!

I just bought my first JD today and this has inspired me to do more with mine, but I'd love to see an update ssathre!

#47 11 years ago

Bump

#48 11 years ago

I'm also following this thread.....when the time comes to shop my JD I will be all over this thread......again.

1 week later
#49 11 years ago

Bump.

5 months later
#50 10 years ago

Moar.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
Boards
PinSound

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shop-job-log-judge-dredd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.