(Topic ID: 195169)

Shooter Sleeve

By GreenMarine

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    7a0fe252f7f6ad0888a5e997db93037970ff92f9 (resized).jpg
    1486317740_maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20170809_010221 (resized).jpg
    51u6Rq84T5L (resized).jpg
    square-peg-round-hole (resized).jpg
    200_s (resized).png
    th (resized).jpg
    IMG_0115 (resized).JPG
    20170807_011151 (resized).jpg
    20170729_003421 (resized).jpg
    20170807_010553 (resized).jpg

There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 6 years ago

Hi,

Maybe a stupid question here but I just powder coated my shooter rod. It seems to have gained some size. The shooter sleeve is not fitting now. Is it truly necessary to use a shooter sleeve? Any answers are appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

Is it truly necessary to have a powder coated shooter rod?

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Is it truly necessary to have a powder coated shooter rod?

It does look cool man. Didn't realize it would add so much size to the diameter.

#4 6 years ago

We need pics of the rod to come to a verdict.

#5 6 years ago

This is going to be the most awesome thread this year. YES we need pics! And, yes, you need a shooter tip.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

This is going to be the most awesome thread this year. YES we need pics! And, yes, you need a shooter tip.

Lol!! Sleeve not tip.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

Hi,
    Maybe a stupid question here but I just powder coated my shooter rod. It seems to have gained some size. The shooter sleeve is not fitting now. Is it truly necessary to use a shooter sleeve? Any answers are appreciated.

I think you have a nice new shelf ornament.

Rob

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Fits through the housing. Only issue is sleeve.

#9 6 years ago

Yes you need a shooter spring.....it feels funny without it.

#10 6 years ago

I've heard it all, why in the hell would you powdercoat the rod? Now you know your answer, yes you need a sleeve and now you need another rod.

#12 6 years ago

We need the year, make, and model to help you get the correct parts.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gnatty:

I've heard it all, why in the hell would you powdercoat the rod? Now you know your answer, yes you need a sleeve and now you need another rod.

To match the rest of the powder coated parts. Well if I need it I guess I just need to find something that's similar that will fit. Open up your minds and you can find a solution to almost anything.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

Lol!! Sleeve not tip.

Oops. Now I feel stupid. I still think you need it. You may not get good alignment without, and it may not move smoothly.

Where are our pictures?

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Or if you get a second one ,you can take drum lessons.

#17 6 years ago

Get a dowel rod and wrap really fine sand paper around it and run it through the sleeve until if fits. Wash it out with dawn dish detergent and a wet paper towel.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Get a dowel rod and wrap really fine sand paper around it and run it through the sleeve until if fits. Wash it out with dawn dish detergent and a wet paper towel.

See... this is what I've been waiting for. Someone with actual solutions to a problem. Thank you Travish!!

#20 6 years ago

You need it in some shape or form. The metal mousing will wear through the powder coating. I’m worried that you’ll have more friction with the shooter rod as a result. But try it and see if it works out.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

I’m worried that you’ll have more friction with the shooter rod as a result.

If parts are available. Now might be a good time to get a new shooter rod and housing it rides in, as spares. In case future wear becomes a problem.

LTG : )

#22 6 years ago

Powder coating probably won't hold up to well rubbing on the metal of the housing. It's basically just paint.

The nylon sleeve is necessary to allow the shooter rod to glide smoothly.

A lot of people add custom shooter rods that have various styles of knob on them, but powder coating a functional part impedes that function.

#23 6 years ago

Probably the only way it lasts is to drill out the housing and put in an oversized nylon bushing...brass would kill the powder as well..suspect it could be done....sure would like to see a pic of this...

#24 6 years ago

If you really did this, guessing you did the barrel Spring too....color? Game?

#25 6 years ago

I say no one else offers any advice until we get a picture. It is ridiculous that we have gone this long without.

#26 6 years ago

I'm surprised with all the modders out there, noone has offered powder coated shooter rods yet.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm surprised with all the modders out there, noone has offered powder coated shooter rods yet.

I don't see how it can work. A dirty shooter sleeve can make plunging a suck experience and that is with machined steel for the rod.

But it would help to know the game at least, I didn't see that.

#28 6 years ago

Gonna post a pic tonight fellas. I think I can make it work but if worse comes to worse I could always just ask my powder coater to strip the actual rod portion.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

Gonna post a pic tonight fellas. I think I can make it work but if worse comes to worse I could always just ask my powder coater to strip the actual rod portion.

?????....think this pic will prove to validate " a picture worth a thousand words" saying....I'm officially very confused now...

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

?????....think this pic will prove to validate " a picture worth a thousand words" saying....I'm officially very confused now...

I don't know man. People want to see a pic so I'm gonna give them one.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

Make sure the whole shaft is in the pic. From the shooter handle to the tip.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

Its just something that is not usually done, even in mod land, as it has a definite " pro vs. Con" aspect.

The pic will help validate the whole thing...just my take

#33 6 years ago

Ok, here are some pics. Like I said, everything fits but the sleeve. This is not some cheap powder coat job. This is solid and looks even better in person.

20170807_010553 (resized).jpg20170807_010553 (resized).jpg

20170729_003421 (resized).jpg20170729_003421 (resized).jpg

#34 6 years ago

One more for good measure.

20170807_011151 (resized).jpg20170807_011151 (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago

IMG_0115 (resized).JPGIMG_0115 (resized).JPG

#36 6 years ago

I kind of think you went a little overboard with the powder coating....

#37 6 years ago

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

Make sure the whole shaft is in the pic. From the shooter handle to the tip.

That's what she said.

#40 6 years ago

Probably not going to work. Just imagine powder coating your own shaft and tip. Would that work?

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Probably not going to work. Just imagine powder coating your own shaft and tip. Would that work?

If I could I would. Love me some powder coating.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

If I could I would. Love me some powder coating.

This is quite obvious....

Good luck.....

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

Ok, here are some pics. Like I said, everything fits but the sleeve. This is not some cheap powder coat job. This is solid and looks even better in person.

looks good and will hold up way longer than brass ever will.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

looks good and will hold up way longer than brass ever will.

Finally, someone who likes my powder coating madness. Thank you sir!!

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Be cool if it would glow in the dark. lol

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Be cool if it would glow in the dark. lol

Where there's a will there's a way...

#47 6 years ago

I think you should get the leg bolts done as well. I'm sure that it wont come off when you screw them into the cabinet. And just think how cool it would look on the inside of the cabinet when you open it up to show others the threads that are sticking out and that you actually did it. Might as well go all out, right?

John

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I think you should get the leg bolts done as well. I'm sure that it wont come off when you screw them into the cabinet. And just think how cool it would look on the inside of the cabinet when you open it up to show others the threads that are sticking out and that you actually did it. Might as go all out, right?

John

#49 6 years ago

This is a thread that I don't know how much is for real or how much is pinside sarcasm.

There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shooter-sleeve?hl=greenmarine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.