(Topic ID: 195169)

Shooter Sleeve

By GreenMarine

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    7a0fe252f7f6ad0888a5e997db93037970ff92f9 (resized).jpg
    1486317740_maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20170809_010221 (resized).jpg
    51u6Rq84T5L (resized).jpg
    square-peg-round-hole (resized).jpg
    200_s (resized).png
    th (resized).jpg
    IMG_0115 (resized).JPG
    20170807_011151 (resized).jpg
    20170729_003421 (resized).jpg
    20170807_010553 (resized).jpg
    There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #102 6 years ago

Y'all are making this WAY to difficult. Ream/file/drill the housing so a sleeve fits and sand down the inside of the sleeve with a dowel or drill bit with sand paper wrapped around it.

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No. I think many find this refreshing, compared to some of the hate filled threads.
    You have a unique perspective on shooter rods and not too many threads have WTF, LOL, and all those initial thingys going on.
    I hope you figure a way to make it work.
    LTG : )

Completely agree Lloyd.....it's a thread you can't let go because..... part is disbelief, part is good natured fun, and no hate whatsoever. A refreshing change from what goes around here most times....

#104 6 years ago

I know some guys just don't give a you know what about the overall cosmetics and just care about gameplay. I personally enjoy both aspects. I believe that these machines are somewhat works of art that can be personalized with mods, powder coats, etc... I will always aim to make my games unique. Whether it's creating my own mod or powder coating parts nobody else would powder coat. It opens up an additional fun factor for me. I believe the rod looks awesome and there's nothing that anybody can say to make me feel different. Now if I get it to work, that's another story. I believe I can but if not, it still made for a pretty good thread.

#105 6 years ago

I prefer the glow in the dark shooter sleeves.

51u6Rq84T5L (resized).jpg51u6Rq84T5L (resized).jpg

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

I wanted the end ball of the shooter rod to match the rest of the powder coated parts. So the whole thing was powder coated.

Have no fear, o-din is here.

Since you only wanted the end ball to match, take the shaft part to a wire wheel and remove the paint only on it.

Then you will have the painted ball you desire, and the function you require.

#107 6 years ago

So the current sleeve just fits in the housing. Tight squeeze. Lol!!

20170809_010221 (resized).jpg20170809_010221 (resized).jpg

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Have no fear, o-din is here.
    Since you only wanted the end ball to match, take the shaft part to a wire wheel and remove the paint only on it.
    Then you will have the painted ball you desire, and the function you require.

Was thinking about stripping paint but that's a last resort at this point. It's gonna be good times getting this to work. No turning back.

#109 6 years ago

Then I hope you did the outside spring too or it's gonna look funky.

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Did you try powdercoating the cat shit to see if it fit in the litterbox better?

that would be more functional than what this shooter rod assembly ever will be.

Even if you get this to work. It will work for MAYBE 100 plunges. Then you know what happens? The powdercoat starts to scrape off. WHat happens when it scrapes off? IT becomes a powder paste. WHat does that lead to? A jammed up shooter housing. Now your nice slippery slide action you had, with steel against plastic. Is now a paint/powdercoat powder shitmess, all jammed up inside your housing. So it's going to be nice looking useless catshit.

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

So the current sleeve just fits in the housing. Tight squeeze. Lol!!

Powdercoated housings are a common mod, as are custom rod HANDLES only ( all of mine glow)....complete trurh....you really need to get that off the rod, leave it on the handle, and powder the barrel spring.

You'll still get the effect you're looking for, and game will play fine. You only see about 1.5" anyway (except when briefly plunging), and the barrel spring w handle gives the look you are after.

Risk vs reward way to great here.....take this route and enjoy your game.....fun post, however....thanks

#112 6 years ago

You need to powder coat all the rubber rings too!
    Hey, seriously though, is the ball on the end of the shooter rod metal? I guess it must be if it is powder coated. I have just not seen a shooter rod with a metal ball, only plastic...

NM, answered my own Q. I guess these metal ones are just way above my pay grade! Yikes!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that would be more functional than what this shooter rod assembly ever will be.
    Even if you get this to work. It will work for MAYBE 100 plunges. Then you know what happens? The powdercoat starts to scrape off. WHat happens when it scrapes off? IT becomes a powder paste. WHat does that lead to? A jammed up shooter housing. Now your nice slippery slide action you had, with steel against plastic. Is now a paint/powdercoat powder shitmess, all jammed up inside your housing. So it's going to be nice looking useless catshit.

Exactly! This is why powder coating a shooter rod shaft makes no sense, shiny steel on a shooter sleeve is the only way this concept works over time. And the fact that you literally only see about an inch of it under the spring barrel makes this idea comical.

#114 6 years ago

I mean, I understand you think it's awesome and all, but I'm sure the guy who did this thought it was awesome too.

Riced OutRiced Out

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I mean, I understand you think it's awesome and all, but I'm sure the guy who did this thought it was awesome too.

That's awesome!!

#116 6 years ago

This thread turned into a "I don't like it so it must be stupid" fest

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

This thread turned into a "I don't like it so it must be stupid" fest

It physically doesn't work, so it's a bit more nuanced than that.

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

It physically doesn't work, so it's a bit more nuanced than that.

Give the guy some time.

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Oops. Now I feel stupid. I still think you need it. You may not get good alignment without, and it may not move smoothly.
    Where are our pictures?

Not to mention to protect the shooter rod surface.

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Give the guy some time.

it will not work, it can't work and it's just going to bind up soon after even if he does manage to get it working for awhile. even if it does work for a bit, it's going to work like crap the entire time, because powdercoat provides at least 78% more resistance, than smooth steel.

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it will not work, it can't work and it's just going to bind up soon after even if he does manage to get it working for awhile. even if it does work for a bit, it's going to work like crap the entire time, because powdercoat provides at least 78% more resistance, than smooth steel.

Well, the good news is, on TOM the plunger really doesn't have to do much. Only 78 % force is needed compared to other games to get the ball into play.

#122 6 years ago

i say put it on with the powder coat and leave it all gold. that way you can't play it, and in 20 years it will be in excellent shape.....

#123 6 years ago

that is true. If it was TOTAN that would be even more of a shitfest

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Let him find that out for himself, it's his pin, he can do what he wants with it.

#125 6 years ago

Do you have access to a Bridgeport machine?

#126 6 years ago

It could work, without binding. It is just going to be a pain to get the fit correct and find a sleeve that will fit. I am following this thread because I want to see the outcome from a hardware standpoint. For now, just remember. Opinions are like buttholes.

#127 6 years ago
    Quoted from wizard_mode:

Opinions are like buttholes.

i think this shooter rod would fit in a butthole without modification

#128 6 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

i think this shooter rod would fit in a butthole without modification

But would it fit if you powder coated both the rod and the butthole?

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

will always aim to make my games unique.

I have NO issue with this...

I repainted my entire Crescendo playfield with UV-reactive highlights and clearcoated it.
    I came up with a new mod for Tron when I was on my 2nd one.
    I put googley-eyes on my STTNG that had full purple armor, and it sold at TPF.
    I'm going to fully convert my WPT into a Voltron custom pin.

Where you've run into problems is that you brought the issue here looking for advice, then chose to completely IGNORE that advice and not even consider the fact that you might be the one in the wrong. This isn't the "mod removers club" thread... I don't think anyone at all gives a hoot that you were trying to do something unique..most of us like that. But the way you went about it without considering the consequence, and then the willful ignorance and stubbornness.....meh. It went from just simply being absurd and funny to bordering on wondering if this entire thing was, and continues to be, a finely engineered troll post.

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

But would it fit if you powder coated both the rod and the butthole?

Probably, even if you don't smear novus 2 all over it first.

#131 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I repainted my entire Crescendo playfield with UV-reactive highlights and clearcoated it.
    Where you've run into problems is that you brought the issue here looking for advice, then chose to completely IGNORE that advice and not even consider the fact that you might be the one in the wrong. This isn't the "mod removers club" thread... I don't think anyone at all gives a hoot that you were trying to do something unique..most of us like that. But the way you went about it without considering the consequence, and then the willful ignorance and stubbornness.....meh. It went from just simply being absurd and funny to bordering on wondering if this entire thing was, and continues to be, a finely engineered troll post.

Pinside created this powdercoated monster. And now, like the vicious Sloth Bear, it wants to eat it's young.

Time to give it a rest. Pinside is so funny...it's generally frowned upon to violate the "be nice" rule, but every now and then there is one these near-unanimous monkey piles where it's considered "ok" to abuse somebody and everybody gets in on it and lets out all of their pent up aggression.

The guy knows we all think he's doing something pretty stupid and he doesn't care. At this point we've all gotten our licks in and another 2 pages of us telling him an idiot isn't gonna change anything.

So I say Semper Fi - it's time to help this Marine find his way back to base and powdercoat the shit out of the enemy base!

#132 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure that Pinside had nothing do with with the way he responded after asking for advice. And it's hilarious how nobody EVER says something like that when *I'm* the one getting trashed, and the dogpile is about 5x larger than this.

Violating the 'be nice' rule is frowned upon? Since when. This place has been a shark tank for a long time from what I can see. If you have any opinion outside the majority, you're going to get torn a new one on a semi-frequent basis....but I was used to that from the boards I used prior to this one so....whatever. Guess I have a thick skin...I've definitely been accused of the same thing I'm saying he's doing..being a stubborn mofo, so..

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Voltron custom pin.

F'n A! Where's the pics? Unite!

#134 6 years ago

Cmon GreenMarine shows these guys it can be done..I believe in you!!

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from wizard_mode:

F'n A! Where's the pics? Unite!

PM incoming. No need to derail thread here.

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I don't think the OP is ignoring advice. His question was do you need a shooter sleeve. The answer was yes. He is now trying to see if he can make this work in some way with the shooter sleeve. What he is ignoring is all the people who called him stupid and said that this will never work. It may be the case that this will never work, but he has already powder coated the rod, so he might as well try at this point. It's not like he was asking IF he should powder coat the rod. He already did. Having done it, why not try it? The worst that will happen is that it won't work, in which case he has a back-up clean rod and housing ready to install. I'm not sure why there is so much hostility to the OP in this thread. It's his game. Let him powder coat what he wants.

#137 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I don't think the OP is ignoring advice. His question was do you need a shooter sleeve. The answer was yes. He is now trying to see if he can make this work in some way with the shooter sleeve. What he is ignoring is all the people who called him stupid and said that this will never work. It may be the case that this will never work, but he has already powder coated the rod, so he might as well try at this point. It's not like he was asking IF he should powder coat the rod. He already did. Having done it, why not try it? The worst that will happen is that it won't work, in which case he has a back-up clean rod and housing ready to install. I'm not sure why there is so much hostility to the OP in this thread. It's his game. Let him powder coat what he wants.

Damn, I'm kinda surprised this thing is still going. Lmao!! Thank you Nokoro for letting these dimwits know exactly what I was thinking. Indeed, I asked if I needed a sleeve. Simple question. Answer was yes. Now my next step is creating a sleeve that will fit on the (I gotta say it because for some reason it bothers people) very nicely powder coated SHOOTER ROD. I find it sweet that some of you guys really care that much to tell me that powder coating a little f'n shooter rod is sooooo stupid over and over and over again. I kinda got it when the first guy said it... I know, I should have told the powder coater to not coat the shaft. Oh well, it's done. I could very easily go back and get the shaft stripped but I never back down from a challenge. And since most of the people that have posted on here think it can't be done, I will try to prove otherwise. As of now the game is up and running with back up but I'm still working on a solution for my very finely powder coated SHOOTER ROD. Oh yea boys. Come on say how stupid it is again. I like it!!

#138 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

Damn, I'm kinda surprised this thing is still going. Lmao!! Thank you Nokoro for letting these dimwits know exactly what I was thinking. Indeed, I asked if I needed a sleeve. Simple question. Answer was yes. Now my next step is creating a sleeve that will fit on the (I gotta say it because for some reason it bothers people) very nicely powder coated SHOOTER ROD. I find it sweet that some of you guys really care that much to tell me that powder coating a little f'n shooter rod is sooooo stupid over and over and over again. I kinda got it when the first guy said it... I know, I should have told the powder coater to not coat the shaft. Oh well, it's done. I could very easily go back and get the shaft stripped but I never back down from a challenge. And since most of the people that have posted on here think it can't be done, I will try to prove otherwise. As of now the game is up and running with back up but I'm still working on a solution for my very finely powder coated SHOOTER ROD. Oh yea boys. Come on say how stupid it is again. I like it!!

Lol you took the abuse pretty well, I enjoy the humor - good luck with your quest to sleeve your shooter! I do agree that you lost a lot of the slickness of the bare metal but as pointed out.. on TOM it doesn't matter much. Interested to see your final solution. Could wrap thin teflon around shooting housing hole?

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Lol you took the abuse pretty well, I enjoy the humor - good luck with your quest to sleeve your shooter! I do agree that you lost a lot of the slickness of the bare metal but as pointed out.. on TOM it doesn't matter much. Interested to see your final solution. Could wrap thin teflon around shooting housing hole?

I appreciate it man. I'm not easily rattled. Been called alot worse than stupid in my lifetime. Lol!! It's all in good fun. After all, pinball is just a game. We're all here to have fun so keep on powder coating baby!!

#140 6 years ago

7a0fe252f7f6ad0888a5e997db93037970ff92f9 (resized).jpg7a0fe252f7f6ad0888a5e997db93037970ff92f9 (resized).jpg

But on a serious note, have you considered taking all of the coils apart and powder coating the copper wire? It would look sharp as Hell.

#141 6 years ago

I agree with what others have said, drill the shooter housing oversized and 3d print a nylon or delrin bushing with an ID and OD to fit. It's not like shooter housings are rare, expensive parts to replace.

#142 6 years ago

For those reading this as a learning experience.

Also. Never ever powdercoat a drop target bank assembly. it will be useless and unable to work. Just in case anyone was wondering. nip it in the butt now, before someone attempts it.

#143 6 years ago

"Nip it in the butt"? lol

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

It went from just simply being absurd and funny to bordering on wondering if this entire thing was, and continues to be, a finely engineered troll post.

That was my suspicion from the get-go. And with the thread slowing down, the OP has resorted to name calling to get the ball rolling again. And it's working, he got me to respond.

#145 6 years ago

So, you guys think the OP purposefully powder coated a shooter rod for the sole purpose of starting a troll thread on pinside? Please have a little more faith in humanity.

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from johninc:

That was my suspicion from the get-go. And with the thread slowing down, the OP has resorted to name calling to get the ball rolling again. And it's working, he got me to respond.

He put up with quite a few members calling him names.

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

So, you guys think the OP purposefully powder coated a shooter rod for the sole purpose of starting a troll thread on pinside? Please have a little more faith in humanity.

Nah, but I'd believe that someone didn't specify to their PC place how to do it exactly, and then found it amusing and might have tried to get a rise out of the situation.

And yeah....I really don't know why anyone would have faith in humanity. We are about the dumbest creatures on the planet. #nosarcasmtag

#148 6 years ago

the OP has been a great sport about this, IMO. even if he doesn't get it to fit, at least he has a sense of humility. which unfortunately for him, you can't powder coat

#149 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

the OP has been a great sport about this, IMO. even if he doesn't get it to fit, at least he has a sense of humility. which unfortunately for him, you can't powder coat

But if you could...

IT'D BE FREAKIN GOLD AS S__T, DAWG!

#150 6 years ago

Been thinking... How does Jonny Golden Rod sound for my new Pinside ID??

There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shooter-sleeve/page/3?hl=greenmarine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.