(Topic ID: 195169)

Shooter Sleeve

By GreenMarine

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    7a0fe252f7f6ad0888a5e997db93037970ff92f9 (resized).jpg
    1486317740_maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20170809_010221 (resized).jpg
    51u6Rq84T5L (resized).jpg
    square-peg-round-hole (resized).jpg
    200_s (resized).png
    th (resized).jpg
    IMG_0115 (resized).JPG
    20170807_011151 (resized).jpg
    20170729_003421 (resized).jpg
    20170807_010553 (resized).jpg

There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 6 years ago

I think that shooter rod looks pretty awesome. I think you need to find a way to make this work.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I think you should get the leg bolts done as well. I'm sure that it wont come off when you screw them into the cabinet. And just think how cool it would look on the inside of the cabinet when you open it up to show others the threads that are sticking out and that you actually did it. Might as well go all out, right?

John

I think some individuals on this thread are jealous of my rod. It's all new, shiny and fresh. Theirs is probably all old and worn out. The ladies love my new rod. Get off my rod fellas!!

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I think that shooter rod looks pretty awesome. I think you need to find a way to make this work.

Thanks bud!! Definitely gonna try and make it work.

#54 6 years ago

That is the stupidest thing I've seen on Pinside in, like, a year.

Almost as good as the guy who clearcoated the back of his game.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

What makes it stupid? I wanted the end ball of the shooter rod to match the rest of the powder coated parts. So the whole thing was powder coated. Tell me why that is so stupid buddy?

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

What makes it stupid? I wanted the end ball of the shooter rod to match the rest of the powder coated parts. So the whole thing was powder coated. Tell me why that is so stupid buddy?

if you can't tell why it's stupid by looking at it, or by seeing that the parts no longer fit together, you're beyond the point where explaining it will make you understand.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

I wanted the end ball of the shooter rod to match the rest of the powder coated parts. So the whole thing was powder coated. Tell me why that is so stupid buddy?

Form over function--cosmetics have taken precedence over how it is supposed to operate, and impedes its ability to operate correctly.

#58 6 years ago

I'm gonna nominate this for the 2017 Pinball Darwin Award.

I will admit to doing something like this once. I painted the "tread" side of my Pinewood Derby race car wheels. I finished in last place.

Of course I was 8 at the time...

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

if you can't tell why it's stupid by looking at it, or by seeing that the parts no longer fit together, you're beyond the point where explaining it will make you understand.

So just because one little plastic sleeve doesn't fit that's what makes it stupid?? You weren't the best problem solver in school, were you?? I can easily get a sleeve made via a 3D printer. I was thinking about just stripping the shaft down to original but now that I see some of these comments I'm gonna make it work to show some individuals on here how to use their minds and be creative.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Form over function--cosmetics have taken precedence over how it is supposed to operate, and impedes its ability to operate correctly.

Tell me how it won't operate properly?

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

You described it in your opening post of this thread.

Quoted from GreenMarine:

Maybe a stupid question here but I just powder coated my shooter rod. It seems to have gained some size. The shooter sleeve is not fitting now. Is it truly necessary to use a shooter sleeve? Any answers are appreciated.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

You don't have to be Stephen Hawking to understand that if you increase the amount of matter, it changes the size and dimensions of something.

You have made your shooter rod thicker. You have also made the shooter rod housing thicker.

Therefore the parts will no longer function as they were designed to. But who cares? They are now sparkly which is the important thing.

The Pinball Darwin Award is not without it's perks. The powerdercoated shooter rod will live on in pinball lore.

#63 6 years ago

If I get a sleeve that fits then I'm assuming it will operate, correct?

#64 6 years ago

SMH, I've seen it all now......Just because it CAN be powder coated DOESN'T mean it should be powder coated.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

You won't find one. You changed the dimensions of the parts.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You have made your shooter rod thicker. You have also made the shooter rod housing thicker.
    Therefore the parts will no longer function as they were designed to.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

OK lets try this again.

You've made the rod thicker.

You've made the hole the rod goes into thicker.

Do you think that wrapping a larger sleeve around the rod will solve the problem?

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You won't find one. You changed the dimensions of the parts.

I'll find one. I'm determined to make this simple part work the way I need it to.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

I'll find one. I'm determined to make this simple part work the way I need it to.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You've made the rod thicker.
    You've made the hole the rod goes into thicker.
    Do you think that wrapping a larger sleeve around the rod will solve the problem?

The rod has layer of powder coat, making the diameter larger.

The hole in the housing has a layer of powder coat, making the diameter smaller.

You have both made the rod larger and the hole smaller, which has compounded the problem of these two parts not fitting together properly.

So, other parts designed for the original measurements will not work (such as the sleeve). The size of a shooter rod is pretty much standard across all games, so there isn't a lot of variance in shooter sleeves.

#69 6 years ago

maybe if you powder coat the entire rest of the machine, rendering it completely useless, you won't have to think about it anymore. problem solved!

edit: winking smiley face added to keep it light-hearted

#70 6 years ago

You got to admire this guy's determination and conviction.

Don't dream it...be it!

#71 6 years ago

this reminds me of the time i powder coated my cat, sparkles. just seemed appropriate. but then he couldn't fit in the litter box anymore, so he started crapping on my bed when i was asleep. live and learn.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

this reminds me of the time i powder coated my cat, sparkles. just seemed appropriate. but then he couldn't fit in the litter box anymore, so he started crapping on my bed when i was asleep. live and learn.

Did you try powdercoating the cat shit to see if it fit in the litterbox better?

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

make this simple part work the way I need it to.

I wonder once it starts to wear, if it will wear evenly ? If not, it won't move in a straight line.

LTG : )

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I've got to agree, but at least it was good for a laugh. That picture is going to live in infamy.

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

You weren't the best problem solver in school, were you??

Says the guy that created this thread... LOL. You came here looking for advice instead of being able to solve the problem you created.

The funny part is that even you haven't realized, and refuse to accept what EVERYONE is telling you. The ONLY way you can fix this is to strip the powder from the plunger portion AND the inside of the housing, restoring them to their original size, or to find some way to PRECISELY AND EVENLY enlarge the hole, and then find a sleeve to fit that (hint: you won't find one, or it will be loose in the hole and then the plunger has too much wobble and strikes the ball at off angles and doesn't work correctly every time).

Like...really...why was the inside of the hole even done? Even your PC guy is a moron (or maybe just a greedy prick), if he was given any kind of appropriate information about the fit and function of these parts, for letting you do this in the first place.

200_s (resized).png200_s (resized).png

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The rod has layer of powder coat, making the diameter larger.
    The hole in the housing has a layer of powder coat, making the diameter smaller.
    You have both made the rod larger and the hole smaller, which has compounded the problem of these two parts not fitting together properly.

About 25 years ago someone had sent around 'joke' specifications for piping. The very first one was, "1. Be sure when specifying piping to select pipes where the I.D. is smaller than the O.D., otherwise the hole will be on the outside". This thread reminds me of that...

#77 6 years ago

Ok. You guys say it won't work. Well, won't hurt anything to try. Wish me luck on this endeavor!!

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

Wish me luck on this endeavor!!

I wish you luck. Calvin and Hobbes is in repeats, so this provides me with fresh laughs.

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

Wish me luck on this endeavor!!

You know. They laughed at Edison when he was trying to make a light bulb. Who's laughing now ?

Of course his machine to communicate with the dead didn't do as good.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You know. They laughed at Edison when he was trying to make a light bulb. Who's laughing now ?

Lloyd, I love you man... you're the best. I was going to post something along the lines of "Really? Did they really laugh at Edison or is this just a line that sounds good? He was a great scientist before the lightbulb, so I have my doubts anyone would really have laughed at him"

But then I realized it's Lloyd we're talking about... and if you say it's so, then it's so. Heck, you might even have been in the crowd laughing at him, right?

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

Ok. You guys say it won't work. Well, won't hurt anything to try. Wish me luck on this endeavor!!

Try not to hurt yourself.

So, if the bending of time, space, and matter doesn't work out, what are you going to do? Have someone bore out the shooter housing, and custom make a sleeve? A larger coil sleeve like one in a flipper coil might work.

#82 6 years ago

have you tried NOT powder coating the plunger? i've seen that work a few times.

#83 6 years ago

I say, go all in - powdercoat everything else too. The balls, the boards, the entire playfield. Just think how awesome that will be.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Heck, you might even have been in the crowd laughing at him, right?

Sitting back in a chaise lounge having a cold one. Entertainment like this doesn't come along every day. Though I probably would have run out of beer by the 1,001 came up that worked.

Don't forget his "don't forget his spirit phone".

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A larger coil sleeve like one in a flipper coil might work.

If a coil sleeve has a larger diameter than a shooter rod sleeve, wouldn't that mean that the coil sleeve wouldn't fit in the housing because it's an even smaller opening now?

#86 6 years ago

This is GOLD!

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If a coil sleeve has a larger diameter than a shooter rod sleeve, wouldn't that mean that the coil sleeve wouldn't fit in the housing because it's an even smaller opening now?

always, with the semantics...

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yup. That's why he's gonna have to bore out the shooter housing hole and make it larger.

It's gonna get uglier before it gets prettier.

Unlike you guys who are in the pointing and laughing business, I'm in the problem solving business.

LET'S DO THIS!

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yup. That's why he's gonna have to bore out the shooter housing hole and make it larger.
    Unlike you guys who are in the pointing and laughing business, I'm in the problem solving business.
    LET'S DO THIS!

Like your style brother!!

#90 6 years ago

square-peg-round-hole (resized).jpgsquare-peg-round-hole (resized).jpg

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LET'S DO THIS!

90 posts.....wow!!!! I think I mentioned boring the housing and installing a custom sleeve (or dual brass versions). Better get the micrometer ready.....

My new idea (fits the thread).....I think he should put the rod in a precision lathe, calculate the total thickness of the coating, and simply shave the rod down to size, then powder it again......problem solved, and w stock bushing!!!!!

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

My new idea (fits the thread).....I think he should put the rod in a precision lathe, calculate the total thickness of the coating, and simply shave the rod down to size, then powder it again......problem solved, and w stock bushing!!!!!

Genius!

#94 6 years ago

I don't know why everyone is so negative on the OP. He tried something and wants to see if he can make it work. It's not like he powder coated his whole machine and made it completely inoperable. He just did the shooter rod. If this works out, it could look really cool. If it doesn't work out, no big deal. He'll get another shooter rod and housing.

Now to help: How thick is powder coating anyway? About 1/10 of a mm? He should be able to fix the inside of the housing with a drill bit to remove the coating from that area. Then, if he can 3D print a slightly larger sleeve or gently sand out 1/10 of a mm of the inside of the standard sleeve, he might just get this to work.

I, for one, applaud the effort.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

Like your style brother!!

I feel like this is something we could pretty easily 3d print. Let me know if you need help creating the stl file for this. I also have a robo 3d r2 if we want to give it a few test prints

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I don't know why everyone is so negative on the OP. He tried something and wants to see if he can make it work. It's not like he powder coated his whole machine and made it completely inoperable. He just did the shooter rod. If this works out, it could look really cool. If it doesn't work out, no big deal. He'll get another shooter rod and housing.
    Now to help: How thick is powder coating anyway? About 1/10 of a mm? He should be able to fix the inside of the housing with a drill bit to remove the coating from that area. Then, if he can 3D print a slightly larger sleeve or gently sand out 1/10 of a mm of the inside of the standard sleeve, he might just get this to work.
    I, for one, applaud the effort.

Thanks Nokoro. I feel like these dudes are just waiting to pounce on someone that does something against the grain. I have another rod that I can easily install but what fun is that?? I'm glad I created a semi entertaining thread here.

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from darcangeloel:

I feel like this is something we could pretty easily 3d print. Let me know if you need help creating the stl file for this. I also have a robo 3d r2 if we want to give it a few test prints

Thanks Darcangeloel!! I think that might sound like a plan.

#98 6 years ago

Forget about a new coil sleeve. If you really wanna do this, you will need to decrease the amount diameter of the shooter rod, then powdercoat back to the original diameter.

#99 6 years ago

I'd try to shave down the inner diameter of the housing before messing with the rod. You can do it!!

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

I feel like these dudes are just waiting to pounce on someone that does something against the grain.

No. I think many find this refreshing, compared to some of the hate filled threads.

You have a unique perspective on shooter rods and not too many threads have WTF, LOL, and all those initial thingys going on.

I hope you figure a way to make it work.

There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shooter-sleeve/page/2?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.