280 (resized).jpg
275 (resized).jpg
273 (resized).jpg
274 (resized).jpg
IMG_1449 (resized).jpg
IMG_1447 (resized).jpg
IMG_1446 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I just completed a shooter lane restoration on my 30+ year old Whirlwind. Before picture shows all sorts of wear and discoloration. Not the worst, but, looks bad compared to the rest of my machine.

What I did:

- Taped up stuff nearby with blue painters tape to protect it. Got a vacuum cleaner ready for dust.
- Got 100, 200, 400, 600 grit sandpaper
- Used scissors to cut the sandpaper into strips that would "fit" in the shooter lane without scratching up everything else.
- Sanded BY HAND slowly and carefully. Took a few hours. Many pieces of sandpaper. Fingers are sore.
- Vacuumed between each sanding
- Damp paper towel for final clean up of dust. Let everything dry.
- Used SMALL brush and Polyurethane to put on a couple/few coats. Let it dry and air out. Be patient!!!
- Wet sand using 600 grit paper
- Final coat (again using small brush). Let it dry overnight.
- A little wax and DONE!

You might need more/less coats depending on how thick you put it on or how much sanding you do.

IMG_1446 (resized).jpgIMG_1446 (resized).jpgIMG_1447 (resized).jpgIMG_1447 (resized).jpgIMG_1449 (resized).jpgIMG_1449 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Nice job

#3 3 years ago

You can also use a dowel that matches the diameter of the shooter lane and wrap sandpaper around it. That maintains the shape.

#4 3 years ago

Last year I had a really nasty shooter lane on my Grand Prix I rescued from a shed.
274 (resized).jpg274 (resized).jpg

After brushing all of the debris and dirt out of the pores of the wood the best I can I sanded it down with a socket wrapped in sandpaper. I think I used 120,220 and finished with 400. I checked with a long straight edge often to ensure I wasn't putting in any dips of bumps along the lane.
273 (resized).jpg273 (resized).jpg
283 (resized).jpg283 (resized).jpg

That left it smooth, but still had loads of dirt embedded in the fibers in the wood, and made a weird snakeskin pattern.
275 (resized).jpg275 (resized).jpg
280 (resized).jpg280 (resized).jpg

Not wanting to dig any deeper, and alter the shape and depth of the lane I mixed up some acrylic I applied with my finger to fill in the pores with a paint that matched the surrounding wood.
301 (resized).jpg301 (resized).jpg
313 (resized).jpg313 (resized).jpg

All of the ruts and imperfections in the surface were still there, but now they were masked a bit by the paint. You could still see the faint grain of the natural wood through it.

After that I buried it in many coats of clear.
349 (resized).jpg349 (resized).jpg

And the finished product.
398 (resized).jpg398 (resized).jpg

I'm pretty happy about how it came out. If I had elected to sand out the dirt pattern down to clear wood I feel that I'd have to remove at least a 1/16" and I didn't want to alter the shooter lane that much.

-Paul

#5 3 years ago

Wow- I literally was about to do the same project on my Wheel of Fortune's beat up shooter lane. Great to observe someone else's work!

Any recommendations for a brush-on or spray-on clear to use for a Stern shooter lane? (This is basically a touch-up, not a "take apart the whole playfield and airbrush clear in a paint booth" project).

#6 3 years ago

Two things:

- Pablito350's idea of using a color matched paint is VERY CLEVER for lanes that are really hurting! Saves the playfield! Fortunately, for me, mine didn't need deep sanding. Also, using the socket is clever too!

- Vid's restoration post and tips has folks using a spray poly and a "jig" to get it right. Personally, I liked using the tiny brush. I had plenty of control to feather and it didn't get anywhere except where I wanted it to go. Easy for touch-up.

My main advice is give yourself a couple/few days, take your time. Honestly, I did this once, it'll be good for decades now!

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from rmf-pinball:

Two things:
- Pablito350's idea of using a color matched paint is VERY CLEVER for lanes that are really hurting! Saves the playfield! Fortunately, for me, mine didn't need deep sanding. Also, using the socket is clever too!

If I wanted to sand through all the mess to good clean wood I'd still be sanding! While what I did is not ideal, I felt it was for this particular playfield.

As far as clearing to protect your work you could also mix up a few ounces of 2 part auto clear, and brush it on as well.

I'd love to see more ideas!

-Paul

2 years later
#8 82 days ago

Nice
Mine lane is worn to a point where the rod hits the ball to high and there is no adjustment left.
Any suggestions to build it up?
and is the the clear holding up?

#9 82 days ago

lower the shooter rod assembly , loosen screws and nuts , there should be some wiggle room

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shooter-lane-restoration?hl=rmf-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.